PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Elevator Control Horn

Armound
11-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Slow Stick Elevator Control Horn has a Little Play in it. Had a Little Crash.
My Fault, Bad Hand Launch. :o What is the Best way to secure it better and eliminate the Play. It Still controls but sloppy. The play is parallel to the fuselage. No big tear or gap. I Have CA that says "White Foam Compatible." Thanks.

Armound :)

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Armound,

Make sure the backing plate (keeper) is still on the control horn. If not use the spare from the plastic parts tree that came with your SS. Push them together like in the instructions to be sure they are tight. If the CA you have is foam safe (sounds like it is) then glue the horn and the keeper to the elevator. That should fix your problem.

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Good advice by TW.

I use a really small dab of 5 minute epoxy on the horn before I put it through the slot on the moving surface, and also on the keepers supplied with them on many foamies, including the H/L Yak-55. They have a tendency to work themselves loose even under normal circumstances. :)

Armound
11-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Armound,

Make sure the backing plate (keeper) is still on the control horn. If not use the spare from the plastic parts tree that came with your SS. Push them together like in the instructions to be sure they are tight. If the CA you have is foam safe (sounds like it is) then glue the horn and the keeper to the elevator. That should fix your problem.

Oky Doky Mike, that is what I have done, used the spare keeper from the plastic tree.
The crash was my fault. :( Nose to high and the right wing was not level, so it Stalled. Thank goodness the wife Anna took video. Then I steped through the video frame by frame. Never have been good at hand lauches. Thanks Mike.

Armound:)

Armound
11-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Good advice by TW.

I use a really small dab of 5 minute epoxy on the horn before I put it through the slot on the moving surface, and also on the keepers supplied with them on many foamies, including the H/L Yak-55. They have a tendency to work themselves loose even under normal circumstances. :)

Hi qban, thank you for that suggestion also. Good idea, will do the same.I know I came to the correct Forum!:)

Happy Thanksgiving Guys..:)

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Happy to help. The SS is a great plane to learn with. Keep at it you'll get good at this sooner or later. :D

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Guys..:)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :)

flyranger
11-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Same thing happened to me. I used the supplied GWS glue to stick on the horns. Was flying set up for landing and all of a sudden, the Slow Stick decided to increase altitude by 10 ft! I fought it back down and found the control horn was loose. Threw away the GWS glue and used 5 min expoxy. No problems since then.

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I've never used the GWS 'adhesive' following the advice of many other modelers that found it not to be as effective as epoxy.

I also used epoxy to glue the two wing halves together after scuffing the two surfaces down with 400 sandpaper and cleaning them up with Isoppropyl alcohol. Using T/P Li-Pos, a H/L SK-400XT and a G/P SS-12 ESC has helped me keep its weight down to just under 11 ounces. :)

Armound
11-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Same thing happened to me. I used the supplied GWS glue to stick on the horns. Was flying set up for landing and all of a sudden, the Slow Stick decided to increase altitude by 10 ft! I fought it back down and found the control horn was loose. Threw away the GWS glue and used 5 min expoxy. No problems since then.

Hi flyranger, thanks for sharing experience with GWS Glue.
The instuctions don't tell you to glue the control horns which I thought was Strange. Oh Well, it is a learning experience.

Happy Thanksgiveing:)

Armound
11-24-2005, 06:10 PM
I've never used the GWS 'adhesive' following the advice of many other modelers that found it not to be as effective as epoxy.

I also used epoxy to glue the two wing halves together after scuffing the two surfaces down with 400 sandpaper and cleaning them up with Isoppropyl alcohol. Using T/P Li-Pos, a H/L SK-400XT and a G/P SS-12 ESC has helped me keep its weight down to just under 11 ounces. :)

Great info qban flyer. Love the photo of the Cat. Can't make up my mind on what kind of photo to use. Take Care.:)

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Great info qban flyer. Love the photo of the Cat. Can't make up my mind on what kind of photo to use. Take Care.:)

That S/S is something else.

Glad you liked "Ashey". He's quite a character. :D

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I think being feline automagically gives them 'character'! I know my cat, Fiona, is a nut.

Hehe, just wait until Armound puts a brushless motor on his SS... :D

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I think being feline automagically gives them 'character'! I know my cat, Fiona, is a nut. Ashey is sort of 'peculiar' too!

Hehe, just wait until Armound puts a brushless motor on his SS... :DHe won't recognize the beast as the same plane!!! :p