PDA

View Full Version : The Murph Biplane

Saucerguy2
09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm in the initial design stage of a new biplane officially dubbed the "Murph Bipe", it's going to be 34" wingspan, 24" length, primary construction will be wire cut foam.

I wanted something WWI looking, but not modeled after any specific individual plane. This is being done very old school as you can see, I like going this route because drawing by hand, there is nothing like that tactile feeling you get. One of the important elements involved with the design is to insure it can be cut out easily, I have to make jigs afterwards to get it to work with the wire cutter. I just wanted to show you guys the progress and build log here.

The airfoil, and most of this is not set in stone, so expect purmutations while I progress with this one.

smokejohnson
09-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Subscribing :tc:

gfdengine204
09-25-2007, 02:15 AM
I think I'll keep an eye on this as well. SG, you are my new hero! :)

CHELLIE
09-25-2007, 03:59 AM
I think I'll keep an eye on this as well. SG, you are my new hero! :)

SG is my Hero too :D :D :D ;-) keep up the great work Brian

Biplane Murphy
09-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Can't wait to see it SG.:)

oimmuk
09-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Can't wait to see it SG.:)

I wonder if this has something to do with it being called "The Murph Biplane"???????

Well, no matter I am glad to see someone post the design process and what is involved I dont like kits all that much and prefer to scratchbuild and if possible to design my own. Heck I would like to see a area for just such a thing, yes we have the area for Aerodynamics but not reall for scratchbuilt or designing...Just my museings...lol. Take them with two asprins and call me in the morning:D.

Saucerguy2
09-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I came up with the idea to name this one the Murph and sent him a PM for his approval. I'll post photo's of the final diagrams prior to cutting it up to use as guides to create the jigs. Oimonk, do you have a wire cutter yet? You'll find how I'm doing this not very helpful if you aren't using one on it. URL to get you started in this area:

Stay tuned for photo updates tonight, thanks for all of the kind words guys.

edit: Latest is at hand here, now it's time to bust out some jigs to turn this into an actual plane....

oimmuk
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Nope SG I don't have one ...YET...But I just don't have the room to set one up, the garage looks like a store room for some junk store as it is I gotta move work outside to do anything. BUT I am familiar with them and I am just enjoying the flow so far...:Q

Saucerguy2
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Let me know if you need help setting one up when you are ready, the main bow I use is the most complex, it doesn't need to be that way at all, I'll get a shot of one of the smaller ones I use so you can see just how simple they are to construct.

As you can see with the final shape of the design, I have the formers figured out, I drew in an additional 1" in length to them since I raise the stock 1" off of the table to allow the bow to have clearance. You'll see the front end of the fuse has an addtional 1" drawn into it, that is what that is for, the length remains 24" regardless. Also, I use the wing cores themselves to fit like a glove for the saddle area, just as I did with the p40. The incidence is set to nuetral on the lower one knowing I'm going to set that element with the upper which allows me to keep the joining cut flat.

Since this does resemble a stick built set of plans, I may just grab more carbon paper and trace the patterns onto the laminate stock so I can keep the original unmarred, this helps a bit with the preliminary cut list, it also allows me to continue with the design and build a balsa version should I opt to go that route as well. I'll have updates on this late tonight.

Saucerguy2
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I picked up a piece of carbon paper today, not sure what happened to the old one, I'll find it when I don't need it, hehe. This one is bigger so will be easier to work with.

The main jigs are rough cut out, I have alot of work to do to get them fine tuned enough for use. Even though this is a simple plane design, you can see, it's a bit more complex then that converting it to 3d foam world, there are several more I can put in place, but for now, this is enough to produce the design consistantly enough without too much extra labor. The stock plans remain in tact, except for the h-stab area since that needed to get cut out, split and traced dual for symmetry sakes.

Next I drag out the foam and start cutting it out "fun", then figuring out what power system I go with "more fun", I have options in this area.

Saucerguy2
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I ended up with 17 new jigs, I'll make even more by the time I opt to get it going along larger volume. The bow is hooked up and ready to cut, I'm going to put down the heavy power tools and do this entire plane hot wire cut, wish me luck. So far I've only had to bring out the dremel, the rest is done with my own two hands.

I want this one to be flyable by a noob, 3 channel for tail feather control, then able to be flyable with ailerons, and from there both with the future mixing them together. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd plane folks............ Input on this matter would be invaluable. I'm only setting this up with upper ailerons ATM for ease of assembly, dual will make it that much more responsive, perhaps making it the 4th..........

Saucerguy2
09-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I took extra photo's of the build, I'll include many of them in the "manual" I create on this one, I'm not thrilled with the cowl, it was intended to taper for helping with thrust, but looks like it belongs in the WW2 arena then the WW1 setting, I even show it as a monowing, it could fly in that format as well..

I'm showing you it loosly painters taped together with almost no sanding done so far at all, in one photo I propped up the upper wing with some foam scrap, it's not going to be that far apart from the lower once the struts are in place. I still have to fine tune the jigs, otherwise there remains alot of sanding if I don't mess with that area.

Overall though, it should stand out, yet remain with my original vision.

WWI Ace
09-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Kinda resembles a Neiuport 28. Steve.

Saucerguy2
09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I think it's that tapered aft end of the fuse and the tail fin that does it. I'm not married to the fuse itself, I wanted to see what it would look like assembled, the curves came out rather complex, so defeats the purpose of trying to keep it simple. I'll still likely use it for the prototype, but I'm going to make another set of jigs for a new one.

Airhead
09-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Lookin' good SG, You've got a fine project goin on there. I couldn't help but notice your helper on your workbench...:ws:

Saucerguy2
09-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks, his name is Apricot, he's my shop cat. Kind of a counterproductive helper at times when he decides to lay on the plans, tools, foam pieces, etc. though, but he's good company to have around regardless :).

I'm going to bash the front end of the fuse narrower, I'll post updates tonight.

Airhead
09-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Great.. Can't wait to see how its goin'.:ws:

Saucerguy2
09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I suppose it's time I spent some modeling on one of these, I'm not going to town, just showing, eps can be made to look fantastic without killing yourself on the finish. Lightweight spackle is the key to this end regardless of what foam you are using. The smaller front section fits better, so looks like I gotta build another jig to accomodate it, it will be used for the cowl now as well.

CHELLIE
09-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I suppose it's time I spent some modeling on one of these, I'm not going to town, just showing, eps can be made to look fantastic without killing yourself on the finish. Lightweight spackle is the key to this end regardless of what foam you are using. The smaller front section fits better, so looks like I gotta build another jig to accomodate it, it will be used for the cowl now as well.

Its going to be Beautiful :$ :$ :$

Saucerguy2
09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
This will likely come in at around the 23 oz range RTF due to the finish I'm going to put onto it, I'm going to start a DIY tips and techniques thread on how to finish foamies and will link it here for the readers once I'm done. Nobody likes sanding these, or stick builds for that matter, and I think alot of people spend needless time on trying to get the finish correct, yet lack the proper techniques. I am going to utalize the engineering involved with the day's of old to stiffen up the wings, I did imbed some skewers within the wings and throughout the fuse, Gorrilla glued in place for strength regardless.

Sanding DIY 101:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280942#post280942

canadagoose
09-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Nice project SaucerGuy, looks like you have a good smooth finish on the foam.
The fuselage definitely has a WW1 look to it. Are you going to be glassing it? Hot wire cutting is something i still need to learn to do as well as getting the stuff to do it. Can't wait to watch further progress on it.

Saucerguy2
09-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks canadagoose, I'm going to hit it with the Minwax then paint it. Glassing is going to put this one at 30 oz, which will make it too heavy for my tastes with the power system I'm using on it. I've built in an internal structural support system as I assembled it, I'll show those photo's in the build manual, not trying to bore you guys with all of the nitty gritty details, it's applicable to the P40 and dragon kits as well.

Along wire cutting, there are similarties with the jigs on those and the stick build ones, the wire cutter itself is very simple to assemble, the bulk of the ones shown on the web are very much overcomplicating how to make one, you only need 3 things, a strip of stainless steel wire, a length of plywood or hardwood stock and a length of fiberglass rod you can yank out of a kite, or anything of the equivelant. If you do opt to go that route, I'll be more then happy to help out wherever, it only takes 10 minutes and not alot of money to make a simple hand bow.

WWI Ace
09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow Saucerguy!!! That is a VERY impressive plane!!! I like it and I'm usually VERY critical about what I like and what I don't!!! Steve.

Water Boy
10-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Just stumbled onto this one.....whhoooaaaww who put that there.http://www.usapatriotsamerica.com/forum/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif
Looking good!

Saucerguy2
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm down to my last can's of Krylon, I had a choice of using up a partial can of red, a full can of orange and 2 cans of light and medium grey, I opted for the fall color scheme and went with the red and orange. I ran out of red mid process so the fuse doesn't have a perfect finish, the orange is almost spent so got close, but on both counts, I can make it look like glass if I had enough paint and time to make it that way so am going to settle with what I have and move on without dragging this build further forward time frame wise.

I carved out a cavety in the nose end to accomodate the lipo, esc and rx and cut out an access hole so all that will be exposed are the wires and servo's, the cowl was bashed by hand, not shown in the photo, it will be shown along with the tail feather's being mounted tomorrow. This is turning out to be a nice plane and Murph can be proud to have it named after him at this point.

Excuse the mess with the photo, my helper is asleep on the job at the moment, hehe.

Biplane Murphy
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm down to my last can's of Krylon, I had a choice of using up a partial can of red, a full can of orange and 2 cans of light and medium grey, I opted for the fall color scheme and went with the red and orange. I ran out of red mid process so the fuse doesn't have a perfect finish, the orange is almost spent so got close, but on both counts, I can make it look like glass if I had enough paint and time to make it that way so am going to settle with what I have and move on without dragging this build further forward time frame wise.

I carved out a cavety in the nose end to accomodate the lipo, esc and rx and cut out an access hole so all that will be exposed are the wires and servo's, the cowl was bashed by hand, not shown in the photo, it will be shown along with the tail feather's being mounted tomorrow. This is turning out to be a nice plane and Murph can be proud to have it named after him at this point.

Excuse the mess with the photo, my helper is asleep on the job at the moment, hehe.

Indeed I am proud to have this one named after me!!!

It looks really good SG!!:)

oimmuk
10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
If this build is named after Ol' BM then you should have used "RustOleum", just to keep it from becoming rusty and corrosive like him...Just kidding there BM...lol.

Now that is outta the way this is one great build ya got going there SG, I have one question though. When you were makeing your templates why didnt you also make em so you could carve out the inside and make a shell with like a 1/2 inch wall thickness. This is the way I remember seeing one build LLLOOONNNGGG ago in a mag I think it was either RCM or MAN.

Saucerguy2
10-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally, I was planning upon keeping it solid core, the reason you go that route is for durability, my p40's being that way, I can't kill them, they survive crash after crash and I'm intentionally abusing them and using less then steller gear on them, I'll be rewinding motor's soon, the vibration on the one I'm using is incredable, you can only straighten out a shaft so many times. Sure, i'll crack a fuse or even a wing from time to time, but they are easily glued back together, now stronger then before and I only used hot glue on the first two. I then look to other foamies in the market, and yeah, even have the GWS mustang flying right along side, we'll, did, it's now a pile of foam pieces contained in a bag of tape, but was fun flying it even with the motor mount moving around all over the place, I did some major damage to that plane when I first got it since I wasn't ready for it, so having ressurected it, it was never up to par, per the mfg. specs. The point being, I'm not wanting something that looks nice, yet turns into packing material with one crash, I want these to last and last, so keeping it solid core by nature and putting the gear on the outside, you are maximizing durability since foam is based upon volume. I changed my mind on this one and opted to carve out a ton of area beyind the nose to accomodate the lipo, esc, and rx in one compartment to show you die hards that opt to keep the gear self contained, I did end up adding some balsa to make up for that and there is a built in structure as I mentioned before within the foam using skewers and dowels, I'll show those photo's after this is complete. Now, if I were planning upon keeping the gear self contained, it would be easy enough to sand/cut that area out during the assembly process, so this like the other two lines, there is more then one way of building it.

This one isn't going to get put through the crash testing abuse, I'll build a second for that purpose, it will still recover from crashes regardless, especially since the rest of the fuse is still solid core and reinforced internally, I will of course be pushing this one in the air regardless. Also, I'm going to strip down the gear from the brown p40, put some harbor freight yellow bee gear I have laying around on it and get it into the hands of a complete noob for more abuse, we'll see just how much it can take before it's rendered unflyable, or perhaps, if it does manage to survive, we may have the fabled war bird a noob can handle and still be upgradable after the fact, I'll have a Murph bipe set up that way soon enough as well, for when they are ready for aileron control, so no need to buy another plane, I think it's good to include the new pilot when ever I can for their sakes to give them options, since their choices are rather limited, and to be frank, kind of boring.

