PDA

View Full Version : E-Flight Cessna 182

Twmaster
11-23-2005, 10:30 PM
I just got back from my LHs with a the new E-Flight Cessna 182. What a nice ARF kit. The foam looks good and all the parts seem to be well made. It already has a steerable nose gear and the hinges and linkage installed and decals applied too. Does not include a motor. Requires 4 servos.

Not a bad buy for $65 .

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Well a follow on here. I just a bit ago got back from my LHS after buying all the goodies to finish the Cessna. I chose the 400 920kV outrunner to power it.

One thing I do not like about this plane is no decals on the wings. My model also has some damage to the surface of the wing from shipping. Otherwise for the price not a bad birdy so far. I will have it done and write a mini review with photos on Turkey Day (if anybody cares).

losi24
11-24-2005, 06:02 AM
i care...im looking for a plane to get for christmas and this plane caught my eye. im a sucker for a Cessna or a Cub. let me and everyone else who likes this plane know how the build is and how she flies!:)

losi24
11-24-2005, 06:12 AM
i still haven't decided 100% if i want this, but it looks great. Horizon is out of stock until late december:(

Will Hicks
11-24-2005, 01:32 PM
You might check out a Horizon dealer for availability. We have received three :D

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Photos and review coming later today. My LHS just got these on Tuesday and they have one left. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere I'd bet your LHS can get you one well before Christmas.

Ok, enough goofing off.... Back to building....

:D

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Well I am just about done assembly. To be honest I don't like this kit. I give it a C- on finish and components. The foam is nice looking but where it joins other bits of foam it is often rough. I think this is a product of poorly skilled people assembling these in whatever plant in China this comes from. The decals are poorly applied and the plastic parts are cut out as if a 5 year old was wielding the scissors. Additionally the routing of wires, installation of speed control just sucks. I had to add wire to every lead on the E-Flite ESC. I am not happy. I'll leave the rest of my commentary for later as I am too disapointed right now to have much charitable commentary to say about the plane. :(

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Well here are a couple of snaps I took this evening. I could not finish assembly due to some screwed up hardware that was included in the kit. Namely the control rod keepers that were not tapped to accept the set screw. I think E-Flite (Horizon Hobby) needs to make huge improvements in their quality control (if they care that is). I consider myself an average modeller. I can see a complete newbie being very frustrated with this kit. Also the directions are quite a bit different than what is actually included in the box. These instructions also could use a bit of clarification and additional details to make things go a bit smoother.

Anyhow on to some photos. These are without the wing struts attached as I am not done inside the cabin. Close up photos of the interior, engine area and more tomorrow.

The first two photos are just general outside shots of the bird. When you stand back it is a nice looking plane. The third shot shows the awful fit of the wing and the damage to the top of the wing from shipping. The poor fit is a common feature in this kit. :(

WWI Ace
12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I couldn't wait for this kit and now that I have it I'm not so sure I should have bought it!!! I also had shipping damage on my wing, the decals are already trying to come off, my ailerons are hinged crooked, and I had to remove the wheelpants and drill new holes in them because they were put on at so bad an angle that the plane sat on the pants instead of the wheels!!! I'm not crazy about the way the plastic parts look either. They are poorly cut out and assembled. My front wheel also has a flat spot in it because of the way it was packed. I sure hope this thing flies better than it was assembled!!! They will have to do alot of improvements before I buy another foam plane from them!!! And according to my wife, I buy alot of planes!!!!!

Twmaster
12-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Ace, That is about 50% of my complaint list.

WWI Ace
12-08-2005, 02:14 AM
I emailed Horizon about the problems and asked for a reply. Any bets on whether they answer or not? I'm sure that I'll be dismissed as just another non-builder that created these problems myself, but I had to try. I've also built quite a few planes so I know it isn't our assembly skills! I cut a wedge from a styrofoam plate to fix the wing gap. I just hope enough of the balsa tab on the leading edge is in far enough that I don't lose the wing in flight!!! I'll really be chapped if it comes apart in the air with all my equipment and a lipoly in it!!! I told them that others were having these problems also. Maybe they'll do something about it. Steve.

Twmaster
12-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Ooooh. Darn it when the -obvious- is staring you in the face.

What am I blathering on about?

EMAIL.

I will be emailing Horizon tomorrow.

qban_flyer
12-08-2005, 03:21 AM
I emailed Horizon about the problems and asked for a reply. Any bets on whether they answer or not? Steve.

