PDA

View Full Version : You're gonna CRASH!!!

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
It's going to happen. Heck, chances are, if you're reading this, it's happened already.

If you fly, you crash. There isn't anybody with an RC airplane, who has flown it, that hasn't put at least one into the ground. Sure, you'll run across the guy who says he's never crashed before, but you can be sure he's lying. It's like someone saying they've never picked their nose. Everyone does, some just don't do it as often as others....

Not all of them are plane shattering. Some just require a little tape, or glue to get you airworthy again. Some leave nothing but garbage bag filler when they're done.

It's like someone saying they've never picked their nose. Everyone does, some just don't do it as often as others....

So, pick a favorite crash, maybe one that teaches a lesson, and write about it here. It will feel good, I promise.

ONE of mine was fairly recent, and a little painful. I was at Hodge's Hobbies, all excited to fly my recently maidened E-Flite P-47 at the field of fields. I had a crowd of fellow flyers around me. All people who were salivating for the chance to write about my impending aerial disaster.

Well, they didn't have to wait long. I checked the controls, everything moved, I gave it a toss, it climbed and it rolled left, I tried to correct, and it rolled harder left, into the ground. Crunch!

Let this be a lesson to you kids... Just because the controls moved, doesn't mean you checked them. Sometimes they are reversed, and that doesn't make for an easy to fly plane.

Fortunately it was just a damaged cowl, and a lossened motor mount. A little but of cutting and hot glueing, and servo reversing... and she was back in the air.

Liquidity
10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I remember that showing. A good time was had by all, well except the monkey.

My story: I rebuilt a plane that went down. I took my time stripped the covering off of the plane and found all of the damage from the previous outing. I spent a good amount of time repair, gluing, fabricating, and covering this plane.

I was so happy with my rebuilt plane that I placed a .40 sized electric motor into it. (My plane weighed maybe 22oz) Yes it was overpowered, but I had all the correct electrics in it to handle the A load.

I maidened the plane and everything went well. The power was unbelievable. It was a powerhouse in the air. Deciding not to tempt fate, I brought her down.

A few days later a buddy of mine and I went out to go flying. He brought his altimeter with him. I thought this would be awesome to put into my new created plane. Heck, I was going to shoot up to the highest point I could as quick as possible. I plug it in and off I went. Zoooooooooom. She shot up there. When it was getting hard for me to tell direction and orientation I decided to bring her down. I lowered the power and started to doing lazy (so I thought) circles to bring her down. NOPE! My wing snapped (not at the glue joint, but half way down one of the wings). I saw my overpowered custom built plane helplessly falling to her death.

WHAM! She hits the grass and leaves a nice sized hole. Slowly the wings come fluttering down. The plane was a complete lose, 1 servo was stripped, and the battery was about to go up in flames (it never did)

Luckily the altimeter was fine and we were able to find out how high and how fast. 954ft high followed by an 80.4 MPH slam into the ground.

At least we got the data.

darylm44
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
As a friend of mine says: "All RC airplanes have an expiration date - it's just not stamped on the plane";-)

Lieutenant Loughead
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
It's going to happen. Heck, chances are, if you're reading this, it's happened already.

If you fly, you crash. There isn't anybody with an RC airplane, who has flown it, that hasn't put at least one into the ground. Sure, you'll run across the guy who says he's never crashed before, but you can be sure he's lying.
LOL -- I used to get really angry at people who made statements like yours... I always said, "I DON'T CRASH." (I would go on to say I'm too "up tight", and too "cheap" to crash -- if I crashed, I wouldn't be able to pick up the pieces, dump more money into it, and fly again.)

The reality is that I only had a year (or maybe a year and a half) of experience, and had only flown two high wing trainers (Aerobird Challenger, and GWS Slow Stick) at that point -- it's easy not to crash when you have so much dihedral that the airplane will fly itself! :D

So, now, several years later, I will share an excerpt from my flight log:

Date: September 28, 2005
Time: 7:30 AM
Wind: 6 mph
Aircraft: GWS Zero
Flight Time: 6 minutes
Battery: Tanic 3s 2220 #1
mAh used: 464 mAh
After Flight Voltage: 11.93 volts
Minutes to Charge Battery: 53 minutes
Average Discharge Amps: 4.64 amps
Average Charge Amps: 0.53 amps

Debreifing: Kind of windy, but figured I'd fly anyway. Some really low clouds were moving fast, so I figured I'd try to fly up in them. I got blown downwind, lost orientation, and lost the Zero! I spent 20 to 25 minutes looking for her, and found her on the other side of the highway, 0.6 miles away! RIP!

Here's the deal -- The wind was only about 6 mph, below 100 feet; but was probably about 20 mph above 100 feet. When I got up into those low-hanging, fast-moving clouds, AND BLINKED, the airplane was suddenly WAY downwind, and I couldn't tell if it was going towards me or away from me! I looped it, and turned it several times, but each time she got farther away, and lower to the ground...

I ended up leveling her out, cutting the throttle, and TURNING OFF THE TRANSMITTER. I figured that way, she would continue to glide to something of a landing. (I trim all my aircraft to glide with no power or stick input, for this very reason.)

I jumped in my car, and drove in the direction of the aircraft... It's amazing how many white pieces of styrofoam (and white paper) are all over the place... It's also amazing how BIG the world really is, when you're looking for a 3-foot wingspan airplane (which has about $300 worth of electronics in it)...

Was it on the roof of the gas station? Was it behind the barbed wire fence at the motorcycle/jet ski business? Did it somehow make it to other side of the highway? If so, did it make it all the way into the golf course?

I drove up and down the highway, thinking, "If it landed in the back of a pickup truck, I'll never see it again."

Time ticked by... With each passing minute, I realized the chances increased that someone would find (and keep) my airplane before I did...

I exited the highway at about the place she may have come down. I pulled off on the side of the exit ramp, and drove up the grass to the fence surrounding the golf course... I looked inside... I waited for a golf cart to drive by -- it never came.

I was at the point of giving up... I turned around, and saw something in the ditch between the exit ramp and the highway. I was stunned when I realized it was my airplane! :eek:

The fuselage was broken in half at the leading wing root, and the prop was broken, but everything else was in good shape! After a paint job (to hide the repair work) she flew again -- as a Texan. I put another 100 flights on her after that, for a total of 200 flights, before selling her to a fellow pilot (who kept asking me to sell it to him). :cool:

Pictures below:

100th flight, just after landing.
105th flight, just after crash.
Just before 106th flight.

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
As a friend of mine says: "All RC airplanes have an expiration date - it's just not stamped on the plane";-)

Sorry, the rules strictly state...

if you're going to post here, you have to tell a crash tale.

You can do it, it's kinda like AA.

"Hi, my name is darylm and I crashed my plane..."

One of my first, although unwitnessed, crashes was back when I was learning to fly. I had a GWS Corsair that I bought off from jstone at SEFF 07. I took it to my "local" field, and was flying it around. I was still quite a newb, so, I paniced easier than I do now. (now I just crash em, I have more empty planes to put the guts in...) I was off over some trees and wasn't turning fast enough to my liking, so I cut it hard, stalled, and went in. Crunch, snap, crunch, snap, is what I heard until the inevitable THUD!

I did my now perfected walk of shame. Expecting the worst, I went over and found a nearly flight ready corsair sitting there, almost as if it was asking, "what took you so long?"

I put on a new prop, flew it around, until I crashed it hard enough that I couldn't just reprop it and fly. But that's another story...

pburt1975
10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
My stepson has shared my recent addiction to RC airplanes, so much that he had to buy a Aerobird 3 with one of his first paychecks. We took that out this past weekend to maiden it and started out on a great foot. 1 full battery charge, 2 pilots and not a single damaging landing. Maybe that one filled me with pride, a sense of I can do this :). After another recharge on the battery we took it back up, this time at a football field (the first was at a combination of 4 soccer fields).

Into the sky we go, stepson at the controls and very easy on the stick for a beginner. Its flying pretty well, but the trim nob keeps getting moved and it wont turn left. He hands me the control and I glide it in making adjustments. Since I have the control I send it back into the air and resume flying up to 50-75' kill the power and glide it down, nice and easy zig zagin a little here and there, got a little wide on a left turn and recovering to the right I JUST miss a light tower. Ok I settle down and remember Im new so back to 1/4 throttle to putter around. Nice large banking right hand turn, Oh theres the tower Im a good 10' off of it but turning wider then I thought and then BAMMM and you could see the plexiglass window wobble. A girl sittin on the bleachers spoke up and said "You hit the loud speaker!" Looked up and sure enough 1 loud speaker angled 45deg down from the other, OUCH.

Walked up to the carnage to see that the plane, wings and all was in fine shape but the impact sent the nicad pack out the fuse taking the RX with it. After a few hours of working on it, it was back flying.

The next day, my stepson takes it out to show his other brother how it flies and ends up doing a back flip and nosing it into the ground from 30'.

Im fixing it again tomorrow, lol

NUTS
10-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I hate it when I post something and I can't find the pics to put with it.
I'll get back to you all later.

Nuts

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Dangit NUTS, this isn't the gripe thread, it's the crash thread....

You ruin everything!

NUTS
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
LOL. I did think about that after I edited and sumited it.

NUTS
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok. Found it!
Lesson. Don't use questionable servos!

Enjoy,
Nuts

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok. Found it!
Lesson. Don't use questionable servos!

Enjoy,
Nuts

Did your kid cry himself to sleep, after asking you for bed time stories?

Because, man oh man, you stink at telling a tale...

NUTS
10-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Simple and to the point.

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Shakespear you are not...

Lieutenant Loughead
10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Are Nuts and FlyingMonkey married? Life partners? Siblings? :confused:

:D

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Flying Buddies?

hmmm, none of the above.

Biplane Murphy
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Are Nuts and FlyingMonkey married? Life partners? Siblings? :confused:

:D

Hmmmm...... FM is full of poo....Nuts is a professional diaper changer...
Sounds like a working relationship...:Q:Q:Q

Crash story.....

Had a Thunder Tiger Champion pattern ship (5 foot wingspan)......retired it..... then one day decided to put a reciever back in and fly the heck out of it....

Set up all the control throws and checked it over and over at home....

took it out to the field....fired it up and took off (no preflight check)

when she was 5 feet off the ground I began to bank right.....It rolled left.....so I rolled it hard to complete the roll....Victory roll on the deck..... I immediately knew the ailerons were reversed.:<:....

O.K. no big deal....just climb really high and have a friend reprogram the ailerons for me (done this before)

So I started to climb again and went to bank right.... Rolled left....I did the same darn thing....Completed the roll just in time to smash into a tree at the end off the field.:(....

The exploding balsa trick.

NUTS
10-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Shakespear you are not...
"Takest thou the holy handgrenade of Antioch and countest thou to three. Countest thou beginning with one, right on to two but not past three. Four is right off! Lobbist thou the holy handgrenade of Antioch."

Monty Python is my Shakespear!

I've been to Stratford Upon Avon, Shakespear's place of birth. Wasn't impressed.

