PDA

View Full Version : Halls Bulldog Racer...

WishIWasAPunkRocker
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi All

Does anyone know of any plans, kits or even an ARF for the Halls Bulldog Racer? I've seen the one from Dumas and if all else fails will probably order it, however was hoping for something that was already designed for the extra strain of electric power and is also a little larger - wing span of around 40 inches or so. Cheers...

buzzltyr
09-27-2007, 03:55 AM
Here's a link to a guy who was designing one on RCG. It doesn't look like he ever finished it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621105&pp=50
My other suggestion would be to try the AMA plan service. They list a number of plans for the "Hall Racer" ranging in wingspan from 13" to 30".

Mark

WishIWasAPunkRocker
09-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks Buzz - those two links gave me more than enough information to get a start. From what I can tell, it is not an easy build, however the end result (IMHO) is well worth the effort, as can be seen by the second or third last post on that link to RC Groups you provided. It's probably beyond my current level of expertise, however there are guys in the club I belong to that would be more than up to it and hopefully I can pick there brains.

Wish me luck and thanks again...

buzzltyr
09-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Glad I was able to help out. When he was working on it, I was following along with Jim Horner's build. If you have an RCG login, I'd send him a PM and ask him how far he got, if he would be willing to share his plans, etc.

I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Bob Hall stuff. I live in Longmeadow, MA which is a suburb of Springfield, MA, the home of the Granville Brothers (the GeeBee racers). Bob Hall helped design some of the Granville's planes, before they had a falling out. Hall moved across the Connecticut River to Agawam, MA, which is where he designed and built the Bulldog, I think. So historically (and geographically) speaking, I am very close to both the GB's and the Hall Bulldog. Some of my older flying buddies grew up hanging out at the old Springfield Airport, where the Granvilles built and flew their planes, and knew the Granvilles. There are a couple of replicas of the R1 and R2 models in museums in the area (static models, not powered).

Good luck with your build. I've done a couple of scratch builds, and it is challenging to be sure. With the AMA plans, keep in mind that they were pretty much all designed for glow, and usually much heavier than is necessary for electrics. So you may find yourself lightening things up by using smaller dimension wood, using as little ply as possible, less sheeting if you can do so and still retain the shape and look you want, etc. Building light is a learning experience/challenge in itself.

Mark

casor
10-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Guys - here is my BD which was first in E scale at WRAM this yr. See FlyRC Dec for more complete article....a LC kit is available.
Rob Caso

WishIWasAPunkRocker
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Buzz, Sprinfield would be an amazing place to live, at least history-wise.

The reason I originally enquired after plans for the Bulldog is because I was scratching around for a nice second plane, having graduated from my Super Cub with ailerons. WWI, WWII, pattern, 3D and all manner of makes and models abound from the ARF manufacturers, however none really tickled my fancy. So I started to research real aircraft in the hope of finding something that really grabbed me and I could then attempt to scratch build - thatís when I stumbled onto the Golden Era of Aviation...

I simply cannot believe that model aircraft manufacturers have by and large bypassed (with the exception of perhaps the Gee Bee) these amazing machines. Almost any given ARF manufacturer has a WWI and WWII range - and rightly so, they are amazing aircraft steeped in history - but these Golden Era planes, in my mind at least, are just as deserving. And they look good. I mean, these planes have presence. In addition the stories behind the planes - men dying, family fortunes lost, despair, tragedy (poor old Hall is unfortunately a good example...) and triumph all in a short period of time that advanced aviation (and as a by product, our hobby) immensely. In fact, if you read up on it, almost all WWII craft and everything that stemmed from them owe a huge debt to this era. Magnificent Men in there Flying Machines indeed...

Casor - that model is simply inspirational. I hope you donít mind, but I printed it out and stuck it in my shed as a 'desired end result' - if I could achieve something half as good I'd be wrapped. Any chance of getting hold of a set of plans...?

WishIWasAPunkRocker
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Apologies Casor, I was that wrapped up in the photo I didn't read your reply properly. Please excuse a bit newbie question - what is an 'LC' plan and how would I get a hold of one?