Based on a friend of mine's experience with them last year? I wouldn't hold my breath for long! :o

WWI Ace
12-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Yeah, like I said, I'm really not expecting a reply. If I hear something I'll let you guys know. Steve

WWI Ace
12-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Horizon contacted me today. They said that I could send it in with a copy of my receipt to product support and they would check it out. I've already built it and flown it since I emailed them. It seems to fly fine but I landed in a parking lot and it ran over a clump of grass and broke the front wheel pant. It shattered like a piece of glass!!! Reinforce this for sure!! I asked if they could just send the replacement parts. Probably won't but I tried. Let you know what happens. Steve.

Twmaster
12-10-2005, 03:51 AM
I am still awaiting a reply from Horizon. Perhaps if enough people complain....

Bob Cosby
12-10-2005, 02:44 PM
WWI ace...the wheel pants on my E-Flight Cessna were WAY off too - to the point that I had to do the same thing. However, after one flight, I decided to change over to 2" foamies with no wheel pants. It doesn't look quite as nice, but will now handle grass and "bumpy" landings much, much better.

Good luck to you.
Bob

debhicks
12-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I have always had good customer service from Horizon as a customer and a dealer. As I usually will fix the customer up here, then call Horizon and get the replacement part sent to me. Keeps the customer happy and they come back. My replacement part is usually in my hands within 3 days.

Sorry to hear about that Cessna. It's pretty. I hope it's just a fluke because I have 3 of them to sell.

qban_flyer
12-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Horizon contacted me today. They said that I could send it in with a copy of my receipt to product support and they would check it out. I've already built it and flown it since I emailed them. It seems to fly fine but I landed in a parking lot and it ran over a clump of grass and broke the front wheel pant. It shattered like a piece of glass!!! Reinforce this for sure!! I asked if they could just send the replacement parts. Probably won't but I tried. Let you know what happens. Steve.

Since you have already built it, flown it and landed it over a clump of grass breaking its frontal wheel pant, I won't blame them for not exchanging anything, though one never knows how far they might go on this one for you. :)

Hope they realize the quality of the Cessna and its packaging is not up to par. :o

Bob Cosby
12-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Debbie...might want to take a peek inside the boxes and look at the wheel pants. Mine were just like he described, so I suspect there are some issues there. It's an easy fix, but a bit frustrating to have to do it.

Bob

qban_flyer
12-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I believe they "may" have a packaging issue in their hands. So did H-9 with their 60 size Ultra-Stick (too many broken ribs in their wing panels). Lets face it, UPS doesn't handle these things with TLC, so a bigger box may be the solution to these issues.

When I bought my E-Flite Ultimate, I opened the box at the LHS to make sure everyting was OK. Out of four in stock, two had damaged fuselages. One had minor damage, the other one was more serious, so it got sent back by the LHS.

The other two were OK. I bought one of those. Great looking model. Great graphics, superb hardware, and excellent overall execution on the Ultimate Bipe. :)

Chazzman23
12-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I just happened to be passing by and noticed all of you buying the "foamie" Cessna 182 "skylane" from Horizon Hobbies and oced the grief.
I just purchased and received a Cessna Skylane, from "WORLD MODELS" it is a balsa covered model, superb in detail 41" wing span comes complete with every thing but radio gear $79.00. It is available from "Airborne Models" "www.airborne-models.com" I am going to look to see if it is on these forums, I know it is at "rcgroups.com" forum "parkflyers/world models cessna skylane" check it out it was featured in BACKYARK FLYER a couple of months ago.
sorry to but in your forum

E-Challenged
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
For the money, the model looks like about what I'd expect. I built an unpainted "slope version" of the GWS Zero warbird installing a small geared brushless motor and 1100mah lipo pack. I sanded away molding bumps, installed heavier wire landing gear, glassed the ailerons, added carbon fiber rods to stiffen wings and stab, had to enlarge battery hole and mount lipo pack through firewall, airbrush painted with acrylic craft paints, etc., etc.. It wouldn't have been much more effort and head-scratching to build a more sophisticated balsa built-up model. However, my Zero flies great and has been very durable. BTW, The new E-Flight P-47 is a nice looking and great flying model using the geared 480 motor provided in the kit for some $70.

I think that the problem is that many "foamy assemblers" lack necessary experience gained in building, balancing, and adjusting and flying built-up models and expect great nearly flawless design and production quality from $60 foamy in a fancy box. It doesn't often happen.

crxmanpat
02-28-2006, 02:35 AM
I have one of these that I bought from D&D Hobbies in January. Construction seems good, and I had no problems with assembly. I fly it with E-flite S75 sub-micro servos, a CC Thunderbird 18 ESC, an Esskay 400XT BL outrunner and 3S Lipo. Flies pretty well, has some speed, can do basic manuevers, and looks very scale at slow speeds. Lands nicely on a hard surface.

