PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to chg out 27 for 72?

Bil2
11-16-2005, 09:02 PM
What I mean is, I bought an old, used plane (Wing Dragon) to use as trainer, but it can't seem to get very far without poopin' out. It's 27 mhz. I've got a Futaba tx & rx, 72 mhz, and wonder can I just swap out the 72 mhz rx for the 27 mhz and use the Futaba tx? Assuming the plugs fit, won't the servos and ESC work ok with 72 mhz? Thanks, Bil

rcers
11-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Nope. You can swap the receiver to a 72MHz use the RX and the 72MHz transmitter though. Just cant use a 27MHz rx with your 72MHz TX.

Mike

Bil2
11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I must not have been clear. I've got a 72 mhz rx & tx, both a futaba set, and I want to take out the 27 mhz rx 7 not use the 27 mhz tx that came with the plane. So both the tx 7 rx will be 72 mhz - just wanta make sure the servos & esc, etc will work OK. Thanks, Bil

rcers
11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Some do, others don't... Do the servos/esc have three or 4 wires?

aeropal
11-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Bil2
11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
That's exactly what's happening!! I fling this plane up and it runs for a couple of secs & soon's I put in some 'vator or rudder, the motor quits. Just figured it was poor batt connection. Maybe its the 50 amp ESC. I better buy a better ESC. Any ideas for a cheapo esc that works well/ I've heard bad things about GWS, too. Thanks, Bil

rcers
11-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Any ideas for a cheapo esc that works well/ I've heard bad things about GWS

GWS are ok for cheapies. The are not super linear on throttle but they are cheap. Jeti is my first choice.

M

ForestCam
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Yes it'll work. Changed mine out for a GWS pico reciever and even though I didn't have to I swapped out the servos too to try and shave a bit off the 22 oz. AUW.

Even before the swap I was able to get upwards of a 20 minute flight off mine with the stock battery (replacemnts had more power but didn't seem to last as long).

Get a decent charger, I never trusted the supplied wall charger and it ended up getting tossed, minus the batt. plug that is.

BTW if you need extra batteries there's a guy on ebay selling pairs 1100MAh NImh packs for $20 shipped.

Mine will be going brushless next summer and being turned into a CVS camcorder platform.:D

Bil2
11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks, guys. I posted a 'wanted' ad on RCG for an ESC, we'll see what turns up. BTW, RCERS, the servos have 3 wires. Bil

ForestCam
11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I doubt it's your ESC. Mine's been going strong for two flying seasons and it' even been completely under water once. OOPS!:o

How many times have you cycled the battery? NiMh cells need to be "conditioned" by a few charge/discharge cycles before they'll reach their full capacity and it's not unusual to have an extreemely short flight the first few times out.

If you have a DVM hook it up in series between the battery and the ESC and see what the voltage drop is when running the servos and motor.

Bil2
11-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Forest, is yours an art-tech 50 amp? The batt packs (3) have all been well-used. The problem is not shortness of time, it is the motor shutting off completely when I use the elevator or rudder. I thought it was the motor connection, but the motor will run happily until the battery is low, on the ground. But when I launch it and thumb in the rudder, adios muchacho! I'm gonna spend a few bux and try a different ESC, if I can find one I like. Thanks, Bil

qban_flyer
11-17-2005, 03:36 AM
I've got a Futaba tx & rx, 72 mhz, and wonder can I just swap out the 72 mhz rx for the 27 mhz and use the Futaba tx? Assuming the plugs fit, won't the servos and ESC work ok with 72 mhz? Thanks, Bil

The servos and ESC don't care what band the RX and TX are on. Putting your Futaba RX in the model will allow you to fly it with the Futaba TX as long as both are on the same channel.

I have flown many stock as well as modified Wing Dragons and have not experienced the problems you are having with yours.

Bil2
11-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Qban, did you have any problem with the stock 50 amp ESC in the wing dragon, like aeropal says in his post? Thanks, Bil

qban_flyer
11-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Qban, did you have any problem with the stock 50 amp ESC in the wing dragon, like aeropal says in his post? Thanks, Bil

Haven't had any problems with the ESCs but the TX on one of the four we got was DOA! :p
The LHS exchanged the whole thing. Been doing business with them for over 10 years now.

BTW: They also showed me two others that were being sent back. Both came with DOA TXs too! :confused: