PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Trex 450 for a beginner

BobbyDog
10-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Hello everyone,

Well I just cant stand it anymore, I MUST have a heli! I've been flying planes now for 2 years and have resisted the urge to buy a heli, but the wife brought home a AirHogs mini heli today and man is it a fun little thing! I just spent a few hours doing some reading and research and from what I can tell, the Trex 450sa is a good heli to start with. Pretty cheap and the parts are readily available. I know everyone is going to say I should buy a tiny E-flite heli or something to get my feet wet, but I'm confident in my abilites to learn quick.

My questions are..
Is this heli as stable a heli as talked about? Even without a gyro?
Am I crazy thinking I could fly this thing as a first timer?
Will my Futaba 7Cap Tx be ok for this?
My lipos are all 1200 and 2100's, will these be ok?
Do I need to order a gyro right off the bat?

Any info on these questions would be very much appreciated. I'll hold off on ordering for a few days. (Maybe, LOL) Thanks in advance.

Bob

Insomniac
10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
I have no experience with single-rotor helis, only a co-ax, but even so I can SRONGLY reccommend a sim. Flying a heli is so much different from planes, even the little 4ch co-ax ones (they are great fun btw). There is pretty much no way you would be able to just take off and hover. While it may be a stable heli, it will not just hover without imput. Get a sim or a small coax one to get you used to the controls, and then try a bigger one with training gear.

aristo63
10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
dont even consider trying to learn a trex without a gyro

BobbyDog
10-23-2007, 03:10 AM
I just got off the sim :) I've got Aerofly pro and have been putting quite a few hours on it. I can hover and fly forward pretty good now. Sounds like I need gyro though, can you guys recommend one? I've heard good things about the JR gyros but I'm not spending 200 on one. What about the E-flite one or the Futaba one? Also I was wondering if I should order some heli tools, like a pitch gauge or something. Thanks for the input guys.

Bob

aristo63
10-23-2007, 04:02 AM
the futaba 401 is considered the best gyro for the trex by many,plus very easy setup for the beginner.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
10-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi Bob,
I have flown fixed wing (RC and full) since 1975. Last year my son got involved in helicopters and I got hooked. I purchased (and learned to fly) a Blade CP Pro. It is a great machine, but I would not recommend it as a first heli. All my newfound heli friends would exclaim "If you can fly that, you can fly anything!". I thought they were just being nice until I flew a MX-400...what a difference! I probably spent 3 time longer learning to fly than I needed.
Incidentally, I would not bother with a co-axial heli...I know you from other posts and think I can say that you would become bored in a hurry! There are many good machines available, but I would recommend looking only at helis that have belt driven tail rotors. The "tail rotor motor" is a simple solution for manufacturers but can be a real hassle for maintenance.
Get yourself a good heli and a set of training gear, then go to Radds School of Rotary and learn to fly. Do exactly as he says on his web page and you will learn with minimal "mishaps". Also, a good link to check out would be :

http://www.helidirect.com/

You already know where to buy li-po's (CSRC) LOL!!!

Hope this helps,
Ken
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65
W4SWK
AMA
LSF

I just got off the sim :) I've got Aerofly pro and have been putting quite a few hours on it. I can hover and fly forward pretty good now. Sounds like I need gyro though, can you guys recommend one? I've heard good things about the JR gyros but I'm not spending 200 on one. What about the E-flite one or the Futaba one? Also I was wondering if I should order some heli tools, like a pitch gauge or something. Thanks for the input guys.

Bob

theecoop
10-23-2007, 04:39 AM
a must have tool is a swashplate leveling tool. IMO !!!!

http://www.rchover.com/inc/sdetail/49347

BobbyDog
10-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for taking the time everyone, some good info there. I'll oder a Futaba gyro and swashplate leveler with the heli. From what I can tell, you need an extra servo for the gyro? So how many do I need then in total? lol..

<------- NOOB !!

I have a bunch of HS-65's, HS-55's, and Futaba 3114's and 3110's. Are the heavy duty 65's needed? Just curious.

Also, what about blades.. should I get some cheapies to start or go right to the good ones? Wood or carbon?

How about one of those ball link pliers? Pitch gauge?

Oh man, so many questions. Just so you know I'm not sitting here waiting for you guys to decide everything for me. I do my research as well, it just helps me find a good place to start. I do appreciate all the help, thanks.

Bob

theecoop
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
ball link pliers,metric caliper,total of 4 servos,cheap flat blades wood

ironwill96
10-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Wood blades offer good lift and are light-weight and also will get shredded easier - saving the other parts of the heli from damage. The stiffer blades such as carbon fiber you should only start using once you are not crashing very often at all. Even with blade grips if you strike a hard surface with the carbon fiber (or plastic blades you can get) you are more likely to damage the main shaft or head assembly.

Yeah, your blade will be practically indestructible but the rest of your helicopter won't be and it will result in lengthy repairs to fix it (speaking from personal experience using hard plastic blades here!).

I would advise picking up at least 3 sets of blades to start with because that is likely all you will wreck if you crash from a low hover.

Edit: and as theecoop pointed out, you should start with flat blades. You only need to go symmetrical once you want to do 3-D flight - they do have slightly different handling characteristics. The flat ones feel a bit more stable to me when I have flown with them versus the symmetrical blades.

buzkil
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I found that it was easier to fly my t-rex than a smaller fix pitch heli. I even had a nexus 30 and that was even easier to fly than the t-rex. I guess with me the bigger I go the more stable they become. But don't dare try learning without a gyro. The sudden and quik yaws will spook you and you'll crash. If you do plan to get a heli and learning yourself, make sure you buy extra parts right off the bat. Tail booms, tail rotor blades, main shafts, spindal shafts, flybars, main blades, extra hardware and extra belts if you buy a belt driven one, these things usually go in a crash and there good to have on hand instead of waiting days before they come in the mail when you have to order them. The tools you will need, a set of nice metric hex drivers ( the allen wrenches that the kits provide will wear out and cause you misery),mini pitch gage, ball link plyers and a nice blade balancer. Make sure you get a sturdy set of training gear. I found that with a cheap set of training gear, if the main blades are not balanced properly it will cause the model to shake this inturn transfers to the end of the taining gear which causes the model to shake even more. But most important, be patiant, don't be too dareing and you'll have less down time and more flight time. Enjoy!!

BobbyDog
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Ok guys thanks alot. So heres what I need so far.

Align Trex 450sa
Futaba 410 gyro
Mini pitch gauge
Blade balancer
Ball joint pliers
Spare blades and parts

I've got all sorts of digital measuring devices, plus the lipos and servos. I've also got a few Hitec Electron 6chan recievers. I've heard a few people say they dont like helis for some reason. Should I pick up a Berg 7 channel instead? Is there a good Futaba Rx? I looked through them and seen a few that looked good but I dont hear of too many people using them.

One other question. Should I use Hitec HS-65 servos or the Futaba 3114's instead? Maybe a mix of the two? Do the 3114's fit in the servo trays or are they too small?

Thanks guys... (and gals :))

Bob

buzkil
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't know about the size of those servos. But you should use the same size and brand servos around your swashplate to keep the speed and torque the same. You can use a different brand for your tail rotor, its better to use a servo with a higher speed and torque than the ones on your swashplate.

eddo22
10-26-2007, 09:00 PM
your hs-65's should be fine. i use the 65mgs on my 450sa. also, your 2100 lipos should work great. 401 gyro will be great in your heli, that is a definite best first purchase.
helidirect.com currently has the telebee 6gram gyro on deal of the day right now for 39.99 regulary 59.99. it's a great gryo for ff and loops and rolls, but you will want the 401 for any kind of serious 3d.
if you can afford it, i think the 450 is a great heli for a beginner. not so small like a micro that you cannot fly in any wind but not so huge that it would be entirely intimidating. make yourself some training gear to start out, google "radd's school of rotary flight" for your flight lessons and you're good to go!

ed

eddo22
10-26-2007, 09:13 PM
you might also look into the e-sky honeybee King2 (http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=B3164904) . Bigger than a micro, but just smaller than the 450 plus you still have the belt-driven tail like the t-rex. you can use your 1200 lipos, and three of your hs-65's. guys are using a small servo like the hs-50 for the tail.
just buy a motor like the jgf400dh and 25a esc, throw your radio gear in and your good to go for a lot less than the t-rex.
i just ordered one for my fleet...wee! in all fairness, parts for the 450 will probably readily available at your lhs, but for the king you will only find them online for the most part...just something to keep in mind. oh, and you'll still need a gyro too.

best,
ed

BobbyDog
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks Ed and BuzzKill, appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I ended up ordering the Trex 450sa yesterday. I'm soo stoked I can hardly handle myself lol. I havent been this excited since my first balsa 3D machine. I've got alot of help also from RCGroups on this subject, so heres what else I picked up with the Heli.

Trex 450sa
Berg 7 Rx
Hitec HS-65 mg (3)
Futaba 9650 digital
Gy401 gyro
pitch gauge
blade balancer
hex driver set
ball link pliers
training gear

I think that I'm ready to go when it all gets here. I just started downloading the Finless how-to videos. We only have dialup here in the boonies so it will take awhile :) I've got to watch one of them already and they are full of sooo much information. I'll definatly go check out the Radd's school later tonight.

Thanks again for all the help everyone, I'll keep ya posted on how I make out.

eddo22
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
sweet, also look into training gear like they talk about in this thread http://www.rchelimag.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821. they can easily be made with wooden dowels or carbon rod w/plastic golf balls lash together w/zipties.
congrats on ordering all your gear! i love waiting for brown santa hehe...

topspy
10-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm a newbie too. Just bought a 450 sa Trex, a blade cx, a walkera piece of junk, and a dragonus II. The walkera is crap. The blade cx (counterrotating blades) is easy but quickly becomes boring, and it's fragile as hell. At least the parts are readily available, because even a hard landing breaks something. I have yet to assemble the dragonus II, but it looks every bit as good as the Trex. As for the Trex: I have flown it twice, and wrecked it twice - but it's back up and ready to fly again. I'm using a spectrum DX6. and the manual is as clear as mud. After countless hours on the internet such things as mixes, throttle hold, dual rates, idle up, etc are slowly becoming clearer. Why, WHY, can't anyone write a clear beginners guide to these things? And why can't someone write a step by step guide to setting up a heli/transmitter? Or how to use a pitch guage? or ANYTHING that is clear to newcomers? And believe me I have looked.............. a lot. What the hell is pilot authority? Not in any manual I have. OK, done *****ing, but here's the little bit I've learned so far: Buy Real Flight ( the Simulator) It will save you a ton of money. Go for the ball link pliers, you need them. Get lots of spare parts. Upgrade to metal on everything. Don't waste money on carbon blades till you can fly well. And again: get lots of spare parts.

topspy
10-29-2007, 11:04 AM
More about the Trex: the first flight broke most of the plastic bits in the head.......... now mostly metal. The second flight was better, got a good hover, but then I got brave and flew it and lost control; but the damage was minimal with the metal parts - just the blades and a cracked landing skid - and it was a pretty hard wreck! Another bit of advice: If you are new, fly in an area with NO obstacles!

BobbyDog
10-30-2007, 04:41 AM
Omg TopSpy, you havent heard of the FINLESS videos? Dude you HAVE to get them! I've watched about 10 now and I can tell you how to do everything. Set up the Tx, setup the ball links, install the gyro and set it up, etc, etc. The videos are unreal! You can find them at the HeliFreak site. I'm not sure what the address is but you'll find it.

I've been practicing on my sim Aerofly Pro deluxe for quite awhile now, and can fly a bird around pretty good now on it. I'm hoping that translates into a successfull first maiden :)

Thanks for the insight on your experience though bud. I'll make sure to upgrade to metal parts as soon as the plastic stuff is "expired" lol.

Bob

wlfk
10-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Wood blades offer good lift and are light-weight and also will get shredded easier - saving the other parts of the heli from damage. The stiffer blades such as carbon fiber you should only start using once you are not crashing very often at all. Even with blade grips if you strike a hard surface with the carbon fiber (or plastic blades you can get) you are more likely to damage the main shaft or head assembly.

Yeah, your blade will be practically indestructible but the rest of your helicopter won't be and it will result in lengthy repairs to fix it (speaking from personal experience using hard plastic blades here!).

I would advise picking up at least 3 sets of blades to start with because that is likely all you will wreck if you crash from a low hover.

Edit: and as theecoop pointed out, you should start with flat blades. You only need to go symmetrical once you want to do 3-D flight - they do have slightly different handling characteristics. The flat ones feel a bit more stable to me when I have flown with them versus the symmetrical blades.

I'd disagree strongly on the blades front. Woodies cost 8 and plastic ones cost about 11. I run plastic blades and in a minor ding I'm likely to bend the main shaft (2) spindle (2) and perhaps another 2 worth of parts such as blade grips. When I had woodies fitted, I'd still need to replace these parts, but in addition I also have to replace the blades. In other words, in an average crash, if I use woodies I tend to double the cost of the crash. I prefer to use the plastic blades, but I keep plastic blade grips as my weak link.

I was also warned against metal parts when I started out. Again, I've since found that metal rotor housings and mixer arms save in the average crash.

K

Adrian
11-03-2007, 11:57 PM
The best thing I ever invested in just after a sizable SE purchase was the membership of a heli club. I learnt so much in a short time from my flying "peers" I would say IMHO after a flight sim (Phoenix V good for helis) this would be number2 on my "must do" list before even attempting to fly.
I have an SE & S Futaba "full metal jacket" (HS56 karbonites on the head-401's & 9254 digi's on the tail + PCM RX's including FF9 TX although soon to be converted to 2.4gig) Sites such as Wattflyer are a great help, but not as good "hands on" by a long margin. I find Wattflyer gives good information-but theres nothing like a seasoned flyer giving your heli the onceover before flight

BobbyDog
11-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah I wish I had that option. I live hours away from the nearest club in a small farm town of about 600 people. I taught myself to fly planes a few years ago and have still never seen another person fly a plane or heli for that matter. I've even put ads in the local paper to get someone else interested but nobodys come out yet. Too bad, we have nothing but wide open land here, enough to fly 50% scale jets if I had one :) Anyway, thanks for the input. I recieved my Trex yesterday, had to work all last night and this afternoon, but I'm going to start putting her together here in about an hour ;) I'll let you all know how I make out..

Bob

topspy
11-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Bobby: Let me know how you make out. have had a week off, no time to fly but lots of sim time. thanks for the point to the finless vids.... I'll check them out soon!

BobbyDog
11-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Heres the link to the videos for the Trex 450.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373
I found the two vids on CCPM, the one on Gyros, and the throttle curve one to be the most helpfull, but they are all worth watching for sure. You'll have to register to download them though. I heard that there is another place to get them from, that you dont need to register to, but I'm not sure where it is. I had a little trouble registering because I use Hotmail and they dont allow that to register. Good luck!

My heli is coming along nicely. Some problems finding a mount for the gyro, and figuring out how to mount the 9650 servo, but other than that everything is working good. I'll put a few more hours on it tonight, getting close! ;)

Bob

Adrian
11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
If I were you I would mount the gyro below the boom holder, just take it out- turn it around & tighten everything back up(you will also have to turn the boom through 180 also). you will need to make a small plate a couple of MM's thick then using servo tape mount on both sides & stick the gyro back on then to finish it off wrap velcro round for added security-BUT dont put it on too tight or vibration might be tranmitted from airframe to gyro. You will have to reverse the gyro, read your instructions for 401
This above mod will save your gyro if you ever have a heavy crash when the fly bar comes down & whacks it

eddo22
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Gyro underneath is a must...there is even a finless vid about it if i remember correctly. I use rick lohr's product (http://www.wavelandps.com/clearly/products.htm), but Adrian is right one can can easily be homemade.

platinumjason
11-07-2007, 04:35 AM
I picked up a T-Rex SA this weekend. I will be running the stock motor/esc along with a DX7 radio and a Logitech 2100T gyro. I hear this gyro is as good or better than a 401. Im not sure Ive never used either yet but the link Im posting below has the gyro on sale for about an hour and a half for $89. Mine came out to $95 shipped.

http://www.helidirect.com/

BobbyDog
11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Cool thanks for the advice guys. I've already mounted the gyro underneath using a small piece of 6mm Depron. I gorilla glued it to the boom holder and then double taped the gyro to it. I managaed to break the stupid plastic swash just by picking the heli up in the wrong place! Anyway, I've ordered a bunch of new metal stuff and it should be here tomorrow. Heres some pics, what do you guys think?