Nuts

NUTS
10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Flying Buddies?

hmmm, none of the above.
Flying Buddies? You Bet!

firemanbill
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Last fall at the Hodges Hobbies all electric fly in, my first real fly in, me and my boy won some really cool raffle prizes. 44159The biggie was the E-Flite Super Airliner. The craft originally came decked out in the logo of its manufacturer. As we prepped for the trip to SEFF this spring I thought to myself that it would be just another run of the mill plane with the basic look. 44157So I began to think about various designs to enhance it for the fly-in.

What hit me immediately was to put it in the Oceanic World Air livery from the TV show “Lost”! I thought what a hoot that would be. So I hunted the web for a good view of the plane and came up with a pretty good looking setup. My son’s first comment was to see if anyone would recognize it as the plane from the TV show. We thought we would have a real show piece.

We got to Georgia for the fly in and sure enough it was a hit. The guys set up right next to us immediately noticed it was from the show.

So we prep it for flight and take off into the beautiful Georgia sky. I had made about 7 circuits with it when out of nowhere I lost all radio contact with it and down she went. Nose first into the red Georgia clay. Now mind you this plane had about 75 flights on it in its original color scheme without any type of incident whatsoever. To this day I still really have not figured out what happened…44158

bsoder
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I think you know exactly what happened... you were modeling the Oceanic plane, right down to the crash. :)

FlyingMonkey
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
"Takest thou the holy handgrenade of Antioch and countest thou to three. Countest thou beginning with one, right on to two but not past three. Four is right off! Lobbist thou the holy handgrenade of Antioch."

Monty Python is my Shakespear!

I've been to Stratford Upon Avon, Shakespear's place of birth. Wasn't impressed.

Nuts

Still no crash story....

I was out flying my lil blue funder, with the GF video taping. Something wasn't quite right with it, so I was bringing it in... It came in, and in, and then did a beautiufl cartwheel. If you listen closely, you can hear Weazilla's snort of emotional support... (in the video it seems the snort comes first, not sure why the sound is faster than the video, I thought light was supposed to be faster.)

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/photohikedive/Radio%20Control/AP%20and%20AV/?action=view&current=S5000248.flv

Gnascher
10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I had been trying to get together with PD1 for a while to fly. On one of our arranged dates, I had crashed pretty severely the day before, so we ended up just putting my plane back together.

Well, a week later, the fuselage was repaired but I was waiting on a new motor to come because the earlier crash had trashed my original one. PD1 was kind enough to loan me a (ridiculously over-powered one) so that we could finally get out and fly.

I brought my wife and my daughter along to meet Paul, and we headed out to his club field. Well, when we got there, there was a stiff but steady breeze heading right down the runway. We came there to fly, and fly we did.

Paul put up one of his birds first and flew around for a little while, then invited me to take the field. This was to be the re-maiden of my wounded bird. Well, I decided to ROG. The plane (with the rediculous motor) went vertical in about 3 feet. I kinda panicked because the plane started drifting over toward the pit where everyone was standing. Well ... the plane was about 8' in the air nose up ... suddenly it was straight down. It hit the dirt dead vertical. The prop disintegrated, and the motor mount blew a perfectly square hole right through my brand new firewall. The wing hold-down area got pretty busted up too. It wasn't as ugly a sight as my last crash ... but a real disappointment because I had such a crowd.

Fortunately, the disintegrating firewall actually took the worst of the crash energy, and didn't damage the motor. We went back to PD1's shop and spent the rest of the morning putting the plane back together AGAIN.

Well, I've got probably 30 flights since that crash ... seems I've shaken the "oopsies" out of it for a while.

gfdengine204
10-09-2007, 10:46 PM
OK, I'll play......

At our club's Fall Fun Fly, I was flying my delta combat wing courtesy of Dan Malone for the first time. Had it checked out by an experienced delta pilot, then took over the controls. Didn't do too badly either.

Decided a couple hours later the winds had died down enough for me to fly it solo. Had it doing some nice circuits, slow racetrack pattern. Just under half-throttle. How do I know it was just under half throttle, you may ask? Well, one of the old-timers remarked how nicely she was flying, and was I at half-throttle? I looked down and said, no I was a couple-a-clicks under half. So I decided to give it 2 clicks and set it at half. Just then, the delta veers left, I try to correct, and it hits the big tent. Busted the prop; no big deal. Bent the foam; easy enough to fix. The major disaster was the 3 inch square tear I put in the tenting. Whoops.

At least the owner was gracious and said he would take care of it. Nothing a piece of white duct tape wouldn't fix.

Just irritated the heck outta me, was flying fine til my buddy asked about the throttle. <sigh>

burkefj
10-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Well, the few really good crashes I've had were all due to reversed controls, one was elevator, one was aileron, both times I got in a hurry and looked for movement of the controls but not direction. I had set up a new pusher plane over the weekend and somehow I must have cleared all the programming before I put the xmitter on the charger, a quick preflight caught that the controls were now back to default, and reversed.

The other major loss was my Alfa Mig 15, I was doing an early morning(6am) test flight at a park, it was summer and the sun came up early, not thinking that it was all that loud, was on my second flight and landing approach when the plane pitched down and went straight in. Turned out I had misjudged my approach and I was just behind the telephone wires instead in front of them and the just caught the tail and cut it clean off, plane didn't fly too well after that:) As I'm walking back with the wreckage, I see a police officer walking up to me, he says kind of dry "Looks like the problem is solved" Turns out I was making a good racket and it was a bit too early to be on afterburner, some people complained but I had already solved the problem, policeman was pretty nice about the whole thing.

