PDA

View Full Version : Dymond "DOUBLE BLITZ" 81"

donjiskra
11-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Anyone familiar with this plane???
It is supposed to be a glider also, not a "Hotliner"

Jason T
11-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Wow, that is very interesting. I have not seen that one before. Who makes it?

donjiskra
11-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Don't know, but Dymond sells itfor $125.00
http://www.rc-dymond.com/Electric/ElectricGliders/60166Doubleblitz.htm

gwright
11-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Was a flying wing. One of the locals here in florida (Chip Bullen) added twin booms and the horizontal stab. Showed it to helmut at an event a couple years ago and made some sort of business arrangement with him I think. It's now a full kit. No, not a hotliner,.. a true glider,.. with a bit of character due to the planform. Flies very well.

donjiskra
11-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks to gwright's comment and Google here's what I've discovered:
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS REDESIGN CONTEST FEB. 2003:

3rd Place
CHIP BULLEN, PALM BAY, FL Dymond Modelsports Blitz flying wing
For his efforts and ingenuity, Chip garners the third spot and $100 for his reworked Blitz flying wing. He used the T.L.A.R. (that looks about right!) method to design the booms, vertical fins and stabilizer. The booms are removable, as is the stabilizer, for ease of transportation. Great job, Chip!

At least we now know its origin!!!

A fellow modeler had this to say about the "Double Blitz":
"Dymond doesn't say who is making the Blitz for them, I've got Himax 480 brushless motors in it with sub C cells 10 packs. It does look great in the air, but with my setup, it's heavy in my opinion."

Anyone else have experience with it? Perhaps with LIPO's???
Your comments are appreciated.

donjiskra
11-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Here's some insightful information from Dymond (in blue):

1- Who is the manufacturer?
1.Dymond
2-Is it an ARF?
2.ARF
3-I would like to use one single brushless outrunner in tractor mode, what motor and folding propellor would you recommend?
3. May I recommend our Gunther 15/4 motor $ 59. Can swing a 11x5.5 or similar and draws only 34 A at 12 Volts
Needs a 60 A ESC $ 79 all available from Dymond.
Use a 40 mm alumin spinner for 5 mm shaft $ 14.94 folding blades are $ 14
4-I plan to use a 3s1p Li-Po battery pack in order to reduce weight.
4. Battery 3S 2P made from our 2000 cells $ 35 each pack so $ 70 for the battery 8 oz for both
6-Are there any reviews or videos available? I can't find much information about this awesome looking model and I am intrigued.
6-We designed this model and many are flying.
Good roll rate and excellent glide ratio. Unique looks

Silverhawk
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I saw the first one fly at NEAT about 3 years ago. It now only looks different but it appeared to fly as good as it looks.

I heard the mention that the addition of the tail feathers was partly to overcome the flying wing stigma but mostly to give better float control.

I would have one now but other planes got in the flying account before this hit the market. Maybe if I sell a couple of things. :D

TeslaWinger
12-15-2005, 04:44 PM
My original Blitz flies just fine as a flying wing and I felt that the pitch was not overly sensitive at all. The wing is bridged with center tubes thru balsa ribs and I had to open it up and reinforce them with plywood after a wee mishap, as the wings would 'flap' in turbulence due to fractured ribs, which got me some 'ribbing' from the crew- ornithopter indeed!

The other mod, after knocking the beak off it was to reshape the fuse to be flush with the top surface, adding some more useful wing area and some serious sleekness.

It is stable and very responsive and the glide is great as a FW should be. My problem was that I used such heavy NIMHs in it-(8 3000ma) with a Phasor 15/4 and a heavy aluminum geardrive that it was a bear to land but it was very fast and clean and climbed like crazy! A light powerful brushless and reasonably sized batteries would do wonders to lighten it up. It is the fastest plane I have ever owned!

Besides, that tail mod makes it just beg for a turbine- and there goes the neighborhood!

Dorsal
04-10-2007, 11:01 AM
:cool: