PDA

View Full Version : Painting Foam

rahtware
08-07-2005, 08:27 PM
If you are thinking about painting foam, now is the time to be careful!

I picked up a can of craft paint at a local hardware store that said it was safe for "expanded foam"... I guess expanded foam doesn't include the styro that GWS uses. Thank Dog that I tested it on a scrap piece first, as it melted like ice in summer!:mad:

Rugar
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
The Tamiya TS paint works great on foam. The can says its for plastics, but it works on foam without melting it. Make sure you use the "TS" cans.

TaSaJaRa
08-08-2005, 07:09 AM
As far as spray paint goes Krylon H20 (http://krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=9&productid=1860&content=product_details) works good on foam.

rahtware
08-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the input. I had already picked up some Liquatex paint and airbrush medium to finish my DC3 with.

The pic is of the paint scheme I am trying to copy.

PS Check out airliners.net for some great ideas for a one-of-a-kind paint job for your next project.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-08-2005, 01:35 PM
I usually use the pactra racing finish spray paint. Its designed for lexan bodies, but if you spray light coats it works great on foam! Great coverage too, so it keeps it light.

glenclif
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Try Krylon Short Cuts. It works great on foam. Thats what I used on my Avtar.

flypaper 2
08-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Testors paint for plastics works great for foam too.

2dogrc
08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Cheap $.98 paint at walmart! Just spray and go!

EpoweredRc
08-08-2005, 11:19 PM
We use Kylon Fusion it works good just anything you use do very light coats I use about 3 coats to get a good cover on everything.

rahtware
08-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Great ideas all. I should have come here first.

Thanks.

turbo.gst
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I have tried some of the Anita's acrylic paints and have had problems with the foam warping after a few weeks. Has anyone else had problems with any other paints?

Thanks,
Turbo

FinnFlyer
08-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm in the process of painting my GWS Me-109 with Model Masters(from testors) authentic Luftwaffe colors to be in Finnish Air Force scheme. I am applying it with a cheap airbrush that runs on cans of propellant. I hasn't melted my foam.:D

rahtware
08-09-2005, 08:14 PM
How are you thinning the MM paint? Also, how is it turning out?

FinnFlyer
08-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I am thinning it with testors #8824 airbrush thinner in a blue can. 1 part thinner to 3 parts flat paint. For gloss, it is 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner. I have not tried gloss.
The paint job is coming out very nice. It's a little difficult covering a larger area, (the entire bottom of the fuse and wings in Lichtblau). But it should get a lot easier on the smaller spot colors. I'll post some picks when I get done, but don't hold your breath, I'm in no hurry.:cool:

WarbirdColors
10-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Go to warbirdcolors.com. It is a line of WATER-BASED, acrylic polyurethane primer and paint, designed specifically for the RC hobbyist. It's water-based, it doesn't eat foam, and THE COLORS ARE CORRECT. You can even use the primer in lieu of resin to fiberglass your airplane.

2dogrc
10-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Go to warbirdcolors.com. It is a line of WATER-BASED, acrylic polyurethane primer and paint, designed specifically for the RC hobbyist. It's water-based, it doesn't eat foam, and THE COLORS ARE CORRECT. You can even use the primer in lieu of resin to fiberglass your airplane.

That is a super sweet website!!! I was wondering if you would like to cross advertise! If you have a banner made up I would like to add it to my site! If you put my webiste on as a link in yours!

I am of to fly foamy combat tommorow and am going to tell the boys about that site! It will really help on the paint schemes for our birds!

2dogrc

hoppy
10-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Walmart craft dept flat and gloss water based acrylics.

Thin with windshield washer solution - 3 parts paint, 1-2 parts thinner

jonnyjetprop
10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Was I missing something, or were there no prices and color charts on the site?

John

WarbirdColors
10-10-2005, 08:39 AM
John,

To view the prices and colors:

First go to the main page (http://www.warbirdcolors.com)
From there, select the symbol for the country of choice..i.e. the "Stars & Bars" for the USA, the British Roundel for the RAF, etc. etc. You will be directed to a page for the selected country. From there, select the menu option(s) on the left...Color Palette (Purchase) (the one in the yellow text) From this option you can view the palette or purchase from the palette (2 different menu options). The prices are on the Purchase option.

FYI

1/4 pint - $5.50
1/2 pint - $10.95
Pint - $19.95
Quart - $32.95

Thanks for looking,
Chuck