PDA

View Full Version : Guillows FW190 flies

Bill G
10-19-2007, 06:59 AM
After seeing 2 guys fly this plane on the forums, 1 of whom I gave one of my plan sets to, I figured I'd better put this thing up. Had it for at least 2 years. That's about average, for my maiden delays.:D

My only complaint is that I set too much right thrust, and it behaved just like my Cox190, before I corrected the excess right thrust that it had. The end result is that it makes it tailspin prone, especially at lower speed. I was lucky to recover, and then flew a bit faster. All in all, the flight was good. Plenty of power with TP3s-900 and Park 370 outrunner with GWS 9070 3-blade prop. At 12.5oz, it did not fly heavy or land fast. I guess at this point I'm so tired of hearing the "that's too heavy" types, after disproving it numerous time with a number of planes, that I'll just have to start stomping them out.:D

Rudder/elev was very controllable with ample dihedral. Tip stalls were non-existent, with several degrees of washout.

My buddy took the pic just after launch. Its a bit of a climber:eek: and got a bit of down elevator trim just after that. Could use a bit of negative elevator incidence, from the plan's setting. Didn't have stall worried fortunately, with the power from the 370 outrunner. Pretty much vertically capable.

BuzzardBait
10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
NICE!

I have a few gillows kits sitting in bopxes that are going to get built over the winter.. Some i;ve had for 20 years!!!

I get tired of the "its too heavy" thing too.. BUt.. the reality is that until just a few years ago... they were right!!! BL motors and Lipos have really changed things...

Then again..... think about it.. If you put a gillows "heavy" model up in the air that weighs 16 oz AUW and you're makin say 12 Oz of thrust.. that still isn't too bad from a "scale" viewpoint. You won't pull verticle very long and won't "hang it off the prop".. but.. a real fw190 never even dreamt of that!!!!!

There's a lot of peopl out there that have been spoiled by lipos and BL motor setups and think that anything under a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio is simply "too fat"!

Bill G
10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
NICE!

I have a few gillows kits sitting in bopxes that are going to get built over the winter.. Some i;ve had for 20 years!!!

I get tired of the "its too heavy" thing too.. BUt.. the reality is that until just a few years ago... they were right!!! BL motors and Lipos have really changed things...

Then again..... think about it.. If you put a gillows "heavy" model up in the air that weighs 16 oz AUW and you're makin say 12 Oz of thrust.. that still isn't too bad from a "scale" viewpoint. You won't pull verticle very long and won't "hang it off the prop".. but.. a real fw190 never even dreamt of that!!!!!

There's a lot of peopl out there that have been spoiled by lipos and BL motor setups and think that anything under a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio is simply "too fat"!
Very true. I think most commenters of "that's too heavy" are talking from the power standpoint, from previous experience with anemic nimh batts and brushed motors. I've been blown away by how well some of the very heavily loaded planes I have fly.

I intentionally got most of my skill flying underpowerd planes, which I think has made me a better pilot. Now that I'm flying more powerful ones, I'm spoiled.:D

constantCrash
10-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Is the plane fully sheeted? it looks very shinny in the first picture. (good to)

firemanbill
10-19-2007, 10:04 PM
That's very nice Bill! Great work!:D

Crash9
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
2 years, I thought I was bad at letting planes wait to long:o. Nice job on the plane Bill:).

Bill G
10-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the comments.
The plane is fully sheeted, except for the bottom wing. Gotta save weight somewhere.:D

I changed to a smaller Master Airscrew 7x4 and changed the thrust angles a bit. Should be better now.

Bill G
10-26-2007, 07:50 AM
3rd flight today. This plane is an obsession.:D When I first got into building planes 4 years ago, I saw the Guillows 190 box, had never seen a 190 before, and said to myself, "I want that plane, looking just like the one on the box, and to fly rc".

Little did I know at the time that it would be a long time coming.:eek:
This one is actually the second of these I built. The first was too heavy, so I had to build another. Finished the second 2 some years ago, and liked it too much to risk it. Finally, a flyer.