PDA

View Full Version : Miss Hanger One Hydroplane Flyer

Pages : [1] 2 3

harrymc
08-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Red Jensen produced these kits but has stopped responding to all emails and phone calls and apparently has left a number of customers who have paid for the products without delivery.
I feel it's very important to remove ordering info from the start of the thread in order to protect modelers from losing money.

Most everyone has heard by now of the flying hydrofoams. This thread is for Hangar One Hobbies "Miss Hangar One". Red Jensen produces these kits. I bought two of them and am currently flying one and building the other. So far I've had a ball with it! Being able to taxi and fly off of water, grass or asphalt is fun. And watching peoples reactions to a boat skipping across the water and then lifting off and climbing straight up while rolling is something you guys have to exprience for yourselves!
There are other great threads in "other" places but this being a new forum, I thought I'd share for those who haven't seen the others.

I'd like to make this clear. . .
I do not own or sell the Miss Hangar One Kits.
I'm just a modeler that really enjoys building and flying them!

I have just one request for all who post here:
Please, let's keep it positive, be helpful and kind to each other.
Please, no whinning, complaining or negative comments about
order times and such. There is a place for that but not here. Thanks!

I know some questions will come so here's some answers:

Who makes the kits:
Red Jensen produced these kits but has stopped responding to all emails and phone calls and apparently has left a number of customers who have paid for the products without delivery.
I feel it's very important to remove ordering info from the start of the thread in order to protect modelers from losing money.

How much:

Price is $59.99 + $7 shipping Prioity mail ConUS.

How can I get one:

Order one at:

What's included:

Kits are all white Depron mostly 3mm with some 6mm in key areas.

All laser cut hull parts
All laser cut cockpit parts
Laser cut 1/8" lite ply motor mount
Laser cut 1/16 " aircraft ply control horns
(2) .125 carbon tube fore and aft spars
(5) .060 carbon pushrods and stiffners
(4) Dubro micro e-z connectors
(8) Dubro micro e-z links
.032 wire for pushrod ends
flat carbon strip for skids
1/32" ply sponson reinforments
manual

29" long
18 1/2" wide
Approximate flying weight 10-12 oz.

Recommended equipment:

LittleScreamer "Purple" Motor
CC 10 esc
TP 900 3s
3 HS 55's
6 channel Rx

If you'd like to see video of this "boat" flying click on the link below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=8818&cat=500

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I have a Himax 2812-850 outrunner laying around. Will put out 98watts of thrust on an 11.1V 1300mah pack w/ a 8x5 prop. Will this powerplant work with this hydrofoam?

MrMike
08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
harrymc wrote ...
This thread is for Hangar One Hobbies "Miss Hangar One". Red Jensen produces these kits.
<<<

Not a bad plug for a great hydro foamie ... yup, got the video!

You must've been one of the lucky ones in the door first if your build resulted from one of Red's kits. Here's a data point: I ordered my kit via PayPal back on 06/22/2005 and I'm still waiting. A phone call over 2 weeks ago to Red revealed "over 500 kit orders" have been received. Unfortunately I am still unable to learn when my kit will be shipped or, for that matter, how many of the 500+ kits ordered have actually been shipped ... Guess I'll have to remain patient for a while longer.

It would be interesting to hear the experience of others.

Cheers.

Mike

harrymc
08-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Nitro, I'm not sure if that motor will work. To be honest with you, I'm one of those guys who uses what everyone else says works well, and the original thread on rcgroups had most guys using the purple littlescreamer motor so that's what I ordered and mounted on my boat. Email Red and ask him if he thinks that motor will work, and if you're really interested go ahead and place your order now.

Mike, I've talked to Red several times by phone and yes, it took my order a few weeks longer than Red first told me, but I know he's doing all he can to get them out the door. He really is a nice guy and the kit is great and Miss Hanger One is a ball to fly! Call him again tomorrow and ask about a current status on your order. I do hope you ordered 2 or more. My first one turned out heavier than I wanted (too much paint) and I've learned a great deal from building and flying the first one that will make the second one much better.

I flew Miss Bubba again today. First at a local lake and then on to our club airfield. This thing just loves to hover! Just had a ball!!! You'd think I was driving an ice cream truck the way kids and their Dads come running to me every time I fly Miss Bubba!!! :p

Harry

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-08-2005, 01:41 PM
harry - I'm actually purchasing a different version of the kit at my LHS. But it is basically the same - on a side note, I miscalculated the watts of the motor - it produces 120watts.

harrymc
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Nitro, What's the amp draw? What size battery? And what ESC are you using?

Harry

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Harry - setup I have available is as follows:

Himax 2812-850 Outrunner
GWS 11.1V 1300mah 3S1P Lipo 8C
E-Flite 20A ESC

Total Amps on an 8x6 prop is about 10A.

steph280
08-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I didn't see Red's kit when I was searching, so I bought a variation called Miss Mayflower instead. Haven't started building it yet, but from the spec it looks to be a bigger version of the hydrofoam. The larger size helps since it gets breezy here in the afternoons when I fly.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Anyone know of plans or instructions that are available on the web?

tulsa3d.com
08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
There are several rc flying videos on the website.www.tulsa3d.com (http://www.tulsa3d.com/)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Found some plans - got them downloaded via pdf and all taped together in full size. In the process of cutting out the templates for the foam pieces right now. Will be picking up the depron later this week.

Noin
08-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Where did you find the plans you downloaded? I would love a set.

MrMike
08-09-2005, 04:01 AM
<snip> ...I've talked to Red several times by phone and yes, it took my order a few weeks longer than Red first told me, but I know he's doing all he can to get them out the door. He really is a nice guy and the kit is great and Miss Hanger One is a ball to fly! Call him again tomorrow and ask about a current status on your order. I do hope you ordered 2 or more. My first one turned out heavier than I wanted (too much paint) and I've learned a great deal from building and flying the first one that will make the second one much better.

Yup, Red's a pleasant guy to talk to. When talking to him a couple of weeks ago, he gave me the impression it was too hard (?) to determine where I stand in the pecking order. I didn't have the presence of mind to order a couple of the kits; I'll be happy to just get the one I ordered. (not terribly worried) I'm a reforming K1-burner looking for some actual fun and I don't know squat about putting this Depron material together, let alone the e-power stuff but I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike

harrymc
08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Red is backed up pretty good with orders. Wait time is about is about 4 weeks I believe at this point. For me it was worth the wait! :D

Harry

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Noin - Email me at aclemons23@aol.com and I will forward them to you.

incomming
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
i sent you an email requesting same
thanks
Shaggy

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 08:13 PM
incomming - You have mail.

I sent 3 photos of the completed boat for reference as well.

The zip is three PDF files.

The first one is a simple breakdown of the parts list
The second is a tiled plan, numbering the pages in order, print this out on one page.
The third is each individual page, print these out then assembly according to the second PDF.

ROT8
08-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Reformed;

I sent you an e-mail!

Tx

ROT8
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Received, Tx!

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-10-2005, 07:50 PM
No problem - for future reference though, and per the posters request - If you have any questions about the hydro foam that I am building and that I sent you, let's start a new thread - rather than mucking up this one specifically designed for the Miss Hanger One.

I will be starting a new thread on the version I am working on once I get the foam this weekend.

Mike Parsons
08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Harry!! Good to see you here. :) your Hydro looks awesome!

-Mike

harrymc
08-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Mike!!! Thanks man!
This thing is a ball to fly/float! I flew several times today on Lake Martin in Alexander City, AL. I wish I'd had the video camera with me, I had some great flights. Hovering this thing inchs off the water and watching the water spray everywhere is a trip! You need to get you one!

Harry

harrymc
08-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Here's a video of Miss Bubba flying on 8/8/05. Nothing special, but it's flying!!!
Here's the link:
http://3dcrazy.com/MissBubba.wmv (http://3dcrazy.com/MissBubba.wmv)

Harry

vicman
08-12-2005, 04:45 AM
OK, that does it! When I get back from holiday I gotta start one. Can you give me some guidance for power? I have the tiled plans printed out, Just need help on thrust.

Noin
08-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Reformed Nitro addict - I have not received the plans via email yet. I will try to send you another email.

Mike Parsons
08-12-2005, 08:09 PM
To keep this thread about the Miss Hanger kit. I have started a new thread regarding the free planes. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3105#post3105

Thanks everyone,
Mike

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Mike.

harrymc
08-13-2005, 05:06 AM
Here is Red's video of Miss Hangar One on the water:

http://3dcrazy.com/MissHangerOne_Wet.wmv (http://3dcrazy.com/MissHangerOne_Wet.wmv)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Came across a deal I couldn't pass up - and in additon to the kit I was originally going to build - I got the Hanger One kit. This one is alot larger.

About 80% done with the build - and have a stupid question - How do you install an outrunner on the included mount? My outrunner - a Hacker - has the mounting bracket that mounts in front of the spinning outrunner portion. How do you mount that to the flat plate included?

harrymc
08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Not a stupid question Nitro. I hope this picture helps:

harrymc
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Also Nitro, you've got to drill a small hole in the center of the wooden motor mount. When you setup the Hacker using the parts above, you'll have the spinning shaft facing backwards towards the wooden mount. Drilling a hole in the wooden mount allows the shaft to spin inside the hole you drilled. The "wheel collar" included should be slid on the shaft and tightened up against the motor. This helps hold the shaft back against pulling forces.

Harry

harrymc
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
This is an AXI motor but the mounting pieces are about the same.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Harry - Thanks - I was trying to mount it backwards.

Got it installed now, drilled out a hole like you mentioned.

Hope to have it done by tomorrow.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Alright everyone - I got the Hydrofoam done!!! Couple of questions though - First, does anyone know the COG for the first flights - dont want it too 3D capable yet. And second - It turns pretty good on land, but I can't get it to turn at all in the water. Put it in the pool, and from one end to the other, I can get it to turn mabye 6 inches off course.

Any ideas?

Noin
08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
I would think that pushing down elevator would help turn it on the water as this would lift the back end and allow it to swing around. Of course this is pure speculation as I have not built mine yet...lol.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
interesting idea - I might give that a go - didn't want to drop a sponson though and dork her into the water.

harrymc
08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Nitro,
My CG is about 1 1/4" behind the forward spar and I haven't changed it. To get MHO to turn better on the water, I tried adding a water rudder on the bottom, but not much luck. I found out that adding a little down elevator is what you need. With a little pactice you can steer it around pretty good this way. When ya going airborne?

Harry

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Just attempted this in the pool and it worked. Still cannot get enough speed in the small pool to maneuver well - but it was a huge difference. Will try it out this evening or tomorrow morning in a larger area - will attempt airborne flight within the next few days.

Will try to post a pic shortly.

Noin
08-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Try giving high bursts immediately after you put in rudder input. The quick burst should almost turn it in the length of the boat/plane itself. The more down elevator and the more power the quicker the turn.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Noin - Thanks for the tips. The down elevator worked great in the pool by the way.

I don't have any 3D experience but can fly a pattern plane quite well through typical aerobatics - so some of the maneuvers worry me a bit with this kit.

I am planning on taking her out to the flying field in the next day or so, and getting some high speed passes on the ground in, and probably doing some bunny hops. If I feel comfortable, I will probably taker her up and do some basic flight patterns then bring her back down.

I'm also a bit worried I may be drawing too many amps for my batts. They are only rated to 10.2V and I think this motor will draw close to 12 at WOT. It is the Hacker A20-M26 spinning an APC SF 8x6 prop.

ROT8
08-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I just started building my Hydro Boat/Plane...:D

The plan is incredibly accurate...

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Here is a photo oh mine - came out perfectly balanced and flies great!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/boat.jpg

harrymc
08-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Nitro,
What was your rtf weight?
What motor, prop, ESC, and battery did you use?

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Hacker A20-26M motor, Eflite 20amp ESC, APC 8x6 SF prop, 1300mah 3S lipo.

Not sure of AUW - but she will accelerate straight up out of my hand.

supaflyryan
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Miss Hangar One kits are now available for online ordering at Red's website:

http://www.redshangarone.com

Thanks!

mountaindr3wz
08-27-2005, 02:49 AM
do u think i can use money orders in buying a kit from redshangerone?

harrymc
08-27-2005, 03:20 AM
do u think i can use money orders in buying a kit from redshangerone?

Don't know for sure, call Red and ask him.
There is a backlog for orders anyway. I'd think if you send him the moneyorder he'll put you in line for a kit with no problem.

Harry

ROT8
08-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Here is my Miss Hangar One .... in Thunder Power Color Scheme!

Note my Custom Motor Mount!

harrymc
08-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Good looking hydroplane ROT8, even if it isn't a Miss Hangar One.
Let us know how she fly's.

Harry

Fokker
08-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Is this the model that saw on the internet, it is electric looks like a boat, runs like a boat, but it also flys? If it is How do I get one??? I really am interested.
Thanks Fokker

Mike Parsons
08-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Hey Fokker, the first post in this thread has all the information you seek :)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1436&postcount=1

g10
08-31-2005, 05:41 AM
I found this great thread on the MHO:D

http://www.rc-groups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398250 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398250)

harrymc
08-31-2005, 06:04 AM
I found this great thread on the MHO:D

http://www.rc-groups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398250 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398250)

Fix your link c/f :rolleyes:

harrymc
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Got a couple of flights in yesterday at our club field (after cleaning up the hurricane mess!).
I gain confidence with each flight of Miss Bubba. It flies different from just about anything I've flown, but I'm learning with each flight. I can only hope those of you building and flying Miss Hangar One will have as much fun with it as I have!

Jim 15256
08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Just lurking Harry. :)

harrymc
08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Well lurk away Jim! :p
And in the meantime, why don't you join us?
I promise you'll have a ball with it!

Harry

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Glad to see you faired Katrina Ok Harry.

I am just about finished with my MHO. She recieved paint last night and I installed the motor, ESC and RX. Just need to hook up the three servo's and link them to the control surfaces and she's ready. Ill post some pictures tonight. I slightly mimicked Red's scheme as my creative energy is lacking these days :)

harrymc
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing your MHO and hearing how the build went, and finally your thoughts on flying your MHO.

Harry

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
I will be able to comment on the build tonight or tomorrow as I have some thoughts, and the flight report will follow shortly after our Fly-in Sunday.

My setup may be a bit heavier than the MOFO in that I am using a 20a ESC, Torque 30T outrunner and a 3S 830 and 900. I dont have an auw yet, but will gather that tonight. I did run up the motor last night and it has more than enough thrust with the 10x3.8. I might have to step down to a 9x4.7 due to concerns about ground clearance.

-Mike

harrymc
08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah Mike, as long as you're on grass that prop may work, but once you hit water even the 9x4.7 might be buzzing the water. One way to find out though. Your power should be awesome!

Harry

g10
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
OOPS, added a - inbetween two words, cant figure out how to edit it so copy to browser then remove..........

Very interesting prop info Harry,:cool: So what kind of motors and amperage range would you suggest with props smaller than 9"????

Mike hows this figure in to the best Torque lineup?

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Harry,
I'll probably try it with the 10" first and then drop to a 9" if necessary. Doesnt the purple MOFO run an 8"?

G10,

I repaired the links for you.
Mike hows this figure in to the best Torque lineup?
Not sure I understand the question? Or is it a play on words? :)

harrymc
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Mike, yes the recommended prop for the purple MOFO on the MHO is an GWS 8x4DD. I first tried an E-Flite 370 outrunner with an APC 9x3.8 but the prop was really buzzing the water (may have been because my MHO is heavy (15 oz's). Once I switched out the motor to the LittleScreamer with an 8x4 the water buzzing went away (the motor is much lighter to).

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Im going to try it with the 30T. If I am not satisfied, I will probably call Red or LS and and order a MOFO. Ill try and get an AUW tonight :)

ForestCam
08-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah Mike, as long as you're on grass that prop may work, but once you hit water even the 9x4.7 might be buzzing the water. One way to find out though. Your power should be awesome!

