PDA

View Full Version : bit different from a planes on floats

stevecooper
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I've been do'in up chunk foam gilders and found the GWS floats work on most but my new one's a might different as I'm do'in a flying boat which I'm find'in a bit different from a planes on floats which is not a plane that floats,I hope a 450 outie, two 910, 11.1 lipos in parallel, 25 ESC will put her on step, anyhoo, here she is, your bub, stevecooper P.S. the airboats a dead plane fetcher,

bhatch21
10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi. I've been reading your threads on the Ultra glider tosser. My friend and I have been working on ours. His crashed on the maiden today. CG was around 2 inches but when it left my hand it did a loop and crashed. Kinda like it was tail heavy. Mine will be a flying boat. I have the motor mounted up high in front of the horizontal stab. It's similar to Great Planes' Seawind. How did you shape that hull and attach it to the fuselage? What's your AUW? Where is the Fying boat's CG? Let us know how she flies. Thanks.

stevecooper
10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
bhatch21 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14701)::yep , sounds kinda tail heavy! I used the untrimed GWS float, (just cut flare off the top, I've just finished the jig for her and should have her calabanes and strutts APE- glued an anchored, I'm got find out if down-thrust is used on this type aircraft as shes gonna "push-over" a might but there so many of this type in the 20's-30's it gotta work, your bub, stevecooper

bhatch21
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I was just checking to see if there was any progress on your boat plane? I got mine ready for maiden, but I wanted to do a sliding belly take off. I discovered that my motor creates so much moment about the wing that the plane would rather "dig" its nose in the ground than slide forward. My AUW is 20ozs. That includes 2ozs. I added to the nose to get the CG to come in at about 2.5" from the leading edge. I've added main wheels under the nose so she rolls on the ground now. I just don't want to get it up and have an uncontrolable tail heavy situation or have the motor's thrust always forcing the nose down. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

bhatch21
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh yeah, I'm making sure mine flies before I build a hull and put it in the water. So the wheels will come off after it passes the test.

stevecooper
10-17-2007, 06:02 PM
bhatch21::Wow! that was fast! you bub's of mine always are finishing things before I'm half done! ( It's not so bad as I get to find out where I might need to change something before I screw it for myself) I try'ed to fly my Zebra 10 TIMES before I landed where I'd planned to, but after sett'in the CG way nose heavy'er that I thought possible! ( nothing else had worked so far) she flys like slow-stick till she tip stalls so I keep her speed up in the turns( needs an outie thats on order from UH) The flite packs are now posted for the sea-plane an the Zebra,( YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!) I ask some of our other bubs about the thrust angles on the top wing power set-up an they said the thrust angle should be UP!!!!!!I'd guess 2%up & 2% right and she 'll be right as rain, anyhoo, heres some pix's of my modest progress and pix's of my field that keeps me from gett'in much of anything done!!! your bub, stevecooper

bhatch21
10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi. I got to maiden my fake seawind yesterday. It was threatening to rain on me and the wind was coming in at 10mph. I got her in the air after about 25' of rolling on the ground. Flew pretty stable except for the motor torque pushing the wings over and the nose dipping a little. Trim fixed the nose but I never got the ailerons to compensate for the torque just right. I managed to pull off one barrel roll but it was pretty slow and I lost significant altitude with it. After about 5 mins I opted to land on grass instead of asphalt. I brought it in level but it was kinda fast, so the sudden stop broke my motor mount. No other damage though, and I fixed the mount with epoxy. A few more flights and I'll try to put a hull and rudder on her for some water takeoffs. More info later.

stevecooper
10-27-2007, 02:24 AM
bhatch21::Got the flite-packs so she'll be buzz'in around soon, your bub, stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
10-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Glow test stand?

Steve, is that part of the glow stuff you're giving me? :D

stevecooper
10-27-2007, 04:17 AM
FlyingMonkey (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14729)::Q-500's for you!! your bub, stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
10-27-2007, 04:34 AM
why do you hate me? :D

stevecooper
10-27-2007, 08:30 PM
FlyingMonkey (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14729)::Hate? your gonna love um! your bub, stevecooperPS I still ain't gott'a clue as to the thrust an'gal's ( level or up or down?)

bhatch21
10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Steve, you're boat plane looks good. I've got my thrust angle level with the fuselage and it flies straight and true. Hand launches are very difficult without any wind because the motor's thrust pitches the nose down alot. When my plane gains airspeed, the lift counters the thrust and she flies level. I've broken my tail and motor mount on some rough landings and botched launches. I still haven't put a hull on it because I think a different motor with more power will be needed for me to rise off the water. I'll post a pic when I get home later.

stevecooper
10-30-2007, 12:14 AM
bhatch21 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14701):: Give me all the hand chunk'in tips you can as thats how I'm go'in to do ( till the pond fill's up), hand chunk'in for 40+ years but I've never chunked anything like this before, I had a feel'in that'd be the case but I'm sorry you "took one for the team" in learn'in this valuable lesson for us both,I got the alma floats on last night, they look good too, your bub, stevecooper PS PIXS PLEASE!!!!

