PDA

View Full Version : Align 75 amp ESC TOO HOT!

Bob M
10-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Any of you that are flying the Trex 600 with the 75 amp ESC are probably having the same problem I was...not enough air flow to keep the ESC cool. I was over heating the ESC after as few as 3 minutes in 95 degree weather. I was about to machine up a giant heat sink to mount the troublesome device in, when a little light bulb went on over my head. I dug through a bunch of old parts I had salvaged from obsolete computers, and found a small axial flow fan. To test my idea, I just tied it to the bottom of the ESC (the side with the fins) and made up a jumper wire that allows me to plug the fan in to the balance connector of the battery. The first test flight was almost too good to be true! I burned a whole pack without a thermal shutdown from the ESC, and it was 97 degrees out! These little fans are available in 5 and 12 volt models and only use about 2 watts. You find them on-line. (I just Googled "computer fan" and came up with a bunch of sites that sell them) :D

leapfrog
10-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Nice solution to a pooky problem!

Adrian
10-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Here in the UK a couple of people have problems with Align ESC. it seems to be more a set up related problem rather than the ECS itself, Have a look about on the net & see how other pilots have set up the 600. I'm sure pinnion & throttle points are the main causes of this overheating problem.