Harry
Bathtub?:D

bvincent
08-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi Harry!! :D
Thanks for the link and the invite! Heres some shots of my MH1 the Miss Team Scream I. I am currently working on MTSII. This has been by far one of the most fun projects I have been involved in. This thing does everything! Even knife edges! and like Harry said, there is no way to put into words the looks on peoples face when doing a high speed run at the shore, then just before disaster, pulling back and going vertical doing aileron rolls for 100' or better. Usually dead silence for about 10 seconds, then "I got to have one of those" :D

If and when you get one ;) just remember to keep it as lite as possible! You can do much more when lighter. Plus if you run it a bunch like I do on the grass, you won't develop stress cracks. About the only thing it won't do is blow over like the real ones! :eek:

harrymc
08-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Welcome aboard Bob!!!
WOW, now we've got 2 electric motor heavyweights on the thread!
Both are outstanding pilots as well! (don't go gettin' the big head guys! :p )
I appreciate you guys, and the help you've given me and others.
I look forward to what you guys can bring to the thread! :)

Harry

bvincent
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Heres some shots of her maiden while I was up visiting Red

g10
08-31-2005, 10:18 PM
MIKE,

I thought you were reffering to the Extreme FLight lineup of motors called TORQUE.

Don't know much about their lineup and wondered what version was best suited for a prop less than 9"?

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 12:36 AM
MIKE,

I thought you were reffering to the Extreme FLight lineup of motors called TORQUE.

Don't know much about their lineup and wondered what version was best suited for a prop less than 9"?
Sorry, it was my confusion. I am running the Extremeflight Torque 30. The 34T will swing an 8" prop on 3S. However it is aimed more for the shocky weight. I fly a couple of them on my Shockflyer's at 7 oz and they are ballistic on a 9x3.8 and 2S 730. The Torque line is excellent (I have five of them) and they have their applications, but turning an 8" prop on 3S is not really their bag.

How many Watts is the Purple Mofo putting out?

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Here is a picture of my MHO. I am in the process of installing the three servo's and then will be complete. Hopefully I will have an AUW with pack tonight as well.

harrymc
09-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Lookin' Good Mike!
She's not far from flight now!

bvincent
09-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Great job on that Hydro! What motor and prop is that?

bvincent
09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
That looks just like Red's!!

The Purple MOFO puts out 128 watts on 11amps with 3 cells and an 8x4 HD.

Keep your antenna under clear tape! If you look at mine you will see the antenna is always under clear tape. For some reason when it gets wet, your range goes in the toilet! If the tape gets wet, it doesn't matter and your range is fine.

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Bob,
That is a 9X4.7 APC on a Extremeflightrc Torque 30T outrunner. I lacked creative energy and based mine on Reds but his has the checkerboard going all the way to the back. I planned on taping the antenna down with blenderm. The fortunate/unfortunate thing is that I have no body of water at the field and the park has outlawed RC, so it will go to the lake with me next time :)

bvincent
09-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Please let us know how that power set up works out. Dr.Kiwi tells me that it is very close spec wise to the Purple peril (MOFO) just heavier. I can spin the heck out of a 9x5 HD on 2 cells, but with 3 cells it won't spin much more that a 8x4 HD without complaining. I am running on mine a MOFO (of course) and an 8x4 or 7x3.5HD with 2 HS-56's and one HS-50, also a Berg micro 4, CC-10 and a TP pro-lite 1320ma 3s. It really rocks!! More fun than I have had in years with RC. I'd rather play with my $50 boat than my $5000 Turbine powered A-4 skyhawk. Go figure?!

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the Invite Harrymc:)
I to have noticed that if your antenna gets wet your ranges goes to crap. I have not tried puting mine under tape but I have run mine in a tube like a rc car and that seems to work fine. I wonder how well this would work?http://slofly.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=32_122&products_id=341

Ernest

harrymc
09-01-2005, 04:13 AM
Welcome aboard Ernest!!! :D
Thanks so much for stopping in! This thread is just starting to gather steam!
For those of you that don't know. Ernest and Mike Connally started all this Hydo-Foam hysteria! Michael created Miss Fanfold and Ernest created Miss Hydro-Foam (correct me if I'm wrong Ernest) in early summer and the rest is history! Just about everyone on the planet has now seen the famous Hydro-Foam video on water, chasing a car, sliding around on grass. . . yep, that was Mike and Ernest!!! Between Mike and Ernest they have come up with some wild stuff! I believe the Hydro-Foam is your best work Ernest, many, many thanks for a wild idea!
I took a look at that antenna on slofly.com and I think I'm going to order a couple and try them. I should be able to mount it on the inside of the upper fuse. What do you think? Also, on another thread you mentioned building in lights. What value resistor did you use and how'd you wire it to the rx?

Harry

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 04:33 AM
A 100 ohm resistor works well with 6 lights wired parallel but you will need an extra one in front of a red or yellow LED as they are a lower voltage. I got those from slofly to. The LED's that is.

Ernest

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Oh . and that's with them plugged them into the RX so you don't get voltage drop.

g10
09-01-2005, 04:47 AM
This should be interesting to watch over the next week.......

Item#5996837676

mountaindr3wz
09-01-2005, 04:54 AM
wow c/f is selling that hydro i wonder what is the reserve set at?

harrymc
09-01-2005, 04:55 AM
This should be interesting to watch over the next week.......

Item#5996837676

I noticed you didn't have the flying weight listed C/F, er g10 :rolleyes:

harrymc
09-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Oh . and that's with them plugged them into the RX so you don't get voltage drop.

Thanks Ernest, I've ordered the antenna, and lights. I'm at the point where I'm ready to close in the sponsons but I'll wait on the light's now! :D

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 05:05 AM
I'll trade him one of mine for it.............not!!:p

Ernest

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks Ernest, I've ordered the antenna, and lights. I'm at the point where I'm ready to close in the sponsons but I'll wait on the light now! :D Did you get the defused one's?

harrymc
09-01-2005, 05:16 AM
I'll trade him one of mine for it.............not!!:p

Ernest

LOL!!!

Yes, Ernest I did except for the green ones. They were out so I ordered regular green ones. Can I sand them for the defused look?

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 05:35 AM
AUW is in at 12.5 oz. I am getting 126 watts with a 1/2 charged pack. That should improve a hair right off the charger. It taxi's just fine around the basement :). I do need to dial down the throws a bit as the Rudders are hitting the elevons at full deflection. Now I just have to wait until Sunday to maiden:o

UAVPilot
09-01-2005, 05:37 AM
LOL!!!

Yes, Ernest I did except for the green ones. They were out so I ordered regular green ones. Can I sand then for the defused look?
Yeah ,that works .Just check your mA draw with a amp meter or watt meter to make sure it's not much over 20mA per LED . If it is just add another 50 or 100 ohm resistor to the whole bunch.
Ernest

harrymc
09-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Thanks Ernest! :D

Mike, You're still 2 1/2 oz's lighter than me.
Is your basement flooded or dry??? LOL!!! :p
How'd your cg come out?

dogz
09-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey guys just poppin' in.almost ready to start my MHO (almost done with a prior build)and soaking up more info ya gotta love it!! :)

harrymc
09-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey Dogz!!!
Welcome aboard man!
We've got several guys here that are really experts in electric aircraft. Feel free to visit and ask questions and post your build pictures. I'm really glad you're here! :D

Harry

bvincent
09-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Who let the Dogz out !!!!! :D

dogz
09-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Thanks Harry looking forward to it.and bvincent your so darn funny :D :D

dogz
09-02-2005, 03:15 AM
O.K. when putting this thing together do you guys run CA all the way down a seem or just tack it with Ca then run a bead of gorilla glue?