bhatch21
10-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Here's the only pic I have handy. You get the idea. I think the wingspan is about 44 inches. The only successful hand launches I've had have come from my buddy throwing it. This gives me more time to adjust the sticks as soon as it leaves his hand. He grabs it behind the battery and gives it a slightly upward toss. Oh, its not in my camera phone pic, but the battery is about 2 inches from the front of the nose.

bhatch21
10-30-2007, 05:50 AM
ok, the attachment app works awesome. I click upload, and it acts like it does, says done, and then no image. Probably some activex iexplorer garbage. Its late, so you'll just have to imagine until I can figure it out later.

bhatch21
11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Here's some more pics of the plane. I got a couple more flights on it yesterday. Hand launches and grass belly landings. I don't know if it'll ever be a flying boat. Just not sure if I want to water proof everything and still take a chance on shorting out my lipo. Plus, I found an ultrafly biplane that could use the gear I have in this one. We'll see. The extra popsicle sticks around the motor mount are from repairs.

stevecooper
11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
bhatch21:: look so cool my bub,Got the rest of my flite pack tonight so she'll main'in soon, your bub, stevecooper

stevecooper
11-16-2007, 01:43 AM
bhatch21 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14701)::You were sooooo right!! you bout gotta launch it like a rocket almost, I got REAL LUCKY the first time and lear'nt my lesson!! thanks for your timely advice as you more that likely saved my maid'in flite,( an my plane) she flew well and she's trimed now, sure likes rudder input for some reason, thanks, your bub, stevecooper

Detroit Dave
11-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Was just browsing and had to register to put in my two cents worth. I have an Ace Seamaster that I bought used. It has the engine mounted above the wing in a pod type of thing.I went and looked at it. It has what looks to be at least two or three degrees of up and about two degrees of right thrust. It's not flying as an electric, but thrust angles are the same for any type of power system.
There you go....that's what I have to say.
Back to my building table. I've got a Sig Rascal there that wil be powered by electrons. The kit has been on my shelf for way too many years....I have a speed 400 with a gearbox for power. I'll probably go brushless if I put if and when I put it on floats.

Later, Dave

bhatch21
11-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Steve, glad to hear about the successful maiden. It sounds like you hand launched it. Did you belly land on grass or water? The rudder on this plane is a funny thing, I don't have one, but I've found that it likes plenty of elevator in a banking turn. My buddies glider with the rudder and a tractor type puller will almost do flat spins from level flight by yanking on the rudder. I think the rudder stab is not big enough and the tail slides through the air in a turn. Let me know how it floats if you take off from or taxi it around on the water. Thanks.

stevecooper
11-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Detroit Dave (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18351)Thanks for your repley and your right about the up thurst, I plan to add some to mine, I am VERY glad you chimed in as up till now it's been a crap shoot! your bub, stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I hate, and I mean HATE your wheelbarrow.

dang man, at least buy yourself a wagon, like a respectable adult!

stevecooper
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
FlyingMonkey: (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=14729)I sorry, My bad, your bub, stevecooper PS. I get my soccer-mom trans locomotion ve'hic'cal out of the shop next week ( motor rebuild)

FlyingMonkey
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I still hate it, so you can STOP POSTING IT!!!!!!!!!

stevecooper
11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Grasshopper made me do it, It's that sweek'in between my ears, it's like he's in my hair rubb'in his legs 24-7!! and I did tidy-up the monkey chopper for ya and tucked all the wires up,though I'm still not sure what most of um are for?and the monkey SLIM'MER ( back on topic) water ready your bub, stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
monkey slimer?

you're not still trying to pass that glow powered plane off on me, are you?

stevecooper
11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
FlyingMonkeyIt means POO_FLINGER, But the very mention of it makes the MWS's run an duck make'in them-selfs harder targets!!an your gonna be drip'in on night'trio when you leave my house, I'm send'in hondaguy a float as soon as my SMT gets fixed , so they'll be two slimmers out there . you should see his monkeychopper! ( bring a truck )your bub, stevevcooper

FlyingMonkey
11-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I am not set up for glow!

Shy of some big, gorgeous warbird fully loaded, being handed to me free, or at such a price I couldn't say no, I will be sticking to electrics!

Detroit Dave
11-17-2007, 06:19 PM
You keep talking about slimers....here is my favorite slimer. It also flies on floats. It's the Goldberg Anniversary Cub that I built last year while I was stuck home recovering from my hip replacement.
It's got a Saito .72 up front and even if it a slimer, it flies like a dream.
Well...I'm out of here....working this afternoon and have a few things to do before I go to work.
Later, Dave

stevecooper
11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Detroit Dave (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18351): Nice slime'min there my new bub!! your bub,stevecooper

DavidEFM
12-07-2009, 03:02 AM
When you put a motor above the fuselage like, say the Seabee, you gotta put in some uptrust, that is if you ever want it to ROW. Once airborn, the upthrust is is just something you have to live with and retrim for.