PDA

View Full Version : B-29, four (yes 4) chainsaw engines

sherwi@sbcglobal.net
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Cut and past the following web page for some interesting RC flying.

Sherrill

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

Gnascher
09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Every time I see that video I cringe when he starts those motors. It's only going to take a careless moment and he's gonna get nipped by those props. Watch how cavalier he is as he removes his hand from the engine nacelles after starting each motor.

That "cringe factor" aside, I can't watch that video too many times ... that is one incredible bird.

FlyingMonkey
09-18-2007, 01:35 AM
You mean this guy?

This plane?

I have met Mac, what a great guy!

And he makes that giant plane dance in the air.

firemanbill
09-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Great plane but they are not chainsaw engines... they are ZDZ 80RV RC engines. 41370

Here is the info page on the Aircraft.

http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/The%20Present.htm

Still, either way it is really awesome.

And once again Wilbur is right... Mac is a super nice guy.

Murocflyer
09-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I've heard that chainsaw motor error before. I wonder where that is coming from? Maybe from that email going around -for the past three years?

Frank

firemanbill
09-18-2007, 02:23 AM
funny how things like that get started and just keep on rolling,

No offense meant Sherrill.:D Just wanted to help clarify

Murocflyer
09-18-2007, 03:07 AM
You bet, no offense at all.

It is an awesome video.

Frank

sherwi@sbcglobal.net
09-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Sorry about that, this was the first time I ran across this project and was really amazed by it. I did not check out the web site to see if it was all accurate or not, so I will take the word of the group for it with no offense at all.

Sherrill

FlyingMonkey
09-18-2007, 04:03 AM
My last visit, I got to watch him pull the motors apart (I hope he got them back together right...) to overhaul them.

I can assure that they were NOT chainsaw engines. Not even weedwhacker engines.

MikeMc
09-18-2007, 04:24 AM
I think I hate the outside loop and inverted pass more than the crackass starting technique.

hahaha... crackass is such a funny word.

FlyingMonkey
09-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Hate?

HATE?!?!?

It's beautiful!

A testament to the builder of the airplane, as well as the pilot.

Grasshopper
09-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Hate?

HATE?!?!?

It's beautiful!

And the Cojones to fly that thing inverted 5 feet off the ground.

MikeMc
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Hate?

HATE?!?!?

It's beautiful!

Did I say anything about the builder or the plane?

aviatordave
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Cool video! looks like he has flown that plane for awhile, quite relaxed as I would be nervous...

stevecooper
09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Sherrill ::: I used a Weed eater engine on one years ago an she shook herself to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!your bub, stevecooper

stinkweed007
09-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I think I hate the outside loop and inverted pass more than the crackass starting technique.

hahaha... crackass is such a funny word.

Not really sure how you mean that. But that routine with the X1 and the B29 is becoming one of the most talked about displays in RC.

MikeMc
09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Not really sure how you mean that. But that routine with the X1 and the B29 is becoming one of the most talked about displays in RC.
What's not clear? In the video I saw the B29 doing an outside loop and inverted passes. I'm pretty sure full scale B29s did neither of those. Cool plane and awesome builder/pilot but the very non-scaleness of the for mentioned maneuvers, and that turns me off.

firemanbill
09-19-2007, 12:56 AM
No offense Mike and I can see your point about scaleness but I think you are in the minority in being turned off ny that plane and display.

One of the most awesome things I have ever seen! And to see it live in person is even more awesome.

Gnascher
09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
What's not clear? In the video I saw the B29 doing an outside loop and inverted passes. I'm pretty sure full scale B29s did neither of those. Cool plane and awesome builder/pilot but the very non-scaleness of the for mentioned maneuvers, and that turns me off.

Well, I think that the early part of the display is pretty scale ... including the flat spin and bailing crew.

After the 'scale' part of the show, they show off a bit and display the model's full potential. There's something in there for everyone. If you don't like the part where he "wrings it out" a bit ... stop the video after the pilots bail and pretend it crashed!

FlyingMonkey
09-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Mike we're not "ganging up" on you.

But, let's review.

You said to a group of RC enthusiasts that you hated a virtual icon of our hobby.

You didn't say that you disliked the unscalelike flying, you said.

"I think I hate the outside loop and inverted pass more than the crackass starting technique."

You might as well walk into Petco and say you hate puppies, and then insult Cesar the Dog Whisperer. And then act like you don't know why the patrons argue with you.

aviatordave
09-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Out of the 10 people who posted so far we have only 1 that didnt really care for the video. 90% = good, 10% = bad....not bad odds. To each his own :) We will agree on something later I'm sure.