Mike Parsons
09-02-2005, 03:23 AM
O.K. when putting this thing together do you guys run CA all the way down a seem or just tack it with Ca then run a bead of gorilla glue?
You got it :)

Harry,
You had asked about my CG. I just tested with the Apogee 830 pack and I am right at 1/2" behind the CF spar. I have about 2 inches I can move it forward and an inch or inch and a half that I can move it back. Lots of room in there :)

harrymc
09-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Guys, I'm not satisfied with the way my battery is mounted on Miss Bubba. I'm working on MHO #2 now. Using velcro made it difficult to remove. I made a foam cradle for my TP900's but that restricts me to that battery. How do you secure your battery? Pictures might help.

bvincent
09-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Hey dogz,
I only tack it, no kicker! Then GG. Don't forget to moisten the parts being joined to insure a good glue joint that WILL be water tight!

Hi Mike,
A quick flying tip, move battery as far to the right as you can. This will help your trim and counteract the torque from the prop. Remember the MH1 has no real wingspan to use up that torque. Any aircraft that needs one control surface much more than zero trim, has excessive drag and will suffer flight qualitie in other areas :D

Mike Parsons
09-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Here are a couple of my hatch. I used the Servo arm as a latch (like most). I doubled up the foam on the inside and glued a 4-40 blind nut on the inside. The 4-40 nylon bolt goes through the servo arm and secures into the blindnut.
The battery simply rests on velcro. However, on my battery side I do not put a whole piece of velcro and use only multiple small strips. This makes it much easier to remove the pack.

A quick flying tip, move battery as far to the right as you can
Will do, thanks.

harrymc
09-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks Mike, that was quick!
Is it much of a struggle to remove the battery from there?

How are you doing it Bob?

harrymc
09-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Here's some pictures of finished Miss Hangar One's. Looking great guys!!!

harrymc
09-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Some more great boats. . .

UAVPilot
09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
A 100 ohm resistor works well with 6 lights wired parallel but you will need an extra one in front of a red or yellow LED as they are a lower voltage. I got those from slofly to. The LED's that is.

Ernest
Opps :o
Sorry Harry . I miss read my resistors, There 10 ohm not 100 :o

Ernest

harrymc
09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the correction Ernest, I hadn't gotten them yet, so no harm done!
Where did you position the lights again?

Harry

dogz
09-03-2005, 02:14 PM
harrymc, I just ordered my coolrunnings a-12 and was wondering if it is difficult to program and what setting are you using ? Also where did your little dancing guy go he was cool!! :cool:

UAVPilot
09-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Thought you guys would like to see my red night flyer:D

Ernest

harrymc
09-05-2005, 04:39 AM
That's WILD Ernest!!!
Is that flat foam or molded???
Bulkheads installed that separate the colors?

UAVPilot
09-05-2005, 05:13 AM
These are flat 2mm foam but I put in creases in the top sponson to add strength and scale looks, and the front of the cabin is formed with the help of a little hot water and some thumb action. The top scope is carved out of half inch ,stacked up hand carved foam .

Yes there are internal bulkheads in front and rear. My first one had all different colors and lite up each section seperatly but it looked like a flying christmass tree and I didn't like it so I made one all red ,one all blue and one all green. Night racing !, Woo Hoo:D

upperking
09-05-2005, 03:02 PM
deleted

harrymc
09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Ernest,
I'd like to see some nighttime video of your lit-up hydro-foams.
Any chance? :D

Harry

upperking
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
deleted

harrymc
09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Mike Parsons,
We're sittin' on the edge of our seats waitin' on your flight report. . . :p
How'd it go?

Harry

Mike Parsons
09-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Well....I was going to wait to see how the video came out..but...It went great :D.
I started off by taxing around the field. It turned to the left much easier than to the right. Taking Bob's advice, moving the battery to the right helped a lot. It really scoots along well. I actually had as much fun running it on the ground as I did in the air :). At full throttle and just a hair of up, it lifted off very smoothly. I did notice right away that rudder needed to be coordinated in turns, but they went very smooth. I hope it comes out on video, but I was doing rolling circles with it. Hilarious! It harriers really well, but I think mine was a hair noseheavy as I couldnt get it to hover real well. This thing is an absolute blast! :)

harrymc
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Got new video to share with you guys!
It comes from j_z_123 (Jon)
He is an outstanding young pilot!!!
In this video you'll see him performing inverted harriers, elevators, rolling circles and more. . .
yes, rolling circles! :eek:

http://3dcrazy.com/Jons_MHO.wmv

George Navarro
09-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm the process of building a hyro from plans I got off this site. I have one problem, it doesn't tell you how high or how far forward to mount the motor. Does any one have the info?
Thanks
George

nova801428
09-08-2005, 11:48 PM
isn't that just eqaul to a plane+floats.

George Navarro
09-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. First I had the motor to low and the prop would sometimes hit the water. I am now raising it to about 3" above the deck. From the pictures it looks like the motor is about 2" out from the main deck. I guess as long as the cg is good it should work.

nova801428
09-09-2005, 12:58 AM
plane+floats=car+wheels im talking about the boat that "FLIES"

Mike Parsons
09-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. First I had the motor to low and the prop would sometimes hit the water. I am now raising it to about 3" above the deck. From the pictures it looks like the motor is about 2" out from the main deck. I guess as long as the cg is good it should work.
George,
What motor and prop? I fly with a 9" and have about a half inch of clearance. I am sure I would get a prop strike in the water. I would say as long as your control surfaces are in the prop wash it doesnt matter how high you mount it.

-Mike

George Navarro
09-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I think I'll set it up a little higher so I can run it in the water also. I'm using an AXI with a 9/4 prop. This should be plenty of power.
George http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mike Parsons
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Another pilot took some photos of the maiden last Sunday. Thought I would share :)

harrymc
09-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Pictures look great Mike! :D
Any ideas when you might hit the water with it?

Harry

Mike Parsons
09-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Have to find a place first. The parks around here banned RC planes, boats etc. If I have some time that I can sneak away for a while, Ill head to Lake Lanier and try it there. I need to float it in a tub first to see if I have any leaks.

-Mike

harrymc
09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Head over to Lake Tuscaloosa, they love flying boats! :p

On the subject of checking for leaks, I finally cut a small hole (about 1/4 inch round) on the top rear of the sponsons. After every flight on water I turn the boat up and look for any water coming out of the holes.
I floated mine in the tub to check for leaks to start with and then flew several flights on mine and then noticed one side sitting lower in the water than the other. I cut a slot for the water to drain and then looked for the leak and sealed it. Happened once more and then I decided to cut the rounds holes and check each flight. Works for me! :)

Mike Parsons
09-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe Ill just pick up a can of "Fix-a-flat" if I find a leak :p

TopFoam
09-11-2005, 12:35 AM
I wonder if spray-in insulation foam would work for you guys. Home Depot sells it, and it seems fairly light. It expands, so you would have to be carful how much you put in.

Mike Parsons
09-11-2005, 01:28 AM
I had thought about the same thing TopFoam. My fear was A: putting too much in and it basically breaking the spontoons apart, B: adding weight as even grams count and C: not really getting it in there enough and still haveing air gaps that water can get into.
Hindsight factor: I wish I had thought about mixing some epoxy and coating the seams prior to painting. I read that tip on RCU about how a pilot sealed thier floats they used on their water plane.

bvincent
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
You know Mike I had thought about that too, but the weight penalties helped me see the way :D I used Gorilla Glue on all the bottom seam joints and still have no water leaks. The worst place for leaks I have seen on other boats is on the bottom 3mm sponson foam. It tends to flex and crack there if you use CA glue. It gets brittle and small leaks appear.

Did you get a video as well as pics??

Mike Parsons
09-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately no video. My camera operator forgot that there was an on button :rolleyes:. I didnt have a chance to fly this weekend, but should get time next weekend.
:)
-Mike

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 02:00 AM
I just got my hydro completed. I'm using an Axi 2208/34 with a 2 cell Lipo and 8/4 prop. I put it in my pool just to see what it would do. It zips around pretty good for the room I have. I tried it on my lawn and it just sits there. Some of the vids I've seen shows it really moves on the lawn. Not sure if I have the right set up or maybe the wrong prop. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
George

bvincent
09-14-2005, 02:18 AM
You have most of it right :D That motor, while it is a fine one, ain't the for this job! It will probably barely fly. You need a Littlescreamer Purple motor (MOFO) or something that will give you 20oz's thrust on 3 cells under 30grams. If you have seen my video on harrymc's page, it is a MOFO as is Harry's and Red's. Mine is on a 7x3.5 prop to keep amps down and Harry's and Red's were using 8x4HD's. YThe yellow boat also on my video, is also a MOFO with a 7x3.5.

