PDA

View Full Version : Goldberg Husky 400

kloudking
11-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Is this airplane supposed to fly or was it built just to be pretty and hang on the ceiling???? I have one, and it has BAD flying characteristics, snaps with to much rudder, snaps with to much elevator, and snaps if you try to come in with out power, and or slow it down enough so it doesn't go screaming by you. It is also very unpredictable as to what it does in the air, while flying. I called Goldberg, and they were NO help. This thing balances at 30% of the cord, their measurements and directions. and is built straight as a die.
HELP!!! I like the looks, but the flying is not user friendly..Any suggestions other than to thump it and start again?????? This plane is not cheap, at 89.95

rcers
11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Move the CG up to 25%.

What are your throws set at (how much elevator/aileron control thorow do you have)?

Jeremy Z
11-27-2005, 02:33 AM
If it snaps too easily, dial in some exponential, slow rates, or move the push-rods to the slowest settings. (furthest inside on the servo, furthest outside on the control surface)

Goldberg has an awesome reputation, I'm surprised they're handing you out to dry like this.

Jeremy

leparks
12-03-2005, 11:08 PM
KloudKing (or anyone else),

I just got this model in the mail. I would be interested to know how you set up your flight system and what gear you used. Obviously, six servos far exceed recommendations for any ESC/BEC I have seen, and Goldberg's recommendations are contradictory. For example, they say "we used...Futaba... S3108 servos and Great Planes ElectriFly Receiver w/o speed control." However, their pictures in the assembly steps show S3107 servos and a four channel ElectriFly receiver (in a five channel model?). Searching the GreatPlanes ElectriFly website, it looks like they manufacture only two receivers (a 4- and a 5-channel) and both have built in ESC's.

I've been using Hitec 555 receivers and HS-55 servos with the Pheonix 25, but have never pushed it on the number of servos. Assuming the draw of the two on the flaps will be minimal, the other four still push it at 3S LiPo voltage...

As you have noted, I expect this will be a squirrely plane with the flat wing, large control surfaces, and short tail moment. It is a good looking plane, though, isn't it?

I was searching around RCU for info on this plane while I waited for the mail to bring it. Though I found nothing on it, I found lots of disgust with the quality and service of Lanier. I was not sure why the search on Goldberg kept turning up threads on Lanier until I followed one to its end where someone pointed out that Lanier recently acquired Goldberg. May be why your experience does not match what Smaug would have expected. Lots of folks were expressing concern that Lanier's shortcomings will become Goldberg's as well.

Either way, I am very happy with the quality of this kit (except for the instructions). The wood, laser cutting, construction, and covering are nearly perfect. I just hope once it is trimmed it flies as good as it looks!

simibill
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
And they say you need "5 Minuet Epoxy" too.

kloudking
12-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Ok now I uderstand why the people I called Goldberg????? Lanier were as helpful as a nest of snakes.. I have dealt with Lanier before and was not a happy camper at that point. I guess I will stay away from Goldberg models from now on.. As to my setup, I used an Axi 2208 on an aluminum stick mount that I found at JGRC in FL. I had to addapt it to fit through the existing hole in the cowl.. I used one of the GWS 6 chanel receivers and 6 small Hurricane servos 5gm. All of this through a Castle creation 10 amp. brushless controler. All of the equipment worked flawlessley. I started at the suggested CG. (Bad idea) then moved it to the 28% point, and had to add a bunch of lead inside the cowl 21/2 oz. The damn thing still flew like It was tail heavy. I have not gone to 25% yet. The plane is VERY twitchy and will stall without notice, both high speed and slow speed..If you don't cary some throtle to the ground while landing you will stall and or snap at any altitude.. I have been building, designing, and flying airplanes for 35 years and this one still has me baffled. IT IS and ARF and IT should NOT have the incidence built into it wrong if it does Lanier should recall everyone they put out..Like I said before anyone want this thing for 40.00 plus shippiing contact me at bbeez@ix.netcom.com It is pretty, but $89.99 for a ceiling decoration is out of my budget... Jack

rcers
12-04-2005, 07:49 PM
6 small Hurricane servos 5gm

OK - now I think I know the problem. Do these center well? I had the same issues with a plane only the find out it was not the plane, but the servos!

Have you checked them?

Mike

simibill
12-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I hope somebody knows the problem, or rather, the solution. I bought this model and am waiting for delivery.

leparks
12-04-2005, 11:13 PM
I will be traveling for most of the next month, so I will not have a chance to put mine together until near end of January. It has been far too cold here to stand outside and fly anyway. I'm going to go fly with my brother in southern California where 50 degrees is t-shirt weather!

Hopefully, you guys will have this figured out by the time I get back. Please keep posting as you solve the problem(s). I expect this will be a twitchy (maneuverable) plane (which is why I got it), but I see no reason it cannot be made to fly predictably and successfully.

Anyone see a problem putting 6 Hitec HS-55's on a 555 receiver with a Pheonix 25 and an ElictriFly A/30/29 under a 3S LiPo?

I have had a thought on this, but I hate to add the weight (unless I have to for balance as per kloudKing). I could turn off the BEC and run the radio on a small, 270 mA flight battery...

rcers
12-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Hopefully, you guys will have this figured out by the time I get back. Please keep posting as you solve the problem(s). I expect this will be a twitchy (maneuverable) plane (which is why I got it), but I see no reason it cannot be made to fly predictably and successfully.
My friend just got one, I will see if it has any issues. I can tell you the Chipmunk flies wonderfully, and Goldberg normally puts out good stuff....

Anyone see a problem putting 6 Hitec HS-55's on a 555 receiver with a Pheonix 25 and an ElictriFly A/30/29 under a 3S LiPo?

Yep, 4 servos is pushing it hard, 6 will likely cook the the BEC circuit.

Mike

leparks
01-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Anyone making any progress with this model? I am back home, and am ready to start doing something with mine...

Gullwing
01-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Kind of off the Husky topic, I have Goldberg Chipmunk 400. Same problems I do not think they have their CG specs right in the manual. I think the next time out the battery is going way forward. Good luck with your Goldberg...............GW

qban_flyer
01-08-2006, 06:17 AM
I started at the suggested CG. (Bad idea) then moved it to the 28% point, and had to add a bunch of lead inside the cowl 21/2 oz. The damn thing still flew like It was tail heavy. I have not gone to 25% yet. The plane is VERY twitchy and will stall without notice, both high speed and slow speed. It is pretty, but $89.99 for a ceiling decoration is out of my budget... Jack

In all likelihood it is tail heavy. I had a similar problem with my Hangar 9 Cub. Balanced as specified made it a very twitchy model to fly at all speeds. It is now balanced @ 25% and it flies Cub like.:)

BTW, another model having the same problem is the Lil' Rascal. Balance it at the spar as suggested by SIG and it will be rather wild to fly, it will tip stall and fall out of the sky on tight turns. I moved the CG forward by 1/4" and that was enough to remove all its bad habits away.:)

You mentioned Carl Goldberg being associated with Lanier. I cut some of my R/C teeth on Lanier early ARFs. They were, well, early ARF models but flew reasonably well for the price. I have also flown some other models they have offered over the years. I have had no problems with them, so there has been no need for me to request assistance from their customer/service department.

If they feel they are so high up on the Totem Pole they can ignore you, and any other customers for that matter, they are headed for oblivion. There are too many good ARF manufacturers out there who would give an arm and a leg to have us all buy their wares. Goldberg/Lanier had better watch out the way they handle their customer relations departments. Failure to treat customers with the courtesy and respect we deserve will send them south as a commercial venture rather quickly.:(

tribum
02-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Has anyone who has assembled this plane got any suggested mods or reinforcements? It will be completely overpowered (200W/lb) with a Torque 2830-1095 motor, Phoenix 35W ESC and TP 2100mAh 3SLiPo.

Given the large battery and ESC do you think the 6 HS-55 servos will overload the BEC circuit? I certailnly don't think I will have any problem getting the CG forward.

kloudking
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Ballance the damn thing at 25%, and good luck.. My ceiling decoration was traded for an 800mah li-po, and I feel like I got the better of the deal.. Jack

leparks
02-07-2006, 03:53 AM
I have still not put mine together. I got distracted with some of my others of tens of models. Besides, it's been -10 to -40 here for weeks anyway. I did find what looks like a solution to the BEC overload issue, though, at http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm.

The ParkBEC replaces the speed control's built in BEC w/ a more robust voltage regulator. What little discussion I have found on the unit sounds like it works well. I think it is a better bet than putting 6 servos on your speed control.

Let me know how she flies. In spite of the experiences of kloudKing, I am still holding on to some hope...

tribum
02-07-2006, 05:07 AM
I too hope KloudKing's experience was isolated. I'm going to be flying the Husky off skis which may well solve or exacerbate the problem. The ParkBEC seems to be a neat device but I am still confused why it, at a max rated current of 1.5A can handle 6 servos and the Phoenix 35 BEC rated at 3A can't?

leparks
02-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Tribum,

I spent quite a while searching and reading to get to the bottom of this counter-intuitive facet of the ESC/BEC also. The issue is that the built-in BEC's (at least the one's we are talking about here) regulate the voltage via resistance. The greater the voltage differential (battery side vrs. receiver side) the greater the heat generated. The more batteries in series, and the more servos employed, the greater the differential, the greater the heat. The BEC can take only so much...

The Park site gives a good explanation of how their BEC works on this page: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/switchingregulators.htm. If you'd rather skip the explanation, the effect is summed up in this passage from the Park site:With the linear BEC built into most speed controls, the current rating decreases as pack voltage increases. For example, several popular 25A ESCs with "3A" BECs are only capable of supplying 0.5A when running from a 3s pack. Because it is an efficient switching regulator, ParkBEC can supply its full rated current of 1.25A all the way up to 8s.
Though they are concerned with selling their product, this is consistent with what I pieced together from chasing threads all over the place.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your Husky!

BTW, I've flown some of my glow models from skis- lots of fun!

tribum
02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks leparks. It would appear that the ParkBEC at only .25oz is the safe way to go but based on most of the PM's I received most people think that the Phoenix 35 can safely handle six servos. Given that two of the servos are on flaps and the Goldberg Husky 400 is a high wing (shouldn't be doing high G maneuvers) weighing only 22oz I would agree that it is probably OK. None the less, at .25oz and $25, I can't see the point in possibly frying a $80 ESC.

leparks
02-07-2006, 09:41 PM
My thoughts exactly Tribum. I am planning on the Pheonix 25 and also considered trying it, assuming the flap servos do almost nothing most of the time. The ParkBEC removes the risk and the worry, though, for little cost, so why not?

Please let me know how your Husky performs...

Scottrik
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm currently "building" a Husky as my first plane. What is meant by "balancing at 25%"? I'm guessing it refers to moving the cg (back?) but to where? 25% of the wing chord back from the leading edge or...?

Goldberg Husky, HiMaxx 2816-1220 (200W) brushless, E-Flite 40amp esc, TP 1320 lipo, Spektrum rf and servos (E-flite S75 servos for flaps).

tia,

Scottrik

tribum
02-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Scottrik, the wing chord is 7.5" and the specified balance point is 2.25" inches back form the leading edge of the wing or 30% (2.25/7.5 * 100). Given that this is a constant chord wing you can measure back at any point.

kloudking
02-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Scottrik::: If this is your first airplane, DO NOT try to fly it until you get some experience on something a lot more docile.. Ballance the damn thing at about 13/4- 2" back from the leading edge. It NEEDS to be VERY nose heavy. If you want to have some fun learning, get an easy star from hobby-Lobby ($59.00???) This way you have a chance and won't get totally frustrated.. Jack Groves

Scottrik
02-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Sorry,not interested in flying anything that doesn't look like a "real" plane to me--I'm only interested in relatively scale flying. As far as frustration, I'm pretty good at working my way through challenges...probably have more fun for having overcome. I HOPE to have my Husky "built" and in the air in the next couple weeks.

Scottrik

kloudking
02-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey Scotrik:: Good luck, but I will guarantee you will be frustrated.. Iv'e been in the hobby for almost 40 years, and the Husky is probably the most frustrating plane I ever tried to get to fly.. I finally traded it for a li-po battery, and felt that I came out on the better end of the deal... Jack

leparks
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Scottrik, though I understand where you are coming from, Kloudking is right!

I too tend to gravitate to challenges. In fact, my brother and I taught ourselves to fly R/C using Sig Rascals. We too were told that we would leave nothing but a trail of debris. Though we did much better than that, every flight for the first four days or so cost us each a propellor, a 4-40 wing bolt, and a glob of epoxy to put the top of the cabin back on the fuselage. By time we were flying as much duct tape as covering, we had it down to a couple three propellors a week.

With the short tail moment and ailerons that model is going to way over control as you get comfortable with the sticks and develop a muscle memory. You will not have time to think your way through a flight, and once the pressure is on, you may not be able to think at all. Unlike the Rascal, the Husky is going to have about zero self-recovery characteristics.

I'm not saying it is impossible to learn on, but it will be hard. If you can find an experienced pilot to help you, you may be OK. If your like my brother and I, do like we did and go well away from people and property. Take glues, tape, tools, and extra parts. When you feel like you will never get it, keep at it. It'll come, but at a greater, and maybe much greater, cost...

Mr. Baggins
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I maidened a Husky for a guy yesterday. He had the 2015-5400 on a Cobri box and six servos. I found it to be a very very nice looking model and a respectable flyer as well. The only thing that surprised me was the speed it wa scapable of and it didn't bleed off much on approach either. She comes in HOT without flaps. I flew it without the flaps so I can't say how it would do with them. The Cobri box lost gear mesh on a vertical (straight up) climb and had to land her dead stick.

tribum
05-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Try the flaps next time; You will find that they are very effective and make landings considerably easier. I mixed in 10% elevator to keep it from balooning. I have also found that they shorten the takeoff distance by about half.

Mr. Baggins
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
If I ever get to fly it again I'll definitely give the flaps a shot. This is one of the few models I've flown that could truly benefit from flaps for something other than a novelty.

Graphite2003
09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I just received my mail order of Husky 400. I'm putting it up together. Hope this thing can fly and land. The body looks very fragile to me. Seems like it's gonna break something everytime i land.

kloudking
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi there Graphite2003 Do yourself a big favor (wrap it back up and return it) I had one and HATED it.. If you do try to fly it make sure you have a nose down attitude at NO MORE than 25% of the wing. I don't care what the directions say 25% is it. If you do this you have a chance.. Also DO NOT try the flaps until you have several flights on it.. Any flap at all on take off and it will go STRAIGHT UP and then straight down, and that pretty cowl will be in several pieces.. I got so frustrated with mine that I sold it for$8.00.. after spending $90.00 or whatever... It flies quite fast and will tip stall very easily if slowed down past sonic speed on a landing... Good luck with yours, and I hope you enjoy it is a pretty aircraft...

huskyhumper
09-29-2006, 06:12 AM
well i tell ya I built my husky and it flys awesome. use full flaps all the way down axi 26 12 26 2100 lipo balance it a little nose heavy wing came twisted check and equal the wash out add 2 in pnuematic trexler tires and remake landing gear with next heavy guage wire for the 2 in wood hubs the tires work great roll on anything even deep rough grass. also the vert stab flexed with elevator so strap carbon fiber flat bands 1/8 in to outboard tips of horizontal stab use ca remove covering then drill small holes for fishing line in outboard edge of struts then hole in top of tail tie a knot feed it from bottom up through top of tail then down to other strut pull tight then drop of ca at end spray accelerator the square up vert stab drop of glue in top of tail then accelerator. this corrects crooked vert stab on any plane and it holds it tight. It flies perfect realy perfect. dont let it kick your rear end just need to learn how to build cloud killer. never listen to factory cg location balance on spar level or little nose heavy for first flight always then adjust to taste. a slightly tail heavy plane will have way to much sensative tail feathers on any plane except 3d. if plane is twitchy then usually tail heavy and will want to stall. fly at half throttle trim for level flight land plane look at horizontal stab position if its up you nose heavy if its down tail heavy this will always tell you how is the tail holding the nose. read Ama magazine trim you model from ground up in june july august and sept for 06. if you read this all of the problems on this post will be answered. thats how I have fix all crappy problems on my planes. and balance side to side as well as balsa wings are never equal in density is one wing is slightyle heavy it will seem like a tip stall and will drop a wing when flying slow. my husky needed one nail in wing tip. using a jesa 18 jeti esc with 6 servos has had no problems at all but just dont dump flaps and crank all servos o the limit with full throttle. I have and all is ok but use common sense and 6 servos is ok but use a ubec and you will be fine. Hope this helps you. Its a cool plane with flaps! not many 5 channel park flyers with flaps make it work . It dosnt pitch up or down with flaps dont mix elevator with flaps untill you try them up high in the sky then add up or down mix to flap as needed. in summery- cg on nose strap tail like a real husky add pnuematic tires beef landing gear check and equal washout balance side to side and it will leap off the ground and puff in with FULL flaps for a landing. I love my husky and want to hump it.

huskyhumper
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
also ignore cloud kings posts about the husky his plane was obviously tail heavy everyone at my field wants one as its the only decent park flyer with real falps that really work. Come on cloudkiller be postitive. from now on I will cut my ailerons and add flaps so I can slow down just like a real plane. can I post pics in here?

huskyhumper
09-29-2006, 06:24 AM
not a good first plane must be seasoned at flying and building.

Taylorman
09-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I have yet to maiden my husky. I've set it up with six servo's for flaps and have balanced it a little nose heavy. Unfortunately, the winds up in Cleveland haven't been light enough for a maiden. Since I'm waiting for the right conditions, I may take Huskyhumper's suggestion about beefing up the hor. and vert. stab. while I'm waiting. Sure is a pretty plane though!

huskyhumper
10-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Thats what bad weather is for fine tuning in the hanger. I wish I could post a pic in here so you can see the reinforced tail feathers. How do I make a pic into html? flew mine in the wind bout 15 mph winds it was hairy the tale spins around like a wind sock and the flaps kept it more managable than I expected. but not on a maiden! wait untill it hurts. also cut open small hole under cowl for more cooling with a dremmil and small pine cone bit. and dont forget to get some trexler tires look them up. Plus the landing gear mount is week add spruce gussets behind wood plate and attach to the sides on first landing(hardbounce) the landing gear popped the wood out not much there. small L shape spruce from a doll house kit glued with ca and it was O good time to use the next bigger gauge wire for new gear so I moved the broken plate back 1/16th or so it will be easy to cut mine was broken but if you beef it first you can learn by my test boo boos. How do you post a pic? jeexe html jpg?

huskyhumper
10-01-2006, 05:50 AM
husky pic with reinforcements hope this works

huskyhumper
10-01-2006, 06:04 AM
I also ground off the contoll horns on all wing controlls and went to screw on horns but the screws hit the upper hinge line so when you install them in the flaps one screw from top and one from bottom my horns had diagonnally placed holes. also note in pic see the carbon fiber under wheel strut panels the fold with wire bend. those air filled tires make it twice as fun and look like the real husky I do bounce and goes on rough grass. also went to .256 all thread rod and glod clevises wihch makes it more possible to have all flaps and ailerons all dialed in nuetral together it was a problem on first flight and this gives you 4 more easy adjustments and add .256 nuts behind clevises. easy mod 2 evenings plus got me away from the wife.

Taylorman
10-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks Huskyhumper! I'm going to incorporate the tail feather supports first. The pic you posted made your post easier to understand.

Waterbird
10-16-2006, 03:04 PM
My hat's off to huskyhumper for tweaking his Husky to be a good flyer. Like everybody else, I LOVED the look of the plane -- but finally kissed mine goodbye. Sorry to be negative; it's not in my nature. But the hard truth is, this plane is just not worth the effort.

