PDA

View Full Version : Nieuport II

CarreraGTSCS
09-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Just thought that I'd post some pictures of an old build I did about 15 or 20 years ago. Not the prettiest but if you squint and punch yourself in the eye it's not bad looking. I scaled up a Guillows plan to 36" wingspan. Flew it a couple of times about two years ago back when I was still messing about with a Wattage Sopwith Camel. Enjoy.

Mike

proffcharlie
09-22-2007, 03:49 PM
If you don't mind I have a few questions for you. What power system did you use on this plane? Did you build it according to the scaled up plans or did you change things like dihedral, incidence, etc.? Would you remember the weight of the plane? I have a simular stick and tissue kit I would like to scale up for electric power. It would be a Club Mascot plane for the Lafayette Escadrille in Lafayette, LA.

Charlie

CarreraGTSCS
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Prof-- Glad to help. I posted some info on a a long time ago on another site. I'll see if I can find that. I don't recall the weight but it was no more than 16 oz or so. I didn't do a very good job of alignment but I did not change anything from the original free-flight plans. The motor that I used was from BP Hobbies but was no more than a GWS 350 geared set up. I used a 9x4.7 GWS slow flyer prop and probably nimh cells. I don't remember if I had lipo's back then. Flew ok on 3 ch, no ailerons.

Check back later for a link to the flight pics and info.

Mike

CarreraGTSCS
09-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3310892&postcount=146

BmacSWA
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey there,

I understand you built this from scaling up a 36" plan? Did you beef up anything or just increase the measurements? As hard as it is to find wood kits of any size anymore, I've been looking for a Sopwith Camel Kit approximately the size of the pre built Hangar 9 Camel. If I can get plans for a smaller Camel and scale it up without problems, that might be my only option.

Brian

CarreraGTSCS
10-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Try searching here and on the other well known RC sites for flying conversions of the Guillows Camel. I know that it's been done. Guillows sells plans alone os they might be worth a chance. A trip to STAPLES for enlarging and you're ready to go.

I have a photo somewhere of the NII without covering. I'll try to find it. I didn't really strengthen it much, as a matter of fact, I drilled lots of holes to lighten it.

Mike

BmacSWA
10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks Mike,

I actually have an Email into Charlie at Manzano Laser Works asking about a larger version. I don't expect a special edition but like you he may have some good ideas. I'll check out the plans you suggested and I'm still diligently looking.

Brian

proffcharlie
10-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Brian,

For what it's worth I have the stick/tissue kit with plans at home. If my feable old mind is working right it is a Gillows kit and the wing span is in the 24 or 27 inch range. Email me at proffcharlie12@yahoo.com and I'll arrange to copy the plans and mail the copy to you. These plans include the wing ribs, guide wires, and scale and suggested dihedral angles along with the fuse frame patterns. With these you could scale them to the size you want. From there you would have to use the TLAR (That Looks About Right)
method for the size and thickness of the wood to use.