Also, I notice your plane has the large rudder and fin, as the original one eventually had after several modifications from an original design of a much smaller one. Is it a difficult plane to fly, like the original was reported to be? I have even read around the traps that it experienced 'aileron reversal' during one of it's test flights, where the ailerons pivoted the correct way from control input, but due to the design of the wing at that stage the effect was reversed, causing it to turn the wrong way!! Scary stuff...

Once again - stunning looking plane...

buzzltyr
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Punk, there are a number of Golden age kits around, depending on what you want to look for. www.parkscalemodels.com has a nice little Monocoupe 90A kit that is highly thought of (I have one, but haven't built it yet). www.aerodromerc.com has a Mister Mulligan and a Wedell Williams Racer that both fit the bill. I've built (and crashed) the Mulligan. They also have a lot of WWI kits.

Mark

casor
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Rocker -
Quite surprisingly, the model has no bad flying habits. Don't get me wrong, it is a short coupled high speed racer with a little wing so it is a little touchy. But if you throttle back, it just floats around. We have had some issues landing, it seems to trip up in longer grass. I was completely surprised by how well it flies - thought it would be a "once and done'r".

I was fanatical about keeping weight off it (18oz, 15 oa WL)when I designed and built it and I do have about 3 deg washout in the wings. Plus it has over 100 watts per lb. Thayer of FlyRC and the 3 "almost pro" guys that I had fly it said good things about it. I am familiar with the reversing aileron problem and differential aileron throw would help elim that but the model d/n have it and I d/n bother with it.

"LC" is "laser cut", yes, plans are available.
Rob

casor
10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Rocker -
Missed your orig note. You and I feel the same way about the 30's aircraft - I almost think you are quoting the FLYRC article that I wrote for the BDog with your comments!!! We are on same page - the Dec issue should be out very soon and has all the details in it. The history here was a big reason I built the model - even the plastic kit mfgrs overlook the 30's stuff. It's really a shame.

I really do not like to plug my little co in a public forum, however since you asked, I run Turnkeyrc.com and the kit is $100 inclu plans , inst, canopy, wheel pants and all the ply and balsa parts. I will be offering a building CD with all the color bldg photos and finishing tips etc for another $10. The fuselage is built on a jig which is included so there are no screw ups.

Rob

cayuse
10-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Hey Rob,

I've wanted to do the Bulldog for quite a while. Glad to see someone's kitted it at that scale. I checked your website but it's not there. Is it available, yet?

Gary

casor
10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Gary - I suck at the website. But your timing is impecable and I am meeting with my buddy Wed who periodically helps me with it so if everything goes well it should be up on the site by this time tomorrow night.....If it is not, I will post a price list. The short answer here is that a kit is available now and I have parts, plans and accessories ready to go
Rob

patsbulldog
12-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Hello,
I came across this forum while looking for background on the Halls Spingfield bulldog racer i have under construction. although i am not a big electric flyer i was delighted to see a flying model photo and would be interested in how it handles. My version is a tad bigger and petrol powered. = 1/2 scale and powered by a 275cc twin. I have upset all you electric guys now, but we are all bulldog fans. Should any one want to see it go to RCSCALEBUILDER.COM then to forums, then to other designers, then to don neils hall bulldog. for the build so far. If any of you who fly the bulldog can give me some info on history or on the flight characteristics of the model i shall be greatfull.????

casor
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Pat -
Recommend you see the Dec 07 issue of FlyRc "Airshow" article where my 1/9 scale 34" E - Bulldog was featured. All the specs and flight performance are shown there as well as references. If you contact Thayer Syme at FlyRC (Maplegate Media group) he will get you a back issue. If you have trouble let me know.

