PDA

View Full Version : Better video of DARE DR1

watt_the?!
11-23-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.relexaustralia.com/DAREVideos/DAREDR1Riot.wmv

10mb

WWI Ace
11-24-2005, 01:35 AM
That is too cool!!! Was it hard to add the ailerons? The Dare kit doesn't have ailerons does it? That flew really well and the landing was great! Having a couple of tripes myself I know how "well" they handle on the ground. Also, did the original kit have dihedral. I ask because the wings on yours are flat. Steve.

watt_the?!
11-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Steve,

got rid of the dihedral and added the ailerons...not hard at all. in fact it was harder for me to do the dihedral on the tripehound for R/E only than to do the conversion to R/A/E for the flat wing.

Tim.

Franny
11-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi there,

Great video!

Can you give a little more detail on how you added the ailerons (servo placemen and such)? Would you recommend this kit or do you feel there is something better out there for about the same size?

Thanks,

Franny

Bigfoot21075
11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
WOW!! Looks GREAT! How was the assembly? I am also interested in your aileron mod!!

THANKS for the GREAT video!

watt_the?!
11-28-2005, 11:37 PM
It's a builder's kit..but everything is nice...laser cut etc. Being a builder's kit you'll need to to the aileron conversion yourself. The aileron servos are in each wing sitting on a piece of balsa. simple stuff really as the wing is built flat. (this is opposed to the dihedral in the 3 channel version which i think is more difficult).

im pretty happy with these models..the good thing is that they do fly very well with 3 channels, and are designed as such. We just converted them so they could do more ''stuff''.

ive posted a video of my sopwith tripe on 3 channel before and that flew well, even with every wing warped (bad build)...

these arent short kits either...i havent built any of the aerodrome ww1 models, so cant compare, only on price. I'd say they are on a par with them as one advantage outweighs the other and comes down to preference.

Tim.

WWI Ace
11-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey Watt. What is the power system you are using, motor, battery, ESC? Also, what servos are you using in the wings for the ailerons? I would appreciate the information. I just got a prototype kit from Aerodrome of a 20 3/8"ws Fokker Dr1. Has pull-pull setup with the rudder and ailerons tied to the same servo for rudder-aileron coupling. Steve

watt_the?!
11-29-2005, 05:29 AM
wing servos are hs55...one each.
motor is hyperion z2213-20
pulls around 13A WOT with 10x6 prop and 3s 1550 mah lipos.
ESC is hyperion 20A.

AUW around 21oz incl batteries.

Franny
01-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi Tim,

I'm currently building the Dare DR1 and I was wondering if I might ask a few questions?

What did you use for covering?
What wheels did you use - they look great
Did you paint the cowling?
Any major pitfalls to look out for?

Yours really looks and flies great! So, I'm assuming you built the DVII too? Super nice! Two stunning airplanes!

Thanks bunches!

Franny

Templars
02-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I really enjoyed both the Orf and Wagner - quite appropriate. Anyone know about the Dare Fokker DVII or DVIII? Also, I had the SIG foam DVII and though I'm not even an intermediate flyer, this plan was awful from the start.

scalercflyer
02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
WATT -the, I just won the DARE DRI on E-bay (got a good price too). :D I plan to eliminate the dihedral and add the ailerons just like you said. :D I absolutely HATE the oversized rudder. :eek: :mad: I am wondering if I install a scale sized rudder if it will fly OK. I assume so since I am not flying 3 channel setup. Can you supply photos/explain more about your modifications. Would be very interested. WWI ACE, tell us more about the AERODROME tripe. Martin

watt_the?!
02-13-2006, 12:04 AM
sorry guys i didnt know any replies were made to this thread...my apologies.

ok ill work backwards from the latest post to the oldest.

Martin...the dare rudder isnt oversize...maybe it is slightly, but nothing like the polk dr1 which has a huge oversize rudder (and it does nothing in flight).

my mate has a fixed rudder and it flies great (the dare dr1)...so no probs there...in fact why dont you just fix it?

i havent got a huge amount of photos of the mods, only some scattered closeups of the ailerons (pretty simple just draw the ailerons on the plan, make false leading and trailing edges as per any normal aileron installation and away you go.

Templars...i have the dvii and it flies more stable than the dr1, and is a hot rod too. i havea huge 12 x 6 prop on it. it doesnt like inverted much as it has a huge flat bottom airfoil. if you want a fokker, go for teh dviii. my friend has it and although he hasnt finished it, it is quite large.

Franny, covering is plain old tissue and dope. Paint is plain old water based acrylic- several coats..my friend used food dye to do his.

The wheels are standard foam type but sliced down the centre to make them thinner, and then a cardboard cone is simply stuck on with craft glue.

The cowling is painted with silver enamel by brush. I like the fact that with these models you dont really have to be totally neat...they are generally a bit rough...so any mistakes look like ''scale detail''..