FlyingMonkey
09-19-2007, 02:49 AM
hated the Movie, I enjoyed the book much better...

sherwi@sbcglobal.net
09-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to open a hornets nest. I only saw an amazing flight and wanted to share, even though I had the wrong engines.

Sherrill

FlyingMonkey
09-19-2007, 03:03 AM
No worries Sherrill.

We know you had no intention of that.

I don't even think that Mike intended to cause controversy.

For some, Mac and his B-29 can be as touchy as religion or politics...

firemanbill
09-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Sherrill please don't let that stop you from posting! In any groupl of people you'll have differnt viewpoints and hear a lot of varied responses...

That is what makes it interesting... if we all agreed all the time life would be very dull...:D

Grasshopper
09-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey, I loved the inverted pass. Afterall, my picture of it won me a gallon of glo fuel.:D

aviatordave
09-19-2007, 04:27 AM
No swearing in this forum Tom.....:)

So what did you do with the gallon of bug killer?

Grasshopper
09-19-2007, 04:34 AM
No swearing in this forum Tom.....:)

So what did you do with the gallon of bug killer?

Well.......I left it at Hodges Hobbies since they can't ship it. Ok, Ok, I hate that plane!!!!!!!

Voyager2lcats
09-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Hey, I loved the inverted pass. Afterall, my picture of it won me a gallon of glo fuel.:D

Tom, that is the first time I have seen that picture. That is absolutely AWESOME. Holy mackerel.

Grasshopper
09-19-2007, 04:44 AM
Tom, that is the first time I have seen that picture. That is absolutely AWESOME. Holy mackerel.

Thanks a lot cats. Here's a link to a thread where I posted my pictures from the Heatwave in the Heartland fly in at Tulsa.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22597

aviatordave
09-19-2007, 04:54 AM
So..Tom...

Can we expect to see some Video the next time? hint hint...

Grasshopper
09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
So..Tom...

Can we expect to see some Video the next time? hint hint...

Software ordered, as soon as I can get to Wally World, I'll pick up the firewire card and cable.

aviatordave
09-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Sadly..I was at Wallyworld tonight. I noticed they had a USB adapter that accepts a multitude of different cables to USB. It was 14 bucks...might want to look at that also.

Grasshopper
09-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Sadly..I was at Wallyworld tonight. I noticed they had a USB adapter that accepts a multitude of different cables to USB. It was 14 bucks...might want to look at that also.

The firewire card comes with the cable I need.

yank51
09-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Sherrill ::: I used a Weed eater engine on one years ago an she shook herself to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!your bub, stevecooper

Steve,
I THINK you are supposed to take off the weed wacking strings and put a prop on it...lol :D:o:D

stevecooper
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
yank51If I do that what will I use to edge the driveway?your bub, stevecooper

pablo27
09-26-2007, 02:30 AM
I would love to see that fly here in the UK, absolutely awesome and a great display.

I recently managed to see these two perform at a local show, a Cessna Citation & Hawk RAF 'Red Arrow', both were lovely to watch.

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Ihad the honor of watching Mac fly his B-29 this past weekend.

He's hovering the thing now.

He finished the show with a loop, at the top of which, he extended the landing gear, and landed at the bottom of the loop.

Simply amazing!

pablo27
10-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Ihad the honor of watching Mac fly his B-29 this past weekend.

He's hovering the thing now.

He finished the show with a loop, at the top of which, he extended the landing gear, and landed at the bottom of the loop.

Simply amazing!

That must have been awesome to watch, any chance of a video?

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I didn't take any.

The only problem with taking video, is you really don't see it while you're doing the video.

And it is something that has to be seen live.

pablo27
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Yes you are right I understand that completly and that is definitely something that I would love to see for my own eyes.

FlyingMonkey
10-02-2007, 07:01 PM
There should be plenty of video online.

Search words...

Mac, Hodge's, SEFF, and of course B29, B-29, B 29

pablo27
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
There should be plenty of video online.

Search words...

Mac, Hodge's, SEFF, and of course B29, B-29, B 29

.........thanks, will do.

yank51
10-05-2007, 05:45 PM
And I can 2nd Monkey's comments about the B-29 display Mac put on. Not only did we get to see the beautiful bird fly once, we were treated to a second flight later in the day. This was the one where he did the loop and extended the gear for a landing. I happened to be standing near his ground crew (come-on you guys, you know who you are...lol) and they were gasping as Mac did his gear exrension and immediate landing... Was awesume to say the least. But, understand, Mac's been flying for years, and I understand he was quite a pattern flyer at one time...:)

Hand-Eye-Guy
10-08-2007, 08:27 PM
He flies that big bird better than I can fly my Wing Dragon........lol