Adrian
11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I had already got an SE when I then bought an S to put a body kit on it, I only flew it once & had problems with RX wire route which caused a major "funky chicken dance" before finally hitting the ground & bits of plastic from the head/tail flew everywhere!
Hence the S became an alloy framed SE once all the bits arrived from a certain site in Japan-much cheaper than buying in UK. Problem was then I had built such a thing of beauty I couldnt put a body kit on it. (+ I realised the added weight would blunt performance)

BobbyDog
11-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I've always wanted a body kit for my heli but didnt see anywhere to buy one. Where did you get yours Adrian?

theecoop
11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
"I managaed to break the stupid plastic swash just by picking the heli up in the wrong place!" Sorry to hear ! only minor set back though ,I would guess. I'm still trying to find time to practice ,I now have my T-Rex450SA and T-RexXL both ready to go just waiting on me....(work load) Grrrrrr soon though I hope

Adrian
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
There are dozens of people making fuz's all over the world. USA I would probably try DARTHDARK he makes some very differant variations of fuz's + the more regular kits. E-bay can also be a good place to look now the Asians are starting to mass produce just about anything you could want & the quality has gone through the roof over the last couple of years-but to buy-its getting cheaper:ws:
I've just got a small park flyer up & the motor/ESC combo cost just 30 for it. 170W on a plane that weighs 650gms! (have a look on watt flyer SCALE E-POWERED, Alpha Mustang & my E-flite Cubs on there too, I've had many problems with it:{ but its now OK:ws:

buzkil
11-08-2007, 10:02 PM
http://helihobby.com/ has a nice selection of scale bodies and canopies. There are a couple of other sights out there but I can't remember them right now. I too would like a scale bodie but as adrian has listed my 450SE has bling on it. So i'll just wait till I buy another to put a bodie on it.
Right now I'm more into planes than my heli. I seem to go through phases like that, one month planes, next month helis, the month after that boats, than it starts all over again. I used to have a nice collection of helis but than came this gal named "Kartina" that took my whole hobby away in one fell tidle surge:mad:. Now I have more planes that helis.

BobbyDog
11-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. Have you maidened your helis yet Coop? I JUST finished getting mine all figured out. Man what a steep learning curve I was on. It took me hours to get that damned Radio programmed. Now I just need a perfectly calm day to try her out. ;) I ordered some training gear last night, I guess I should wait untill it gets here. What do you guys think. :) Anyway, I'm off to have a look at those bodies, thanks again.

Bob

Adrian
11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
To be honest I copied my 1st settings off another guys heli to start with, now I'm getting a bit better its starting to get customised to my needs, but to begin with you just need a basic safe set up just using throttle settings-idle up may just be a bit TOO much to begin with!
I'm a very cautious flyer & it took me about 6 months before I went to idle up (fixed head speed & just using +or-pitch for height adjustments TBH though I had no issues with that transition either) wether it was down to "flight hours" or just a well set up heli I'm unsure????
I havnt seen any of the Finless vidieos but I hear they are an absolute must for the beginner covering many of the basic's-including throttle & pitch curves for a basic set up-take heed young skywalker:roll: (soz)

BobbyDog
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM
The Finless videos are awesome and thats no exaggeration. I really dont think I could have done it without those videos and forums. The manuals arent the best in the world thats for sure. Heres the link for the Finless vids, you'll have to register to download them.
http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60
In this list look for "generic vidoes" or something like that to see the Trex 450 vids. I'm starting to get the hang of this little birdy. I cant wait for a nice day now!

Bob

theecoop
11-12-2007, 02:26 AM
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR OFF TO A GREAT START. CONGRATS:tc:

BobbyDog
11-13-2007, 04:27 AM
This isnt what I had in mind when I said a "nice day"!! Last night we had a unreal storm, over 150mm's (7 inches) of rain in 8 hrs. I woke up to 3 feet of water surrounding my house. At least now the Johova's wont come knocking! lol. Anyway, its the flood plains and I do live in the rain forest, guess if I dont like it I can always move huh? Nah. :cool:

Bob

theecoop
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
wow, sorry to see that. maybe some floats for the heli is in order (no pun intended) . Hope things work out for you in your time of need !

eddo22
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
yikes! good luck man...hope your house gets thru it without damage.

BobbyDog
11-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys.. I'v spent the last three days cleaning up this mess. The mud that comes with a flood is the worst part. Good for the fields but not soo good for the washer and dryer. :) Anyway, it floods here every year but usually only a foot or less. The house is built for it, all the electrical outlets are at the ceiling and the insulation is foam board etc.. This was just a bad one that caught us off gaurd, we were sleeping when it came in. I woke up and there was already 3 feet of water. I ran around for as long as I could stand the -1 deg water and put things like my welder up but unfortunatly I couldnt get alot of it up.