The two I feel worst about: one was a guy I was training, he was a private pilot and was doing really well really quickly, and we had gotten to that point on the training program where they need to do landings, you need to let them get far enough that they can learn to get themselves out of trouble but not too far that you can't save them, he was on base leg and making a nice gentle turn, when he went to full throttle and did a roll to inverted, I tried to take over but managed to pull level right as it went into a grove of nut trees, followed by the nice high pitched whine and sudden stop of a motor losing the prop and siezing.

Last training incindent was a guy who was getting pretty good, just a bit of help on landing, but not very often, well we were on the buddy box, and he kept bouncing his landings and killing the motor, so we would walk out to the runway, chicken stick the motor, and then taxi out and he would take off. Well, somewhere about the 5th takeoff and landing, he gets confused and asks me to take it, where upon I let go of the trainer switch and the the plane wont' react. The plane goes in at a shalow angle. I'm trying to figure out what happened when I look down and wonder why my antenna isn't extended, when I look over and see that his is extended, whereupon I realize that last takeoff I grabbed the slave and he grabbed the master, and since he was doing the takeoffs, that one time, we forgot to do the normal trainer/slave check, so I was sitting and holding the trainer button on the slave xmitter the whole time.

Frank

burkefj
10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I get a lot of emotional support from my wife and daughter when they are videotaping, "my neck hurts" "are you landing yet" etc,
my wife has a bad habbit of zooming in when she can't find the plane, instead of zooming out and looking at the ground to find out where she is. I'm always checking if they can see the plane ok, to which they usually reply, no I can't see the stupid plane. My daughter has a tendency to hum or sing while she tapes so I never get much of the nice aircraft sound. I've got a nice tape of me asking my wife to follow the plane, to which my daughter replies, "Yeah Mom" and she replies, "Oh shut up, Olivia" So now we have a habit of saying, "Oh shut up Olivia" at least once on every flying tape, just for posterity:) Of course my daughter caught on to taping much quicker and does a good job, except for the one time, I asked her if she had the plane on camera, which she replied yes, but then you hear her on the tape say, "now where did that plane go???" really quietly to herself:)

Frank

Still no crash story....

I was out flying my lil blue funder, with the GF video taping. Something wasn't quite right with it, so I was bringing it in... It came in, and in, and then did a beautiufl cartwheel. If you listen closely, you can hear Weazilla's snort of emotional support... (in the video it seems the snort comes first, not sure why the sound is faster than the video, I thought light was supposed to be faster.)

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i53/photohikedive/Radio%20Control/AP%20and%20AV/?action=view&current=S5000248.flv

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM

If you fly, you crash. There isn't anybody with an RC airplane, who has flown it, that hasn't put at least one into the ground. Sure, you'll run across the guy who says he's never crashed before, but you can be sure he's lying. It's like someone saying they've never picked their nose. Everyone does, some just don't do it as often as others....

Not all of them are plane shattering. Some just require a little tape, or glue to get you airworthy again. Some leave nothing but garbage bag filler when they're done.

It's like someone saying they've never picked their nose. Everyone does, some just don't do it as often as others....

So, pick a favorite crash, maybe one that teaches a lesson, and write about it here. It will feel good, I promise.

ONE of mine was fairly recent, and a little painful. I was at Hodge's Hobbies, all excited to fly my recently maidened E-Flite P-47 at the field of fields. I had a crowd of fellow flyers around me. All people who were salivating for the chance to write about my impending aerial disaster.

Well, they didn't have to wait long. I checked the controls, everything moved, I gave it a toss, it climbed and it rolled left, I tried to correct, and it rolled harder left, into the ground. Crunch!

Let this be a lesson to you kids... Just because the controls moved, doesn't mean you checked them. Sometimes they are reversed, and that doesn't make for an easy to fly plane.

Fortunately it was just a damaged cowl, and a lossened motor mount. A little but of cutting and hot glueing, and servo reversing... and she was back in the air.

This is the very reason i NEVER fly over areas where if the plane crashes, I am damaging persons or property, you don't know if a servo, inteference, tornado beamed in from hell etc. can simply show up. Use discresion where you fly guys and expect the worse, even if the worse is explaining how you are going to pay to fix a dent in some guys 100k porsche..........

FlyingMonkey
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
This is the very reason i NEVER fly over areas where if the plane crashes, I am damaging persons or property, you don't know if a servo, inteference, tornado beamed in from hell etc. can simply show up. Use discresion where you fly guys and expect the worse, even if the worse is explaining how you are going to pay to fix a dent in some guys 100k porsche..........

Where's your crash story?

buzkil
10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Just got a brand new wattage p47 thunderbolt. Spent a week putting her together making sure everything was just right. When I got finished setting her up all I could do is look at her and think to myself, "what a beutifull plane." So I wasn't going to rush out and go maiden her right away. Wanted to wait till the weekend so I could do it in private. Well the weekend finaly came and I took her out to the park. I was so nervous to see her maiden that I rechecked everything to make sure all was right. Took a deep breath and said ,"ok this is it." Slowly gave her throttle, let her roll about 20' and gently pulled her up. "She's up!" About 4' up I decided to make a slow climbing right turn. All of a sudden she starded twitching so I decided to bring her back level and land her. Cut back the throttle, gave her left eleron, she went level then keep rolling to the left and nosed into the ground. As I dropped my head in shame and stared at my controler wondering what went wrong. It's then that I realized that I didn't extend my antenna and my plane lost radio contact and held the last input.

I guess there is a first and last time for everything. Never again!!

She's not a loss and plan on remaidning her when I get time to repair her.