I bought and assembled my Husky around the same time as the Goldberg Chipmunk -- which is a very good flyer, and remains one of my favorites.

For the Husky, I used the exact ingredients spec'd in the manual. The motor system worked OK -- but today I'd use one of the new breed of cheaper outrunners -- because the plastic gear drive is a weak link. My first one cracked from just static motor testing on my Watt meter; a second cracked in a hard landing.

I tried to tame this cool looking little plane through a dozen flights and a couple pretty extensive mods, but finally gave up and used the 6 servos and radio gear to fly better birds.

I had no trouble with the 6 servos "over-powering the BEC" situation -- just used a switching BEC from Dimension Engineering ($20 and no worries -- could keep flaps on all the time if desired.) But from the maiden, my Husky had me and a couple more experienced flyers scratching our heads about it's unpredictable flight behavior. Just didn't like it's inclination to go straight up when throttled up, and then to just snap and jump whenever it wanted.

In my first 4 or 5 flights (all with easy ROGs and reasonable (if not pretty) landings, I tried the obvious adjustments -- more down thrust on motor, increasingly more forward CG -- till it wanted to nose down like a brick, but nothing cured the basic bad behavior.

I confess I never tried huskyhumper's solutions -- shoring up the tail feathers and trying to balance side to side with with added wing weight. My other 9 or 10 park flyer models never seemed to need such steps to fly OK.

So I consulted two more expert pilots -- they checked it carefully, flew it a couple times, suggested balance adjustments -- including changing the wing incidence with spacers (which made it worse -- and we tried BOTH front and back in separate flights!). The thinking was that the problem was EITHER that unique wing section (perfectly flat bottom), or -- more likely -- extreme short coupling, COMBINED with the unique wing.

Feeling I had nothing to lose, I gritted my teeth, and sawed off the tail -- just about 10 mm forward of the vertical stabilizer. I grafted in balsa stringers (reinforced on the sides with strips of carbon fiber "blades"), to make the back of the fuse 1 3/4" longer (an arbitrary amount suggested by my many-yeaer-experienced buddies), and recovered the new addition with some white ultracote I had in stock.

In fact, this mod did make the Husky a bit better. The "pitch up under power" seemed cured. But overall, it still did not fly NEARLY as stable as other park birds its size and general type -- still would try to snap over on occasion and generally pitch up or down unexpectedly at times.

I finally concluded that the wing shape is just not stable -- and that there are too many other good models to justify the space the Husky took up. After the hard landing that cracked the gear drive (unexpected pitch down on final), I took it apart, used various parts for other stuff, and trashed the rest.

huskyhumper
10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Man Im sorry But My husky dosnt do that but I had a plane that climbed up under power like that and I fixed it the wing and the horizontal satb were not at the same incedence. not sure how to spell that, so they have to be at the same angle. The stab had a slight up to it that seems to get worse the faster it flew my dad found it with the laser tool from great planes and found that they didnt match the wing and stab werent the same angles. down thrust and shiming the wing wont help if stab is off. as for the sudden snap rolling mine did that before I strapped the tail down. if the rudder moves 1 deg during a loop guess what snap roll!
also I added blenderm to the gaps in the aeilerons. The gaps were huge and gaps cause leaking and actually make the ailerons work backward near stall. Read trimming model Aug ama magazine page 77. my husky flies great straight touch and goes flys hands off loops snap rolls knife egde rolls. I hate gear drives and used a axi 26 12 26 its a little underpowered but flies great. Plastic gears suck bad touch the prop to the ground and the fun is over quick. also I added a bunch of washout in each wing tip that helped allot. Guess I got lucky and got a good husky?
sounds like you got your but kicked by and arf.

Taylorman
11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, Finally maidened my Husky yesterday. I did not have any of the issues noted in previous threads except for a being a little nose heavy (set the CG at 25%.) I'm going to experiment a little w/that. The flaps worked well slowing the plane down just right for landing. Maybe I got lucky, but the plane flies.

huskyhumper
11-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Glad to hear it flew. Cg always has to be retuned with all the different setups. I like the flaps. I have mine go down as far as possible. The factory flap throw didnt change anything that much but with full flaps it goes very slow and it makes a much shorter take off and keep them down untill climb out. Another husky winner Yay! add trexler air filled tires and remake gear wire for the big hubs, also a huge improvement.

Taylorman
11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm going to start experimenting w/the C/G this weekend. Weather permitting. We'll see what happens! For now, I'm going to leave the flaps at the factory setting for now.

Taylorman
11-18-2006, 09:50 PM
3 more good flights w/my Husky. Moving the CG back to about 27% did the trick. It flew essentially hands off and very scale. When I extended the flaps on final, it slowed to a crawl for perfect 3 point landings! My P-47 is still my favorite plane, but my Husky is up there!

mgdon
12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Huskyhumper or Taylorman,
I've had a Husky for some time-had a friend fly it and it flew fine except it was a lot too fast for me at the time.(Himax 2212-850/3 cell lipo/APC 10/5 E prop.)
I'm almost ready to fly it (by the way I have Trexlers on mine too).
And was wondering two things:
I have a 3 position flap switch on my transmitter-what settings would you
recommend for positions 2 and 3?
I was thinking in the neighborhood of 20 and 30 degrees.
What control throws are you using for ailerons/rudder/elevator and are you using differential ailerons?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Taylorman
12-12-2006, 12:57 AM
mgdon,

I don't come to this forum very often so sorry for the delay in answering you.

So far I'm using the recommended throws for all the controll surfaces and the flaps, and she flies just fine. I would venture to guess you could use 15-20 degrees 25-30 then full flap. I set up my transmitter to automatically ad 10% down when flaps are deployed to counter the "pitch up"

Personally I would go lowest on position one of your switch 25-30 on position 2 than full on position three (force of habit from my real flying days - especially if you lose power, once you put flaps on you can't take them off safely)

You'll have to experiment w/different flap settings and see how your plane reacts.

Good luck, they sure look great in the air!!!!

Graphite2003
12-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi All,

I just madiened my Husky 400 yesterday. This thing can fly. I didn't see any problem mentioned in the previous posts. However, it was a bit windy yesterday (about 25km), I did not try lowering the flap.

I guess I would try that when the wind is a little bit steady.

Anson

gsk11740
12-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I may just have to re-think this one. At first I didn't want to get the Husky after reading some of the bad posts here and on other forums about it but since it seems everyone is getting it sorted out, maybe I'll go ahead and get one after all. I just can't get over the looks of the plane. Love it. Still have two other planes to build first though and also got to find a new flying field.

Taylorman
12-20-2006, 10:15 PM
gsk11740,

I've gotten 10 flights out of my Husky as of today without any incident. Each has been up to 15 minutes and in winds up to maybe 12 MPH. After the last flight, I decided to upgrade to an Eflight Park 450 outrunner for a little more oomph. I'm hopefully going to be able to get to the field this weekend to see how it does. I expect better more rounded loops and a faster cruise speed. We'll see.

I bought my Husky because I was seduced by the pic on the box like everyone else, then discovered this thread. I was immediately put off on the plane when I read the initial posts. Since I had already started to build it, it was too late to exchange for another. I decided to press on - either it'll fly or not. In fact I took it out to the field several times and didn't fly it for fear I'd end up crashing. Finaly I figured oh what the heck. Fired it up, hand launched and it climbed with authority with the Park 400 outrunner, APC 8x6 prop, 20amp ESC w/external bec and a TP1320 3s Lipo to altitude (3 mistakes high). It flew very scale w/no particular bad habits and I was having a great time w/it while kicking myself for not doing the "maiden" sooner.

Yes, I did some tweeking of the servo travel, expo, trims, C/G (it's now at 27%), and beefed up the horizontal stabilizer as HuskyHumper recommended. I am using all six servo's and I can tell you the plane slows to a crawl with flaps extended for great landings. Aside from what I consider normal initial tweeking/adjusting after the maiden flight (who doesn't have to do that), My Husky has and continues to fly well from the very beginning. BTW, I still consider myself a novice at building (even though it's an ARF) and flying since I've just gotten back to the hobby last summer after a 35year layoff. The Husky looks great, flies great...Doesn't get any better than that!:D

gsk11740
12-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks Taylorman. Any tricks to adapting the Eflite 450 Outrunner or was it basically bolt on? Also, one thing I'm a bit fuzzy on is C/G. Not sure what 27% is. How is it measured? I've dealt with C/G before but it's usually "balance the plane so many inches from this point on the wing". I've not heard of a percentage measurement before.

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow for the Christmas holidays but when I come back, I think I'll go ahead and order the Husky from Tower. Since the other two planes I'm building also use the 450 Outrunner (Mini Ultra Stick and Mini Pulse XT), maybe I can get a bulk deal on 450's and ESC's? :D

Gary.

Taylorman
12-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Gary,

The Husky has a stick mount for the engine. You'll have to buy the 450 and a stick mount for it. Trim back the hardwood stick mount to get the correct mounting length for the engine and cowl. I can't remember exactly how many millimeters I trimed mine back, but mount the cowl and measure from the front of the cowl to the firewall. You can then take the total length of the 450 and mount and trim from there.

C/G measured in % is just another way to get the inches or millimeters from the leading edge of the wing. Take the mean aerodynamic chord (MAC); width of the wing at the fuselage (leading edge to trailing edge), and calculat the percentage.
The MAC on my Husky was 125.5mm. 27% is approximately 46mm from the leading edge. That's just a starting point. Because of different densities in the wood of your plane, you may have to experiment and adjust the C/G slightly forward or backward after the maiden to get it right on.

I believe the instructions w/the Husky called for a C/G of 33%. That made my Husky slightly tail heavy during the maiden (thank god not too tailheavy as to cause a crash). I tweeked in the field by moving the battery forward and got the C/G just about right after about the 2nd flight. minor adjustments from there and it was perfect.

If you are going to make the flaps usable (requiring an additional 2 servo's for a total of six), you'll have to add an external BEC so you don't fry the built in BEC in your speed control. I used the recommended flap travel and coupled 10% of down elevator to counter the normal pitch up when flaps are deployed. Start with the recommended aileron, elevator and rudder travel and then adjust to your flying tastes, and you should be good to go.

Huskyhumper may jump in here with some other tricks as well.

Good luck and happy holidays:)

rea59
12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Gary,

I believe the instructions w/the Husky called for a C/G of 33%. That made my Husky slightly tail heavy during the maiden (thank god not too tailheavy as to cause a crash).

I'm obviously missing something here. Please correct me. If 33% made the plane tail heavy and you moved to 27% to correct it. Doesn't that move your CG toward the nose making the tail even heavier?:confused:

Ray

rea59
12-22-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm obviously missing something here. Please correct me. If 33% made the plane tail heavy and you moved to 27% to correct it. Doesn't that move your CG toward the nose making the tail even heavier?:confused:

Ray

OK I'm quoting myself here. About an hour after posting that I went duh. I had looked at your explanation purely as a mathematical exercise and not as a physical movement of CG due to weight transfer. :o Sometimes us engineering types think too much or is it not enough. :D

gsk11740
12-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I looked at Taylorman's response, not as an engineer but rather as someone who got 2 hours of sleep before spending 10 hours on planes and in airports. I couldn't even say "Duh". More like fizzling noises coming out my ears. :D

Anyway, now that I'm among the living again, thanks again Taylorman. That makes sense on the C/G measurement. What I was thinking was close anyway. Just didn't get the percentage part. I have an extra BEC and a couple of servos laying around so I plan to run flaps although I hear they aren't really needed on this plane. I figure since I have the hardware anyway... I have a DX6 so I should be able to program in the down elevator too.

Now that I think about it, I remember reading something abot stick mounts. Never used one before so this will be another learning experience. It's amazing how much I am learning about planes now that I got away from the cheap foamie RTF's. Love it!

Gary.

Taylorman
12-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Glad to help. BTW as I was relearning the hobby, and especially electric power systems, I wen't DUH! more times that I care to admit. Especially with the new transmitters and expo, coupling, servo reversing, etc. I guess the most painful lesson was to learn how important it is to check to make sure you have the right plane selected in the transmitter (Eflight Cessna 182 in a thousand pieces 10 feet from hand launch).

Merry Christmas to everyone!:D

Taylorman
12-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Flew through 3 Battery packs today after upgrading the motor to a Eflite Park 450. Much better performance!!! Especially the speed in level flite at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.:D I got glitched a couple of times on the last flight which made for more excitement than I planned (unexplained snap to inverted flight:eek: ), but I was 3 mistakes high and all ended well! Great flying plane.:)

huskyhumper
12-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Well Cg center of gravity. Most planes even real ones balance at 1/3 of the wing measure wing front to back divide by 3 then measure from front of wing and make a small mark. This willusually be right on the main spar.
I ignore all balance suggestions from all arf instructions. Different motors bigger or smaller batteries so Witj my set ups always balance on the spar and maybe nose heavy. onec in the air slow to half throttle and trim for level flight. then land it. Before you turn off plane notice position of the elevator. If it has some up in the trim or elevator is slightly up then you have to much forward cg as the elvator is holding the nose up. or if the elevator appears to be down then its tail heavy. now once you have done this your cg wil be set. Now if you give it full throttle and it climbs up too fast you need more down thrust. But you can only check down thrust after triming for level flight. as for right thrust test climb plane away from you under full throttle if it skews to the left then more right thrust is needed. I read this in ama magazine and has been the best advice ever and all my models (10) have been fine tuned. I hope you could follow what Im saying here if not ask me again Ill be happy to help. If you read some of the negative post prior to these most of them would have been corrected with this setup. Ive built 25 models and was always confused about cg down at right thrust. Not any more. Todd

Taylorman
01-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Good Explanation Husky Humper. I think that some people forget that "Almost Ready to Fly" sometimes means that you have to tweak, adjust, and modify. Especially if you put in a different power set up than recommended. To me, that's part of the fun and satisfaction of the hobby when you end up with a great flying plane!:D

We've had some really good flying weather the past 4 days and I logged a total of 12 more flights on my Husky (10 to 15min)including some simple then aggressive aerobatics (as best I knew how to fly them as a beginner/almost intermediate flyer). There were certainly some ooh's and aaah' from some in the club. One thing I found is that the Husky turns on a dime! With the Eflite Park 450 outrunner, Loops can be flown from level flight. In level flight at 3/4 throttle, It really moves! During yesterday's last flight, the wind started gusting somewhere between 10 and 15 MPH. The Husky cut through without problem.:)

As it sits right now:
Eflite Park 450 Outrunner, 890 KV
TP 3s1320 Lipo
Eflite 25A ESC
Castle Creations external BEC
6 Eflite RS75 Servo's
JR 6ch Rx
APC 8x6E Propeller
With the mod's discussed in previous posts (stiffened tail, larger wheels, and I removed the wheel fairings etc), the AUW is 23.75 Oz
C/G = 47mm from leading edge

It's rapidly becoming my favorite!!!:D

gsk11740
01-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Well, my Husky should get here Thursday. I have 2 other planes to build before Spring and flying season starts back up. Can't wait! :D

huskyhumper
01-02-2007, 06:30 AM
I should never try typing here after drinking on new years eve The typos were all over! had a few coronas! The weather in seattle is way to bad to fly. insert second hobby here. Im looking at a T-6 on the website newcreations rc. Its a 46 in wing and all blow molded foam. Its under warbirds. But I did fly my husky on saturday In a large empty parking lot and the asphalt made me so nervous but did 8 touch and goes and just practiced slow flying with full flaps. So cool. Im usuing a axi 2212-26 and seems a little under powered. It does loops from level but isint a strong climber. I will beef it up soon so you like the park 450 taylor man? does it act like a cheap motor? or does it hold on all the way through? I like to always be way overpowered. park 450 cheap flying unlimted verticle? PRICLESS

Taylorman
01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Huskyhumper, I love the Park 450! Runs well with the setup I described earlier. I had the Eflite Park 400 outrunner in there at first and felt underpowered, especially if the wind went up to 10 mph. When turning into the wind, the plane would really slow down. I happen to have a spare 450 which was earmarked for another project and decided to try it out. I've been pleased ever since! the plane cuts into the wind. Now I'll have to save up for another 450.:)

gsk11740
01-05-2007, 02:03 PM
As it sits right now:
Eflite Park 450 Outrunner, 890 KV
TP 3s1320 Lipo
Eflite 25A ESC
Castle Creations external BEC
6 Eflite RS75 Servo's
JR 6ch Rx
APC 8x6E Propeller
With the mod's discussed in previous posts (stiffened tail, larger wheels, and I removed the wheel fairings etc), the AUW is 23.75 Oz
C/G = 47mm from leading edge

Uh, that 47% CG is a typo isn't it?

Got my Husky yesterday. I looked everything over to make sure everything was Ok because the shipping box looked a little mangled (no damage to anything inside). Looks like a really nice and well built ARF. It's going to be a while before I get to fly it but I think I'm really going to like this plane. I think I'm going to follow Taylorman's setup, other than maybe using 2100 Lipos (since I have them). Think they will fit Ok?

Gary.

Taylorman
01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
The C/G is 47mm from the leading edge.... not 47% I prefer converting to millimeters for these measurements.

Congrats on your Husky getting delivered! Good luck on the build. I haven't considered 2100's. I'll have to think about that. It flies so well as is.

BTW, in your build, don't forget to stiffen up the tail feathers. Both Huskyhumper and I fashioned struts for the horizontal stab and used wire or fishing line for the vertical stab. These mods improve the performance.

I've attached a couple of pics for you of the full size Husky so you see what we mean.:)

gsk11740
01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks again Taylorman. I went back and reread your post and am now totally convinced I need new glasses! Sigh! :rolleyes:

I never noticed in the pictures of the real Aviat Husky that they do indeed have the braces on the tail. I didn't want to put visible braces on because I didn't think they looked "scale" and was trying to think of a different way to brace them but after looking at some pics of the real ones, there they are. By the way, I've found "airliners.net" to be a great source of pics of the real planes. They had quite a few good pics of the Husky.

I have 2 planes, well maybe 3 - haven't decided on the Mini Pulse XT yet, that are ahead of the husky on the build and fly schedule. I had a really bad first flight with a Mini Ultra Stick that ended in a smashed plane. I've since rebuilt it but am questioning whether or not I was really ready for ailerons. I bought a "Soareasy" that I want to do first and get good at 4 channel and then I want to have another go at the MUS. Then I'll either do the Husky or the Mini Pulse XT. Probably the Husky but I'd rather tear up the others first. The Husky is too darned cute to wreck. :D

Gary.

P.S. This site really needs a spellchecker. I had to edit this 3 times before I got all my mistakes!

rea59
01-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Gary.

P.S. This site really needs a spellchecker. I had to edit this 3 times before I got all my mistakes!

Kind of off subject but I use IE Spell. It's a browser extension just for this type of form.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

PS. Fly the mini pulse first. It's easier than the Mus.:)

gsk11740
01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Kind of off subject but I use IE Spell. It's a browser extension just for this type of form.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

PS. Fly the mini pulse first. It's easier than the Mus.:)

The problem with IEspell is I'm on Linux and am running Firefox (but thanks anyway). Might be a Firefox equilvalent though.

I might do the MPXT first. I haven't decided yet. Can't really fly until spring anyway. It was an unbelievably 71 degrees today (weird even for this area) but too darned much wind to fly anything (25mph). Seems the wind does nothing but blow from November to April around here. :mad:

Sure does blow! :D

Taylorman
01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Gary,

Thanks for the link! it was a cool!

Remember, the Husky is more a plane for the intermediate pilot. My plane zip's along pretty well and is very responsive to the controls due to the short tail moment. In fact it turns on a dime! You need to keep ahead of it all the time and you can't be ham handed on the sticks.

The MUS I think is less forgiving than the Husky due to the shape of the wing and IMHO not a bird for the beginner. There are a few in my club flown by some pretty experienced guys. They seem to crash their MUS's quite a bit. Their other planes (high performance aerobatics and ducted fan jets), no problems and you never see them crash those - even after aggressive aerobatic maneuvers. If you're just getting into ailerons, get some stick time before flying the Husky.:)

rea59
01-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I might do the MPXT first. I haven't decided yet. Can't really fly until spring anyway. It was an unbelievably 71 degrees today (weird even for this area) but too darned much wind to fly anything (25mph). Seems the wind does nothing but blow from November to April around here. :mad:

Sure does blow! :D

The answer is bigger giant scale.:D But then again if your just learning ailerons maybe not.:eek: The MPXT although not exactly a beginner is very stable.:)

The problem with IEspell is I'm on Linux and am running Fire fox (but thanks anyway). Might be a Firefox equivalent though

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

For Firefox. Linux dictionary's also.

gsk11740
01-07-2007, 01:14 AM
rea59: Thanks for the link for spellbound. I didn't have much luck finding one so this is good.

Taylorman: Glad you liked the link. Most of the problems I had with the MUS was lack of knowledge about the plane and lack of preparation. I got in a hurry to fly it and didn't read the entire manual so I made a bunch of fatal mistakes such as not having throws set and CG right and forgetting to program in low rates. The plane was set up so badly that I doubt an experienced pilot could have flown it. It was a disaster looking for a place to happen but also a good learning experience. I plan to spend a great deal of time on a trainer I bought before I even think of trying the MUS or anything else with more than 3 channels. And I read the whole manual now! I got a Soareasy (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/soareasy.htm) that should work out pretty good for a trainer. Not sure why I didn't go with a foamie like the E-Starter other than I liked the looks of the Soareasy better. There's that "bought it on looks" problem again! :D

gsk11740
01-07-2007, 01:59 AM
By the way, the more I think about it, I probably will do the MPXT first.

I like the looks better than the MUS! :D

Taylorman
01-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Good Choice....

Flew a through a couple of battery packs w/the Husky today. We had an overcast sky and on the second flight and the white fuse of the plane really blended in w/the clouds. Figured I'd better get it on the ground before I lost orientation and something bad happened. One of the guys had an F-22 and with the scale low visibility paint scheme I was surprised he could see it! All in all though, not a bad day.:)

gsk11740
01-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Glad to hear you had some good flying today!

Hmmm, hadn't thought about the Husky's colors blending in with the clouds. That's going to be a big problem with me. When I commented earlier about needing glasses, I wasn't really kidding. My eyes are getting bad. This is one reason I quit flying helis. When they get too far away (and we're not talking any great distance here), I can't see which way they are pointed. Doesn't take long at all before I'm in big trouble. At least with planes, I can usually figure out orientation because for the most part they only go forward, not sideways or backwards or all the other crazy directions a heli can, so usually the only question is are they upside down or rightside up. If I have enough altitude, the elevator control usually answers the question. If it's not that high up, I can usually see it.

Well, the wife says as soon as we get our tax refund this year, it's off to get my eyes checked and new glasses.

rea59
01-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Glad to hear you had some good flying today!

Hmmm, hadn't thought about the Husky's colors blending in with the clouds. That's going to be a big problem with me. When I commented earlier about needing glasses, I wasn't really kidding. My eyes are getting bad. This is one reason I quit flying helis. When they get too far away (and we're not talking any great distance here), I can't see which way they are pointed. Doesn't take long at all before I'm in big trouble. At least with planes, I can usually figure out orientation because for the most part they only go forward, not sideways or backwards or all the other crazy directions a heli can, so usually the only question is are they upside down or rightside up. If I have enough altitude, the elevator control usually answers the question. If it's not that high up, I can usually see it.

Well, the wife says as soon as we get our tax refund this year, it's off to get my eyes checked and new glasses.

I have a similar problem with viewing things close up. :rolleyes: At least the MPXT has stripes on the bottom to let you know which side your looking at.:D

Taylorman
01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice Pic! The red and white stripes really stand out!

Is that an Eflite J3 Cub 25 hanging in the background? If it is, I have one as well. I enjoy the heck out of flying that one too!:) I've had mine since July, couple of repairs and one replacement of the fuse (one of the other flyers turned on his transmitter without checking the frequency board and started messing with the sticks - at the time I was 3 ft off the ground starting to climb when he did that. Immediate snap roll inverted and nosed in:eek: ) Since the rebuild, It's been flying great. Extremely Cub like and scale:)

rea59
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice Pic! The red and white stripes really stand out!

Is that an Eflite J3 Cub 25 hanging in the background? If it is, I have one as well. I enjoy the heck out of flying that one too!:) I've had mine since July, couple of repairs and one replacement of the fuse (one of the other flyers turned on his transmitter without checking the frequency board and started messing with the sticks - at the time I was 3 ft off the ground starting to climb when he did that. Immediate snap roll inverted and nosed in:eek: ) Since the rebuild, It's been flying great. Extremely Cub like and scale:)

Yes it's the same cub. I don't get to fly it much due to my field is a small park and the grass is too tall.:( I'm considering balloon tires in order to use the grass.:cool: The ground loops off pavement are pretty wicked and I'm fairly certain a hand launch is out of the question. :eek: There's lots of open space here you just have to get permission from a farm owner and hope you don't scare the Thoroughbreds. (or land in a pile of ...:rolleyes: ) I sold my farm last year but the neighbor had a real nice grass runway he used for his full size planes and RC's. Trouble there is it's 45 miles away. Winter around here is mostly rain and winds (although they are calling for snow tonight) so most of my time is spent building my 7'2.5" F4U Corsair. I will probably have to join a club to fly that one. The closest one has a 50' X 600' paved runway and a 50' X 600' grass runway.:D Same thing though it'd be a 25 mile drive and they want dues $$$ along with the AMA #. :mad:

Couple of other "projects" needing work.:o

Taylorman
01-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Without hijacking the thread, I don't get to fly my cub much either for the same reasons. The field where I normally fly gets pretty soggy after a rain or the grass is too tall to ROG.

As for the ground looping, I've gone to a 10x7 APC which helped. You still have to be quick on the sticks to avoid the ground loop.

gsk11740
01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I've heard the term mentioned before but never understood it. What exactly is a "ground loop" and how does one avoid it (since it doesn't sound good)?

rea59
01-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I've heard the term mentioned before but never understood it. What exactly is a "ground loop" and how does one avoid it (since it doesn't sound good)?

Basically what happens is the plane wants to make a hard left turn (as viewed from the tail) due to the motor torque during your take off roll. This is also due having insufficient airflow over the control surfaces. Use lots of rudder during ROG. Landings don't usually see it because your airspeed is up and you are reducing the throttle. The cub is very bad for it I'm not sure the husky will be. This is seen mostly with tail dragger's and is not as bad on grass. I switched from an 11x6 APC to a 10x6 Master Airscrew to reduce it.

gsk11740
01-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Well, this should be interesting then. Since I've always flown from an overgrown field, I've always had to hand launch and I just stalled them into the weeds to land. I've never done rolling takeoffs and landings before. I've been practicing with the sim and now that I may have a better place to fly, I plan to practice with the Supercub and then the Soareasy as soon as weather permits.

The more I think about it, my flying ability is not as advanced as I once thought. I may get the Husky built soon but I don't think I want to fly it (and chance destroying it) until I'm SURE I'm ready.

Gary.

Taylorman
01-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Gary,

Which transmitter do you use? You may be able to connect to another of the same transmitter and if you fly with a club there maybe someone you can "buddy box" with. The experienced pilot's Tx is the master, and the student's Tx is the slave (connected by a cable). The student flies and if it looks like he/she is getting into trouble:eek: , the more experienced pilot can immediately take over and hopefully save the day:D . One of the guys in my club did that with me when I was starting out and it really helped! Flying is a learned behavior. The more stick time the quicker you learn. Buddy boxing helps keep your plane intact and your instructor teaches you to fly. It's a lot quicker this way, less expensive, and for sure less frustrating!:)

The Husky is a good flying plane but more for the intermediate pilot. If you're like me when I was starting out, once I got a plane built I couldn't wait to get it in the air wether I was capable of flying it or not. The result was that I really got good at repairing major damage.:( I've even know guys who had someone more experienced fly the maiden for them or at least get them up in the air about 3 mistakes high let them fly it around and then land the plane for them. Not as good as buddy boxing but at least you get some hands on. Same end result you get experienced without all the heartache and sorrow of crashing.

gsk11740
01-10-2007, 03:17 AM
I have a DX6. Should be able to "buddy box" it. Same as JR really. As for flying ability, I have a Typhoon 3D that I have flown a few times. I wouldn't say I flew it well but I could do basic aerobatics with it (and some not so basic) and I did get it back down in one piece every time I flew it. I've heard many people comment about the Typhoon (mostly nothing nice to say about it) and I've had a few tell me if I can fly the Typhoon, I should be able to fly anything. I don't know if I would go that far. I know the Husky is not a beginner plane. I don't plan to fly the Husky until I can fly something like the MUS proficiently. As I may have mentioned earlier, I have a Hobby Lobby "Soareasy" that I bought to train on. It's supposedly a bit hotter in speed than the Supercub and has full controls so I think it will work well.

I have considered joining a club. The only local one I know of requires AMA membership which I just joined. Also our first meeting didn't go too well courtesy of my somewhat hyperactive 6 year old. I won't go into details but fortunately he didn't break anything however one of the members politely asked us to leave. I really can't blame them. I'm planning to wait a bit before I approach them again in hopes they forgot Kyle and I. Oh, and I'll leave Kyle at home next time! :D

Oh, rea59, I couldn't get spellbound to work. I have Firefox V2 and it won't run on it. I did find out that Firefox V2 has a spell check built in. Just needed to figure out how to turn it on. Works great now.

Taylorman
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I've found that flying with a club has been a lot of fun and also a great learning experience. Hope they let you in!

gsk11740
01-11-2007, 02:18 AM
I went on the AMA website under "Charter Club Locator" and found another club that is maybe slightly closer and they have a really nice looking flying field from what I could see in the aerial pics. That and they don't know about Kyle! :rolleyes: (Just kidding - I really love my kids - well most of the time anyway) Also, the owner of the club field, and I'm guessing also a club member has an old J-3 Cub (full size) he flies out of there.

I'm waiting to get my membership card from AMA (should be any day now) and then I'll go talk with the club, maybe attend a meeting or two and see where it goes from there.

Gary.

gsk11740
01-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, I got a 450 outrunner, 25a ESC and 6 servos, already have the BEC and the Rx is on backorder, so my Husky project is underway. I was looking over the kit yesterday and noticed instead of a proper steerable tail wheel, I have a bent piece of wire. I'm assuming you guys have probably swapped out the wire for a tail wheel (in the pic it looks like Huskyhumper has one). What do you guys recommend and did you hook up steering and if so how? Any more pics?

Thanks guys!

Taylorman
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Gary,

I used a Dubro Micro Steerable Tail Wheel (Dubro #926) $3.95. I took a piece of wire the same size as the stock pushrod (can't remember the size) and epoxy/wired to the rudder pushrod and used a Z bend on the wire to connect to the tail wheel control arm. Been working so far without problems and has held up landing on grass. As soon as I can find my cable to connect my camera to the computer I'll upload a pic for you.

Pete

gsk11740
01-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Gary,

I used a Dubro Micro Steerable Tail Wheel (Dubro #926) $3.95. I took a piece of wire the same size as the stock pushrod (can't remember the size) and epoxy/wired to the rudder pushrod and used a Z bend on the wire to connect to the tail wheel control arm. Been working so far without problems and has held up landing on grass. As soon as I can find my cable to connect my camera to the computer I'll upload a pic for you.

Pete

I had this picture in my mind about running an extra control rod to the rudder servo and steering it from that but wasn't sure if it would work so I was curious how you guys set it up. I'm looking forward to getting the Husky in the air but it sure does need a lot of little tweaks.

I got my Soareasy (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/soareasy.htm) up the other day. Flew it twice now. The performance is a little hotter than I was expecting for a trainer but nothing I can't handle. It's quickly become my favorite over the HZ SuperCub which I have now given to my son. He has 4 of my planes now and still doesn't know how to fly any of them. Gonna work on that this Spring! Oh, and I'm off to my first meeting of a local flying club tonight. My wife is actually pushing me to go. She says she likes the mood I'm in after I've been flying!

Taylorman
01-23-2007, 06:41 PM
[quote=gsk11740;143365]I had this picture in my mind about running an extra control rod to the rudder servo and steering it from that but wasn't sure if it would work so I was curious how you guys set it up. I'm looking forward to getting the Husky in the air but it sure does need a lot of little tweaks.

Yep there are a few tweaks that can improve the performance of any plane. To me, experimentation and the gratification (if it works:) ) is part of the fun of the hobby. If you've read some of my earlier posts, I believe just about every plane ends up being tweaked to get it "just right" for your tastes. Nothing wrong mind you, with flying anything "stock", I just like to experiment. That's why the Husky has been so much fun for me:D

Glad you're wife's on board with you flying. Mine is too!:)

gsk11740
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
[quote=gsk11740;143365]I had this picture in my mind about running an extra control rod to the rudder servo and steering it from that but wasn't sure if it would work so I was curious how you guys set it up. I'm looking forward to getting the Husky in the air but it sure does need a lot of little tweaks.

Yep there are a few tweaks that can improve the performance of any plane. To me, experimentation and the gratification (if it works:) ) is part of the fun of the hobby. If you've read some of my earlier posts, I believe just about every plane ends up being tweaked to get it "just right" for your tastes. Nothing wrong mind you, with flying anything "stock", I just like to experiment. That's why the Husky has been so much fun for me:D

Glad you're wife's on board with you flying. Mine is too!:)

Oh, I love tweaking things. It's just that some of my "tweaks" have got me into trouble! (We won't discuss the 45mph riding lawnmower I keep in the shed! :rolleyes: ) At least with the planes, my wife figures I can't get into too much trouble. Ha Ha! Little does she know! ;)

I had to do a few tweaks to my Soareasy. The instructions were a joke. Things like the way they had the battery mounted just didn't work in reality. I had to fabricate quite a few things but it flies great. I'm already looking at things I can "improve" on it.

By the way, what did you guys use for tail braces on the Husky and how did you mount them? I thought this was a good photo of the braces on the real Husky:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=335786

Taylorman
01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Gary,

I'll be taking pic's tonight but I'll have to attach them at work tomorrow (can't find the doggon cable to connect my camera to the computer) I'll have pic's of the tail, tail wheel assembly and also the main gear (I moved them forward to stop the nose overs when landing in grass). 25+ flights and it flies great!:D Not only that (knock on wood) I've done immelman's, split S's, slow and fast rolls, and loops without making mistakes and augering into the ground. Even a couple of "hot" landings and it's still in one piece!!!!!:D

Pete

gsk11740
01-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Gary,

I'll be taking pic's tonight but I'll have to attach them at work tomorrow (can't find the doggon cable to connect my camera to the computer) I'll have pic's of the tail, tail wheel assembly and also the main gear (I moved them forward to stop the nose overs when landing in grass). 25+ flights and it flies great!:D Not only that (knock on wood) I've done immelman's, split S's, slow and fast rolls, and loops without making mistakes and augering into the ground. Even a couple of "hot" landings and it's still in one piece!!!!!:D

Pete

You can't find the cable and I don't even know where my entire camera setup is. I think it was last seen in that wreck of a garage of mine. Not good! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are having a blast with the Husky. Can't wait to get mine in the air. I do have a place to fly (or think I do) that has a fairly large paved parking lot so no grass landings but I'll be interested in seeing your landing gear setup anyway.

Taylorman
01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Gary,

Here are some pic's for you. Pardon my messy workshop and poor photography! These are pictures of the tail.

Pete

Taylorman
01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Gary,

These are pics of the relocated main gear. The wire between the gear is temporary to keep them from splaying out on landing. I'm looking for small but stiff enough springs so I can set it up kind of the way the Cub gear is set up. I didn't put the skirts on to save weight. Moving the gear forward has kept it from nosing over on landing on my grass field and did have to move things around in the fuse to maintain the correct C/G

Pete

gsk11740
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Beautiful! Thanks Taylorman! Since I probably won't be flying mine off grass, I'll probably keep the LG where it is but add the extra bracing like you did. I want to try to keep mine as scale looking as possible. I like how you did the steering for the tailwheel. I was thinking about running another control cable all the way up to the servo but that looks a lot easier. Can you get any close-ups of the attachment points for the tail braces? Just curious to see how you did it.

Taylorman
01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
You're welcome Gary, I'll take pic's tonight and upload them tomorrow. It's quite simple really, for the bottom brace, I drilled two 1/16" holes in the horizontal stabilizer bent a wire to shape and epoxied in place to the keel of the fuselage and holes in the horiz. stab.

For the Vertical Stabilizer, almost the same thing two 1/16" holes in the horizontal stab, one in the vertical stab. For this one, used fishing line tied a knot in one end and thread through one of the holes in the horizontal stab and CA'd. Ran it up through the hole in the vertical stab and while holding a little tension to keep taught (but not too much so you don't pull things out of alignment), and put a drop of thin CA into the hole. Once that dried, thread into the remaining hole in the horizontal stab, hold a little tension and CA into place again. That's all there is to it. It's held up well through 25+ flights and keeps the tail from flexing.

Pete

gsk11740
01-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I have this stuff called "Mechanic's wire" that I used to use when I was, well, a mechanic. :D It's roughly the size of fishing line, stainless steel and pretty easy to work with as well as strong. I was thinking of using that or another thought was thin carbon fiber rods. Got a ton of those laying around from the helis. I still have a ways to go before I even get to the tail but I want to have a game plan in order for when I do.

Thanks Pete! (I like "Pete" - less letters to type - I hate typing! LOL! :D )

Taylorman
01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Gary the wire should work fine. I think Huskyhumper used basswood for the under support and wire or fishing line above. I took the pic's already and I'll post them tomorrow.

Pete

Taylorman
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Gary,

Here are the pic's of the tail I promised.

Pete

gsk11740
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Pete. It's funny but I was just thinking. I've gathered so many pics of the real Huskys and keep looking at mine and pics of your's and thinking that if I mod this a little and add that and maybe some lights and find some scale Aviat Husky stickers.....

In my quest to make this look as scale as possible, I may never get this thing done! :rolleyes:

I'm having fun though! :D

Taylorman
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Gary,

Fun is what it's all about! If you have pic's of the real thing, Find someone w/photoshop and have them crop and resize your image to the size you want. You can find decal film at the LHS designed for inkjet and laser printers load the decal design onto your computer and then print on the film - Instant custom decals!!!

Pete

gsk11740
01-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Gary,

Fun is what it's all about! If you have pic's of the real thing, Find someone w/photoshop and have them crop and resize your image to the size you want. You can find decal film at the LHS designed for inkjet and laser printers load the decal design onto your computer and then print on the film - Instant custom decals!!!

Pete

No kidding? I didn't know I could do that! I have Aviat Husky logos in GIF files (using one for my avatar) and also have good editing software and a good color inkjet printer.

Thanks! :D

Taylorman
01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I can't remember who makes them. One of the guys in my club uses them though. I'm starting a Multiplex Twinstar II and am going to try to use them on that poject.

gsk11740
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Speaking of projects (and not to hijack the thread) but here is going to be my next one. Well, after I get all the other ones out of the way, that is.

http://www.adrianpage.com/supercub80.html

I think I really deserve that "Certifiably Crazy" I have under my name. :D

Taylorman
01-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Yep Once you get bitten by the bug... "Enter all hope ye who enters here!":D

gsk11740
01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Yep Once you get bitten by the bug... "Enter all hope ye who enters here!":D

Actually, I think thats "All hope abandon ye who enter here.", from Dante's Divine Comedy. Oh well, if the R/C hobby is Hell, it's a lot better than I would have imagined it! Pass the Lemonade! :D

Taylorman
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I stand corrected. I knew it was something like that. I should of mentioned I wasn't refering to Hell. Actually I was refering to the LHS!!!:D

gsk11740
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I stand corrected. I knew it was something like that. I should of mentioned I wasn't refering to Hell. Actually I was refering to the LHS!!!:D

Well, that would certainly be true of one of the LHS's around my area. I know the second I walk in the door I'm in BIG trouble! :rolleyes:

gsk11740
01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
By the way, I'm not sure but I thought that phrase was over the gate to a US Marine boot camp, wasn't it?

rea59
01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
By the way, I'm not sure but I thought that phrase was over the gate to a US Marine boot camp, wasn't it?

I've been to both of them. Trained at San Diego and visited plus used the range at Paris Island (Lived outside the gate for 10 years).

I'm almost certain it wasn't over the gate but it sure should have been.:D

I think I remember seeing it over the entrance to a training area though.

gsk11740
01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been to both of them. Trained at San Diego and visited plus used the range at Paris Island (Lived outside the gate for 10 years).

I'm almost certain it wasn't over the gate but it sure should have been.:D

I think I remember seeing it over the entrance to a training area though.

I know I saw it somewhere but I can't think of where it was. Oh well, old age strikes again.

Taylorman
01-30-2007, 12:26 AM
You know what? I'm a retired Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman w/17+ of my 26 years assigned to the Marines. I remember seeing it on a sign as well but can't remember exactly where!?!?:confused: Sure wasn over our Battalion Aid Station!:D

gsk11740
01-30-2007, 12:36 AM
This "where did I see it" thing is going to haunt me for a week!

Taylorman
01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Yep, Me too!:confused: I'm going to look in the photo album just in case I have a pic. My trouble is I've been to so many bases over my time of service that the memories are running together. If I go to visit Great Lakes Naval Training Center, I'd probably wander around lost for an hour before finding where I want to be.:)

gsk11740
02-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Anyway, back to the Husky. I just tried to stuff a 2100 lipo in mine to see if it fits. Not without a LOT of hacking! Pete, since I think I am running the same power setup you are (EFlite Park 450 outrunner and 25a ESC) what are you using for a battery and how long does your flight times last?

Taylorman
02-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Gary, I'm using a TP 3s 3120 Lipo. I've never run it all the way to the low voltage cut off I normally set my timer to 12 minutes. That way if I goof up on final approach or have to go around for some reason, I know I have the power left to do so.

gsk11740
02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Gary, I'm using a TP 3s 3120 Lipo. I've never run it all the way to the low voltage cut off I normally set my timer to 12 minutes. That way if I goof up on final approach or have to go around for some reason, I know I have the power left to do so.

I'm assuming you meant to type "1320", right? Also, what "C" rating? I was hoping to avoid buying more batteries for a while but I just couldn't see any way to get the longer 2100's in there without serious surgery.

I'm thinking about starting on the build today. By the way, I can really see now why that tail needs to be braced. I'm a little surprised they didn't design it better. Usually most kits "tab" the rudder through the elevator into the fuselage which makes things much stronger than the way this one is done. Oh well, gives me something more to do.

Taylorman
02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Gary,

The battery is a Thunder Power part# 1320-3SPL 11.1V 1320mah. Sustained discharge 13C Max Burst 22A.

I'll take a pic of my battery mounted in the plane for you. It fits half in the battery compartment and half in the cowl. The pic will show it better.

Pete

gsk11740
02-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Pete! That battery should work well for me then. I don't think I've ever had a plane in the air more than 10 minutes. My mind starts to wander away at anything much more than that. :D

I was just looking over the kit some more. I just found out I have to glue the aileron and flap hinges in with CA. Never had to do that before. This should prove entertaining, especially if they actually work afterwards. I really don't like CA. I tend to glue myself together more than what I'm working on. :rolleyes: I'm finding that, except for E-Flite, most of these "ARF's" require a lot more building than I thought they would. That's good though because I'm gaining valuable experience that I'll need later on these kits I'm getting.

Taylorman
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Gary,

I hear you about the CA. It's always best to have a bottle of "Uncure" on the workbench! It saves a lot of heartache and sorrow!

Pete

Taylorman
02-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Got bored yesterday so I went to the LHS got some materials and fabricated ski's for my Goldberg Husky!

Tried it out today on packed snow and they worked great:D but I need to add a small keel on the tail ski for better directional control. Tried them out on the lawn and unfortunately they didn't work so well on powder snow:( . I think I should have made them wider or upturned the nose a little more. Anyway, was a fun project for a snowy Saturday, and she's now a real Alaskan Bush Plane!:D

gsk11740
02-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks good Pete. I want to try flying on skis once but we haven't had the weather for it around here. I finally got my Husky all built and ready to go. I haven't had a chance to try it out though. Took my Son's HZ SuperCub out the other day and almost lost it in the wind. It felt almost calm on the ground but 100ft up was another matter. Today the wind is so strong it's rattling the siding on the house, which wouldn't be so bad if we had siding! :eek:

By the way, I have my CG set where it balances on the forward screws for the wing servos. Sound about right? I know it's not very accurate but right now it's all I have and I figure that's about the 25% mark.

Taylorman
02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Gary,

Glad to hear you got your Husky finished. Don't forget to post pic's.

As for the CG mine is set at 46mm measured from the leading edge. For the maiden, better to be a little nose heavy and adjust from there. A nose heavy plane can be adjusted. A tail heavy plane only flies once!

Pete

gsk11740
02-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Gary,

Glad to hear you got your Husky finished. Don't forget to post pic's.

As for the CG mine is set at 46mm measured from the leading edge. For the maiden, better to be a little nose heavy and adjust from there. A nose heavy plane can be adjusted. A tail heavy plane only flies once!

Pete

Here's the only pic I have so far. I checked and actually, the screws are 55mm from the front edge and with my fingers in the wing itself, right in front of the servos is 45mm. I guess I really need to break down and get one of those $20 CG gizmos from Tower. I know about the pencil and 2x4 trick but for $20, what the heck, I've spent more on worse things and it's cheaper than a new plane.

Taylorman
02-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Good Job Gary! She looks great!

gsk11740
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Good Job Gary! She looks great!

Thanks! :D

gsk11740
03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, I finally got to maiden my Husky today. I have to admit, boredom kind of drove me to it and boredom also drove common sense out of my head since it turned out to be windier than I thought. I had a real fight on my hands as soon as it got up above treetop level. Once I got used to it though, it wasn't so bad. I can't really say how well it flew compared to other Huskys mentioned in this thread because it was getting tossed around quite a bit but it seemed easier to control in the wind than I would have expected. With the EFlite 450 outrunner and 9x4.7SF prop, it had absolutely no shortage of power. I had it set on low rates which I have at 50% of recommended throws and the controls still seemed to have a lot of authority to them. I did botch the landing but the only damage was a broken prop. I landed with the wind - not sure I had a choice since the wind kept changing direction on me. One of the advantages of flying in an uncut field though is lots of nice cushy tall grass to "land" in. I can't wait for a nice calm day to really test the Husky out. :D

Gary

Taylorman
03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Gary,

Congrat's on the maiden! About the landing, happens to everyone glad the damage is minor. Let us know how it flies in calmer conditions.:)

I managed a few more flights with my home made ski's. Unfortunately we're at that point of the season up here where the snow is starting to melt. I'm at the "keep the ski's on or put the wheels on quandary.:confused: Too windy to fly last weekend, but I did manage to drive by my usual field. Still enough snow for ski's but 50% less snow than the last time I flew a week before. Won't be long before the snow's gone.

Congrat's again on the maiden!:D

Pete

gsk11740
03-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks Pete. It flew pretty much as I would expect any plane to fly in the kind of wind I had today. I never saw any of the "bad habits" others spoke of in this thread and other Husky threads I've read. Other than crosswind, it flew just fine. I really think the CG is the key more than anything else since it's really all I changed on mine. One thing I did notice is it behaves more like my Mini Ultra Stick did than anything "Cub like". With the 450, it's fast (or sure seems like it) and even on low rates, the controls can really snap it around if I get heavy on the sticks. I didn't try any loops or anything but I got the impression it's quite capable of loops, rolls and a few other tricks. How hard have you "tossed" your Husky around? I'm just wonder how strong it is and if it can withstand a little "fun" once in a while or am I asking for tearing a wing off or something. Those wing braces look more ornamental than functional. The flaps were interesting (once I remembered which switch I put them on). I got up good and high and flipped the switch. I pitched up just a bit and then slowed right down and just puttered along at what seemed like walking speed. I'm sure they would have helped landing if it didn't have the wind at it's tail. I've never had a plane with flaps before so they were fun to play with.

I keep checking the weather, looking for a good day to really play with the little beast. I like it! :D

Taylorman
03-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Gary

Yepper's it's one heck of a fun plane to fly. Mine loops from level flight, nice big round loops. I also do snap roll, slow roll, split S, and immelmans. I've done some inverted flight and quite a few high G turns without any problems. That's basically it since it's not a true aerobatic plane. I just enjoy the way it looks in the air, and I love slow and hi speed passes at about 10 feet altitude. There have been a few folks who have really Ahhh'd when I deploy the flaps and she slows to a crawl for landing. It flew just as well w/the home made ski's and really looked cool ROG, touch and goes, landing and taxiing in the snow!

Hope you have good luck and a lot of enjoyment out of yours!:)

Pete

gsk11740
03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I take back what I said. The Husky flew last Monday like I would have expected it to fly in fairly strong wind. It seemed like it was getting tossed around quite a bit. OK, fair enough. I flew it again Saturday morning. No wind! Dead calm. It still acted like it was getting tossed around. It was a real fight to control it. After I brought it back down and fortunately in one piece I might add, I checked the CG. Seemed OK. It's funny by the way, when I dropped the flaps and cut throttle to land, it settled down and floated in beautifully.

