PDA

View Full Version : Polk's Fokker Dr1

CarreraGTSCS
09-22-2007, 04:32 AM
I've been flying my Polk's Fokker Dr1 some lately. I 've had it for a while but never put it together. I almost sold it too. Glad I didn't as it's a pretty nice flying plane. Not a slow flyer or beginner plane at all but it flies nice and looks cool in the air.

Here's a link to the flying video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746258

Mike

WWI Ace
09-23-2007, 03:43 AM
I have one of those too!! Great plane, rudder is too big though. Isn't it Martin!!! Steve.

WWI Ace
09-23-2007, 03:45 AM
I put wheel collars on mine 'cause the wheels kept comin' off!!! Steve.

CarreraGTSCS
09-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Flew the red devil again today. Felt out of sorts from the start. Did two circuits and when bringing it around to land the ailerons locked and it went straight in from about 10 or 12 feet. Amazingly, the only damage done was a few spider cracks in the cowl and the outer wing strut attachments cracked. Easy fix all around and I intended too make a better looking cowl anyway. Might as well make a smaller rudder too.

It turns out that the right aileron servo stripped gears and was locked into the down/left turn position. My esc may be on the fritz too. I've never had a GWS Pico servo go bad before. Odd.

Mike

WWI Ace
09-23-2007, 09:36 PM
They're tough planes aren't they Carrera!!! I nosed mine in from about 6 feet. Broke the cowl a little and pulled the motor mount loose. Had it fixed in about an hour. Let me know what you come up with for a better cowl. I'm not gonna change the rudder. I'll just live with it. I'm gonna build a new tripe probably this winter anyway. Steve.

CarreraGTSCS
09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
I cut down the stock cowl today so it's not quite so long. Looks better already. When I get around to it I'll turn a new cowl in blue foam on the drill press and vacuform it when I get more plastic.

I had to go to ACE Hardware today and I bought a can of Krylon Fusion primer spray. I can't take that garish red covering. I test shot it on the underside of the tail to test adhesion. We'll see how it works.

My winter builds will probably be a SPAD VII or XIII and an Avro Lancaster.

You can call me Mike.

CarreraGTSCS
09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I can't believe that I broke the Dr1! It went in from about 10 or 12 feet. I had no response to elevator. I'm wondering if there's interference in a particular part of my field as I've had 3 or 4 planes go down in the exact same spot. It only happens when the plane is low. Odd. Anyway, I've started to strip the fuselage in hopes of removing some wood aft of the cockpit and some in front. There's an awful lot of plywood in this model. I'm not going to recover the wings. I will have to open the bottom wing as I just noticed a cracked rib.

Here's a couple of photos of the shortened cowl. Have to do a little more trimming to make the cut lin even. I cut it with heavy duty scissors.

Mike

CarreraGTSCS
11-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Flew the red devil again on Sunday evening in nearly no wind. Only had enough power for a few circuits but it was flying very nicely. I made sure to keep my control inputs small and gentle. I'm using a GWS tx and it does not have dual rates. Finally had a good landing but it still tweaked one of the LG wires.

I don't remember if I mentioned here that I went with one servo for the ailerons and used the Sullivan micro cables/sleeves for actuation. Works great.

Mike

CarreraGTSCS
12-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I just switched to a Multiplex Royal EVO 9 tx so I'll be able to dial in some D/R to tame it a bit.

Here's a link to the last video posted at RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767405&highlight=fokker

I'm getting the beastie tamed a little at a time. I just watched the video again and I may be exagerating the beastiness of the Dr1. I noted that from about 2:50 to 3:05 it was gliding deadstick and again the entire turn onto base before landing. I only added power to control the landing descent. So, it waddles a bit power off but seems to be relatively stable power on and throttled back. Do you think that *** out of ***** stars is a fair score for it?

Thoughts?

Mike

WWI Ace
12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Mine isn't exactly a relaxing plane to fly either but it sure is fun!! The video looked good!! You'll get used to landing it. Just do it the same way as in the video everytime and you'll be fine. The trick is to come in a little hot and land on the mains. Don't try to do a three pointer. When the main gear touches down, cut the power and start pulling elevator. Looks like you have a better handle on that plane than you think!! Steve

CarreraGTSCS
12-03-2007, 01:03 AM
It is a very satisfying plane to fly but not relaxing. I've had a wacky thought: Build an axel wing to hold the 3s pack. That'll lower the roll center, maintain the CG and stabilize it in roll. It would be sort of like adding a little dihedral in effect.

Mike

WWI Ace
12-03-2007, 03:11 AM
Interesting thought!!!

CarreraGTSCS
12-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Just found these in the wrong file. Not too bad looking.

Mike

WWI Ace
12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Two very cool planes Carrera!!!! Steve

watt_the?!
12-08-2007, 08:52 PM
my polk.

i love this plane

CarreraGTSCS
12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks Steve. It's a cool plane.

Tim-- Full recover or paint alone? Looks good. Much better than the garish shiny red.

Mike

AeroDude
01-24-2008, 01:47 AM
I bashed this ARF, removed the covering and re-covered in Koverall and painted, added pull-pull controls, guns, and other scale details, fly's very scale, it's powered by a Himodel BM2908, CC Phoenix-35, 3S1P-3000 LiPo

AD

WWI Ace
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice Aerodude!!! I have a blast flying mine!!! Steve

watt_the?!
01-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks Steve. It's a cool plane.

Tim-- Full recover or paint alone? Looks good. Much better than the garish shiny red.

Mike

full light-ning and recover. rebuilt the ailerons/elevator with false LE,s hinges, removed as much wood from the CoG backwards as possible, recovered, then painted.

AdamMassey25
01-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Sweet plane I have always wanted one never got around to buying one.

stevecooper
01-26-2008, 03:53 AM
good work my bub, steve