PDA

View Full Version : new generation cells?

watt_the?!
11-22-2005, 08:01 PM
i am wondering, what are the differences between each geenration of cells.

it seems that the weights dont change much, or the form factor. But the discharge capacity seems to change..although alot slower in the last 12 months.

what are the intrinsic differences between the last gen and this gen's lipo cells?

i mean, what has changed from the 6C to the 20C cells. Is it the chemistry? if so, what?

and if it isnt, what has changed to now deliver higher C?

some manufacturers have ''lighter'' cells..... how?

Tim.

BlueMagic
11-25-2005, 01:03 AM
I just purchased a new 15-C 20-C burst Thunder power and from what i can see is the peek power output is constant from the start of the flight to the point where the battery is dead the older pack had a burst of power right as soon as i punched it but dropped performance after just a few seconds and as the pack would get ussed that burst was weaker and weaker. I fly a trubute with a E-flight 370 1360KV outrunner brushless and a 20 amp e-flight ESC first pack was a gws 6-c 1300mah the 2nd was a Kokam 1500 8-10c this pack was heavyer than the gws but it hovered better but still lacked any pull out with this plane I finaly got a Thunder power 1320 mah 7.4V 13-c 20-c burst thats 17 amp 27 amp burst battery weighs as much as the GWS and will still punch a whole in the cieling even at the end of the flight time 12-18 min flights depending on the time i hover with a 10 X 4.7 prop Im unsure of the draw im getting i dont have an amp metter yet been to bussy buying the wrong batteries.

watt_the?!
11-25-2005, 06:12 AM
yes, b ut what are the physical differences....i.e. are the tabs larger, what is the new chemistry (if any)...

what im trying to find out is over the last 3 years, is it new chemistry, or are we paying for clever marketing but in essence the exact same product but tweaked?

ForestCam
11-25-2005, 06:15 AM
It's steroids, SHHHH!!!!
:D

timocharis
11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Tim,

I'll have to ask (one of the locals is tight on this) what the exact physical change is, but at least in the Thunderpower Prolites, the difference is less internal resistance. At least, that's all he said.

However, the implications are profound, of course. Why there's less resistance (chemistry, design structure, blah) I do not know. In practice, the PL does run longer than the equivalent Gen2, and hold its voltage at a higher level longer (my own tests).

So I'd say no, we're not just getting marketing smoke. Whether the advantage is worthwhile will be up to the buyer -- especially based on flying habits. Someone who runs 5c will probably see little difference. Someone who runs 10c will probably be quite pleased.

Dave