Well, I've been thinking it over, trying to figure it out. I keep coming back to the CG. Finally, I went to the LHS and got one of those "CG Machines" from Great Planes and set the Husky on it, flight ready. Big time tail heavy! The way I read it (and I rechecked many times) the CG is actually slightly farther back from Goldberg's specs! No wonder it flew so bad! It's a wonder it flew at all. So much for the finger method of balancing.

OK, first thing, since this is a flat bottom wing, I'm going by the bottom of the wing in determining "level". Am I right?

Second, I have everything moved as far forward as possible. The battery is all the way again the firewall. So is the ESC and BEC. I have the receiver as far forward and as close to the ESC as I dare. It's an AR6000 so it really doesn't weigh anything anyway. Can I add weight to the nose somehow? I put 5 quarters on the nose, right behind the prop and that leveled the bottom of the wing for a CG that's 47mm back from the wing leading edge (where Pete said to put it). Obviously I can't fly around with $1.25 in loose change hanging around up there. :D

Suggestions anyone?

Oh, one more. Someone here mentioned rudder and aileron mixing for turns. Anyone set that up? I have a DX6 but have no idea how I would do that. When I flew it, it seemed like when I banked left, I had to give it a bit of right rudder and vise versa to keep it in the turn. Sound correct?

rea59
03-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Obviously I can't fly around with $1.25 in loose change hanging around up there. :D

Suggestions anyone?

Why not?? I fly with several hundred dollars in my planes. LOL:D :D :D :D

Seriously go to your local Boy Scouts store (or even some LHS's) and buy you some lead weights for the wood derby cars. They can be screwed on or use two sided tape. Or if you don't need too much you can use modeling clay.

gsk11740
03-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Why not?? I fly with several hundred dollars in my planes. LOL:D :D :D :D

Seriously go to your local Boy Scouts store (or even some LHS's) and buy you some lead weights for the wood derby cars. They can be screwed on or use two sided tape. Or if you don't need too much you can use modeling clay.

"Why not?? I fly with several hundred dollars in my planes."
Guess I should have expected that answer. :rolleyes:

It's funny you happen to mention the BSA derby cars. Guess what I just happen to have on the shelf above my workbench? My son might not win the next Cub Scouts Derby Race, but my plane will fly better!

gsk11740
03-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey, I just looked in the Derby car box. No weights.

I feel cheated. :mad:

Off to the LHS tomorrow.

gsk11740
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Whew! Got It!

Well, after bolting a few bricks, a couple of old cinder blocks, an old spare tire and the Bar-B-Q grill to the front of the Husky, I finally got the CG right at 25%. OK, just kidding about all the junk but I was really surprised at how many lead weights I had to stick up there. I was running out of places to put them. :eek: Anyway, took it out to the field and it flew great. Even doing a roll was much cleaner (before it just kind of wobbled through the roll). It still tries to tip stall if I slow down too much. This thing is no slow flyer without the flaps! I was surprised also at how fast the little beast is at full throttle. It may even give my Mini Pulse XT at good run for top end. At least it sure looked like it. Not sure why it was so tail heavy. I did use a lot of epoxy in securing the tail but I didn't think I used that much. Oh well, it flies now. I'm happy. :)

Well, glad this one is solved. Now on to the kit projects! :D

rea59
03-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey, I just looked in the Derby car box. No weights.

I feel cheated. :mad:

Off to the LHS tomorrow.

Whew! Got It!

Well, glad this one is solved. Now on to the kit projects! :D

Yea, I should have mentioned that those weights don't come with the cars. :o All the article's I've read of people building the same Corsair I am (they all used gas weed eater motors) say they had to add 3lbs of lead to the firewall.:eek:

As a side note during the regional event with the BSA cars with over a hundred entries. Of the top three cars the dads were engineers. And we all worked together.:D

Glad the plane flew so well for ya. Now you have something to fly while building your kits.

gsk11740
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM
As a side note during the regional event with the BSA cars with over a hundred entries. Of the top three cars the dads were engineers. And we all worked together.:D

Knowing how my son functions, I know all too well who is going to end up doing 98% of the work on his derby car. I'm more used to messing with the full sized stuff though. Not sure I'm going to know what to do with a little piece of wood that I can't jam a big block Chevy into! :D

Glad the plane flew so well for ya. Now you have something to fly while building your kits.

Funny thing about this plane is it doesn't fly anything like what it looks like. It looks like a Cub (see pic). It flies like something totally different. Very fast and the controls can be super touchy, even on 50% low rates. At speed, it changes directions more like my Mini Ultra Stick did. Very quick handling. I find it hard to keep up with it. Strangely, I find my Mini Pulse XT very relaxing to fly compared to the Husky! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

rea59
03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Great looking plane!! I know I would expect the flying characteristics of a cub:confused:

gsk11740
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Great looking plane!! I know I would expect the flying characteristics of a cub:confused:

That's exactly why I bought it. Well, I got the "Great looking plane" part right anyway. :rolleyes:

huskyhumper
03-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I use 10% aileron to rudder mix in the dx 6 its A to R mix so easy to do. hey balance your husky on the main spar.

gsk11740
03-17-2007, 02:48 AM
I use 10% aileron to rudder mix in the dx 6 its A to R mix so easy to do. hey balance your husky on the main spar.

According to my tape measure, the main spar is roughly at the 2-1/4" that Goldberg says to set the CG at in the book. I thought everyone agreed that was a BAD place to have it? Also, I do have the aileron-rudder mixing. I think I set mine at 20%. Maybe a bit more - I'll have to check. Seem to work good there but I put it on a switch so I could turn off the mixing just in case.

My Husky actually flies fairly good. It just doesn't fly like a Husky or Cub or anything Cub-like that I'm used to. Moving the weight forward helped a lot. Well adding weight really since I already had everything as far forward as I could cram it. It just really hates going slow. I need to get a scale and weigh it. I have a feeling it's a bit on the heavy side which, in my understanding, would tend to explain why it likes going fast. It needs the speed to keep itself in the air.

gsk11740
03-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Another thought I just had comes from a discussion I've been in on another forum involving Cubs and how they fly. Based on what a lot of others who have flown real Cubs have said, I've come to the conclusion that anyone who starts out flying something like a HobbyZone Super Cub (like I did) and makes the mistake of thinking that's how all Cubs fly, is in for a surprise. Maybe I just need to spend a lot more stick time on the Husky getting used to it.

Taylorman
03-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Yep it sure does zip along! Glad you got yours flying well!

gsk11740
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Deleted

viking
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I've had mine for about 2 weeks and have flown it twice. I set it up a little nose heavy and it comes in like a comet. I lower the flaps and use a little body language to gide it in for great but HOT landings. I'm taking her up in the morning with bigger tires. Thanks for all the info people!

gsk11740
06-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I've had mine for about 2 weeks and have flown it twice. I set it up a little nose heavy and it comes in like a comet. I lower the flaps and use a little body language to gide it in for great but HOT landings. I'm taking her up in the morning with bigger tires. Thanks for all the info people!

Here's a little trick I borrowed from my Mini Ultra Stick. Quad or Crow flaps. Worked really well at slowing it down, but be careful. Mine would pitch up violently when those spoilerons (ailerons) went up! Use the flaps first and lose as much airspeed as you can and then hit the spoilerons. Test it out way up high first.

viking
06-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I set mine up for flaperons and flaps. if that doesn't work very well then I will try the crow feature.

FRC
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I have been designing and building for 40 years (trust me when I say
Itís not the CG as much as the wing has no wash out if youíre not familiar with this term
It refers to the wing tips at the trailing edge being twisted up about 1/8th of an inch.
If you do this your plane will turn into the gentle flyer your looking for
This can be corrected by changing the length of the back wing strut
Any more questions just ask

Sabrehawk
08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Well there's a fellow club member who has one of these for sale, and at a good price too with all electronics and BL motor included for 200 bucks.

I've always like the Husky design, and the full scale one is a favorite of bush pilots. I've read about the woes ya'all have had but can see no real reason for them in this aircraft which as best I can tell is a sound design.
The only thing I do see is that the wing could use a little dihedral as it appears to be zero as it is. A high wing plane like this needs at least a little dihedral for good lateral stability.
Even so I could give it some with a little rework. So im thinking of picking it up from him.

As for washout yes any plane can benefit from it, but it isnt absoulutely needed just good to have. As long as it doesnt have wash in, it should fly well.
And as for slowing down, well flaps arent needed for that either. Your elevator is what you slow it with, and a little finnesse is all that is needed there. Flaps are a good thing, and especially for a bush plane which can find itself landing on very short airstrips and getting down in between mountains and such. But as for a model, all you need is to learn to fly more slowly by cranking in some up elevator with out stalling the plane.

FRC
08-30-2008, 04:00 AM
I got a husky 2 weeks ago and when I was doing my preassembly inspection Wash out is what it had and not a little but a lot out of the box it had Ĺ inch on the left wing and the same on the right wing, now this is no big deal to fix but if you donít know its there as you know wash out can cause you a lot of problems. (Dihedral) its plenty stable the way it is and a fun little flyer. Handles the wind really well to.

Sabrehawk
08-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Mmmm, no it would be wash in that would cause problems making the stall start at the tip and work towards the root rather than the other way around.
Wash out is where the trailing edge is higher at the tip meaning the AoA at the tip being less than it is at the wing root. Thereby having a stall begin at the root and work it's way out across the wing to the tip. This leaves the ailerons in clean air and fully effective up until the wing fully stalls.

Wash in being the opposite, with a higher AoA at the wingtip, and the wing begins a stall there, leaving the ailerons ineffective as a stall begins.

FRC
09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I got a husky 2 weeks ago and when I was doing my preassembly inspection Wash INis what it had and not a little but a lot out of the box it had Ĺ inch on the left wing and the same on the right wing, now this is no big deal to fix but if you donít know its there as you know wash out can cause you a lot of problems. (Dihedral) its plenty stable the way it is and a fun little flyer. Handles the wind really well to.
Correction
the tips were down not up I guess I should stop sniffing glue befor posting somthing