Lieutenant Loughead
10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
The other major loss was my Alfa Mig 15, I was doing an early morning(6am) test flight at a park... Turns out I was making a good racket and it was a bit too early to be on afterburner, some people complained but I had already solved the problem, policeman was pretty nice about the whole thing.Part of me says I would have called the cops too. Another part of me says anyone who buys a home near a park, school, or any other public gathering place just has to deal with things like that. :o

I'm trying to figure out what happened when I look down and wonder why my antenna isn't extended, when I look over and see that his is extended, whereupon I realize that last takeoff I grabbed the slave and he grabbed the master, and since he was doing the takeoffs, that one time, we forgot to do the normal trainer/slave check, so I was sitting and holding the trainer button on the slave xmitter the whole time.Ouch! :(

It's then that I realized that I didn't extend my antena and my plane lost radio contact and held the last input.Double ouch! :(

This is the very reason i NEVER fly over areas where if the plane crashes, I am damaging persons or property, you don't know if a servo, inteference, tornado beamed in from hell etc. can simply show up. Use discresion where you fly guys and expect the worse, even if the worse is explaining how you are going to pay to fix a dent in some guys 100k porsche..........Hindsight is 20/20... Speaking of that, I have another story for you guys... This one isn't mine, but I know the guy who did it...

Backstory: I used to fly in a vacant field next door to my office. It was great, I could fly before work, at noon, and after work -- just about EVERY DAY. I met all kinds of people who were interested, but I never saw them again; with the exception of these two guys... Both worked at the same company, and we ended up being flying buddies -- flying in the same vacant field next to my office (sort of a mini-club, if you include the people from MY office)... Anyway, it turned out that there was a THIRD guy at their office who was interested in learning to fly...

We tried to tell him to buy something without a lot of power -- something like a Slow Stick. He elected to buy a GWS Tigermoth, and stuff a Himax 2025-4200 in there... We helped him build it, and tried to give him pointers...

The day of the maiden came. I more or less BEGGED him to let me hook up my buddy box -- he refused, saying things like, "Sink or swim..."

He launched, and seemed to have no concept of throttle control -- he was at 100% throttle the entire time. He circled, looped, and somehow managed to climb higher and higher. The loops were getting tighter, and the airplane was traveling faster, when one of the wings snapped -- it looked like a big "L" in the sky...

We all stood there, watching his airplane fall from about 200 feet -- spinning increasingly and more tightly. There's nothing we could do. Someone laughed. The airplane disappeared behind a building, on the other side of the business complex.

So, these three guys get in the pilot's car, and set out to find the lost airplane. They see the wreckage in a parking lot, just behind a BRAND NEW PORSCHE -- the car still had paper tags on it, and the airplane had missed the back bumper by about 12 inches!

One guy (not the pilot) gets out of the car first, and a woman (who was smokeing on the front porch of the office building) said, "Are you the pilot?" With that, the guy literally SLID back into the car, and shut the door as quietly as he could.

The pilot gets out of the car, and retrieves his airplane. Having hit the concrete parking lot, the airplane was completely destroyed. The 3s 2100 mAh Thunder Power LiPo battery was mangled. The prop adapter looked like a .45 slug, after hitting a brick wall -- it was all mushroomed out, and contained concrete debris that it picked up from the parking lot. I am CERTAIN it would have punched a hole in the trunk of that Porsche, if it had hit it...

Several months later, I was talking with those same three guys... One of them made a comment about losing an eye, and I asked what he meant about that... It turns out, the pilot who crashed the Tigermoth had lost an eye as a child -- the man has a glass eye, and no depth perception!

Who knew? :confused: ????

buzkil
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Was bored one day and decided to take my T-rex 450SE to my front yard and fine tune the revo mix. I forgot that I had cycled my TX battery on my primary TX and it had no charge. So I switched out a battery with one of my other TX that showed it had full voltage on it. Took my T-rex to the front yard and proceeded to fine tune the revo. Flew some circits around the front yard then brought in front of me for some hovering. Had it about eye level when all of a sudden it started to slowly yaw to the left. I tried to correct but it wasn't responding so then I tried to land it, that didn't work either. All I could do is watch it slowly make a half circle around me and start picking up forward speed and a little alt. Thought to myself "Well there goes my heli." Lucky for me one of my wax gum trees caught it from makeing a hasty excape. It only sufferd minor damage, I have plenty of spare parts so it was no big deal. It seems that the first glance at the TX battery showed a full charge but it realy wasn't and I didn't bother to look at it again. What I can't understand is why the low battery alarm didn't go off, or if it did, why couldn't I hear it. I'm just glad that it didn't happen when I was adjusting the UP revo mix. I would have lost my little expesive heli.

bsoder
10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
What I can't understand is why the low battery alarm didn't go off, or if it did, why couldn't I hear it.

If the heli wasn't that far away, it probably was loud enough to prevent you hearing the alarm. Air is noisy when you're beating it into submission. :)

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Where's your crash story?

Where do I start, man, I have flown so many new creations, I could write a novel on the art of crashing. Instead of a story, I'll show a vid, this is what happens when your plane is too nose heavy, preventing you from flairing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4amaQR8gE

I did have a classic, wing half fell off mid flight on a scratch build, I didn't reinforce how it joined together and pushed it too hard banking. 100 feet in the air and all I do is watch it spiral down into the dirt.

Lieutenant Loughead
10-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Dude -- that wasn't a crash. That was a "normal landing" around here... :rolleyes:

bsoder
10-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Cutting big holes in the wings on a GWS corsair to add retracts just leads to heartache, despair, and snapped wings when you try to pull out of that powerdive. Can you say "lawn dart" :)

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Dude -- that wasn't a crash. That was a "normal landing" around here... :rolleyes:

It was intentional taking it down, so more of a rough landing, nothing broke.

