PDA

View Full Version : Eflite Park 400 Makes Strange Noise??!!

flyranger
11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
OK, this was the first outrunner I ever had, so I had no experience to measure it against. E-flite Park 400 outrunner. Runs at about 10 amps and works great. Got my second outrunner (cheap, from HongKong which also runs great) and found that the noise this motor makes when running is not "normal". It makes an electronic whirring sound. It starts up with a loud electronic "chirp" and shuts down with the same loud electronic "chirp". I thought it was created by the Castle Creations 25 ESC, but the same ESC is on the cheap HongKong outrunner and makes not a sound.
Curious yes? Anyone else experience this? Like I said, it runs great, but now I wonder....:(

Rugar
11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
OK, this was the first outrunner I ever had, so I had no experience to measure it against. E-flite Park 400 outrunner. Runs at about 10 amps and works great. Got my second outrunner (cheap, from HongKong which also runs great) and found that the noise this motor makes when running is not "normal". It makes an electronic whirring sound. It starts up with a loud electronic "chirp" and shuts down with the same loud electronic "chirp". I thought it was created by the Castle Creations 25 ESC, but the same ESC is on the cheap HongKong outrunner and makes not a sound.
Curious yes? Anyone else experience this? Like I said, it runs great, but now I wonder....:(

Its the version of the firmware you are using for the Phoenix ESC. If you have a Phx link try loading a different version until you find one that makes it run without the chirp. Not all versions of the firmware work well with all motors.

flyranger
11-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Hmmm....interesting. I did see when using the link cable, that the old firmware was listed. I was thinking about changing the timing adjustment, but I'll try your suggestion first. Many thanks.

Elfwreck
11-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey now, Part of it could be your ESC, but the whiring sound, that's not the ESC. Could be your bearings. As tough as these motors are after a few crashes, and we all crash, the bearings could get out of whack.
You could try a drop of oil on the bearing points, not that it would fix the problem though it could lesson it for now, but if you can get a new set of bearings (try the car guys at your LHS) it may just go away.
Hasd the same trouble, this fix worked.
RobII

flyranger
11-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Well, tried prior version of the software, no change. Still chirps on start and stop. Still whines ("I wanna go to Miami!" when running. Lubricated and flew for about an hour today on two different LiPos and had a great time, but the noise is strange.

Rugar
11-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, tried prior version of the software, no change. Still chirps on start and stop. Still whines ("I wanna go to Miami!" when running. Lubricated and flew for about an hour today on two different LiPos and had a great time, but the noise is strange.

Which versions have you tried? The old 1.021 version seems to work for me on outrunners as does version 1.161

Its so easy to experiment using the Phx Link, just keep trying different ones till you find one that works.

flyranger
11-28-2005, 12:08 PM
The software only gives me two choices on this CC25, 1.21beta (current version) and one version prior. Didn't make any difference which one I used.

Rugar
11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Hummmmmmm....... I can go from 1.021 to 1.22 on a Phx 10 and Phx 25 that I just tried, and from 1.11 to 1.22 on a Phx 60. All these ESC are spares I have sitting here. The Phx 25 is a little over a year old, but the Phx 10 and 60 are only a few months old. How old is your Phx 25?

flyranger
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
About five months old. I have another CC25 that is about 8 months old that shows a bunch of previous versions. Must have to do with the series of the chips when manufactured.

Rugar
11-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Maybe try your older Phx 25 with versions you can not get on your newer one?

Rugar
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
I just got the new style Phx 25 and tried to program it on my Phx link and see what you mean. Only two choices.

Elfwreck
12-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey now,
I still think you're looking in the wrong place. From the symtoms it really sounds like the bearings are shot. Had a friend with a PJS motor that did exactly the same thing several folks even thought it was the ESC. Changed out the bearings and that fixed it.
RobII