Twmaster
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Wow Tim, that DR1 looks great in the air! Nicely done!

Franny
02-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Hi ScaleRCFlyer,

I am just finishing up my Dare DR.1... I Just got it covered this weekend. I built it flat with ailerons with a pull-pull control system for all surfaces. I modified the rudder a bit as well as squashing the fuselage at the tail. I have a build thread going at:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3570 I've been a little lax in posting; too busy building ;) Anyway, I have lots of photos too and I'll be posting them as soon as I can. I added the skids under the wings and a better tail skid as well as restoring the points on the front of the horizontal stab. I thought it was great fun researching the DR.1 and found lots of variation between the original pictures and the full scale replicas. I even went back and watched "The Blue Max" and "The Great Waldo Pepper" to get some ideas. I have to say that the DR.1 is my favorite aircraft… Best looks and, for its time, some of the most ingenious design work. Anyway... I'll try to get some more pictures up... Oh, take a look at that cowl... The original had two holes, not three and was flat along the bottom, not the inverted "U" shape shown in the plans. I plan to put the Dare radial kit in it and I bought a set of gun kits from http://wrightbrothersrc.com/our_kits/spandau.htm . I still have several hours to go, but it has been great fun! Printing out the insignias tonight.

Thanks, Franny

scalercflyer
02-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Franny thanks so much for the info on the threads! :D I have learned alot about the build from your thread and the one on RC Groups. I have bookmarked them both for reference. I plan to build mine with pull-pull systems too. I am not a fan of wire control runs either and this will be my first pull-pull system. I have enclosed a picture of the camo scheme I plan to use. It's from the Great Waldo Pepper movie. Hope you Guys like it!
Martin
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/1/1/2/38474.attach?q7SfMT4xpzx5YzcjMmfmBQD8AQgcoJSaMFHlE zcjMJp=

scalercflyer
02-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Check this site out Boys! Lotsa good stuff here. Check out the section on the pull-pull systems. Martin
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eatong/

scalercflyer
03-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Franny, I just got my kit in the mail ($34.00 on E-bay). :) I am going to need some materials before I start, but I do have a question. :confused: Is it better to use cable or Kevlar fishing line for the control runs (I'm thinking Kevlar). If so what pound test? I'm planning on using Polyspan to cover it, but you can bet it won't be another red tripe when I am done! :eek: Thanks for your reply. :) Martin

WWI Ace
03-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh I get it Martin. Just go ahead and twist the knife!! Ha! Ha! Good to hear your gonna do the "Pepper" scheme. Should look great!!! Steve.

modeldesigns
03-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi Tim,

Great looking DR1 and nice video. Now you have seen sound IS possible, how about getting an authentic engine sound into larger versions of these WWI machines?!

Any of the rotary powered prototypes would be ideal for a single, large speaker in the firewall and the DVII and SE5 would work well with speakers in the nose behind the grill.

All you need is a start-up, running and shut-down recording. Benedini will then mix those and programme them into the sound card. With two 4" speakers, amplifier/sound card and power supply the additional payload is 1-1/4lb.

Pete.

watt_the?!
03-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Pete,

This is exactly what i want to do. Hence my probing the gurus in the ''radial sound'' thread...

i bought the polk's dr1 and added a load of lead to it, but boight one of those sound units from some place in the US....$60 and wasnt throttle activated, no spool up, poor sound quality blah blah..

my aim is to find something that will fit into something smallish...one of my pet themes for electric is the ability yo swap around cells/packs etc for planes...so i try to not spec large setups for my fleet...

i.e. anything above 3s2p is getting a bit much for me...

any thoughts...you know of any 50 inch WW1 types that would suit a speaker setup?..i mean i could place it on the CoG...as long as the grunt was already there eh?

Tim

modeldesigns
03-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Tim,

I understand the attraction of smaller models and they are usually so practical with it.

I have seen 14 and 16 cell brushed motor conversions of the Flair Legionaire (Neuport) and Baronette (DR1) kits, both around 50" wingspan. Going LiPo with them you could exchange the weight loss with the weight of the sound system and with a single (4"-1/2" - 5-1/2"?) speaker on the firewall the balance point should be achievable. They flew originally on the first OS 40 four strokes (very low power) and weighed around 5lb from memory.

Pete.

Franny
03-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Martin,

I just used the Du-Bro Micro pull-pull system. It comes with plenty of line which I'm betting is Kevlar but I don't know. It also comes with the attach and crimp hardware so it is pretty much all you need. That line is way strong and I haven't experienced any stretching. That is the thing with fishing line... I think it streaches a bit and may not be so great with UV light (shouldn't be too bad inside the fuse). I actually used Al tubing as guides (light and smooth). I'll post some pictures on my build log this week. Things have been nutty busy, but it clears a bit this week...

Franny

CarreraGTSCS
04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Martin,
I have used very stout sewing thread on my lightweight parkfliers without issue. If I can find the digital photos of the installation I'll post them here. I have also used premade fishing leaders too on larger models. I'm flying a 3 lb Ben Buckle Fokker D VIII using them. It's a plastic coated wire, very thin and very strong and has swivels on the ends.
Regards,
Mike

scalercflyer
04-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Mike, how do you like the way the DVIII flys? :confused: Both WWI Ace and myself have come into possession of the kits. :) I noticed it has under cambered airfoil. Nice kit though. I absolutely love the idea of the fishing leads. :D I may use that myself in the near future (Steve are you paying attention?). The DVIII will be my late Summer/early Fall build. Tell me some more about your Ben Buckle DVIII build (motor, prop size, battery,etc). I am most anxious to hear about it. BTW, I have a huge WWI aviation reference library just in case you may need some help researching a particular subject. Martin

CarreraGTSCS
04-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Martin,
The D VIII is a great flyer, albeit in an altered state. I have never flow it with the wing and the fuselage together. I mounted the wing to my trusty GWS Slow Stick and it flew well but with a flat and fast glide and that with only about 9 oz of stick fuselage beneath it. I didn't think that this bode well for the much heavier and draggier (sp?) D VIII fuse. I was eager to fly the fuselage as well so I mounted the wing from my old Gentle Lady glider. It's a 2 meter wing with 660 or square inches of area. Flew great with the glider wing.

About the kit: Not really very scale but a nice stick build and very simple to modify while building for electric. You can omit lots of ply from anywhere but the cabane and LG areas. I had to go back and do this as I originally built it back in the 80's for glow power but never flew it. Now it weighs just under 3 lbs and uses a GWS EPSD 350 with a GWS 13x6.5 slow flyer prop and a 3s 2250mah MaxAmps lipoly. Uses standard size servos. I have removed the original tail group and replaced it with a 4mm Depron rudder/elevator group. My plan when I have the time is to cut a new wing of a slightly shorter length but of broad chord from foam for the D VIII. I like the way it flies now but I can't stand the bright yellow wing on it!

I'll post pics shortly. I plan to order the Model Airplane News plan from the Fokker D VIII build in the March 2005 issue. You may remember it as the 1/4 scale scratch build. I have an Astro 40 or 60 looking for a home.

Regards,
Mike

PS-- South Jersey? I'm just next to Princeton myself.

scalercflyer
04-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Mike don't do anything rash! :eek: I have a nice set of DVIII plans AND the original building article from Model Aviation news 1975. This is one big bird! :D 69" WS, 2 1/2" to 1 foot scale. It has a 9" cowl, 6 1/2" wheels, is stick built with a small area of balsa sheeting. I built the fuse years ago and never finished it (kids, school, jobs got in the way). I would be glad to copy them and send them to you if you wish. Let me know. I now am experiencing a new rebirth (time to build, etc :D ) of the hobby for me (have more time since my family is now grown and half of them are married (2 down, 2 to go!). :) Mike, I would love to talk to you one on one (only if you want, no pressure). PM me and I will give you my contact info. Martin PS I'm in Voorhees/Cherry Hill area.

scalercflyer
04-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Mike, Sorry year was 1978 for the DVIII plans. Here is a picture of the original build. :cool: Nice size huh? :D Martin. PS: I should build this darn thing....

http://www.modelairplane.org/plans/1977/203.jpg

CarreraGTSCS
04-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Martin-- Just ordered the Windsock Datafiles for the Fokker D VIII and the DFW T28 floh.
Mike

scalercflyer
04-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Mike, what do you think of the DVIII above? Plans are yours for the asking. Let me know. Martin

CarreraGTSCS
04-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Martin-- Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. I realize now that I answered this post on another thread! In any event. Let's get together when it warms up a bit. I usually fly alone so it would be fun to fly with someone. As for the plans, thanks for the offer but I have really been itching to build a 1/4 scale D VIII for a long time. I just sold my 1/4th scale Fokker Dr 1 kit to raise funds for this project.

So you never finished the D VIII? Go build that wing. Summer is fast approaching!

Mike

scalercflyer
04-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Mike, you must keep us up to date on the DVIII build! :D I hope you will consider a pull-pull system on it. :cool: It should be a great build. Any thought on the motor/battery combination yet? Prop size? Check with Alan Wright for some nice machine guns. What are you currently flying? Any preference on WWI aircraft (say you like German Fighters!)? Martin

WWI Ace
04-23-2006, 04:05 AM
Like my post over on WWI Warbirds says. Better put a detachable wing on the big DVIII so I can afford to get it shipped to Texas. I will have to re-cover the plane in red of course!!! Just kidding!!! Steve.

scalercflyer
04-23-2006, 08:12 AM
You're gonna get it Steve! Your DVIII kit just might contain a clipped wing version (real clipped)! Martin