Saucerguy2
10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Cutting big holes in the wings on a GWS corsair to add retracts just leads to heartache, despair, and snapped wings when you try to pull out of that powerdive. Can you say "lawn dart" :)

I see a new avatar in your future, hehe.

efinkg
10-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Nuts
Ya know, I'd a thunk that someone who went to Shakespeare's place of birth would be capable of spelling his name correctly, although I agree it's not much to look at.

NUTS
10-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Ya know, I'd a thunk that someone who went to Shakespeare's place of birth would be capable of spelling his name correctly, although I agree it's not much to look at.
Ah the Spelling Police. What would we do without them.

Regards,
Nuts

FlyingMonkey
10-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Ah thr Spollin Poleese. Whut wud we do wothowt them.

Regards,
Nuts

wow, some people need more policing than others, obviously...

Airhead
10-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Flying Buddies?

hmmm, none of the above.
Their Pals....;-)

FlyingMonkey
10-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Their Pals....;-)

They're...

Airhead
10-13-2007, 02:45 AM
opps.. Couldn't it be their? Like, together...ownership...uh.....nevermind. I'm just digging myself a hole..

FlyingMonkey
10-13-2007, 02:57 AM
their is possesive...

use the 're as in we're, they're, you're

when you could also use we are, they are, and you are.

Lieutenant Loughead
10-13-2007, 03:32 AM
HOLY SPELLING BEE, BATMAN! :eek:

Biplane Murphy
10-13-2007, 04:02 AM
NUTS + Flying Monkey = Buddy Box Buddies........:Q

bsoder
10-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Thread's over, move along...

NUTS
10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
wow, some people need more policing than others, obviously...

Evening Fred

Love what you did with the quote:D

Nuts

NUTS
10-14-2007, 01:56 AM
NUTS + Flying Monkey = Buddy Box Buddies........:Q
Buddy Boxes, Hate them. I would rather just be in arms reach.

Nuts

FlyingMonkey
10-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Evening Fred

Love what you did with the quote:D

Nuts

yeah, well....

threads off the tracks, over the cliff, down the hill and into the river, might as well break out my rubber ducky

gfdengine204
10-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Crashed my delta today, broke the prop. Again. I got a total of .2 seconds of flying time. Took it to work so I could go after, gee that worked out well. Didnt have any spares with me. Didnt exactly expect to crash that soon.....

VeiwSonic
10-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Well like all people before a flight I was buzzing with excitment. My pre-flight check consisted of a range check, and the movement of all control surfaces on my E-go Cessna 182. I felt the wing, as the previous day when I had crashed, I mean, landed? had broken the mount for the wing off. It was a little bit flimsy, but I launched anyway.

I had a few spectators, albiet a few mildly interested dog walkers. I buzzed arounda few times, feeling a bit more confident and then noticed the wing shaking a bit. I dived, and then pulled up for a loop....

THE WING FELL OFF!!! and it slowly fluttered to the ground. While the fuse thundered into the ground....

Heres the damage:sad:

FlyingMonkey
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks for steering us back on topic....

VeiwSonic
10-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Haha well I think it was lack of steering on my part:(

TAUMULLER
10-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Flying my multiplex funjet , 2nd or 3rd flight . Had crashed 1 week ago on lauch and busted the nose, repaired it ... I checked all the controls, everything in good shape, threw it hard on launch, seemed to have a really hard roll to left when throttled up . Trimmed it out so it flew fairly straight. Was doing pretty good , high speed low altitude passes , speed around 80 mph or more , I figured one more lap around . On the next pass she started to get really squirrley , I pulled up and turned left , in the next second it just went straight in , it hit so hard that the nose was stuck 1 inch in the dirt. The motor basically just blasted thru the whole air frame ripping the whole plane apart .....

Took the whole mess home, powered up had the tone from the speed controller and motor but no servo movement.. Finally after playing around with thr rx , I found that the crystal went bad!!!!.

Never had that happen before. Was using a berg rx and crystal.
The only good thing about wrecking the foam airplanes , is that you get a reason to build another one, the electronics usually survive, foam is cheap.....

Now i have a new fun jet , and yes I upgraded it , now I think it does 100mph ....

Got to love this hobby....

VeiwSonic
10-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Haha 20 more mph to get out of???? trouble:)

Saucerguy2
10-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Well like all people before a flight I was buzzing with excitment. My pre-flight check consisted of a range check, and the movement of all control surfaces on my E-go Cessna 182. I felt the wing, as the previous day when I had crashed, I mean, landed? had broken the mount for the wing off. It was a little bit flimsy, but I launched anyway.

I had a few spectators, albiet a few mildly interested dog walkers. I buzzed arounda few times, feeling a bit more confident and then noticed the wing shaking a bit. I dived, and then pulled up for a loop....

THE WING FELL OFF!!! and it slowly fluttered to the ground. While the fuse thundered into the ground....

Heres the damage:sad:

That damage is so severe, it's a work of art at this point, good job !!! :)

FlyWheel
10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, this is my "crash story" I finally got comfortible enough with the AB3 I bought to learn how not to crash, in that I have learned how to fly it without crashing. Unfortunatly, what I had not yet learned was how to shoosh off hyper-active club members who talk me into flying this light aircraft in winds that are too strong for it, at least not at my current skill level. "Yeah, but the only way you're going to learn how to fly in the wind...". :roll:

Well, now I know that one way is to fly a plane that can better handle the wind.