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the help!
george

harrymc
09-14-2005, 03:13 AM
George,
Here are the videos that bvincent was talking about:

http://3dcrazy.com/MHO_Grass.wmv
http://3dcrazy.com/MHO_Wet.wmv

Other motors will work but the Littlescreamer Purple motor (MOFO) will REALLY make Miss Hangar One come alive!!!

Harry

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Great vids. That's the way I want my hydro to act. I just now ordered a Little Screemer.
I'll let you know how it works for me.
Thanks again.
George

harrymc
09-14-2005, 03:50 AM
George,
Make sure it's a Purple MOFO. A regular LittleScreamer just lacks the punch we need for the Miss Hangar One!

Harry

Noin
09-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Where do you get these motors?

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Oh, no I hope I didn't order the wrong one . It's from Areo Micro and it's called Little Screamer "de Novo. Is this the correct one?

harrymc
09-14-2005, 04:35 AM
Noin,
You can call Red @ Hangar One Hobbies (707) 585-3170, he is about to get a shipment of these motors in, or you can call Scott @ LittleScreamer Motors (425) 971-9121 between the hours of 7am to 6pm PST (west coast time).
Tell'em Harry sent ya!!! :D

Harry

harrymc
09-14-2005, 04:37 AM
George,
I'm sorry but I think you did order the wrong one.
Harry

dogz
09-14-2005, 04:42 AM
george navarro, sorry man "de Novo" is the wrong one you need the "PURPLE PERIL" aka" purple mofo.Call them up and see if they have it I think they are the same price if not real close!!:D

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 04:49 AM
I canceled my order already. I did find the correct one. Thanks for the help. I'm still learning.
George

harrymc
09-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the info dogz! I thought the de Novo was the "regular" one.

harrymc
09-14-2005, 04:51 AM
We're all learning together George, that's what these forums are for. Have you got your kit yet?

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Yes, my hydro is about 90% complete. I found the plans on this website and built it from 3mm and 6mm depron. I tried to make it as light as I could. I used the 6mm in areas that I thought would need a little thickness. I'm just waiting for my motor and I ordered a servo mixer. My radio doesn't have a built in mixer. I'll see if I can take some pictures tomarrow.
Thanks guys.
George :D

bvincent
09-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi George,
Sorry guy it was my wife's birthday and I was er' busy :D Where on this forum did you find plans for Red's kit? He has not released them yet, so I need to know what you are building to be sure you got the right motor coming. Can you show some pics? give dimensions?

Aeromicro should have some MOFO's in stock. If not, they got more coming!

bvincent
09-14-2005, 06:27 AM
So everyone understands, the MOFO is better suited to this boat/plane than the DeNovo. With the DeNovo, I can spin a 9x5 all day and night and never get the motor much more than warm. The MOFO will spin the 8x4 so hard that 2 o-rings won't hold it down at full throttle static and it will begin to vibrate the prop tips. It's kind of the difference between a really good pick up truck and a NASCAR. You could drive that F-350 across country loaded with gear, AC on, and listening to your CD selection. The MOFO, would be all you could do to make it across Ca. without needing a kidney belt, earplugs and at least 3 pitt stops, But you would sure get there fast :D

Smooth and reliable or YEE-HAA!
Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't....................

harrymc
09-14-2005, 06:34 AM
And I'm all about the YEE-HAA!!!!!! :D :D :D
Thanks Bob!

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 07:04 AM
I found the plans on hydrofoam.de. Looks like the same hydro.
George

bvincent
09-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Can you show a pic of yours? or give me a link to that site?

Thanks!
Bob

Glacier Girl
09-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I just got an e-mail from Red, apparently his cutter has broken down, has to wait for parts, and he will be unavailble later this week. Said to call if you need to try and reach him.

Mike Parsons
09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I am dying to get some more flight time on my MHO. I hope the weather holds out this weekend as I am going to try and get out.

I have been meaning to post my thoughts on the build of the MHO for a couple of weeks now and have been pulled in other directions.
The only area that I felt could use some improvment on is the instruction manual. I like to think that I am somewhat of a knowledgeable person, but the instructions left me scratching my head a few times. This I felt slowed the build process more than it should have. It could be just the nature of the beast in that this isn't a conventional airplane kit. I would have liked to have seen corosponding #'s on the part sheets to the instructions. Using S2 in the text and being able to locate S2 on the plan sheet would have been more effecient. The larger peices werent an issue, but when it came to the sponson peices, and top hatch, it would have been helpful. Maybe incremental step photo's of each process would have helped as well.

This is only helpful on the first build. If I were to build another, I could do it without so much as looking at the instructions.

On surface deflection:
For normal flight, the control surfaces do not need much deflection. However, I like pushing the envelope and upon obtaining 100% deflection meant that the rudder and elevons would interfere. I ended up dialing down the control surfaces to 35% to keep them from hitting each other. This is by design, but maybe a sharp angle on the top and bottom of the rudders to avoid contact at full deflection?

Flight/ground control:
Even with the control surfaces at 35% of their capable deflection, the MHO had a good turning radius and even was able to perform loose rolling circles. It was very stable on the ground as well as in the air and required little input to maintain a straight line and altitude. Rudder was important in coordinated/assisted turns, but the overall stability and gentleness of it was a bit of a suprise to me. I need to experiment with the CG to stabilize hovers a bit, but harriers take little effort.

Water:
Havent had an opportunity yet, so no evaluation.

Overall, Red did a good job bringing this to the market and the kit is as complete as I could ask for. It is definately something different and until it is experienced no amount of describing it will do.

-Mike

harrymc
09-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mike!
I can't wait for you to try it on water, it's even more fun there!
Especially when folks hanging out at the lake see that "boat" lift off the water! :p

harrymc
09-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I have a new MHO to show you guys.
Kevin (Kev71H on rcg) owns a Vinyl Graphics company, and put it to good use on his MHO named Mr. Napster. Graphics are 2 mil vinyl. Just an outstanding job Kevin! :D

harrymc
09-14-2005, 07:00 PM
And yet another Miss Hangar One is almost ready to fly.
This one was done by Ben (GentleBen1952 on rcg).
He named his boat Miss Boane (stands for BOAt/plaNE) :p
Great job Ben! Please let us know how she flys! :D

Harry

George Navarro
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I had to correct my post to where I got the hydro plans. I think I got them from hydrofoam.de.
George

tramsay
09-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Reformed,
I too just emailed asking for those plans :o)

thanks!
~Tip

George Navarro
09-15-2005, 12:39 AM
If you go to that websit (hydrofoam.de) you can down load them yourself. They will print out on 8x10 sheets so you can tape and cut the templates of the plans.

Kev71H
09-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I have a new MHO to show you guys.
Kevin (Kev71H on rcg) owns a Vinyl Graphics company, and put it to good use on his MHO named Mr. Napster. Graphics are 2 mil vinyl. Just an outstanding job Kevin! :D

Thanks Harry!

I appreciate the kind comments. IT was a labor of love. I have had a few inquiries on doing "graphics" for these hydroplanes. I have 2 jobs total. I own my own graphics business and I work for a Mortuary to get the good benifits.

The graphics job I have on mine would run about 60.00 dollars. Thats because its 3 colors and its not too terrably involved. I don't really have time to do small projects like this but its not impossible if someone knows exactly what they want.

Anyway, I love this baby soooooooo much! I can't wait to fly it on water.

Kevin

George Navarro
09-15-2005, 01:56 AM
Has anyone built a hydro plane with a rear facing motor? I was checking out www.hydro-foam.de (http://www.hydro-foam.de) and came across one that looks pretty cool. Maybe something new to try.

George Navarro
09-15-2005, 04:06 AM
Sorry about my posts. I didn't know this was for Miss Hanger One only. I still got some good info from you guys that was very helpful. I'll keep check this area for any good info.
Thanks everyone.
George

bvincent
09-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Welcome aboard Kev!!