Additional reasons, as a manufacturer trying to compete in this market, I have to stand out of the crowd with something different, the merits on these, once people catch on, are going to show justification to go with my lines rather then something else, but for different reasons and not to compete directly, otherwise, I'd just duplicate what and how they are doing theirs and have yet another copycat line, which in this market, means being buried in obscurity. The p40 for example, the GWS version is much more detailed, requires less work to assemble and finish and includes their proprietary mainstream hardware, it's a different plane all together and to compare it with mine is like comparing apples to oranges. Theirs is designed for a specific type of assembly with little room for creative liberty by the builder, mine can be assembled different ways based upon skill level and what you plan upon using it for, ie. combat compared to showcase, you will take a different approach and spend alot more time on it to make it a show model, but if you are just wanting something that can handle combat or your building skills are lacking, a quick bash together in one evening is all it takes, cover it in packing tape and go fly. Yet, if you want something prefabbed with all of the details done for you and your building skills are lacking, yet your flying skills are very good, get the GWS version, it won't handle as much abuse, but you aren't buying it for that purpose and I doubt anybody is going to be using theirs in a combat situation.

Also, I'm trying to get the builders actually building, and have always stressed the importance of looking into scratch building. The cowl for example, after SmokeJohnson put his together, he's now going to use the skills he just picked up from that process towards the cowls on his other planes when he breaks them, this in turn may eventually have him bashing out new planes entirely from scratch in the same manner, that and is no longer at the mercy of being forced to buy replacement proprietary parts for any of his planes. On mine, especially since I include the cores, you can make as many replacement parts as you want, even fabricate a duplicate plane after creating the jigs based upon the components supplied, but keep in mind, you gotta get a wire cutter and know how to use it, and the latter, I've always been up on helping anybody assemble theirs.

Finally, I want these lines to be versatile so that you can use the gear you already have on hand, even be able to reuse your old brushed and nimh set up's, the area you will be carving out internally if you opt to stuff it inside will vary and I don't want to force people to have to buy x components or it won't work.

Sorry for the long winded response, I just wanted to let you guys know where I'm coming from and my vision behind these.

oimmuk
10-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Well, said and I am in agreeance with your views. I was just wondering and I think beyond any doubt you answered it abmirably...:D

Saucerguy2
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I failed at setting up the initial spot for the tail feather servos, ran into skeweres in the process and wasn't happy with them not remaining flush with the fuse so moved the cavity and them forward so looks like I gotta fill in that section Ooops. They are now mounted and functional with overkill pushrods so that's never going to be a problem at this point. I started setting up the struts on the wings, I'm going to leave creative liberty to those doing this just as all biplanes are set by default kit wise, at least in this case, it's eps foam so you can sink them in to get the proper alignment with relative ease, needless to say, this newly formed kit is getting rather sophisticated.

Photo's show the current progress, I need to build the outer struts, hit all of them with the minwax and start along the rigging. I hope you guys now see, this is not some frog creation at this point rather then a Nueport or WWI copycat design.

Slowjohn
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey SG,
I have to say it's looking very good. Looking forward to a flight report with a sensible sized motor in it :Q. I know how you are when it comes to powering those new creations of yours. Put enough power on the nose and it'll fly Haha Hoho Hehe :D:D:D It'll fly for me:Q:Q. Seriously though it is looking really good.

Watch for an email from me later this afternoon. I'm looking for some info on a company from that neck of the woods (sort of) from back in the 70's named ;
Flight Dynamics Inc.
Portland, OR

I have a A-26C Invader kit (50" ws) from them that's missing the windscreens & nose cone. I could go with the "B" model solid nose & 8 -.50 cals. sticking out or maybe a civilian version but...

Later,
SJ

Saucerguy2
10-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Slowjohn, thanks for the thumbs up, this is not a race on motors any more, it's the e-combo that makes it go these days since we are dealing with e-flight.

I went with my smallest brushless at the 2406-21 model, 1650 rpm, they don't list the kv rating, but not a powerfull motor at all, I won't overkill this bird since I want it around longer, the next, no limits as to how much abuse I put it through.

Photo's attached, the rigging is actually functional, my hats off to the wwI builders, now and the original full scale builders of the days of old, it does wonders when done properly to the overall structure, expect more from me in this area.

Really close to the maiden now, if it would just stop raining .. :)

pd1
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
SG, You know that's one fine looking plane.

It really looks like you could have a lot of fun with it.