I was doing Ok for a while, when an unexpected gust rammed it into the ground. The reinforced wing held up, and everything else looked Ok, so I threw it back up, only to have it spiral right back into the ground again. Tried again, this time without her heading into the ground again, but I couldn't trim it enough to fly it with any amount of comfort. I had to manhandle the sticks just to keep it level. This with full trim! so I brought it down to a controlled crash (meaning I landed in the tall grass outside the landing area and bounced).

Well, it seems that one of the crashes had buckled the pod where the boom attaches, and for all my efforts, I can not rebend it into any shape that would let me trim the tail into an angle that will let the plane fly anywhere near straight. So I decided she has done her duty, and it's time to put her out to pasture. Once I am able to find an appropriate TX, I'll be able to get the EZ* together, and she should be a good replacement anyway. Who knows, I may even be able to use some of the hardware on the ABby for the construction of the E.

All this was my fault, of course. I knew I shouldn't have been flying. Now I know to resist the "wise words" of those who it seems have forgotten their own learning experiences. (insert "D-oh" here...:red:)

Alpea42
12-19-2007, 01:30 AM
AH where to start so many crashes so little time.And nobodies posted for almost 2 mo.Reading all of u guys postings brings back so many memories.Since some of yours were on nitro planes I'll start with one of those.Was flying a OS max 25 fsr Talon T 38 Thunder Power or Pilot ARF.In a parking lot of course.Doing really good looking stall turns to keep it close (this was befor there was any such thing as 3 D flying) anyway I was in the groove even my flying buddie said looking good and u never get a compliment from them.Gettin low on fuel set up for a short field landing looking sweet ,holding a lot a elevator to slow it down, tip stalled the right wing she rolls over inverted and skids to a landing on her back.Now thats a fancy crash landing.:rolleyes:

Neko
12-19-2007, 04:29 AM
My first experience in RC was building an electric version of a Goldberg Eagle with NiMH cells about 10 years ago. My first plane. My first build. I poured love into it. 4th flight, I did a loop and the wings ripped off. The fuse did a lovely arc straight into the ground. The wing gently fluttered into the trees. I, with no more time to build, left the sport.

But, says I to myself, I've never lost a plane to pilot error, only structural failure. Then this summer when I got back into the sport and I related my story to a veteran at the club, he allowed as how maybe next time lay off the throttle at the bottom of the loop. Hmmm.

Larry Goodhew
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, I am new to the hobby and have a few flights on a slow stick at the local club. My daughter (11) wanted to try her hand at flying so one of the experienced members was helping her and she flew around up high for a while and then he had her do a loop. Worked fine so they did several more and then the wing went fluttering off on its own and the rest of the plane went straight in from about 300 feet.

It snapped off the prop blades and went far enough into the dirt to stand there on its own and wait for us to show up. The prop shaft was bent, the motor mount was bent, the lipo smashed into the back of the motor mount and puffed and one of the servers stripped.

It turns out it is considered good form to change out the rubber bands that hold the wing on fairly often.:roll: I had the same set on it for about 2 and half months.

So..., I need to get some parts ordered so we can get back to flying!

Larry

Sharkykzn
12-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Well as often as we all deny admitting to trashing a plane... it is only really our own fault.

I had the following experiance with a Art-Tech Christen Eagle, which had served me well for nearly a year, that was before the "Best before Crash By Date" came up.

I had taken her out on a perfect morning, (maybe too perfect). As usual dropped the kids at school, wife at work and made a turn at the local cricket oval where I normally fly. Did a few flights with my Cessna 182 as a warm up, then took the Christen Eagle up, did a few laps, adjusted trim etc, then put her up for some decent air time. Don't think I have ever had her so well set up before, Yeah you know what is coming....::o

Climbed up to a comfortable altitude, and started with a large outer loop, plane was at 12 o'clock inverted, when a object ejected from the underneath, plane completed the loop, and then with shock, realised the battery was the out of place item, but also by then was only connected by the Deans Ultra connector for another nano second, before that also took seperation.

Well as the power pack was beating the plane to the ground, I was now experiancing the ultimate 'Dead Stick' scenario. With zero options but watch my trusty Christen Eagle plummet, nose heavy towards terra-firma.

I was too far way to try and make a diving catch even. Well I think that sound of EP hitting ground will be with me for a while.:{

After gathering the courage to approach the gravity slain plane, gathered my pride, along with the broken plane, with my other plane and made that long walk back to my car.

Well the damage was not as bad as I had thought, lower wing cracked, wing struts seperated from fuselage, nose of fuselage shattered but re-buildable, cowling still intact - surprised. Main shaft of out runner slightly bent. And the 3s lipo after being observed a few days showed no sign of puffing. Has been used since without problem in another plane. I have repaired the Christen Eagle, and with the help of a lathe repaired the motor shaft as well. Ok, still yet to re-maiden her thought.

Cause of all this heartbreak, basically the loss of the battery, thrown from the plane with excessive G's during the loop. Have noticed the plastic hatch on the plane has a basic clip to close. With the combined force and weight of the battery pack, easily pops open.

Cure, has been to add a velcro (hook and loop for other countries) strap to secure the battery door, and take the added precaution of using a zip tie around the Deans connectors so they can't be seperated by anything but me.

Pics below show the damage I was fortunate to get away with. Suppose if it had been a balsa craft I would be selling match sticks.

Like mentioned all planes will crash, not IF, but WHEN...

Alpea42
12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I've landed a couple with battery hanging by a plug.All out of balance fingers crossed

Lieutenant Loughead
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I've landed a couple with battery hanging by a plug.All out of balance fingers crossedI'm a member of that club as well! :eek:

Sharkykzn
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I've landed a couple with battery hanging by a plug.All out of balance fingers crossed

I was not as fortunate, hence the new added practice of adding a zip tie around the connector to give me a fighting chance should the battery pack ever pop again. ;-)

At least one can 'try' and rescue the plane, rather then be totally helpless and watch the plane do what gravity normally reserves for helicopters. I was even considering using Rx packs after this, but weight was an issue, and was also overcome when 'acceptance' kicked in that such events WILL happen.

