PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

Dr Gyro
11-16-2005, 12:42 AM
I am brand new to electrics and I need advice.
I have a Triton electrifly charger / discharger.
I also have a Thunder Power Li-Po battery, 2100mah7, 4Volt pack.

I was told by the hobby shop owner that my Triton would charge the Li-Po but I have not got a clue as to what settings or time I am supposed to select.
Can anyone identify with this and help me?
Thanks ahead!

GeraldRosebery
11-16-2005, 01:03 AM
I am brand new to electrics and I need advice.
I have a Triton electrifly charger / discharger.
I also have a Thunder Power Li-Po battery, 2100mah7, 4Volt pack.

I was told by the hobby shop owner that my Triton would charge the Li-Po but I have not got a clue as to what settings or time I am supposed to select.
Can anyone identify with this and help me?
Thanks ahead!

First, read the instruction manual. Connect the Triton to 12V and wait a second or two. Push the select BATT TYPE button until it says Li ION. Note that (probably) the display also says 0.5 Amps on the left and 7.4 V on the right. Hold down the turney thing button until the 0.5 starts to flash. Without pushing it, turn the same button until it reads 2.1 amps. If the voltage display is other than 7.4 V, push it down again until the voltage number flashes and then turn the button to change it to it 7.4V . If it reads 7.4V leave it alone. The display should end up reading 2.1 amps 7.4 V. Connect your battery using an appropriate connector making sure red is to red and black to black. Push and hold down the turney button (without turning it) until the display says "checking battery" and then starts the charge process. It will end automatically, tootle at you and say "end" when it is charged. Make sure you charge the battery in a firesafe box.

Matt Kirsch
11-16-2005, 01:17 AM
The most important thing is to set the cell count, or voltage, depending on the charger (the Triton uses voltage) correctly. Triple-triple check this setting because if you set it too high, you will cause a fire.

As a general rule, charge your LiPoly batteries at what is called a "1C" or "one times the battery pack's capacity in mAh" rate. 2100mAh = 2100mA charge rate, or a 2.1 Amp charge rate (remember the metric system from elementary school).

Dr Gyro
11-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Gerald and Matt, Thank You both! I will try this out tomorrow.

I have not used the Triton yet but have read the lengthy instructions.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Ace999
11-17-2005, 03:34 AM
Dr Gyro;Just thought I would add that when the dial is turned to select the charging Amperage you will notice that there are 2 voltages that are close to each other.For example 7.2V and 7.4V(2 cells in series) Lithium Ion cells are 3.6V per cell while Lithium Polymer are 3.7V each.Hence 2 cells Lithium Ion=7.2V while 2 cells Lithium Polymer=7.4V.Make sure that you select the 7.4Volt one for your battery (2S1P 2100mAh Li-Po)Also you should get the optional temperature sensor. It is an extra safety feature that is not very expensive.Hope this helps,Ace999

timocharis
11-17-2005, 04:30 AM
dg:

By now you've probably noticed you can program in 10 battery types as well. Switching among them is fairly simple.

I would like to repeat the advice that the temperature sensor is cheap and very good insurance.

Dave

Dr Gyro
11-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Ace and dave...Thank You for your comments. I did purchase the temp probe for the Triton and sometime today I will try out what I have been told on this site.