My only problems have also been with the wheel pants. I finally had to just cut off the nose gear pant as it tended to bind the nose wheel. It never was secured on there correctly. After the first couple of flights, it was beyond salvaging. I also agree that the plastic cowling is too thin. I have cracked it in several places, but it goes back together OK with packing tape.

All in all though, I still enjoy flying it.

Pat

Twmaster
02-28-2006, 03:18 AM
Mine still needs about 45 mins of work to be airworthy. I sure hope the S75 servos I used throughout the thing aren't troublesome (see THIS (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4841) thread)

I have to agree on two points. The pants look like they will get clobbered first less than perfect landing and the thing does look scale like from a little distance anyways.

We'll see how she flies when the weather gets better and she gets her maiden.

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 05:00 AM
So Mike, have you ever flown it? I know it can look like a dog on the ground close up, but it does actually fly quite nicely (or maybe it takes crashing and repairing it several times before it is "right" :p ).

I'm interested to see how you've faired so far.

Twmaster
05-04-2006, 06:43 AM
No haven't flown it yet. Every time I get it down to work on it I get mad at it and have to put it back before I just crumple the thing up and toss it.

:(

crxmanpat
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
So....what's left to do? With the standard radio gear and power setup, this kit usually goes together in about 2-3 hours max. I understand you have had a few problems with assembly regarding various things. Did you ever get an email response from Horizon?

Wow, I just went back and realized you have had this thing for 6 months!:eek: I would have gone crazy if I had an ARF sitting on the bench for that long sitting incomplete. I do hope you get it completed and fly it. It really is a pretty decent flying plane.

Edit: If you ever get tired of looking at it, and feel like trashing it, send it to me! I'll pay shipping! :p

Twmaster
05-05-2006, 04:55 AM
I never really had problems with assembly. My problems stem from this thing being a POS. And it pisses me off just about every time I look at|touch|think about the thing.

I may still throw it away. Yes, I hate it that much.

crxmanpat
05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I may still throw it away. Yes, I hate it that much.
It's a shame you feel this way. I really do enjoy flying mine, now that I have gotten the hang of it.

If you are serious about getting rid of it, please let me know. I'll gladly PayPal you the shipping costs to send it to me. I'll fly yours, and use my current one for spare parts.

planekiller
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
ive got this kit sitting waiting to be built any tips

Taylorman
10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I've got a few flight hours on my Eflight Cessna. It's a very enjoyable flier. It performs good rolls, Immelman turns and decent loops. I use an Eflight park 400 Outrunner, TP 3s 1320 (can't remember which Eflight ESC I put in it).

Since our club field is a grass field I took the wheelpants off to begin with. I think the plane is really meant for a paved runway, but I have no problem landing in the grass.

The build went easily enough, the only thing I had to do was relocate the button for attaching the wing brace on the Port side. This has been mentioned in several articles so I was prepared for it when building the kit. Other than that, no other problems w/the build.

I won't comment on the complaints previously in this thread, I just know I love the heck out of mine and bring it to the field everytime I go to fly.

afarrow
06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi folks...I just joined this forum. It looks like a great place to learn more about electric flight.

Anyway, I purchased the Eflight Cessna 182 about a year ago and finally got around to finishing it last week. I had the same build problems many have noted, like a misaligned wing, had to re-locate the port strut button, and drill out the rod ends to fit the thicker aileron pushrods.

As this was only my second plane and first aileron experience, I was a little nervous. I have longed dozens of hours on my RealFlight sim at home, so I felt ready to go. I started it out on the pavement and it lept into the air in about five feet. The Eflight outrunner moter had more than enough power. It climbed out nicely and I leveled it off. Time for a turn.

OOOOOPS! The ailerons were reversed!! Left is right and right is left. I panicked a little and thought about what to do. I brought it around to the left and behind me. I had trouble with the reverse orientation and let the nose drop too far...it came in and before I could correct it, it hit the ground and literally exploded into a dozen pieces. Complete loss of airframe.

I learned a valuable lesson about double checking the direction of the ailerons. Actually, I did check them, but the orientation was opposite of what I thought...a giant newbie mistake.

I'd almost like to buy this plane again, but with all the problems with fit and finish, I'm thinking about trying out the http://www.electrifly.com/speed400/gpma1156.html instead. I'll convert it to use the same brushless I salvaged from my Cessna.