One thing though that made me really thank my lucky stars though. The very first thing that went through my mind when I looked out the window to see the water was my Fliton Extra 330 downstairs in my shop, so I went running down there only to find it floating on a big piece of foam board that I had beside it! I couldnt believe my luck, I guess what happened was the plane started to float a little and then the board slid down the wall and right under the landing gear on one side. It only went over as far as the other landing strut but was enough to get the center of gravity over on the board lifting the whole plane except the one wingtip out of the water. I couldnt believe it. Anyway, it was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the good wishes, hopefully this stupid rain season will end soon and I can get my heli up in the air.

Bob

BobbyDog
11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I got the little birdy in the air :) What a rush! I've got about 6 lipos through it now and so far so good. As far as this heli being good for a beginner? I'd say its a great heli to start on. There was alot to learn for sure, its not easy getting these things set up. But in the air it handles very well, hovering was quite easy actually, at least for me. The thing I'm having the most trouble with is hovering side in, but I'm sure that practice will solve that problem. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help getting me to this point. I couldnt have done it without you!

Bob

eddo22
11-24-2007, 07:05 PM
that's a crazy story about the plane...awesome! glad to hear you are up and running...congrats!
let me send you off with my favorite t-rex 450 video for inspiration, this guy is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrp_Shj1rMs

eddo22
11-24-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrp_Shj1rMs

Adrian
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Glad to hear your in the air, bet you didnt know you could have so much fun with your clothes on:Q Its a bit different from flying planks though!!!
I've just finished rebuilding TREX1 after a "dumb thumb" incident.
will be flying tommorow night at heli club indoors (huge dome with a gym on one side a tennis court down the middle & another area thats used for badmington except on heli nights when the "newbies" hover around it + with being a very big dome we have approx 60ft to play with height wise:tc: all this for 20 a year!) I'm just busy re-learning how to fly at the moment, I've found that using thumbs on the sticks isnt as accurate as pinching (finger & thumb) I've put 13hrs on the flight sim with re-configured handset hopefully that should put an end to some errant behaviour my helis have been displaying & lead to no more "dumb thumb" accidents (see above) other than pilot stupidity of course.
I've been flying TREX's for a year now & many times a week (on average) & am only just in the last couple of months really flying it rather it flying me, it can be daunting at times-but when the penny drops:ws: hope the penny drops soon for you:D

BobbyDog
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
That is an unreal video :) I dont know what that guy does for a living but that house is PIMP. That would be a big step up from my farmhouse lol. Truth is I would hate to live there, afraid to get something dirty all the time. Thanks for the video link.

I also tried to change to the Pinching method, but it just doesnt feel right. I gave it a good go too but just dont have the coordination between fingers I guess. I have always flown with my thumbs, must be all that time on the Nintendo when I was a kid :) I have seen many world class pilots fly with their thumbs so I decided to just stick with it.

I'm on about my 30th lipo now and have progressed pretty quickly. I took off the landing gear after the 10th flight, and once I started flying forward all my plane time kicked in. I was having alot of trouble hovering side in but once I got some time flying forward time, it seemed to be easier hovering.

Sounds like you've got a great place to fly Adrian, I'd love to do some indoor flying sometime. I live in the boonies though, the biggest building in my farm town is our barn. :) It is easily big enough to fly in, we would just need to empty all the crap out lol. I'm really lucky though that I have 80 acres in my backyard to fly in. I get up almost every morning and pour a coffee and go fly for 3 or 4 lipos. Then I work all day and then get 3 or 4 more in at night. As long as the weather is holding up.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, yak later..

Bob

Adrian
11-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I can pinch on the flight sim-but on the real heli I was flying it like a drunk monkey! Like you I'm one of the console generation although older than you I've brought up four kids who now are aged 32,23,20&18 I had to play with them on their machines. (only one more to get rid of but she's gonna be at uni for the next 3 years:roll:)
Glad your getting good stick time coz thats the only way to learn, flight sims help though, as long as you set them up right otherwise its more like an arcade game.
England at moment "winter mode" dark til 8am-grey all day-dark by 4pm, you can also add gale force winds & stinging rain when it isnt grey, every now & then the sun shines-but usually while I'm at work:{ Indoor flying is my only outlet til spring (in general).

Bob O
12-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but there is soooo much useful information in it that I had to reply. I don't have time right now to check the links and videos, but I wanted to tell you all that I have a T-Rex 450SA on the way with the Align motor and ESC. I have yet to pick out the gyro and servos. I've been flying the T-Rex on my FSOne for a couple of weeks now.