My Bulldog weighs 18oz and has over 100 watts in per lb of power and flies on 1/2 throttle with no bad habits. I have about 3 degrees of washout in the wings and enlarged the wing about 5% off scale and also lengthened the nose slightly. There are a couple of pics at turnkeyrc.com. I think the key to this model as with just about any other is to keep it light and don't overbuild it and put a lot of power on it.
Rob Caso

patsbulldog
12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Pat -
Recommend you see the Dec 07 issue of FlyRc "Airshow" article where my 1/9 scale 34" E - Bulldog was featured. All the specs and flight performance are shown there as well as references. If you contact Thayer Syme at FlyRC (Maplegate Media group) he will get you a back issue. If you have trouble let me know.

My Bulldog weighs 18oz and has over 100 watts in per lb of power and flies on 1/2 throttle with no bad habits. I have about 3 degrees of washout in the wings and enlarged the wing about 5% off scale and also lengthened the nose slightly. There are a couple of pics at turnkeyrc.com. I think the key to this model as with just about any other is to keep it light and don't overbuild it and put a lot of power on it.
Rob Caso
Thanks for the info, will keep you bulldog lovers informed as project procedes. Pat

A1-Skyraider
10-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi,
In this kit, does it include everything to build the plane? I know that electronics are not included. I thought you had a laser kit for a 48" as well. Please let me know, and the cost of both of them. I thank you very much.

JetPlaneFlyer
10-12-2014, 05:25 AM
The thread is seven years old and Casor has not been active on the forum for over four years, so I dont think you are going to get a reply. I checked out Casor's web site 'TurnKeyRC.com' and sadly it's closed, so it's likely that the kit is no longer in production.

The_village_idiot
10-17-2014, 02:53 AM
Here's a link to a Bulldog I built based on a set of Cleveland Model Supply plans. I stretched the wingspan a bit to get about to the 40" you mentioned. Sorry the thread isn't very good but I hope it gives you some idea of the plan and how it flies.

t=65396http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65396

CHELLIE
10-17-2014, 07:18 AM
plans, not sure how big it is

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/categories.php?cat_id=65&sessionid=c17352fc29453ebf1989d933d5417b4d&page=3

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/data/thumbnails/65/springfield_bulldog.jpg

Markypolo
01-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Not sure where to start but you gentlemen seem to know a lot about this model airplane. My Dad built a balsa Hall Bulldog sometime in the 1940's. I have most of the plane but it is in several pieces. I'm trying to locate building plans to attempt to restore it to "hanging" condition; not flying condition. Not sure of the scale, but the fuselage is about 19" long and the wingspan is just under 30". I will really appreciate hearing from anyone who might help put me on the right track

BroncoSquid
01-18-2015, 05:57 AM
Marky,
I guess my first question is... what is your modeling and or wood working background?

The model looks "Retired". Flown and repaired till it is no longer safe to fly. Based on the motor and electronics having been removed. As each designer has their own idea the best way to build a structure, I will be suprized if you find an exact set of plans.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress if you choose to share it with us here at WF.

Markypolo
01-20-2015, 02:42 AM
I've never built an entire model of balsa but have several years experience working with wood that eventually became pieces of simple furniture. I'm confident in my ability to learn and, this being a labor of love, will be patient but determined to restore the Bulldog to presentation condition. Ultimately the restored model will be a gift to my Dad's only grandson. I remember my dad telling me the plane was a kit--but I'm sure "kits" in the 1940's involved much more handiwork/craftsmanship than the kits of today. Even if I can't find original plans, I'm hoping that Bulldog plans for any similar-sized plane would help me with scaling any pieces I need to replicate. Thank you for your reply and please keep me in mind if you hear of anyone working on a similar project.

Markypolo
01-20-2015, 02:46 AM
BTW--do you know if a product for covering wing assemblies called Silk Span is still made, and if so, where could I source it? Thank you.

Ronald86
01-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Vintage model kits are hard to get nowadays. Especially "Halls Bulldog Racer".

The_village_idiot
02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Markypolo -
You might try Cleveland Model Supply:
http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asp
I bought the plans for my Bulldog from them. The plans are based on old rubber-band power. I can't say exactly from when but I think the drawings mention something about the 1960's on them. They may be a decent reference. They offer drawings in a 26.7" span, which is close to the 30" you mention.