PDA

View Full Version : Esc

autorail1
10-04-2007, 04:47 AM
I have a 2409-18T brushless motor from tower pro with a 25 A brushless speed controller with a 3s 1700 mah battery using a 10x 4.7. I run this set up on my slow stick with no issues. When I use the same setup in my U can do 3d flight flex plane. The motor will cut out after just 3 min of power. I then checked the esc and it was very hot to the touch. The ESC also beeps as if it is in safety mode. I can get power back after about 1 min of not using power for the motor

Could it be getting too hot since the esc is inside of the pouch and not getting much air flow.

Should I go with a bigger esc?

Any Ideas,

Thanks
Jeff S.

CHELLIE
10-04-2007, 04:56 AM
I have a 2409-18T brushless motor from tower pro with a 25 A brushless speed controller with a 3s 1700 mah battery using a 10x 4.7. I run this set up on my slow stick with no issues. When I use the same setup in my U can do 3d flight flex plane. The motor will cut out after just 3 min of power. I then checked the esc and it was very hot to the touch. The ESC also beeps as if it is in safety mode. I can get power back after about 1 min of not using power for the motor

Could it be getting too hot since the esc is inside of the pouch and not getting much air flow.

Should I go with a bigger esc?

Any Ideas,

Thanks
Jeff S.

It sure sounds like its getting hot, you need to vent the cowl /etc. to get some air in there, also avoid constant wide open throttle, or it will get hot, here are some recomendations from heads up rc,Take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-18T-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220152503528QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

autorail1
10-04-2007, 05:06 AM
HA! I knew you would probably be the 1st to respond :) I was getting ready to send you a PM

Thanks

It sure sounds like its getting hot, you need to vent the cowl /etc. to get some air in there, also avoid constant wide open throttle, or it will get hot, here are some recomendations from heads up rc,Take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-18T-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220152503528QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

autorail1
10-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Also, I was not actually flying it I was just having a friend hold it and just doing short engine runs (no more than 2 minutes). Could it just be that no air is going across the surface. The inside of the zipper is a breathable material. I may try another ESC. the one could be bad maybe??

CHELLIE
10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Also, I was not actually flying it I was just having a friend hold it and just doing short engine runs (no more than 2 minutes). Could it just be that no air is going across the surface. The inside of the zipper is a breathable material. I may try another ESC. the one could be bad maybe??

Hi Autorail :ws: the motor will build up more heat just holding it static like that, the motor does not have a chance to unload, see i have learned a lot here on Wattflyers, remove the zipper, its blocking air flow,and mount the ESC where it can find some air to move over it, also you might want to prop down just a little, Hope that helps, take care and have fun, Chellie