So far almost everything I've been able to find on the T-rex 450 has said that it is a good beginner's heli.

:)

eddo22
12-16-2008, 01:51 AM
congrats on the new heli. i don't think you will be disappointed! there are newer servos and gyros now but here is what i had in mine:
hs-65mgs on cyclic
futaba 401 gyro
futaba 9650 for rudder (i think the rudder specific version of this servo is the 9257 but you should confirm)
and you can checkout pics of my old sweetheart here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=131888). hope that helps, congrats again.
best,
ed

xuzme720
12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I had to tell someone! I just bought my rexi a brother! It's another T-rex 450, but the new one is the SE V2, RTF with a Spektrum DX6i TX, HS65's up top and a Futaba 9650 in the rear. Not bad for 165.00 shipped! I can't be sure on the gyro but it looks like the telebee 400, basically a less expensive but capable gyro with features similar to the 401...
I can't wait to get it!!

Bob O
12-30-2008, 08:45 PM
A used one, xuzme?

xuzme720
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
yeah, it is... but it looks like it may not happen. I think the seller got in trouble or just folded up shop as all of his listings are gone. I have questioned ebay as to what is happening and I paid with paypal, so if it's hokey, I should be able to get my money back. Frankly, I'd rather have the heli, as would anyone, at that price! oh well, I guess we'll see.

Old Sloppy
01-03-2009, 02:40 AM
The Finless videos are awesome and thats no exaggeration.

Bob

I agree that the vids are great....
They really helped me with basic setup on my Trex 600e.

Harry :cool:

xuzme720
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
yeah, it is... but it looks like it may not happen. I think the seller got in trouble or just folded up shop as all of his listings are gone. I have questioned ebay as to what is happening and I paid with paypal, so if it's hokey, I should be able to get my money back. Frankly, I'd rather have the heli, as would anyone, at that price! oh well, I guess we'll see.I spoke with Paypal today and they have gotten tracking from the seller. My package is in customs now. Now I just need to see if it's what it was supposed to be...I am excited again!

WWI Ace
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I wish you luck!!! Steve

xuzme720
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ace! Alas, it was not to be...
What I got was this...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa193/xuzme720/DSC_5917.jpg

Not exactly what I expected when I bid. lol
Needless to say, I have a dispute filed with PP, but I am not really expecting much. Oh well, live and learn, that will be the last time I don't follow my instincts...

WWI Ace
01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry about that xuzme720!! I've gotten to the point that I don't do much Ebaying anymore because of crap like this!! I've been very lucky that I've only been burned once but I'm not sure it's worth the risk anymore!! Steve

m40a3
01-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Just read through all the posts and wow what a ton of info. My story:

I have 3 coax heli's since christmas. They are a blast to fly with. Sat there last night in my easy chair and flew 2 of them all over the living room with no stress whatsoever...my 5 year old is even doing well on my little MCX.

I am shooting for a bigger heli end of march for my 40th birthday. Had pretty much settled on a Blade 400, BUT I am strongly considering a TREX 450 instead. Why pay over 400 bucks for something that needs upgrading right now of the box. I can have a 450 built up for about 800 locally and it will give me plenty of enjoyable flight time. I am confident in my ability to learn fast as the RealFlight Sim has not been hard to learn.

As for Ebay...I have not been burned - YET - as a matter of fact I just got my EFlite MCX off Ebay and it was a great deal and was exaclty what was described. I now have 3 batteries for it and its awesome. Took it outside yesterday after work - very calm day - and flew it about 40 ft in the air. HAHA....it was great.

Thanks to everyone for all the info....this is a great site.

theecoop
01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
m40a3, just a plug here , in the for sale section i have a trex450 sa upgraded and a spektrum dx7 for sale totalling 525.00 ..maybe this would save you some money

m40a3
01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
10-4. Can I ask why you are selling it? I will certainly consider it, but keep in mind that I will not be buying until the end of March.

Thanks

theecoop
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
im selling all rc stuff and getting an ultralight

helibeg
01-23-2009, 06:26 AM
im selling all rc stuff and getting an ultralight
o really!!!! i love ultralights, we had a quicksilver 2 place, beautiful, but my wife and all my brothers wifes told us "sell it" after some friends gone with God after and accident on the ultra:(. Good luck.