George Navarro,
I hope we didn't scare you away! We all want to learn anything we can about this new part of the hobby. This is a MH1 thread, but all info pertaining to flight and set ups is great to be shared with all. Not to mention all the cool paint schemes seen. :D

tramsay
09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
If you go to that websit (hydrofoam.de) you can down load them yourself. They will print out on 8x10 sheets so you can tape and cut the templates of the plans.

I went to the site. Since I can't read german, I just clicked around on the links, but did not find the plans.

harrymc
09-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey Tramsay, the thread for "free plans" is:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3105#post3105

Harry

George Navarro
09-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Don't worry you couldn't pull me away from here. It's got great info.
The thread above is the same plans I used. Mine's complete all but the motor. I should be getting it any day now. I'll post some pictures on the other thread when I can.
George

tramsay
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Awesome! Thanks very much Harry!

harrymc
09-15-2005, 10:26 PM
You're welcome tramsay! :D

George! :D, glad you're hangin' with us!
I'll be watchin for your new boat!:)

Harry

GentleBen1952
09-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Finally got all the details done.:)

Mike Parsons
09-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Sweet:)

George Navarro
09-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Nice job!! How does it fly/float?
I posted a few pictures of my hydro on the miss dow thread.
George

GentleBen1952
09-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Nice job!! How does it fly/float?
I posted a few pictures of my hydro on the miss dow thread.
George
Yours looks real good to George! She flies just like the video's posted everywhere. Knocked the left sponson off when the speed control cut out in low high alpha flight. I didn't provide enough cooling but she patched up easy. I also ordered a Coolrunning 12 to replace the CC10, everybody seems to really like them. I haven't had a chance to fly off water yet, can't wait.

harrymc
09-22-2005, 03:41 AM
Ben,
Miss Boane is looking really good, that black trim really sets it off doesn't it?
We're lookin' forward to hearing how your 'water trials' go.

Mike,
Did you ever get yours on water?

GentleBen1952
09-22-2005, 04:37 AM
Liked the bottom of Harry's boat so much I had to make one more little addition.

tramsay
09-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Ben, whats the secret behind the checkerboard? It is a stencil that you paint over? Looks great!

...I think I asked this in one of the other gozillian hydro foam threads, but never got an answer.

tramsay
09-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Oh!..and I was building last night and could not find the rear radio hatch that I am supposed to use as a spacer to glue the cockpit sides to the bottom of the deck...any one else have this problem? So hard to know one rectangle peice from another when the parts legend is not to scale, and is not the same as the foam sheets.

GentleBen1952
09-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Ben, whats the secret behind the checkerboard? It is a stencil that you paint over? Looks great!

...I think I asked this in one of the other gozillian hydro foam threads, but never got an answer.
This is the first time trying checkerboard myself so this may not be the "approved" method. I just cut 1" squares out of some trim sheet I had laying around, masking tape should work to. Stick em on, paint, pull back off. The black was just done with a sharpie marker. Good Luck:)

GentleBen1952
09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh!..and I was building last night and could not find the rear radio hatch that I am supposed to use as a spacer to glue the cockpit sides to the bottom of the deck...any one else have this problem? So hard to know one rectangle peice from another when the parts legend is not to scale, and is not the same as the foam sheets.
A lot of people are having the same problem, the piece I thought was the bottom hatch door would have been to short, so I just cut my own.
The dimensions on mine are 2 7/8" X 5"

tramsay
09-22-2005, 08:19 PM
A lot of people are having the same problem, the piece I thought was the bottom hatch door would have been to short, so I just cut my own.
The dimensions on mine are 2 7/8" X 5"

...Just what I was looking for! There is plenty of scrap depron that came with the kit, I just need to know the demensions. Thanks Ben!

...and whether it is approved or not, your checkboard looks great.

harrymc
10-04-2005, 05:17 AM
Mike Parsons, have you put your Miss Hangar One on the water yet?

bvincent
10-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Yeah? What happened here?? Everyone building or what?

harrymc
10-04-2005, 05:30 AM
I am! Ever so slowly! :p
But I continue to have a ball with my porky'o Miss Bubba! :D

GentleBen1952
10-04-2005, 05:32 AM
I just finished a MIG 15, my first EDF. :D "Miss Boane" is still going strong, but I mainly save her for the water, much more fun.

Mike Parsons
10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Mike Parsons, have you put your Miss Hangar One on the water yet?
Besides the bathtub to test for leaks...no. The parks around here wont allow it and a trip to the Lake hasnt been in the cards lately. I just pretend alot :D

dogz
10-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah I'm building like a snail,work is swamped and wife went back to school(college)with some classes so me and the kid are TRYING to pickup the slack.Winter is coming and I can feel the hibernation feeling calling me OH NO!!:D:D but I will finish her(no 'MISS' name yet)

Glacier Girl
10-04-2005, 01:48 PM

We're waiting on Red, no kits, no builds.:(
Due to my flying skills, I'm thinking of calling mine "Miss Take". LOL

harrymc
10-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Due to my flying skills, I'm thinking of calling mine "Miss Take". LOL

LOL Glacier Girl!!!

GARich
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM

All I can do is check the forums and try to retain some of the good info presented. Two of Red's promised ship dates have gone by and I haven't received my MH1. I'll have to re-read all these messages again when it arrives, I guess I should of made note of the applicable ones, but I didn't have any idea it would take this long. My LS and Coolrunner are gathering dust.;) ..

Rich

dogz
10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
hang in there GARich,It will come I read in another forum that Red is behind and is plugging away as best as he can.It will arive just be patient.I have been in your position before and before you know it you will be typing this same post to someone else!!!:D

GARich
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
hang in there GARich,It will come I read in another forum that Red is behind and is plugging away as best as he can.It will arive just be patient.I have been in your position before and before you know it you will be typing this same post to someone else!!!:D

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been reading the other forum also and realize that Red has a backload, was mostly letting a pervious poster know why there's so little activity on this forum.:rolleyes:

Rich

Grumman
10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
:) Looks great I'll have to get one....Guys do I need any special radio functions to fly this craft....I have a Futaba-7CH. I will order from Red shortly...Get in line it looks like....
OK Thank You,
Mojo

CorsairJock
10-12-2005, 05:07 PM
:) Looks great I'll have to get one....Guys do I need any special radio functions to fly this craft....I have a Futaba-7CH. I will order from Red shortly...Get in line it looks like....
OK Thank You,
Mojo

Just elevon mixing. The twin 'stabilizers' each have 2 elevons, which in turn are acuated by a total of 2 (micro) servos. A third servo is used for twin rudders.

Glacier Girl
10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey,
I ordered mine end of August, I talked to Red last week, he said my order got mislaid, and he would get my stuff together and ship this week.
Well guess what showed last night. Box looked like it had been abused by every person involved at "snail mail", but all was perfect inside. Even the MOFO was unscathed.
Cough, cough, I feel a cold coming on, may have to call off work on friday.

Grumman
10-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Hello Corsairjock!!!! Thank You Very Much for the information, I will order soon.I have also contacted Red good guy also gets right back to you....
Happy Flying!!!
Maurice

barnyardflyer
10-13-2005, 02:14 AM
I finally got to fly mine in 0 wind conditions tonight. What a sweet flyer! This kit is the one to beat, IMHO. It took a lot of right trim to get it settled down, but then it was smooth.

harrymc
10-13-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your boat BarnYard! I've just about worn out Miss Bubba from flying her so much. I need to finish my 2nd soon!

Harry

bvincent
10-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Well Hi Guys!!
I'm here at Red's watching and helping him cut and bag kits! 40 today so far! We will try and take some pics of the laser doing it's thing.

bvincent
10-13-2005, 05:35 AM
Here you Go!
1. mounts on the laser
2. Stack of new MH1's!! :D
3. Me holding fresh cut mounts
4. MH1's that didn't meet the QC standards! :eek:

Pic #2 is showing the post in the above post. This is a pic of the laptop ontop of 25 new boats!

bvincent
10-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Anyone want Scraps from the Dead pool? :D

harrymc
10-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Very Cool Bob!
Now lets have some pictures showing Red Feeding the Laser! :p

Harry

bvincent
10-13-2005, 05:51 AM
This won't take video's?! We have a 20 second clip of the laser at work. Also a couple more pics coming up.

bvincent
10-13-2005, 06:02 AM
Here's my Boat like a Salmon returning to her place of Birth!!! How cool is that?