Biplane Murphy
12-20-2007, 07:13 PM

I belong to that club as well.....

Flying my Great Planes Fokker DVII.....went for a few inverted passes....Battery came out of the hatch....:<:

Flpped her over and came in for an immediate landing.....went great untill the very end when the battery went under the wheels and acted like a wheel chock.....Causing a nose over.....No Damage......

Velcro cured that problem.....:)

Lieutenant Loughead
12-20-2007, 08:42 PM
...rather then be totally helpless and watch the plane do what gravity normally reserves for helicopters. I'm a member of THAT club too! :mad:

Sharkykzn
12-21-2007, 04:03 AM

Well it isn't pretty at present, as the velcro strap goes completely around the fuselage, at same time covers the problem battery hatch, will more then likely move it into the battery compartment, anchored with a foam block glued onto the inner surface of the fuselage, hence acting like a 'seat belt' for the lipo, and will also be out of sight.

hondo33
12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
"The sky, unlike the sea, is less forgiving, of the slightest mistake"

Author unknown

Airhead
12-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I belong to that club as well.....

Flying my Great Planes Fokker DVII.....went for a few inverted passes....Battery came out of the hatch....:<:

Flpped her over and came in for an immediate landing.....went great untill the very end when the battery went under the wheels and acted like a wheel chock.....Causing a nose over.....No Damage......

Hey Chris,
glad to hear that you got away with little or no damage. I've damaged quite a few I'm :o to admit. A lot of beginner mistakes. I'd like to think I've moved up from beginner to novice but I don't think I've hurt enough aircraft yet.. ::o

Sharkykzn
12-23-2007, 06:55 PM
"The sky, unlike the sea, is less forgiving, of the slightest mistake"

Author unknown

Don't know about that. I would rather walk 200 meters to recover my plane, then dive two fathoms to recover my boat:ws:

gearz
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Well...if where gonna play darts. $50 to the first person who darts the monkey. (must be an AMA member to cover all medical)

Biplane Murphy
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey Chris,
glad to hear that you got away with little or no damage. I've damaged quite a few I'm :o to admit. A lot of beginner mistakes. I'd like to think I've moved up from beginner to novice but I don't think I've hurt enough aircraft yet.. ::o

Believe me.....I have a PILE of dead airplanes.....I have saved most of them.....the pile is quite large....Most of them died when I was trying something new and crazy while low to the ground.....now I try all new aggressive or crazy manuevers on the G3.5 SIM first....that cut the plane killing down to a reasonable level....now things like equipment failure or Low Voltage Cutoff are the culprits for damage to my planes.:)

vax6335
12-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Rather than write a long story, I'll just give some advice.

Before you throw your new E-Flite Yak into the air, and let it get all the way to the other side of the flying field, all the while thinking "Aileron response doesn't seem to be that great on this thing", make sure you screw the aileron servo arms to the servos!!!!!

Otherwise you will be watching it spiral into the ground, and be sure to bring a trash bag.

....didn't figure it out till I was looking it over in the car, thinking "where are the servo arm screws....???"

Compstall
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Earlier last year I was flying one of my planes that had a previous crash. I had been flying it several times after the crash and I knew the wing was slightly creased towards the center but it seemed to be holding up just fine. Well after one good hard loop, or attempted loop at the bottom of a nose dive that wing folded up like a book on me and down she went from about 300 ft. up in the sky. :D

buzkil
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
About 2 years ago I bought a Hanger 9 mustange PTS. I had it all set up, motor fairly broken in, I took it to my parents place in Texas for the 4th of july for it's madien. They have about 23 acers in the middle of nowhere with 2 pasters cleared of trees. I selected the big paster with obout 15 acers on it to do my madien. The problem was, I had to take the riding lawn mower to cut out a runway out of the 3' high weeds. Well after I did it I noticed that I couldn't get the weeds low enough for a smooth runway. So I decided to just taxi the plane around to see how well it ground handles and to see if I could find a smooth enough strip out of what I cut that I could use. Well I managed to find a piece, so i pulled the plane back to the starting point, gave it full throttle and up I went. I did a few laps, some rolls and a couple of loops, this plane really flew well. It's then that I realized, I only put a 1/4 tank of fuel in!! I was in a hurry to get it down. I set up my landing and the plane seemed to float on in. This was going to be a good landing I thought, till I noticed that I over shot the smooth ground and was going to land in the weeds. I'll do a quik low turn around and bring it in again. I gave it a little up elevator and goosed the throttle, the motor immedeitly died. The plane was level and fell like a rock about 4' up, into the weeds. I walked to go asses the damage. The plane looked good, no damage!! I quikly brought it back to the start point, top of the tank, started and tuned the motor and was ready to take it up again when I noticed that one wing was lower that the other. It seems that the brace that holds the fixed gear had broken off inside the wing but the plane still ground handeld pretty well so I was going to put it in the air. Got it up and flew for a while, man this plane handled well, I better bring it in and check the fuel status. Found my glide slope and was binging it in nice and slow, this is going to be the best landing ever. Ok, I cleared that tree time to nose it down and set up to land, no wait I'm behind the tree abort, turn, to late. It clipped the very edge of my port wing and sent my plane on a nose dive spiral from 11' from the ground. Damage... Broken prop, cowling and a snapped fuse behind the cocpit. I felt like gorge of the jungle..." Watch out for that tree!!"