Paul

WWI Ace
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM
That looks great Saucerguy!!! I think it needs a Snoopy with a leather flying helmet in it!!! Steve.

Saucerguy2
10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I did have fun with it, also am making barrel swivels "found in the fishing tackle isle" a must have for the rigging, it really helped to ease threading it through and looks kind of cool in the process. I went the simple route with the latter, knowing people are intimidated with the process as well.

Snoopy pilot, good idea, since I cut away a pilot area and it has a windshield in place, might as well finish that area with an actual pilot. I may add landing gear to this as well considering the rain isn't going to let up for a while I'd rather not be touching down in wet grass directly. I still need to fill in the boo boo in the aft section of the fuse as well and need to make more jigs and the build manual, this one will require the latter since it became much more sophisticated then my previous and I kind of went with the build flow rather then take a photo of every single nitty gritty detail, there are plenty of photo's not shown yet for that element regardless.

WWI Ace
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
That plane with a foam Snoopy pilot with helmet, googles and scarf would be too cool!! The plane looks close enough to what he would fly. Anyway, this plane is what I would consider "Fun Scale" so why not have fun with it? Maybe even a Dick Dastardly or Muttly if you don't like the Snoopy idea. Then we could "Stop that pigeon!!! Now!!!""" Ha ha!! Steve

Saucerguy2
10-05-2007, 01:11 AM
It's not really fun scale in my book, I would have made the wings shorter and the chord longer, shortened the fuse and gave it larger tail feathers, then I'd change the shape of them for more dramatic of an approach. Will see what I can scrounge up for the pilot.

FlyingMonkey
10-05-2007, 01:12 AM
I think you should have a flying monkey at the controls

aviatordave
10-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Snoopy has a better reputation...plus he has experience flying his doghouse.

Saucerguy2
10-05-2007, 01:57 AM
The problem is, if I used a monkey as a pilot, I'd have to put in an ejection seat tied to a broken parachute. :)

FlyingMonkey
10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
not true....

just don't buckle him in, and go inverted...

aviatordave
10-05-2007, 02:51 AM
not true....

just don't buckle him in, and go inverted...

Or...just give him empty promises of flying and leave him on the tarmac.

FlyingMonkey
10-05-2007, 02:56 AM
not nearly as fun as watching him tumble out of the sky...

Grasshopper
10-05-2007, 02:58 AM
not nearly as fun as watching him tumble out of the sky...

And splat on the tarmac.

FlyingMonkey
10-05-2007, 03:00 AM
yeah! that's what I'm talking about!

Biplane Murphy
10-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Bipe looks Impressive SG.:)

Definately give her landing gear.

WWI Ace
10-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes SG!! We want wheels!!! Please???!!! Steve.

Slowjohn
10-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I Agree :D
2 Wheels up on landing ????

Not Good :blah::sad::o

SJ

Slowjohn
10-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Besides, Touch-n-Go's are extremely hard to do without Wheels ::o:red:

SJ

Saucerguy2
10-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Touch and go's in rough cut grass are kind of impossible to do with wheels, I'll throw some on eventually, but the landing gear will be removable so I'm not limiting where I can fly at. I may be heading down to the southern part of the state to maiden this one, so I have no idea what I'll be up against, flying field wise, I'll drag my gear down there to determin the best route to go since I'm looking at Thursday possibly as the day the rain is supposed to let up.

FlyingMonkey
10-06-2007, 02:27 AM
detachable.....

Slowjohn
10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
The angle of the approach and the momentum/speed could be the determining factor maybe.

::oYour going to do what now?
:<: Aren't you a little low?
:silly:The ground sure is going by fast.
:blah: What was that Noise??
:D We just completed a Touch-N-Go Folks!

SJ

Saucerguy2
10-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Well, unless I get a perfect flair upon landing, the wheels will dig into the grass, which is why I tend to avoid having them on it, that and I hate the added drag. I have the landing gear stripped off of an ARF, I'll see what I can do to get it to work with it. Stuff like this, you really want to plan ahead of time on during the build process, especially since I want them to be removable.

Geoffrito
10-06-2007, 04:41 AM
nice looking plane, SG...I like the british markings =]

pd1
10-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Sg, I have to agree with slowjohn, please put wheels on it.

I have had very good luck with 3 inch wide wheels on grass.
I forgot which brand they are, but they are light foam and they look like slicks.

Here's a shot of one of my planes with the wide wheels.

The wheels on the PT-19 are same diameter, but don't work as well.

Paul

FlyingMonkey
10-06-2007, 12:38 PM
removable landing gear...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8306777&postcount=1413

Slowjohn
10-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Howdy Pd1,
Really nice looking planes you have there. The PT-19 has always been a favorite of mine. A Cox PT-19 C/L Trainer is what I learned to fly on as a kid of 10 yrs. old. I've been wanting to get a RC kit of it for several yrs. now but would rather build it myself instead of buying an ARF version. I like the 1st plane too and it's simple color scheme.

SG, a removable landing gear would work like has been suggested but it is your plane although at first I thought maybe you was building it for BM. That's uh, Biplane Murphy :D

Standing By,
SJ

Saucerguy2
10-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I named it the Murph because BiplaneMurphy has shown me friendship and integrity above and beyond the call, "not saying none of you guys have not though", so I felt naming this after him was showing a little in the area of giving back in my own way. There is more to it then this, but I'm keeping tight lipped about it for now, it's all very good and you guys will see just how much of a class act he is soon enough if you don't already. :)

I agree, the 3" mark for landing gear works well in regular grass, on my 200% scale, Guillow's Javelin e-flight scratch build and conversion, I used wheels of that size made from soft crafts foam, it rolled around nicely in regular fields, now the field I fly in never gets cut to normal length, it's very rough cut, bumpy, and depending upon when it was mowed last, the grass ranges from 7" to 12" or more in height. There are three reasons I like using that as my main test bed. First, it's very rare someone is wandering around on it, second, the ground is soft, so is the grass so "when" I crash, it helps to minimize damage, 3rd, there are only a few local's that open their windows and climb out on their decks to watch me fly, and most of them don't speak any english so I honestly don't care if I make a mistake compared to another field I fly at from time to time where there is a local heli club that delights in watching people crash, two of them are even working for a LHS of which I despise, yet still buy odds and ends from.. The drawback though, it's notorious for radio interference so I guess that's why I'm the only one flying there, just glad I'm a builder, it comes in handy for the latter. The other field also has radio interferience as well, but that's from military aircraft flying over head, it also has alot of people running around the field all the time and is next to a school, and to boot, not nearly as much safe flying area as mine.

I got a little side tracked with the "simple stick" build, knowing it's going to be Thursday before I even have some form of a chance of maidening it, so haven't made any further progress on it outside of locating the landing gear set up from the ARF I mentioned. I may just hit the lower section with a little sheeting to give me something to mount it on and call it good. It will remain removable based upon where I fly it at regardless, I'll never be a fan of landing gear until I get into the retractable set up's due to the drag issues regardless.

WWI Ace
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
The plane is looking great SG!! And I know what you mean about Biplane Murphy being a great guy!! You just don't find people like him very often!!The guy DEFINITELY needs a plane named after him!! He deserves it!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys....:)

I can't wait to hear about how the bipe flies.... but as a Saucerguy creation I expect it will fly quite well.:)

CHELLIE
10-07-2007, 10:11 PM
The plane is looking great SG!! And I know what you mean about Biplane Murphy being a great guy!! You just don't find people like him very often!!The guy DEFINITELY needs a plane named after him!! He deserves it!!! Steve.

Yes I agree, BiPlane Murphy is a Sweet Heart :$ but dont let it go to your head Chris :D :p ;)

Biplane Murphy
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes I agree, BiPlane Murphy is a Sweet Heart :$ but dont let it go to your head Chris :D :p ;)

shhhhhhh..... don't tell anyone...that would ruin all my hard work trying to cultivate the image of a horrible and mean guy.......:Q

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
It already went to his head, he continued his nice guy streak by telling me he needs to order his own Murph plane even though I know damn well he has plenty to build already. :)

I maidened it and found out the COG needs to go forward, I'll have video of it once that's dialed in, these bipes are kind of tough in this area, especially with the light gear I'm using on this one. At least it proved to be a flyer so the design is sound regardless, I took it down after not wanting to play the down elevator gambit throughout it's flight.

Slowjohn
10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Great looking Biplane SG. What's the AUW please?

SJ

WWI Ace
10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you've designed a winner SG!!!! Steve.

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I weighed it in at 18.72 oz AUW, not too shabby in my opinion, I still haven't added the weight up front, so it may do up to 19.72 oz, still well within my target.

Slowjohn
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree.

SJ