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:05 AM
And ya know what happens to the Salmon after returning. . . :p

bvincent
10-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi Harry,
Red says Hi!

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
HEY RED!!! :D

I'm loving every minute of my Miss Hangar One!!!
Airplanes everywhere and all I want to do is fly my boat!!! :p
Thanks for a great building and flying kit!!! ;)

Harry

oh yeah. . . Hey Bob!

bvincent
10-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Hey Harry

How can we post video here?

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Don't know about here.
But email me the video as an attachment and I'll post it on my 3dcrazy.com server. If you can, right away, cause I'll be in the Smokey Mountains for a few days starting tomorrow morning.

bvincent
10-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Should be there now.

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:39 AM
http://3dcrazy.com/Garage%20005.mpg

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:45 AM
http://3dcrazy.com/MissHangerOne_Wet.wmv
http://3dcrazy.com/MHO_Grass.wmv
http://3dcrazy.com/MHO_Wet.wmv
http://3dcrazy.com/MHO_Bloopers.wmv

harrymc
10-13-2005, 06:51 AM
You guys have fun, I'm signing off until Sunday evening!

Harry

Glacier Girl
10-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Bob,
She looks like a giant lobster laying there.
And why is the reject pile missing all of the parts, I just noticed it's the leftovers after parts are removed. Hmmmmm did you tell Red they were no good and pocketed them for future use. LOL

bz1mcr
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Here's my Boat like a Salmon returning to her place of Birth!!! How cool is that?

Cool! thanks for sharing.

barnyardflyer
10-16-2005, 05:47 PM
The MH1 feels to be a very smooth and stable flyer. I am waiting for the wind to die down to do more testing. Video of my maiden flight can be viewed here: http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=25872&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Greg Covey
10-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Here is our first flying boat built by Paul Weigand and hovered by Devin McGrath. Mine should be done soon.

bz1mcr
10-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Can't find it on your site? Is it for sale?

phils
10-18-2005, 03:54 AM
This may sound like a stupid question, but I am fairly new to the sport.
What is the configuration used to allow the rear elevators to act as ailerons?

I am just starting to fly with ailerons and am quite aware I have a ways to go before attempting the MHO, but maybe santa will bring me a kit for Xmas and I can build it while I build some skillz :D

Love the thread, love the forum, Thanks

CorsairJock
10-18-2005, 05:11 AM
When control surfaces do the job of elevators AND ailerons, they are called elevons.
Most programable transmitters have an elevon mixing option built into them: you just enable it if you need it.

tashley
10-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Nice looking boat Greg.;)

Tom Frank
10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Has anyone a picture of the MHO in a flipped but floating position? I'm curious as to where the RX/ESC/Battery are relative to the waterline.

Johnatwork
10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Good Day from Canada,
What a great site!!! I am a beginner with electrics and am totally amazed at how much great information is available in this one place. Kudos to you all, you really make this hobby the Best.

I have read and read about motor/prop/batteries and am more confused than ever. I have made up a set of plans for the hydro that is 26" x 14-1/2" wide and has an all up weight of 12-1/2 oz. It is constructed from 2 & 3mm Depron. The battery pack is 7 x 1000 mAh 2/3 nicads = 8.4 volts, the motor is a 420LF Outrunner 3200kv brushless with cooling fan built in. All is connected through an Eflite 20 amp ESC.

I had put an 8 x 4 Master Airscrew prop on it and the ESC cuts out when I push to WOT. So I down sized to a 6 x 4 I had from an .020 Thimbledrome. The smaller prop put out more thrust, but this thing would hardly move across a lino floor. I guess I had expected it to rip out of my hand, instead it won't pull a limp pickle out of a lard bucket if you get my meaning.

Do I need to shell out for the TP Lipo's that Red sells to make this thing work? I am trying to buy a couple of Purple Perils + the 8-4 props from him but nothing yet. It just seems to me that this motor (although heavier than the Screamers) should pull this little beast. Am I not feeding it enough juice with only 7 cells? I know you people have the answers, but make it real simple cause I'm old.

Many thanks in advance, Johnatwork

tashley
10-19-2005, 02:22 AM
John, you should certainly ditch the ni-cads and go with a 3s li-poly set up for both power and weight reduction. something around 1000mah depending on your c/g of the boat. Most everyone is using either an 8-4 or the more popular 7-3.5 prop. The use of props designed for electrics is highly recommended as well. If Red is out of stock on the MOFOs you might try Todd's, he's had them in stock lately.
Hope this helps.

Johnatwork
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Tom,
Many Thanks!
Johnatwork

Johnatwork
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
e info. I do not know who Todd is. How do I get hold of him?

Johnatwork
10-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the info. Don't know who Todd is. What is his handle on this site?

tashley
10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.toddsmodels.com/
He shows them to be in stock now for $37.99.

Glacier Girl
10-19-2005, 06:03 PM
John, you should certainly ditch the ni-cads and go with a 3s li-poly set up for both power and weight reduction. something around 1000mah depending on your c/g of the boat. Most everyone is using either an 8-4 or the more popular 7-3.5 prop. The use of props designed for electrics is highly recommended as well. If Red is out of stock on the MOFOs you might try Todd's, he's had them in stock lately.
Hope this helps.

Dead on advice. These motors need the 3s power to come alive.

For the MOFO, if Todd is out, try Scott @ littlescreamers. The man who builds these beauties. www.littlescreamers.com (http://www.littlescreamers.com)

Johnatwork
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Tom,
Thank you for the super fast responce to my quiry !! I just put the order into Todds site for the Purple Peril with the Phoenix 10 ESC, LiPo(TP 1320mAh 3 cell), charger, adapter and prop. I don't know a lot about the chargers for LiPo's but it looked to me like the cheapy PolyCharger ($25.00) would do the trick. I sure hope I didn't make a mistake on the charger.

Now I just have to sit on the front porch and wait for the mailman. This is exciting !!

Thanks again for your friendly assistance.
PS Would the 420LF Outrunner do the jobwith these new LiPo's?

John

tashley
10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
John, you didn't necessarily make a mistake buying a twenty five dollar charger. If you get serious about the electric/li-poly thing you can always upgrade to a more expensive charger with all the bells and whistles and use the inexpensive one to double up on charging duties. I have a total of three li-poly chargers and sometimes wish I had four or five.
On a nice day when all I take to the field to fly is electrics I may take several and it's nice to have more than one charger "cooking them batts".:D

CorsairJock
10-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes, what Tom said. I also have several chargers, including a $25 Great Planes one. You can't go wrong with it. it is a good charger for the type of packs you would be using on a HydroFoam.
If you ever decide to build larger electrics, such as a Hanger 9 Corsair as I have done, an AstroFlight 109 Lithium charger would be more appropriate.

As for the motor (420LF), I know nothing about it. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands by now) of brushless motors available for R/C applications, and I for one don't have time to review them all, so I stick to a few of the major brands/ more popular ones such as AXI & HiMaxx. I'll be installing an AXI 2212/34 on mine.

Johnatwork
10-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the confirmation on the charger guys. By the way ... Would the 420LF Outrunner do the jobwith these new LiPo's?

John

tashley
10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
John, I must have a vaporlock, what's a 400LF?

Johnatwork
10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
This is the info I have for the 420LF:
Align 420LF 3200 KV Brushless Motor

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-8138790970737_1865_6989913http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifhttp://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-8138790970737_1865_7026659

The newest outrunner brushless motor . Efficiency is supposed to be at 80%.

Input voltage: 7.4-14.8 volts
Max output power: 290W
KV value: 3200KV
Dimensions: spindle 3.17 x 27.5 x 33 mm
Weight: ~64 grams

THIS IS THE NEW BUILT-IN COOLING MOTOR DESIGN
Does this help in any way?
John

Johnatwork
10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Here is some specs on the Align 420 LF
Feature
1.New high-efficiency, power-saving motor.
High rate capability: 80%
2.Pure metal high speed CNC precise processing.
3.The standardized automatic winding production. Low KV specification error.
4.Special cooling fan design. Effectively reduces load rotation temperature of motor(load temperature of outer case: 45-55°C.Test ambient temperature: 20°C).
5.Light weight.High efficiency.Long service life.
Specification
-Input voltage: DC7.4~14.8v
-Max Contimuous current: 25A
-Max Output Power:290W (approx.)
-KV Value:3200KV
-Dimension: spindle 3.17x27.5x33mm
-Weight: 64g (approx.)

John

CorsairJock
10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Given the "KV value: 3200KV", I would say it would need a gear reduction. Also, it sure doesn't look like an outrunner.

tashley
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
John, it's also twice the weight of a MOFO. I don't think it would be handy on that design.

tashley
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
To elaborate, you need something in a lightweight outrunner weighing about thirty grams and putting out about one hundred twenty five watts.

CorsairJock
10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree with Tom, altho I am assuming he meant 30 grams, not oz. Actually, I think a motor weighing between 30 ~ 45 grams, with out put of 125~ 175 watts would be best. As Tom stated, your choice is too heavy and has much more power than you will ever need. These (hydrofaom) models have good vertical performance with motors in the range listed above. Using a 300 watt motor could lead to the motor and prop having good vertical performance, but leaving the rest of the model behind.

Looking back at your previous posts, I can see why the motor (ESC) was cutting out when you installed an 8 x 4 prop: you were pulling WAY too many amps. As stated: this motor (the 420L) will need gear reduction to be able to turn any reasonably sized prop. Altho it MAY be able to turn a6 x 4 without overloading (MAY), you will not get much thrust from such a prop, no matter how fast it turns, for an aircraft (boat) this size.

tashley
10-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks Jock, I'll fix my little blunder.:o

Greg Covey
10-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I flew my new "FMA Kokam" Flying Boat built from the "Miss Hangar One" kit today. The other boat is from my friend, Paul Weigand. Video coming soon...

Greg Covey
10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Some flying photos...

Johnatwork
10-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Greg,
Your Hydro looks so good! What kind of paint did you use to keep it light but look so great?
John

tashley
10-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Looks nice Greg, what motor?

Greg Covey
10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
The "boats" use an AXI 2208/34 , Jeti Advance PLUS 8-amp ESC , 9x6 SF prop, and a 3-cell Kokam 1250mAh pack. The Jeti 12amp ESC might be better if you plan to hover alot but the 8amp ESC seems to work fine being air cooled where we mount it. The paint is Tamaya Acrylic spray paint which is expensive but doesn't hurt the foam. On my red flying boat, the main white part is unpainted foam which keeps it lighter than the yellow/blue boat. The black checkerboard is made from black sticky-back Monokote squares only so the white part is the foam.

Johnatwork
10-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Given the "KV value: 3200KV", I would say it would need a gear reduction. Also, it sure doesn't look like an outrunner.
Corsairjock,
This little unit has fixed stators with a rotating can around them attached to the shaft. Then the whole thing is inside of a stationary outer case. It has a fan built into the front sucking air through the motor. It looked like a good idea when I bought it. Now I'm not so sure from what you are telling me.
This motor stuff is really confusing to me. Greg is using an Axi and when I look at the specs on the Axi I get even more confused;
Axi Volt Range = 6-8 cells verses 6-12 cells on the LF 420
Axi RPM/Volt = 1250 verses 3200
Axi Efficiency = 79% verses 80% close enough
Axi Dimensions = 35 x 34.5 verses 27.5 x 33
Axi weight = 78g verses 64g

Why then won't mine work without a gear drive? What am I missing here? I just can't get my head around this. HELP ! anyone.
John:confused:

Noin
10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
John,

Think of the high motor rpm like driving your car in 5th gear ALL THE TIME. It works fine for highway speeds but sucks crap in the city. Your motor is a HIGH rpm motor, thats not a bad thing in the right application. However if you use it in a direct drive application, meaning no gear reduction or gear box, you will be spinning the prop very quickly. Now when you get into prop sizes, the slower you spin the prop the bigger it can be. I am going to pick 2 prop sizes just as an example. Lets say you have a 10x8, 10 being the diameter in inches and the 8 being the pitch of the blades. You also have a 5x4. Theoretically you can spin both props at the same rpm but you will not get the same amount of thrust and speed. A large diameter prop will give you stump pulling power over the same pitch but smaller diameter. So a larger prop is best for hovering and long verticals.

Now back to your question, for the type of plane you are going to be flying you want a large prop, relatively speaking. With your motor being a high rpm it would be over loaded with the prop you need to use. Its like pulling a 5000lb trailer with a sub compact car. In the right application the cars engine is suitable for the job. But add a 5000lb trailer and she no go...lol. Actually she might go but wouldn't do much for the life of the car. You might find excess heat building in the transmission or the engine itself. The brakes would over heat. You get the picture.

Your motor is designed to go into a heli that has a small gear on the motor shaft and a very large gear on the rotor drive shaft. Thus giving it a gear reduction effect, just like your old ten speed bike, when you had it on the small gear in the front and the large gear in the back it was easy to peddle but you couldn't go very fast, you could go up a wall but not fast...lol.

If you try to use your motor you will build up too much heat inside it or your speed control and over heat it. Nothing stopping you from getting a gear box. Problem with that is, weight. These guys have been having a great deal of success with the recommended motors. You could play around and find something else that works, it may just be a long road to travel.

For the guys that really know your props and stuff, I just pulled those 2 prop sizes out of my head. I realize they probably don't match up, they were just for example.

Hope this helps

tashley
10-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Well put but actually the MH1 has very little wing with wich to counter-act torque created by a large diameter low pitch prop. Most are using eight and seven inch props.

Johnatwork
10-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Deleated

Johnatwork
10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Noin,
Thank you soo much for the info. I didn't realize this motor was designed mainly for an eqq beater... but your explanation was very good. I think what you are saying is I have a high RPM motor but it dosen't put out a lot of power, so either I run a little tiny prop direct or gear it down and use a bigger prop. Again weight becomes the factor.
So in a nut shell I bought this motor thinking Wow... 3200 KV ! That should really whip this ship around ! when actually I should have considered a lower KV with a higher wattage output?? Am I seeing it yet?
John

Glacier Girl
10-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Johnatwork,
You have the basics down.
Here you go: Low Kv = high torque/ low speed big prop/ slow prop speed
High Kv= low torque/ high speed small prop/ high prop speed

The motor you picked would be great direct drive if you were looking at a high speed application.
Welcome to the joys of electrics. Where there are rules and ways to go around them. And therin begins the confusion.

Johnatwork
10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Johnatwork,
You have the basics down.
Here you go: Low Kv = high torque/ low speed big prop/ slow prop speed
High Kv= low torque/ high speed small prop/ high prop speed

The motor you picked would be great direct drive if you were looking at a high speed application.
Welcome to the joys of electrics. Where there are rules and ways to go around them. And therin begins the confusion.

If I was to pick up an EDF for this motor... first would that be a good use for it and second what size would be recommended to power a plane of around 16 -20 oz.
John

erikm
10-24-2005, 03:53 PM
The "boats" use an AXI 2808/34 , Jeti Advance PLUS 8-amp ESC , 9x6 SF prop, and a 3-cell Kokam 1250mAh pack. The Jeti 12amp ESC might be better if you plan to hover alot but the 8amp ESC seems to work fine being air cooled where we mount it. The paint is Tamaya Acrylic spray paint which is expensive but doesn't hurt the foam. On my red flying boat, the main white part is unpainted foam which keeps it lighter than the yellow/blue boat. The black checkerboard is made from black sticky-back Monokote squares only so the white part is the foam.

Don't you mean an AXI 2208/34? The 2808 series only come in 16, 20 and 24 wind versions and weigh 76 grams.:confused: