PDA

View Full Version : WWI planes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

WWI Ace
08-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Anybody heard anything or have flown the micro planes listed on Giantscaleplanes.com's website? They look like really cool WWI planes. They even have a triplane with ailerons!! How cool is that!!!

scalercflyer
08-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Hi WWI Ace! I'm new to the WATTFLYER family, but not new to RC. My passion is WWI fighters, especially German. I do like the "feel" of this site. I also hope to make new friends in the scale community here. I have MANY sets of electric plans for WWI birds that I have been collecting since I got bit by the electric bug. I hope to build 2 planes (Fokker DVIII, Albatros DIII, both 400 size) this winter for next years flying season. I would count it a priviledge to hear from some of the other scale "nuts" here. All the Best, Martin

luc
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
here is the GP DR1 I have...

RacerPaul
08-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Very Nice,

I've got an old Sterling gasser that my Dad built and I'm scared everytime I look at it wondering how it will fly! It's been sitting for years!

Looks like your tripe flies well?

Paul

WWI Ace
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Great to hear from all you fellow WWI pilots!!! I was beginning to think I was all alone!! Hey Scalercflyer, where did you get the plans for the Fokker DVII? I like mostly German WWI planes too and these plans would definitly make a cool plane!!!

WWI Ace
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry Scalercflyer. I meant to type DVIII and not DVII!!!!

Ron
08-10-2005, 09:30 PM
glad to see that I'm not the only fokker nut here....I generally scratch build from my own plans and at the moment own a D V1... EV.......E111.....and a DR1.....
largest is the DR1 at 88".....smallest is the D V1 at 66" all are electric, and all are a blast to fly.....I'm in the middle of a 1/4 scale D V111 because the smaller one flew so well...and I just love those big round cowls.... -:)

WWI Ace
08-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey Ron!! Could you post some pictures of your Fokkers? I would really like to see them. I was also going to ask you if you knew Gary Villette by any chance? I have a couple of his small Fokker triplanes. I only have one built so far and am using the other as a spare. I can't seem to destroy the little triplane though. I might scrub off some wingtip paint on the "typical" triplane landing but it's like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking!!! It is far more durable than my Kavan Fokker triplane. Every time I fly it I seem to always need to reglue the landing gear! I have never broke one of the struts but the foam that they are pushed into isn't exactly a great mounting point. Anyway my little Fokker is posted on the DVFlighttech website under "gallery". It isn't a perfect plane but it was the first depron plane I ever built.

WWI Ace
08-11-2005, 01:09 AM
I also have the Sig Fokker DVII parkflyer kit. I haven't built it yet but I hope that when I do it will be the perfect "Sunday" morning relaxing flyer. I like to have at least one plane that doesn't make me work so hard to have fun. Do you guys know what I mean?

scalercflyer
08-11-2005, 03:05 AM
OK all you WWI nuts! Listen up!I like to scratch build too! Building for me is as much fun as flying! Here are a few of the plans I have.... Fokker DVIII (69" and 400 version), Albatros DIII, DV, Pfalz DIII, SE5a, N 11, Indoor Eindecker, BE2, Morane Saulier "L", Ansaldo, Sopwith Camel, Triplane, 1 1/2 Strutter, Bristol Scout, Fokker DVII, Fokker Triplane (depron- E file) and Pfalz E3. Most of these are electric with one or two glow (can be converted). If any of you guys are interested in a plan(s), PM me and we will work something out. I get most of my plans by swapping them. PS... I am the Hun in the Sun!!! NEVER fly staright and level for more than 10 seconds in a combat zone! WWI planes rule!

scalercflyer
08-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Sorry forgot to mention: Fokker DVI(55" WS), Albatros DII and large Pfalz DIIIa. Hmmm maybe we'll start a forum of our own... What do you guys think? PS... If it doesn't have 2 or more wings, It's not an airplane.....

scalercflyer
08-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Hey WWI Ace want a set of plans for the DVIII? Big or small, it's your call... PM me. Scalercflyer

Ron
08-11-2005, 03:44 AM
WW1 Ace.....I'll post pics in a day or two if you would like to see them, but there's been so many posted on the EZONE that I figured it would be boring for everyone.
There is a photo of the triplane in the new Canadian RC magazine this month, and the D V1 has been the subject of a Peter Rake article in the July 2002 Flying Scale Models. It is modeled after a one only airplane that served in Russia at the last part of WW1. hence it has a somewhat unusual paint scheme. I had a devil of a time verifying that this colour scheme was actually used. The DR1 is the obligatory red and green with sky blue under sides....EV is hand painted lozenge on the fuselage . Sides and top one colour, and bottom different colours as per the norm. It's a copy of an airplane that served in France and is now in a museum in Germany. Yes I know Gary. Somewhere I have a picture of his DR1 sitting on a half of mines tail plane. My prop is bigger than his wing span :-) Kinda looks like a real plane with a model sitting on the horizontal stab. his little DR1 is a really good flier, and it's tough too.
He comes to my field to fly at the Chilliwack fly ins and is a member of the club that flies there regularly.....Right now I'm doing up plans for a 50% DR1 that will be electric powered...seems somebody told me it can't be done.....But that's what they said about flying my 30% one on a cheap brushed motor and 20 round cells since everyone figured it would weigh about 20 pounds. .................................
but I fooled em...it only weighs 10 :-).

WWI Ace
08-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Hey Ron, I live in Texas so I don't get too many chances to see Canadian RC mags. It must be one good looking plane though to make it to a magazine!!! Is the triplane that you are talking about with Gary's on the tail all white with a red stripe on the top wing and fusealage? If it is, then I have seen it and it's a sharp looking plane. If you think about it next time you see Gary let him know that I still fly the triplane every chance I get and it's still one of my favorites!!!

turnwaldw
08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Great to see I,m not the only guy making WWI electrics I just finished converting a Az Modelers DVII Its there small combat plane its really nice but its tight to fit all the gear in also a bear to get the cg right. I am looking at converting my .40 balsa usa eindecker to electric also. I usually fly in my back yard my brother has 12 acres right behind my house. The neighbors usually frown on my gas plane but dont notice the electric at all. Hope to read more about others doing the same.
Dave

Ron
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Dave :
The Balsa USA E 111 is a good design...I have seen 5 or 6 that have been converted...batteries have to go into the cowl though, otherwise it's a little tough to get the CG right. That being said, every one of them is a good flier. They seem to come out around 8 pounds with the electric setup, but with 1100 sq. in. of wing area, that's not too bad. Nice thing too is with E power, you can swing a scale sized prop.
WW1..... Gary's little foamy is white with red stripe...mine's Green , red, and sky blue.

Stickhead
08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
If you haven't already, check out this addy: www.aerodromerc.com (http://www.aerodromerc.com) for great kits, plans, building services, downloadable decals PLUS 4 and 5 color lozenge plans for making your own decals or stencils. Cool, huh? Great service, nice people. Wonderful planes designed for E flight from the start, no converting. Most everything included in kits, except for appropriate wire, and a little extra balsa for here and there. Get the covering offered, too-it's great stuff!:D

Stickhead
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Howdy, pardner, will you be going to the AMA's Grand Event in Waco? End of August, if you're interested check it out at www.modelairplane.org (http://www.modelairplane.org) , look for Grand Event link at left of page.

turnwaldw
08-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Stickhead
I have been eyeing the site for awhile hopeing the DVIII comes out soon I think that would make an awesome electric setup. Plus looking at a few other kits they have they really look very good in quality.
Dave

fdr
08-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I have just purchased the BalsaUSA kit of the 1/4 scale Nieuport 11, designed for e-power.
Will build it over the winter, and will be bringing it to sporty scale contests next year. Should be a great flier.

Walt Thyng
08-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Check out my VK Camel in the latest Ampeer. After every flight somebody asks me how hard it is to fly. It really isn't ; it's no trainer, but my Funtana set-up for 3d is more of a handful (except on landings).

My next project is a sport scale Tripe built from plans I got when I cleaned out a deceased modler's workshop. It is optimized for stunt flying and i'm hoping to finish it in the colors of the Black Tripe in "the Great Waldo Pepper."
Walt

Walt Thyng
08-16-2005, 01:42 PM
thought I'd jump into this discussion. I posted something last night, but I was very tired and must have done something wrong'cause it isnlt here. Take a look at my VK (pre-Proctor) Camel in the latest Ampeer. I built a circular pack to fit in the cowl in order to get the c/g right. It was actually nose heavy when I finished!

My next WWI project is a sport scale DRI optimized for aerobatic flight. The plans are quite old (I got them when I cleaned out a deceased modelr's shop), but except for the airfoil the outlines are really good.

Walt Thyng
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Sorry about that! Gotta learn to turn the page )-:
WT

Ron
08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Walt....does it look anything like this??
Can't get the cotton pickin photo to upload )%&^*#$

scalercflyer
08-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey Walt, I have a set of plans that I can e-mail you for the DRI. Just say so! PM me. marty

WWI Ace
08-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Are you Dawn Patrol pilots still out there? How about some more pictures of your warbirds? I will post some of mine as soon as build something worthy. The planes that are posted so far are amazing!! Keep sending them!! It's almost as fun to look at cool warbirds as it is to fly them. Well maybe not that much fun but when the weather isn't cooperating it's all I've got!!!

WWI Ace
08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Still waiting for the wind to die out so my Fokker triplane can take to the skies and hunt for Sopwiths and Spads!!!

Walt Thyng
08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I just dug out my plans. They're from a Flying Models article. Designer was Bryce Petersen. Wing span is about 38" , area 880 sqs, weight six lbs. Since the r/c equipment shown is ORBIT I'm betting a LiPo powered electric could beat tht weight.

My juices are starting to run, but I've got to built a couple of transportable planes first.
WT

WWI Ace
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey Walt,are those 38" plans for a Fokker DR1? If it is that would be a great size for a triplane. But man, cutting out all those wing ribs would be very time consuming!! What do you cut yours with? I'm new to the scratchbuilding part so I was wondering if you had any time saving tips on parts cutting that you would be able to share? I love building kits but I have avoided building WWI planes, (especially triplanes because of all the ribs!!) because I don't know a good precise way to cut them. What are you thinking that you might use for power? I know, I know, I ask too many questions but I'm on a quest for knowledge!!! And you sound like you have alot of experience.

Walt Thyng
08-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Sorry I wasn't more clear; yes, the plans are for a DR1 Triplane. The nice thing about the DR1 is that all the ribs are the same. I'll make a pair of templates out of either ply, aluminum or bakelite; rough the ribs out on a band saw and then sand to the final air foil. The templates take more tme than the ribs.

If the Axi I have in my just finished Sea Fury (may test fly it later today) proves out I'll probably go with one in the DR1. An outrunner in a model of a rotary engined airplane seems natural (-:
WT

WWI Ace
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for filling me in Walt! I would be very interested to see pics when it's complete!! I have three rc fokker triplanes, and about seven plastic kits in various scales. Along with 3-4 books on Fokker triplanes. I really enjoy watching my triplanes fly around in the sky. Some of the other guys I fly with though think the only "cool" planes are overpowered 3D planes. I have a couple of those too and they're fun but they're not triplanes!!!!

Walt Thyng
08-21-2005, 10:57 PM
I just finished my Direct Connections Sea Fury. Will test it as soon as the winds die down. It is done in the "Furias" Reno Racer color scheme (do a Yahoo search for Furias flies again and you can get a good look at it) I was going to start on some easily transported planes for next year's vacation, but looking at that Tripe is changing my mind (-:

I made a flying club summer meeting (I usually can't because of work, but I was on vacation), when I put the Camel up everything stopped and when I landed (without tipping over!) I was surrounded by club members who hadn't seen it before. Feels good!
WT

Walt Thyng
08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Studied my DR1 plans last night. I was wrong about the ribs --- there are three different types. It's a real builders plan as the construction article says things like "build the fuselage sides on a flat surface." There are very few wood dimensions given. It uses 1/8 sheet sides rather than a built up fuselage --- quick, but I gotta think about it.

I also noticed that there's no spring in the l/g, but I think I can use the basic idea in my Camel's gear for a bungee cord system (just like the full scale). I'll probably go with a pull/pull system for controls and make the rudder and horizontal stab removable for travel.

Guess, I'll take a few former and rib drawings to the copy shop and stop at the LHS for some balsa stock (unless I decided to raid a kit I'm no longer interested in building).

Whne I get going, I'll try to post some photos.
WT

WWI Ace
08-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Anybody else notice that we have more replies in our WWI thread than even the WWII guys? Pretty impressive!! And I thought that I was the only one interested in these "little pieces of history"!!!!

turnwaldw
08-23-2005, 12:03 PM
You know what they say two wings are better than one:)

Walt Thyng
08-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Well, I've found enough wood in my stash for the fuselage sides, ribs and firewall. So I'm going for the Tripe.

I've studied the plans and come up with a few changes that reflect the 25 years since the plans were drawn. for example the dsign included a very complicated cable system for the ailerons since there were no servos that would fit in the win at that time. I'll go with the new Hitech thin wing servos like I've got in my Camel.

I'm still debating between the Axi 4120/18 and the 4130/16. The plans call for a 14 inch prop which looks pretty scale and either engine will spin one, albeit with quite a difference in the number of cells.

My building plan calls for cutting all 60 ribs from the same templates and then modifying then as needed for construction. This ensures conformity for the rib profile and reduces the number of labor intensive templates I'll need to make.

I guess, maybe you can tell I've really gotten into this project.

Oh yes, I found a really neat (and easy) color scheme that I've never seen before on a German site buried deep in Google's Fokker Dr.1 search results. If you find it great, but for now it's my secret. (-:
Walt

luc
08-24-2005, 05:36 PM
due to CG concern, you should take the 4130/1-, still batter than the 4120 + lead...:)

I used the 4130/16 on 6S with 14 *12 APC E or 15*10.

Ron
08-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Walt: what is scale size for the prop?? mine is 30" and I used the 4130/20 on 20 cells and one of Tom Hunt's reduction drives 2 to 1... works great...

Walt Thyng
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the input on the Axi's. I guess it's pretty well settled; it'l be the 4130-16 unless I get a great deal on a 4120. The difference is three ounces.

I'll try to find an exact number on the prop's scale, but every photo I've looked at shows the prop extending from just below the top wing to just above the axle. On my plans that's 14 inches.

By the way, when I add in the ailerons the top wing comes out to 48 inches not the 38 I mentioned earlier (must've been tired, couldn't have been the after work beer).
WT

WWI Ace
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Just got back from flying my triplanes!! I took my brushless Kavan Fokker and my DV Flighttech Fokker. It's a great morning when you get to watch triplanes patrol the skies. I just changed my DV Flighttech Fokker DR1 over to brushless. I put a Fegio brushless in a GWS IPS gearbox, Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC, and a Thunder Power 2 cell 900mah lipoly. It gave it a power boost and going from a 300mah NiMh pack to a 900mah lipoly (with no weight gain), greatly increased my flight times!! If you have never taken a look at this small tripe go to dvflighttech.com and check it out!!! Pictures of mine are posted in the Gallery. Mines the "okay" looking red one. There are also some pretty cool videos of it flying both indoors and out. If you need a small WWI plane to fly indoors during the winter, this is it!!! Gary Villette, the designer of this plane has been a great guy to deal with. It's a fun semi-scale build of depron foam with a unique rare earth magnet wing strut system so if you have a bad landing you just snap the wings back on and live to fly another day!!! I can almost smell the castor oil now!!!!!!

WWI Ace
08-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Walt, you putting that triplane together yet? Hope you'll post pictures of the build as you go. Interested to see how it's built.

Walt Thyng
08-30-2005, 02:35 AM
I should have some photos to post on Tuesday. I kitted it last Friday and have the fuse 85% done; the horizontal stab built, but not sanded and the bottom wing ready for the trailing edge material.

It's been a bit of a tough build as there are no, none, nada instructions. You have to really study the plans and think about what you're doing to figure out what the designer intended. A real (but very enjoyable) challenge.
Walt

P.S I know it's the wrong site for this, but I maidened my Direct connections Sea Fury (finished as the Reno Racer Furias) today. 8.25 lbs, Axi 4130-20 on a 9S2P LiPo pack, 14/12 APCe prop. Real nice flier.

WWI Ace
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Where are those photos Walt??? Don't leave me hangin'!!!!!!! Post a thread for that Sea Fury too!! I'd like to see it.

Walt Thyng
09-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Okay, Okay, I finally got a couple of photos of my progress on the DR.1. I've never posted photos before so i don't know what will happen.
there will be on of the rib template (I recut some bad ribs from another project) and on of the "kit". Nearly everything else is sheet or sticks.

I now have the fuse, all three wing and the horizontal stab framed. Unfortunately my digital camera is kaput so I'm using film which delays things.
Hope this works
Walt

Walt Thyng
09-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Okay you asked for build photos: here are the results of eigh days of buildin (20 hrs)
#1 framed fuselage nopse view
#2 framed fuse vertical view if top
#3 vertical view of bottom
not simple formerless construction; light, but very strong. Partial bottom sheeting was added to stabilze the fuse until the top was fitted. Much strength gained frin the motor bulge.

#4 mid wing under construction, Bags are lead shot .
#5 top wing. Note simple 1/4 square jig undr rib trailing edge.
#6 three wing minus tips and ailerons for top.
#7 sophisticated engineering tool for scalloping trailing edges.
#8 tail group
# 9,10, 11 what it's all about <VBG>

Walt Thyng
09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Don't know what I did wrong, but I'll try again. maybe too much data for one post so I'll try breaking them into groups
Walt

Okay they're telling me the files are too big. Don't understand as the other pics were accepted. The difference is that I scanned these myself and the others were from a Walgreen's floppy. Guess I'll go back and re-scan at a lower rsolution and see if that works.
sorry about this.
WT

scalercflyer
09-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Walt please post your pics ASAP. I'm burnin to see the build. Marty

Walt Thyng
09-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Now they're telling I need to manually resize. I've no idea and it's a beautiful day for flying. I'll fiddle with things later.
sorry,
Walt

Walt Thyng
09-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Third time didn't work; going for four.

Walt Thyng
09-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Anybody out there who can help me with my problem?

I resized the photo in photoshop. Followed the instructions under Advanced Post Manage attachments and didn;t even get an error message, but no photo on post. )-:

Walt Thyng
09-04-2005, 01:59 AM
got 4 minutes left. sixth try.

I give up )-:

WWI Ace
09-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Come on Walt!! You've got to figure this out!! Don't kick out a couple of "teaser" pictures and then leave me hanging again. Gosh, if it's "Top Secret" how you build it just say so but don't tease me. It's not fair!!! Seriously though, it looks like a great build so far. You are very talented!! If you get it figured out post some pics. If not while your building, at least figure it out and post some finished pics, or even better a video!!!

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Trying something differentfile:///Users/walterth/Desktop/Tripe%20photos/Untitled-1

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Okay something elsefile:///Users/walterth/Desktop/Tripe%20photos/File_01.jpgfile:///Users/walterth/Desktop/Tripe%20photos/File_01.jpg

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 12:58 AM
do you think if I fool around with this long enough the moderator will speak up?

right now the only option I see is to have Walgreen's make me a floppy. It seems to be the only way to get the file size down to RCU's limits. Too tired to do it tonight.
Walt

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 04:24 AM
Still trying

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 04:32 AM
OOps; hit "send" too fast. anyway the pic of my Direct Connections Sea fury finished as Reno Racer "Furias" has given me the answer --- go to Walgreen's and get a floppy made. Will do tomorrow.

Furias info: Span 64" area 791 wt 8.25 lbs. Power Axi 4130-20 on an 8S2P TP 4200mah pack. Prop APCe14/10. B&D mechanical retracts. No flaps as full scale has flaps removed. Excellent flyer. Smooth and fast.

Finished the ailerons, elevators and Rudder on the Dr.1. If tomorrow is as windy as they say I'll be fitting the lower and midwings and horizontal stab and checking for incidence. May start bending some music wire too.
Walt

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
I think this'll do it. I'm posting them in the same order as my original attempt (see above),

Question: my measurments show that my plans are set up +2 degrees for everything. This goes against my Bi-plane experience where you want the wing ahead of the c/g to stall last. Based on that I'm thinking 3,2 0 bottom to top wing, What say you?
Walt

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
One more for drooling (-:

Walt Thyng
09-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Whew!!!! The secret was getting a Walgreen's low res floppy made.

I've got all the movable flight surfaces framed up and will try to get some photos later. The plans call for throwing 1/4 in balsa at them, but I chose to build them up for a more scale appearance. I also re-aligned the scallops to match the rib spacing. Got to start thinking about the pull/pull systems.

Oh yes, some of you purists will be unhappy, but I've discovered that my old reliable Astro 40G will do a perfect job powering this baby and I may stay wih NiMh for cost and balance reasons (did I mention that I built up a 20 cell round pack for the Camel that fits in the cowl?).
Walt

WWI Ace
09-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I am drooling Walt!! The wait for the pics was worth it!! You are qiute the builder. If you ever decide to "kit" one out, let me know. It would take me forever to cut all those ribs!! What do you use to cut them out? I have looked and looked for a 36"-40" wingspan tripe kit and can't find one. Have you decided whose plane your going to do? I would like to build either Werner Voss' tripe or maybe the all flat black tripe of leading tripe ace Joeseph Jacobs. You have to keep us up to date on this build. I can't wait to see the finished plane! As far as "exact" scale outline, I don't see a problem with fudging here and there to get a better flying plane. As long as it doesn't get too carried away. I thought about buying the ARF tripe from Polkshobbies but it seems like alot of people have a hard time getting them to fly right on an electric conversion.

scalercflyer
09-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Man O Man Walt!! What great building!! I can't wait for the flight report. Seems like everybody does the same old red tripe. Do something different. I have some great ideas if you would like. My "other" hobby is researching WWI aviation history, particullary German fighters. Say the word and I will provide. BTW guys, I have a set of tripe plans for Depron in e-mailable format. If anyone wants them, say the word and it's yours!!

WWI Ace
09-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Hey Scalercflyer, I would be interested in a set of those plans if you have time!!!

Walt Thyng
09-06-2005, 03:08 AM
If you check my earlier post I used a ply template for the basic ribs (about 40) and then a second for the ribs that are sheeted over. Making the templates does take time, but after that I only needed to make four sets.

Sorry, but I have no intention of "kittng" these plan. since they are from
"Model Builder" I assume they might be available through bill Northup.

Scale Flyer, as I indicated earlier,I found an authentic color scheme that I had never seen before buried deep in a "google" search on the Dr.1.

Fitted the bottom wing today. It came our dead on at 2 degrees +.

WWI Ace
09-07-2005, 11:32 PM
I was asking about what tools you use to cut them once you have the rib patterns? I think you misunderstood my question. Sorry, sometimes I don't make myself very clear.

Bear
09-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Ace,
Here is another one for you, this one is NOT scale.
I'll attempt to attach 2 photos.
Bear

Bear
09-08-2005, 03:29 AM
Hmmmm. . . . .
Aparently only one uploaded, another one. . . .

Bear
09-08-2005, 03:31 AM
I'm not doing something right I guess . . . I'll have to
read some . . . . .
Bear

Bear
09-08-2005, 04:11 AM
OK, I have found the key. . . I guess.
On my screen I am getting a long horizontal box outlined in blue
for the attachments.
In the previous posts you guys have made there have been small
dash blue lines inside the box. I have been able to put my
cursor on and click to open when it gives me "the finger" . . .
maybe I should say "the hand". It then opens the file.
I also found that the boxes with no dash blue line in them
would give me the finger If I moved the cursor very slowly
inside the box. Click and it opens a file.
Is this what is taking place with everyone else, or do I have
some setting screwed up?
I did see that there were actually two files loaded in my first
post although there was only one blue dash line showing.
Bear

Walt Thyng
09-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Ace: once I have the templates done I roughcut the ribs on a Dremel equivalent saw, then I finish shaping then on a Demel sander with a fine grit (180-220) sandpaper. he fine grit keps me from over-sanding the blanks..

If I still haven't answered your question ask again.
Walt

PS fitted the mid wing today; lots of sanding. Have to start bending wre next.

Ron
09-08-2005, 09:21 PM
walt...I notice you are using a fairly symmetrical rib section....any particular reason??

Walt Thyng
09-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Ron,
as I mentioned earlier this plan is optimized for aerobatics. It is fun scale. The airfoil is fully symetrical and the stab has a diamond airfoil.
Walt

WWI Ace
09-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks Walt. That was what I wanted to know. I just didn't ask the question correctly. You'll have to excuse me. I am trying to learn about this scratchbuilding thing. I've built plenty of kits, but now I would like to try to build a plane with my own two hands!!!

WWI Ace
09-09-2005, 02:36 AM
Hey scalercflyer!!! I got the plans for the depron triplane. Is there only supposed to be two pages? I have a page with the wings, top view, and profile. The second page is the wing jigs. Are there any pages for former patterns? It's a cool set of plans!!! Have you built one of these? I would like to see some pics of a built plane. About what wingspan would you recommend? Sorry to "hammer" you with all these questions. I just want to be sure that I have all the information. I hope your family is well!!!

WWI Ace
09-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Bear. That's one crazy looking little triplane!!! Does it fly well? It looks like it would be fairly aerobatic. What power system do you have in it? You don't have to have a scale plane to post here. All you need is a WWI plane. Did you come up with this plane on your own or is it a kit? How about a video?

Walt Thyng
09-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Dr. 1 build update. should ahve some more photos mid-week. landing gear and cabane struts all bent. Sprung tail skid test fitted. Interplane struts test fitted.
Thinking about the cowling: should I just throw balsa at it or try to make a fiberglass one over a foam mold.
Walt

scalercflyer
09-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Hey WWI ace! Look to the post my son! Plans on the way! Of course you will keep us informed about the build won't you? I got bit by the FOKKER DVIII (Peter Rake 400 size, 36" WS) bug because of your inquiry and I think I will build one this winter. Watch for further developments Guys. BTW, WWI Ace, I'm adding ailerons to mine. After all, I don't want Anthony Fokker turning over in his grave!!! I have a really cool idea for you guys to comment on if you would be so kind. What do you think about me copying my coat of arms and applying to the fuse when I finish the camo scheme...sorta like a personal signature. I got the idea from the movie The Blue Max (one of my favorite movies BTW). Klugermanns DVII had his coat of arms on the fuse. Any of you Guys going to the NEAT fair this week in New York? I am. Are any of you guys building any WWI aircraft this winter? I would love to hear about it. I'd bet the others here would too. Boy this thread keeps going! You gotta love it. Keep in touch all. WWI scale rules! Martin

WWI Ace
09-13-2005, 12:54 AM
I can't wait to see the plans Martin!!! When I get them I will see if I can figure out a way to make ailerons also. That would be too cool!!! I plan on this plane being my Winter build. I have the Blue Max movie on DVD. Great triplane footage!!! I think it would be cool to put your "signature" on the side of your plane. I say go for it! Look at all the crazy paint schemes the real Flying Circus guys had. I just finished building a Revell 1/28th scale Fokker triplane in the all flat black with white rudder scheme of Joeseph Jacobs. I'm sure that you have heard of him! When I don't build RC planes I build plastic warbirds. I've gathered quite a collection of WWI planes. I also have alot of books on WWI German planes. It's been so windy lately, (15-20mph) that I haven't been able to fly. I am building a Sig Fokker DVII parkflyer that I've had for about 2 years. I have a Hitec 3 channel radio that was laying around along with a old brushed 5amp ESC so I thought, "What the heck, I need a relaxing Sunday plane!" I know it isn't exactly scale but it looks okay for what it is. Let me know how you decide to put ailerons on your DVIII. Again, Thanks for the plans!!!

WWI Ace
09-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Oh yeah Martin. I guess that your going to make the losenge camo pattern on your DVIII. How are you gonna do that? That's a pretty complicated pattern with alot of colors in it!!!

WWI Ace
09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Walt!!! I think that as good as that tripe looks so far it would be a pity not to try a fiberglass cowl! I'm just not sure how well a balsa one would look, even with your expert building abilities. Besides, if your tripes are like mine, sometimes they become a handful after landing and like to flip up on their nose. Too much of that and the balsa might not fare very well!! But it's your plane and you do what you want. I'm just giving you the 2 cents from me that you asked for. Can't wait for more pics!!! Keep us posted. You and Martin are my inspiration to even attempt to build from a set of plans. I expect you two to keep me motivated and I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions for you guys to answer.

scalercflyer
09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Well WWI Ace/Fellas... I guess I'm asking for it but I will attempt to do a lozenge camo scheme on the DVIII. I am going to photo copy my Coat of Arms and shrink it to the proper size, then paste it to the fuse. Aerodrome RC has some interesting lozenge schemes you can print out and use. See the site for more info. If any more of you scratch builders want to swap plans, let me know. You know WWI Ace, I too build plastic models when the mood hits (I knew there was something I liked about you Ace). You probably are as obsessed with WWI aviation as I am. BTW Guys, I have a very extensive reference WWI aviation library that I continually add to (still have the first book I ever collected). I started my collection in 1969. I would be honored to help anyone who is seeking info. Just let me know. Hmmmm what shall I build next???? Decisions, decisions...... Martin

WWI Ace
09-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Martin. I do have a question for you since you have so much WWI documentation. The only picture I have of Lothar Richthofen's triplane says that it was red and yellow. Is that true according to the information you have? It shows that the front of the fuse and the middle and bottom wings are the streaked olive drab color. From about the cockpit to the rudder are yellow. The cowl, all struts, and the wheel covers are red. The bottom of the plane is the typical sky blue color. I'm not sure if this was the only tripe he flew but the serial number is Fok DRI 454/17. It says that it was in Jasta 11, March 1918. I've got an extra DVFlighttech tripe and I thought this would be both an interesting and colorful plane to build if it's correct. I don't think that in all the RC triplanes I've seen has anyone ever modeled one of these. Have you ever seen one? That is, if this color scheme is accurate. Don't worry about it if you don't have the time to look it up. I was just wondering. I got this information from the book; Osprey Aircraft Of The Aces 40, Fokker DrI Aces of World War One.

Walt Thyng
09-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Here's a photo of the landing gear befor final trimming. The wheels are from an umbrella stroll and are close to the size my plans call for.

More photos tomorrow.
Walt

Ron
09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
looking good Walt...I used Fibreglass to do the cowl on the DR1, and balsa and ply for the cowl on the D V111....both seem to work well...I have had absolutely no nose over troubles with the DR 1....and am hoping the D V111 is going to be the same . I built a smaller version of the D V111
72" span rwo years ago, ...and it was fine so I'm hoping the 1/4 scale one does ok too. The new D V111 will be lozenge camo as is the first one, it will be painted free hand just as the full scale one was, one colour for fuselage top and sides...another for the bottom...OD wing, black and white stripes on the horizontal stab/elevator, and white rudder. it's all framed up at the moment, and I'm just making the wing mounting system for it now.....
power will be adequate to swing a 28" prop. It will also have the MG sounds installed. This system ( RAM ) is currently being used in the DR 1, and works great.;)

luc
09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
can you elaborate on this mg system? web adress? price? cnan you post the sound?

Walt Thyng
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Okay, my last Tripe build photo was of the partial landing gear with wheels.

Photo #1 of two pairs of umbrella stroller wheels that are close to the size I need. The red set weighs 3oz! It has about a hundred flights on my Jenny. The white set (1/2 in. smaller) weighs 4 oz! Take that Wms Bros (-:

Photo #2 is of the cabane. it is bent from on piece of 1/8 music wire and took about an hour to bend and get square. Just a vice, a hammer and pliers for tools (plus a square a ruler and a triangle)

Photo #3 is of the wing mount. The tips are electrical eyes.
Photo #4 shows fitting the cabane to the top wing.
Photo #5 shows the top wing mounted.

Next set will be of the cowl. I went with wood.
Walt

scalercflyer
09-15-2005, 12:17 AM
WWI Ace here is a good look at the Tripe LVR flew: http://www.wingstrut.com/fokker_dr_i.htmat
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Brother-Richtofen-Manfred-Lothar-von-Richtofen_W0QQitemZ6559731504QQcategoryZ360QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
More to come. Martin

WWI Ace
09-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Martin. I'm not able to pull up the wingstrut .com link but the Ebay one looks like the picture I have.Steve

scalercflyer
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
WWI Ace, you have all the images that I do for a camo scheme for LVR plane. I would also suggest you look at the tripe with the white and black diagonal stripes on the top plane. Also do a search on:http://www.fokkerdr1.com/ look in the artwork section. Guys, here are some of my favorite sites. I right click on the images and set as background for your computer front page.
http://www.kitparade.com/features01/albatrosdvamm_1.htm
http://www.wwiaviation.com/lozenge.shtml
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Miller/render/Albatros/
I do have several sets of plans for the ALBATROS series (from 1/4 scale to park flyer size). I plan to build one this winter. All the Best Guys, martin

Gordon
09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey all you Fokker pilots .... you'd better keep checking your six for my SE5a :p

Gordon

Ron
09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
luc:......I'm not able to post the sound, but I will post a link to the RAM site when I return home. Although it isn't " exactly " perfect sound wise, it's more than good enough to make bystanders go " Whoa....is that ever cool ! "

WWI Ace
09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I forgot about Ernst Udet's black and white striped tripe! That would probably be the best one for the DVFlighttech triplane because it's so small (1/12th scale). This would definitely keep it lighter because I could just leave the depron white and spray the black stripes. I think I can do a good enough job on the olive drab streaked camo that I won't gain much weight. While we're on the subject of the streaked green camo, I have a question. I have read different books and some say the planes were O.D. green streaks over lighter green and some say they were painted all sky blue with O.D. green lightly steaked over it. Which according to your info is correct? I have two books and two different descriptions. What do you think? Sorry to keep bugging you but you are so knowledgable about the subject!!! Thanks for all the time you spend answering all my questions!!!! Steve.

WWI Ace
09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Gordon!!! You'd better be careful!!! There are a whole lot of Fokker pilots and only one SE5a pilot! Watch the sun because we're looking for you!!!!

scalercflyer
09-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Achtung Gordon!!! Ve are the Huns in the Sun!!! Ve are going to put the wind up your tail!! Better check your six!!!! He He He :D :D

Walt Thyng
09-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Wl I decided to go with a wood cowl for my Dr.1 after I found a couple of blocks I had forgotten about.
Photo #1 the assembled blank
#2 rough cut blank ready to be faced
#3 faced blank tack glued to fuse. Note protective tape
#4 after 15 minutes of shaping w/ #60 sandpaper. Reference line is beginning of curved surface.
#5 after another 10 minutes. Reference line is for cowl face plate
#6 the result of less than an hour's work

I have sinced fitted the face plate and am now working on alignment before installing servos. Having a bit of a problem with the interplane struts. All the individual wing measurements are correct acording to the plans, but when I tried to fit the interplane the mid wing seems out of allignment. Have to study the plans some more.
Walt

WWI Ace
09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Martin!!!
I got the Fokker DVIII plans! Man are these cool!!! The closest Hobby shop is 60 miles away and I can't wait to get some wood!!! I am so excited. Now I need a new outrunner for the front of it. Gotta use an outrunner to get the scale feeling of the real engines torque. After all, the real planes engine was just a fuel burning outrunner right? What are you going to cover yours with? Solite or something similar? Thanks again for the plans. I'll keep you up to date once I get started on the build.
Fellow Fokker pilot,
Steve

scalercflyer
09-17-2005, 09:14 PM
WWI Ace! the pleasure is mine! Please enjoy them and if you want, give a copy to someone else who just "needs" to build one also. Polyspan is an excellent covering material available from Aerodrome RC (comes in a 25 foot roll). You will need to use SIG stix it to adhere it to the airframe. It can be sprayed for that "official" look and feel. Just remember to only spray just enough to cover it. It will not crush delicate structures when you shrink it. What size Outrunner are you planning to use? I may just end up buying one too. Perhaps we should do a simultaious build. I think that would be cool don't you? I have a geared 350 GWS drive I could also use. I place orders with Balsa USA or Lonestar for wood. I also strip my own to get the proper size. On the airlerons, I think I can hide a single servo in the wing for the airlerons or I may opt to use 2 PICOs or Blue Birds. Let me know what you think. Hey Guys, who else wants to do a WWI build? Come on don't be shy, step up to the plate. Martin

scalercflyer
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Walt, I am blown away by your build on the DRI! Please keep the pics and progress reports coming. You are doing an excellent job on the tripe!. I'm jealous I'm not building one too. Perhaps this winter. All the Best, Martin

WWI Ace
09-18-2005, 04:20 AM
Scalercflyer. I have a Eflite Park 400 940kv outrunner that I'll probably use. It will fly a plane up to 20oz. I like the outrunners because they are easy to mount, no gear ratios to figure out, and they are very quiet. I think I can run up to a 11x4.7 prop. Should have more than enough power. I want to sit down and "study" the plans so I can start thinking about the build. I do that with plastic planes too. I like to look something over and then give my brain time to digest it. It gives me time to get a battleplan together. You smart guys probably don't have to do that. Anyway, I was also going to ask you what your technique is for rib cutting? What do you use to cut out the ribs? Enough questions for tonight. I was up until 3:30am finishing the marathon build on the Fokker DVII parkflyer. Not a scale plane but it looks okay. Didn't get to maiden it today because once again the wind was blowing 20mph. Maybe tomorrow after church!! I'm gonna get some sleep, talk to you guys tomorrow!!!

Walt Thyng
09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey Ace,
studying the plans and coming up wioth a "batttle plan" is a big part of the fun (-:
Walt

scalercflyer
09-18-2005, 01:06 PM
WWI Ace, what is the part number for the motor you are going to use and what is a good price? Also what are you using for a speed controller? I would like to see the motor you are talking about. martin

Walt Thyng
09-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Here's the last batch of photos on my Dr.! build (I've spent more on film and developing than I did on the tripe).

Photo #1 built up control surfaces instead of the 1/4 slabs called for in the
plans. I'm using robart hinge points because they'll look more scale even
though this is far from scale bird.
#2 framed out rudder. Note ply doubler from lower rib to bottom. There's
not a lot of mass there and I know it'll take a beating in a nose over.
#3 reinforcing blocks for mid wing bolts.
#4 fitting fuse top blocks to mid wing
#5 external dry fit of sprung tailskid.
#6 midwing alignment
#7 looking a lot like a Triplane (-:
#8 weight as shown in previous photo. Bare airframe only. All up weight of 6lbs looks very attainable.
#9 checking botom wing aglignment. Dead square at 2 degrees incidence. Just what the plans call for.

WWI Ace
09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Scalercflyer. Go to horizonhobby.com and look up the E-flite Park 400 920Kv brushless outrunner. If I'm reading this sheet right the part number is EFLM1305. I will probably also use their 20amp brushless ESC because it's fairly inexpensive and I've had good luck with it so far. It is also made by E-flite and its part number is EFLA311. I like this stuff because it comes with gold bullet connectors already installed. The motor comes with an extra set of gold bullet connectors, motor mount with screws, and an aluminum collet type prop adapter. When you buy an AXI all this stuff has to be purchased seperately. The motor is supposed to fly a 16oz. plane 3-D so it will have plenty of power. The motor weighs 2ozs. I got the motor at my LHS, (which is actually 60 miles away!). It had a $59.99 price tag but when I took it to the counter they only charged me $49.99. Cool huh!! I try to buy stuff from them when they have it. Anyway I've rambled on long enough. Take a look at this power system and see what you think. It will swing up to a 11x4.7 prop. Steve.

WWI Ace
09-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Walt. That tripe looks great!!! I would love to have the building skills you possess! Your building style looks so clean. Must have taken you more than a plane or two to get that good! Can't wait to see it finished since you won't tell us which pilots tripe your going to do. Steve.

scalercflyer
09-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Walt, would you be so kind as to identify those DRI plans you have for me? I do not have a set of plans for the DRI. I do have a set of plans for the Sopwith tripe (and just about every other fighter there was in WWI). Are those plans available anywhere? I have some suggestions for camo schemes if you would like. See some of the previous replys I sent to WWI Ace for websites. BTW, I have just about every book on the DRI that was ever printed ( it's my favorite plane). I have always been fascinated with it. I am currently reading a book called Three Wings for the Red Baron. A very interesting book and well worth the price. I buy a lot of reference material from AMAZON.com. I know it cost you a few bucks for the pics you posted, but I for one am grateful you posted the pictuers. I feel as though I am there with you on the build. All the Best, Martin

Walt Thyng
09-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Scalercflyer: the plans I am using are from Model Builder in 1976 or 78. It is a Bryce Peterson design. In some ways it's been a tough build because there are no instructions even in the accompanying article. you really have to think about what Peterson intended. I'm sure part of the problem is that I'm looking at a 70's plan though 05 eyes.

WWI Ace: every writer keeps a little something for the last page (-:

Finished squaring everything up and fitting the interplane struts yesterday. Aileron servos arrived yesterday also. Tried fitting my circular battery pack from the Camel, but it's just a litttle too big. I could go with a sixteen and a four cell pack, but will probably go with a double row semi-circular pack of ten cells each.
Walt

Backyardace
09-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Just came accross this thread and thought I would post a pic of the group of WWI planes we had out this weekend.

Mine is the Dr I it is a kit from Aerodrome rc
Fokker DVII kit from Aerodrome rc
DH2 kit from Kavan
Spad scratch built

Walt Thyng
09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I just checked my Dr.1 plans they are from Flying Models not Moidel builder. I can't find a date, but the accompanying article show a first generation Orbit proportional radio which puts it into the late 60s or early 70s.

Confession time: the reason I was having trouble fitting the interplane struts is that the top wing was an inch too far forward. I've come up with a relatively easy fix. Cut an inch off the leading edge of the cabane mounts and add it to the TE with a brass coupler. With a little care and a jig, I should be able to use the same screw holes in the top wing. Will document it with photos.
Walt

e

WWI Ace
09-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Nice to have you with us Backyardace!!! The planes you posted look great! I really like your triplane. I've been looking at that kit for awhile. Was it a good build? Did all the parts fit together well? What power system are you using in it? Tired of the questions yet? I just like to hear about what people are flying and what they're flying it with. What did you cover it with and did you have to paint the covering? Help us keep this thread going. There are some really great guys on hear with alot of helpful information and they aren't afraid to share it. Except for Walt not telling us whose triplane he is building. That's okay though, I like the mystery!! Walt must be a great card player because never lets you know what cards he's holding until the very end!!!

WWI Ace
09-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey Walt! I meant to ask you why you don't use lipoly batteries? I guess though that with short nosed planes like the Fokker tripe the extra weight of "normal" batteries might be a benefit to keep from adding nose weight right? Hope you get your strut problem worked out! It sounds like you have a plan.

WWI Ace
09-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Scalercflyer! Did you check on that motor yet? What do you think? You have to admit that these Fokkers will be alot more scale with a motor spinning around under the cowl.

Backyardace
09-22-2005, 02:09 AM
I've been looking at that kit for awhile. Was it a good build? Did all the parts fit together well? What power system are you using in it? Tired of the questions yet? I just like to hear about what people are flying and what they're flying it with. What did you cover it with and did you have to paint the covering?

Kurt's kits are very nice and the parts fit together well. The guy who has the DVII in the picture is building a smaller DR I from Aerodrome with a 24" wingspan. It will be his 4th kit from them.

I have a Himax 2025-4200 with a 6.6 to 1 gearbox. More motor than it needs but I needed the weight up front.

I think the covering is Ultracote or Ultracote Light. It is black covering, not painted.

Here is another pic.

WWI Ace
09-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Very impressive!!!! How did you do the markings for Jacobs triplane?

Walt Thyng
09-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Three reasons I'm not using LiPos: cost, weight and poor experience so far. I've ruined four Thunder Power packs so far. Apparently their minimum discharge is really their maximum. Just heard that Keith Shaw really likes KoKam's 20C cells. guess it just proves the old adage buy cheap buy twice and double that for electric!
Walt

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, WWI Ace I did look at the motor. Looks good to me. I sure agree with you about the look and feel with the motor. I suppose you can whip up a rotary engine real quick with some balsa. BTW guys, I attended the NEAT fair in up state New York 2 weekends ago. I was blown away with the performance and variety of the aircraft and equipment. I spent 2 days in a fog. I talked to a guy who built the Formosa by GWS. He showed me the motor etc he was using and said "hang around I'm going to fly it". So I see this plane with no landing gear and figured he was going to hand launch it. WRONG!!! He gave it full throttle and just dropped it!! It went STRAIGHT UP and out of sight in seconds!!!!! I promptly went and bought the the whole setup battery, motor and controller (it just so happens I have the kit)!!! Talk about hook line and sinker!!! The setup is a HACKER 20-20L, 20 AMP controller and 1330MAH, 11 Volt battery. I also bought a spare motor through the mail a week later. I figure I can find a WWI fighter to stick this motor eventually!!! Any suggestions Guys??? Martin

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Backyardace, you did a tremendous job building the DRI! How does it fly? Any problems landing?? :confused: Kurt does indeed do a great job on his kits. The only problem is which one to pick!! How about hearing from you other Guys about the one you just have to have. I'm going to be poor....decisions, decisions. The tripe is on my hit list for "have to have kits". Christmas is coming. Hmmm maybe I should say something..... :D :D Martin

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:23 AM
BOY, do I love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!

flypaper 2
09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Just for laughs, guys, Built a DR1 a long time ago and found out on the real one, the left ail. has more area than the right one.:p

Walt Thyng
09-25-2005, 04:16 AM
Martin, did you get my PM?
Walt

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Guys!! This thread has been viewed 1500 times!! WOW! Scale is the Best!! Martin

watt_the?!
09-25-2005, 12:16 PM
hey guys can i play here too?

l,ove those ww1 birds!

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Check this out boys.
http://www.wwiaviation.com/lozenge.shtml

Martin

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
SWEET WATT-THE! Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us a little about each one. Kits, how they fly, power, batts, etc. Looking forward to your reply. Martin

scalercflyer
09-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's another Boys.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/click_trips/jul05/dh2_pullpull1.asp
Martin

watt_the?!
09-25-2005, 12:33 PM
sure thang.

the blue dr1 is the dare kit converted to aileron, tissue/dope covered, scale ww1 lerhone radial, hyperion powered, 1550mah 3s flies like a sports car.

the dvii is dare again, converted aileron, dope/tissue, mpjet bb race gb and mpjet motor, 3s 1550 flies great, doesnt roll too fast though, got videos of each of these flying...oh, scale spoked wheels, 13 inch prop...lol...

um next is the polks hobby dr1, 36 inch span a real mutha to get cog right, but what a flyer...very scale except forf the oversize rudder. got an axi 2820/10 in it and 3s2p 1550 in the cowl. crashed on test flight due to faulty base loaded antenna having only about 250ft range...got me another in the hangar now...couldnt resist. scale radial, williams bros 1/6 spandaus, iron cross (?) scale pilot.

fokker eindekker eiii slimer, TT 54 4 stroke, fully working wing warping via pulley, solatex covering..flew like the real thing...tricky, rudder only turns (any banks cuased major loss of altitude)...big, noisy and now sold...

the sopwith is the dare kit again but not aileron converted. was one of my first dare kits and i botched the wings. it flew but like a pig. each wing was warped but seemed to cancel out- kinda. needed alot of rudder to fly straight...it is now retired (because of it being a pig to fly). flew on 3s 1550 of course and mpjet outrunner.

might have to nudge the admin for personal galleries eh?

Thanks for the interest...

Tim.

WWI Ace
09-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Scalercflyer. Any new WWI kits or ARFS at the Neat Fair that you can tell us about?

scalercflyer
09-26-2005, 03:27 AM
WWI Ace and Guys, I was somewhat disappointed with the turnout @ the NEAT fair for WWI planes (only saw 2). I did run accross Brian Allen who did the Alpha build for Kurt B. (Aerodrome RC). on the Pfalz DIIIa. He did a great job on it and it flew beautifully. Also saw a DII Albatros which appeared to have been built to precision scale. Absolutely stunning! The owner was a B 17 pilot in WWII. I took away some observatons with me when I left. 1:It seems that very few people want to build anymore. What a pity! :( I personally love building as much as flying. 2:I was shocked at the amount of ARFs there. :eek: 3:Bargains were to be found (see my reply above) and much info was shared. I enjoyed the trip and the fair very much and plan to attend again next year (LORD willing). I appreciate all you Fellows here. WWI scale is far from dead. I believe it is making a comeback (see all the views on this thread). Together we will all keep the interest alive. I urge you all to share your ideas, dreams, hopes (and building techniques) here. You certainly have a fellow pilot and WWI nut here who will listen to you. Check your six!! God Bless all of you. Martin

scalercflyer
09-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Here is a technique I use for cockpit coaming. Take a worn out shoe tongue or old wallet (I save them just for this) and cut a couple of thin strips. If nessacary, you can fold the end over to make a seam and a longer strip and glue with a small drop of CA. Leave the strip wide enough so you can stitch it to the sides of the fuse. If you need more of a fat cross section, stuff it with a small amount of round foam or something similar. Let's face it, nothing looks and feels like real leather!! It will look great I promise! Hope you find this helpful. Martin

watt_the?!
09-26-2005, 03:42 AM
call me lazy, but i just get a large gauge section of fuel tubing and cut it down the centre and push onto the perimeter and glue with ca.

scalercflyer
09-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Walt, I did get your E-mail. Just got back from CANADA on a business trip. Will PM you soon. Martin

scalercflyer
09-26-2005, 03:46 AM
WATT-THE what kind of fuel line coaming looks like leather???? Just kidding. Of course your way is easy and cheap to do. I am somewhat of a purist, so I make my own. I think it looks real cool. Martin

Walt Thyng
09-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Watt the?!:
nice fleet.
Walt

hstew
09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
This looks like the place to be! Check out our line of WWI foam fighters at www.roughandreadyaviation.com (http://www.roughandreadyaviation.com)

scalercflyer
09-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Welcome hstew!!!!! I am happy you found us! The website you sent is interesting. Tell us more about the site. I like to kit and scratch build a lot. Have you seen this website? http://www.aerodromerc.com/ Kurt has some fantastic kits. I take it you like WWI aircraft? If so you will fit in here just fine. Do tell us about your DVII. If you have any other aircraft, tell us about them too. Also would you be so kind as to tell us about yourself? What do you like? How long have you been flying RC, etc. I would like to get to know you better (only if you want to.... no pressure) and I'll bet the others Guys here would too. All the Best. Martin

scalercflyer
09-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey Guys!! The word gets around Huh? WWI aircraft rule!! :D WWI Ace, did you start on that DVIII yet? If not, what's taking you so long!!!!??? :confused: I'm starting to gather wood for the build. I have to check my stock of the Balsa wood to see what I need. Would you like to see the progress? I will post pics and reports as I build. How about the rest of you Guys???? :confused: Come on! Step up to the plate!!! WWI Ace and I are scratch building 2 DVIIIs(Peter Rake 36"WS, 400 size). How about someone else doing another aircraft? I have lots of plans..... Martin

walterk
09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Good to hear so many people enjoy the history and challenge of WW1 scale aircraft. Like you my passsion is WW1 planes. I have built a few over the years, in several sizes and with various power plants gas, glow and electric. My latest is a 1/5 scale Proctor Nieuport 11 powered by a .70 four stroke OS. Getting into electrics has added to the mix. I have built and flown a little Eindecker speed 400. One of my favorites and a very good flyer is a little Nieuport 28 by Scopio. It takes off from grass and flys in pretty substatial winds. I also have a Sig Jenny which is a marginal flyer but looks good in the air. Last winter I picked up a Fokker Dr1 Triplane at the WRAM show. I haven't decided whether to go electric or power it with a four stroke but it should fly great. Like to hear what everyone is working on. I saw a really beautiful Albatros D2 at the NEAT fair a few weeks ago. A real work of art. I think it was built by the owner of Aerodrome models.

Walt

scalercflyer
09-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Welcome Walt! I love to hear about WWI planes anywhere they may be. Walt, I too was at the NEAT fair and saw the very plane you mentioned. You are right, it was a work of art. I wish I had more time to talk to the owner of the DII. BTW, which DRI kit did you buy? I have a very large WWI aviation reference library. If I can help you research anything, just say the word. I will be glad to help. All the Best, martin

turnwaldw
09-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I have a GTM Fokker DVl that I am going to make into an electric I have the wings done but over the summer the honey dues caught up to me. It will be my first large scale electric Glenn says it flys really stable on g26 so hopefully it will be same with an electric up front.
Just my 2cents.
Dave

walterk
09-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Scalercflyer

Thanks for responding to my post. The Fokker Dr1 that I bought is from Polk's Hobbies. It has a 40" wing span and the manufacturer suggests a speed 400 (geared) which seems like it would be a little bit under powered. The workmanship is pretty good with a nice covering job (red ofcourse).

Walt

scalercflyer
09-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I have yet to see anyone in the chat room. :confused: Perhaps we should all meet and shoot the breeze. What do you Guys think? Might turn into something great. Friday night after 8 PM (EST) is good for me. :D Martin

WWI Ace
09-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah Scalercflyer I'll try to be in the chat room. Hey Walterk!! There is a moderator here that goes by Watt the. He posted earlier in this thread. It has some pictures of his Polks Hobbies tripe. It looks pretty good, although the rudder looks a little big to me. Anyway he could probably help you with a power system and the CG, because according to him it is a little tricky to get it to come out right.

WWI Ace
09-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Scalercflyer, I haven't got any wood yet. Work is being a pain! But I hope to soon. I'm ready to get started!!! Please post pictures of the build if you have the time. That would help me with mine!!! I've been working from 5am to 5pm and I'm pretty worn out when I get in and my youngest son, (one of three) still thinks I should have time to hang out with him before a 9pm bedtime. I'll get on it as quick as I can though!!!

WWI Ace
09-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Walt Thyng!! How's that tripe coming????

watt_the?!
09-29-2005, 11:38 PM
i think ill start a new thread for the polk dr1...

Walt Thyng
09-30-2005, 04:52 AM
WW1 Ace,
the Tripe is coming along fine. Work has been a load lately (we just decided to start a 4-5 million dollar building program). I've got the interplane strut sockets fitted and faired. The aileron hinges have been fitted as have the elevators'. Next step is to fit the aileron servos and then develop the tail surface push-pull cable routes. After that it is finish sanding and covering. I'm taking photos. As soon as i have 24 i'll get them developed. (It's going to cost $175 to repair my $199 digital camera. Guess i'll be buying a new one. Anybody using the Polarois digitals?)
Walt

hstew
09-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Scale Flyer asked me several questions. I will try and answer them.

I've been building model airplanes most of my life. I first flew RC (if you could call it controlled!) in the early 50's with my father. I first tried electrics about the time that NiMh batteries became available. I've never flown an electric with a NiCad. I have pretty much switched to electrics only at this point.

Another modeler and myself formed Rough and Ready Aviation www.roughandreadyaviation.com (http://www.roughandreadyaviation.com) the first of this year. So far we have developed five WWI designs ( Fokker DVII, Nieuport 28, Fokker Dr1, Sopwith Camel and Albatros) plus a Super Stearman and a Weeks Solution. All of the designs are Depron Foamies with about 350 square inches of wing area and they weigh between 11 and 14 ounces. We think they are perfect for park flying. They are profiles of course but in the air they are very realistic looking. We've tried combat and aside from being a little hard on the airplanes it is really a lot of fun.

WWI Ace
09-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I've seen the planes. They are pretty cool!!!

WWI Ace
10-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Hey Scalercflyer. As soon as I got out of the chatroom with you I started looking for balsa. Ended up ordering from National Balsa. Prices seemed fair. They had all the sizes I needed. I asked my wife if I could have a stripper. She said not as long as I was married to her! HA!HA! So I just bought the correct sizes. Anyway, woods on the way!!

scalercflyer
10-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey WWI Ace! I have 2 strippers, but I haven't found the right time to tell my wife! BTW, you are a sick man! I'm still laughing about your comment. Martin

hstew
10-04-2005, 02:37 AM
This is fun! Like I said, a little hard on airplanes but the foam is easy to repair. Just wack off the damaged part and epoxy on a replacement.

watt_the?!
10-04-2005, 02:58 AM
hstew,

they look great:D ....BUT....how about some full fuse versions?;)

then i'd be interested for sure...i love building with depron.

and, (horses for courses), i hate profile planes...:(

any plans on doing fuse types?

Tim.

WWI Ace
10-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Just my two cents worth, but aren't they a little expensive for profile planes?

hstew
10-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Well guys, they are semi-profiles. The fuselage is made from three laminations of 6 mm Depron which allows all the wiring and ESC to be concealed within the fuselage and the receiver, servos, and battery to be partially concealed. The kits include everything necessary to complete the airframes. Carbon tube spars, formed aluminum landing gears, aluminum motor mounts, wheels, hinges, pushrods, EZ connectors, al the nuts, bolts, and screws necessary, The various ply and wood blocks for gear and servo mounting, even the velcro for attaching the battery. Plus, the fuselage is pre assembled in a jig to assure accurace and has the pushrod tubes already installed. So all in all they are not quite your ordinary profile.

Walt Thyng
10-05-2005, 04:23 AM
hey check out this site http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3421806
Walt

watt_the?!
10-05-2005, 06:08 AM
nice link Walt.:)

Walt Thyng
10-05-2005, 02:22 PM
There's another post today on RCU under the name "Dawn patrol.' Some really nice close-ups of a DR.1 and a ew other WWI birds.
Walt

WWI Ace
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Cool Walt,Thanks!!! Great reference photos!!!

Ron
10-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Here's a Fokker DR1 axi Powered...20 cells...30X14 prop.

Ron
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
let's try again

WWI Ace
10-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey Ron, did you figure out how to post those pictures yet???

Ron
10-08-2005, 06:48 PM
The file is too big, so I'll have to make it somewhat smaller should have it done today sometime after work.

Ron
10-08-2005, 07:19 PM
maybe this will work

Ron
10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Maybe now??.........YESSS...The Dr1 in the pickup truck has a smaller 27" span model perched on the tailplane in the second picture, mine is second from the left...first one on the left was built from my plans
Models in order are...1/3 size DR1....1/3 size DR1...1/4 size D V1 and 1/5 size D V11, and a 1/5 sized E 111...I am currently building a 1/4 sized D V111 to add to the " Jasta" all are electric powered, and all fly on 20 cells or less....D V1...10 cells....E 111 ...10 cells...to give you some idea of size....the funny looking guy leaning over the DR1 is over 6 ft. tall

WWI Ace
10-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Great pictures Ron!!! How about a little more info on the power system in the big tripe. That is one good looking plane!!! I have two of the little tripes in one of those pictures. That picture makes it look like a RC plane sitting on the tailplane of the 1:1 plane!!! Man, if I only had the money to build something with that kind of size!!! Steve.

scalercflyer
10-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Boy Ron, I'm impressed! Tell us more! I am especially interested in the DVI. Who's plans, size, WS, equipment used, etc. All the Best, Martin

watt_the?!
10-08-2005, 11:28 PM
how about my little DR1?

span is 18".

scalercflyer
10-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Sweeettttt!!!!!

NitroCharged
10-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I have been watching this thread and I guess I should start putting my WW1 models up. Here's my foamie fokker:

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/fokker_rear.jpg

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/fokker_pilot.jpg

Twmaster
10-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I just got a Keith Sparks SE5a kit and am clearing the work table for it to get front and center attention.

http://www.eam.net/EAMRC/skunkworks/SE5a/SE5a.htm

I just love the SE5a! Watch out Fritz! I'm ah-commin to get ya!

Ron
10-09-2005, 01:08 AM
the Dr1...D V1....E 111 etc are from my own plans
the DR 1 is powered by axi...D V1 by Maxcim D wind, and the E 111 is powered by a brushed Atomic force on a 7 to 1 gearbox...also home made...The big DR1 has a hand made prop and is on a 2 to 1 reduction with 20 round cells ....it weighs in at 10 1/2 pounds all up.

Ron
10-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Martin...D V1 is from my plans...68" wing span 6 1/2 pounds...
The D V111 I'm currently building is also from my own plans.

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Ron builds nice planes doesn't he Martin!! Hey Martin, I got a email from National Balsa. My wood should be here on Tuesday according to the tracking. Guess I'd better get ready to start building!! It has been so windy around here that I haven't been able to fly anyway. Think I'll make a pink plane that way you guys can't say, "Why don't you do something besides red fokkers!" What do you think? Maybe pink with purple maltese crosses trimmed in orange. Sounds good, huh? Steve.

50+AirYears
10-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I don't know if this has been mentiioned but the English publications Aviation Modeler International and Flying Scale Modeler have had a number of full-sized plans for WW1 planes for motors in the geared 400 range. Both mags will often carry a free full size plan with a very basic construction article.

Twmaster
10-09-2005, 02:23 AM
I don't know if this has been mentiioned but the English publications Aviation Modeler International and Flying Scale Modeler have had a number of full-sized plans for WW1 planes for motors in the geared 400 range. Both mags will often carry a free full size plan with a very basic construction article.

That is one thing I miss about my LHS changing hands. They no longer carry the British magazines with all those great plans. :(

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Hey 50+airyears!! Do you have any of these plans and would you be willing to sell copies or trade them? Martin and I are always looking for plans of that size. Especially German aircraft. Steve.

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey Nitrocharged, that's the little triplane on the DVFlightech gallery isn't it? My ugly red tripe is in that gallery below yours!!

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey Wattthe!? That blue tripe looks good!! Is that also the DVFlighttech tripe? How did you streak it like that? I want to do the olive drab streak thing on my second one but I was afraid it would add too much weight if I painted it and then drybrushed streaks into it.

50+AirYears
10-09-2005, 02:40 AM
At the request of my domestic slavedriver OOps, I mean loving wife, they are currently stored in boxes in my attic. She wants me to retire so we can immediately move to SC. I think the mag might be available through Kalbach, or Traplett. Maybe they have back issues available. I've also picked up back issues at the Toledo show. Also Model World, another English publication.

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:50 AM
50+AirYears I understand what you are talking about! My wife thinks all my rc stuff should fit in a shoebox!! A few times I have come home from the flying field with a plane that would fit in a shoebox!! Then she's mad 'cause I broke one. I can't win for losing!!!

50+AirYears
10-09-2005, 03:21 AM
But, on the plus side, my wife actually likes to come with me and hold my control line planes before take-off, and even likes to help out a bit with the FAC FF. She also likes to show off the Ship-in-a bottles I've made over the years. Shes even had me make a couple for friends and relatives as presents. And she is after me to build a model railroad layout when we move to SC. Just doesn't seem to like the RC.
By the way, I'm in three different AMA chartered clubs here in Ohio, out of the approximately 127 listed. One RC, one CL, and one FF. The RC club of which I am treasurer is only one of a number with over 120 members.

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 03:25 AM
Maybe you should teach her to fly!! Does she fly any of your CL planes?

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 03:33 AM
Hey Nitrocharged. Did you ever get that micro Fokker MkIII worked out?

50+AirYears
10-09-2005, 04:14 AM
I have had her in the center of the circle a couple of times, but she has some health problems compounded by incompetant doctors, so about all she can do is sometimes wind an fly rubber FF if I wind and she holds.

MoCarz.com
10-09-2005, 07:34 AM
:D Greetings all! :D

Yet another former RCGroups.com member here, as well as a HARD CORE WWI aviation enthusiasts! I pretty much fell off the planet for a while, and last left off at 'that other place' with my current projects. I have HobieStoke try out some scale 'Flying Wires' for me that I have now kitted, as well as have FINALLY started getting some progress done on my accessory kits and my airplane kits. I am trying to create a whole new style of R/C airplane, both in how it is built and the materials used, and finally, after more than a year of trial and error, am finally proud to say I have almost completed them! First up, as some of you from 'over there' who have seen my post remember, I am working on the infamous Nieuport 17c as my first kit. They are all 1/12th SCALE R/C airplanes. Just a hint at the scale additions that I am adding to the kits can be seen below in the progress of the latest prototype build up. In fact, at the rate things have been falling together lately with the kits, I am pretty sure I can have them available shortly before Christmas! What I DO have right now are my 1/12th Scale Lewis Air Machine Guns, which got their big debut at the N.E.A.T. fair last month. A BLAST of a show, great planes, and even better people. DEFINITELY will be back next year, but going a week early so as to make the Old Rhinebeck Modelers Club show! Nothing better than flying your R/C WWI plane in the morning, then taking off in the real thing that afternoon!

Anywho, Just wanted really to pop in and say HI! to all, and must say I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading through this thread. Especially all the progress on the homebuilt/plans built kits! FANTASTIC to see that there still ARE builders among us! In fact, that's another aspect of the hobby I am hopeful in bringing back with my kits. They are simple enough that the ARF only guys could put one together, but filled with enough scale options that the kit builders while enjoy them just if for nothing else than the level of scale they can go with them and still fly.

Looking forward to many more post, and joining in on many discussions! Just cant say how happy I am though to have found more WWI fans out there! Was seriously beginning to think that my buddy and I are the only fans of these WONDERFUL ol' 'stick-n-fabric' beauties!

Take care all and looking forward to following all the progress here!
Clay Wood
http://www.mocarz.com (http://www.mocarz.com)
visit our website to see a list of airplane kits and accessories that we have in the works!

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Can't wait to see these in production!! Yes there are alot of us here building and flying WWI birds. Your stuff looks great and I'm definitley interested!!! How about a Fokker DR1. Are you thinking about one of those? I can't wait for the other guys to see your pictures. You'll create quite a stir I think!!! Stay in touch with us!!! Steve.

NitroCharged
10-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Steve,
Yes - the dv foamie on his site. I still think yours is a very clean looking model. :)
Tim's is the same with the grey color, hand painted - looks nice in real life too.

I got sidetracked with a few things here but am ready to get back into the micro fokker now. Most of my fleet had been broken and I hadn't fixed them so basically ended up with nothing to fly so made that Sukhoi and then the weather turned bad for a while which allowed me to fix all models and make a little midget jet too. No gear mounted as yet.

So for the fokker I have to strip down the KP-00 motor and find out why it doesn't go well. If that isn't the problem I am going to skin out the undercam of the wings to reduce the significant drag these 3 wings are making! I know that will fix it but it will also fly a lot faster but I don't think it will be an issue as at present it flies a little faster than a brisk walking speed. ;)
For those of you that haven't seen - this is the model Steve is talking about: 12" wingspan, weight ~31g, WIP.

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/micro_fokker/14.jpg

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/micro_fokker/progress/1.jpg

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/micro_fokker/progress/3.jpg

You just can't fly too far away.....! :cool:

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Hey Wattthe!? That blue tripe looks good!! Is that also the DVFlighttech tripe? How did you streak it like that? I want to do the olive drab streak thing on my second one but I was afraid it would add too much weight if I painted it and then drybrushed streaks into it.

ahh, weight schmeight....i ignore all the weight warnings from kits/ARFs and just spec the power setup to allow for it.

it flew great until the Rx died.... so thats 2 DR1s that were shot down due to Rx issues...

the blue one is the DARE kit. Flies great...ive got about 6 flights on it. Rolls, loops, rudder turns, stall turns, inverted...does it all.

ive got video of it too..ill upload it.

Tim.

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Nitro!! If you get that little Fokker ready to go are you going to sell any kits? I would sure like to have a DR1 that small!! It looks pretty close to scale too. Let me know if you decide to sell any!! Steve.

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 12:32 AM
lol...Dave (NC) is a great builder/craftsman.

have you seen his micro su27?

gotta be seen to be believed.

now, Dave, can you make me one?

Tim.

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Wattthe!? Are you going to enlighten me on how you did the streaks? What paint did you use? What technique? You have my curiosity aroused!! Steve.

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Did you guys see the stuff Mocarz posted? He's got some cool sounding stuff on his website. Maybe he'll get everything ironed out by Christmas. His plane kits sound very interesting!!! Right up your alley Wattthe!?. WWI foam planes with laser cut formers. No profiles!!! Steve.

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Wattthe!? Are you going to enlighten me on how you did the streaks? What paint did you use? What technique? You have my curiosity aroused!! Steve.

just regular ol acrylic witha brush.

no tricks.

i did the same for the Polk's plane for the weathering...looks much better than the DV Fokker.

Tim.

watt_the?!
10-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Did you guys see the stuff Mocarz posted? He's got some cool sounding stuff on his website. Maybe he'll get everything ironed out by Christmas. His plane kits sound very interesting!!! Right up your alley Wattthe!?. WWI foam planes with laser cut formers. No profiles!!! Steve.

oh baby!

NitroCharged
10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Steve, that'd be fun (a kit) but if I do that I better make sure this thing flies great first lest I cop a backlash from the multitudes! ;)
It is very close to scale actually.

Tim, Which SU27 - the 16" or the 10" ?

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Nitro, an airplane only flies as good as it's built. I read in threads all the time where someone will write, " I got one of those _____ and it was a piece of junk!" I see those and I think, "Hmmm, I'm flying that same plane and it flies great!!" I take alot of stuff from people on these threads with a grain of salt unless I've talked to them enough to feel like they are competent. Is the little DR1 foam or balsa? How about a copy of the plans if you don't want to kit it? I am just gathering Winter projects to piddle with when it's too cold and snowy to fly. Steve.

NitroCharged
10-10-2005, 01:11 AM
The current model is balsa but I am getting some 1mm depron in and I will be making a foamie version. :)
I remember all the pages of questions Chris3D copped after posting his Moth and Pitts projects and they both flew straight off the bat for me.

WWI Ace
10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Nitro, let me know how it comes along. I'm interested. Did you draw your own plans? Steve.

NitroCharged
10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Steve: Will do. Yes I did :)

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 12:45 AM
All these small planes look great I have couple 1/4 but have been looking at the small ones to fly at our house we have a large field out back which is great for small stuff. What would be a good one to start with they all look great.
Dave

WWI Ace
10-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Do you want foam or balsa?

scalercflyer
10-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Hey Nitrocharged where did you get that foamie DRI????:confused: I think I need one :D WWI Ace, you're killing me with the pink airplane color scheme... don't make me come down there!!!!!!:eek: :D Martin

NitroCharged
10-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Geof of Smoothair in Canada has them in his store:

http://www.smoothair.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_1&products_id=28

It starts out white depron and clear plastic so you have to paint it up in your favourite color scheme :)

http://www.nitrocharged.com/images/carcas_foamie_dr1a.gif

Zoom it up with a feigao BL IPS replacement motor to have some nice fun with it in the park, still using the A Drive.

turnwaldw
10-11-2005, 11:29 AM
WWI Ace either or is good for me maybe one of both if the boss lets me.:D

Walt Thyng
10-11-2005, 02:29 PM
hey All, taking the latest roll of film on my Dr.1 to the store today. Bought a new digital camera a couple of days ago and am learning how to use it, so future posts should be more up to date. The next set of photos will take it up to final fitting and sanding before covering.
I'm really busy at work right now, so modeling'll be even slower for a bit.
Walt

scalercflyer
10-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Hey WWI ACE! notice the rudder on Nitrocharged foamie DRI! It's not overly big. Hhhhhhmmmmmm.... If I only had the outlines to the parts on that tripe.... betcha I could scratch build it! :D Nitro needless to say I likey the tripey. Lakehurst Naval Air Station with its huge blimp hangar is not far from me. They allow RC flyers to use the hangar (14 stories high!!!!:eek::eek: ). Guess where I'm flying this winter Guys!!:D :D

WWI Ace
10-12-2005, 02:39 AM
Nitro builds some cool stuff!!!

WWI Ace
10-12-2005, 02:39 AM
What's wrong with pink?

WWI Ace
10-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Scalercflyer. I have an extra set of plans for the foam triplane in the picture. If you want them they're yours!!! Just say the word and I'll send them!! Steve.

watt_the?!
10-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Clay,

The graphics on your site are brilliant!

Tim.

Walt Thyng
10-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Well here's the first batch of film based shots.

#1 interplane strut sockets and plans
#2, 3 bending the blanks
#4, 5 strut sockets and aileron servo
#6 three parallel wings
#7 strut screws
#8 gettiing close (-:

Next time: running the pull/pull cables.
Walt

WWI Ace
10-12-2005, 03:05 AM
Walt that looks great!!! Got my wood in yesterday. You've inspired me. I'm going to start tracing parts and cutting wood for the Fokker DVIII plans Martin sent me!!! Steve.

scalercflyer
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I'll take them WWI Ace! PM me for my addy. THANKS!!! martin

Walt Thyng
10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
WWI Ace: I've never tried it, but I read a construction articl recently whee the builder used acetone to transfer the drawings to the wood instead of tracing or pasting copies. I think it was ZMark Rettinger's B-26 article in MAN, but I'll look when I'm in the porcelin library (-:
Walt

Walt Thyng
10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
found the article. It's in the latest MAN and it's Jim Ryan's Zero construction piece.
WT

50+AirYears
10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Sometimeslines can be transferred tio wood using a hot iron, too. Depends on the copier toner.

Walt Thyng
10-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Well here are the last of my film based build photos. I've already discovered the real advantage of being able to check the shot. Several of those I took of the control cables didn't come out very good. I'll reshoot them in digital.
Walt

#1 mounting system for the axle wing
#2 rudder horn
#3 rudder servo looking through bottom wing opening
#4 elevator horns
#5 elevator and rudder servos with cables.
#6 external cable routing
#7 all rigged and ready for electonic operation

NitroCharged
10-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Great progress Walt - real nice workmanship there. :)

WWI Ace
10-14-2005, 12:40 AM
You never cease to impress me Walt!!! Steve.

scalercflyer
10-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Walt what can I say? Great job!!!!! ... Martin

walterk
10-14-2005, 01:42 AM
I tried the acetone but it did not work. I am just making copies and using a glue stick.

Walt

Walt Thyng
10-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Shuttleworth Photos (http://www.werkost.com/)

I just picked this one up on RCU. Good photos from the Shuttleworth Collection. I learned that the Sopwith Tripe has ailerons on all three wings!
Walt

scalercflyer
10-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Guys!!! I just happen to have a set of plans for the Sopwith tripe(400 size)!!!:D :D Anybody interested, let me know. Yes indeed Walt, the Tripehound had 6 ailerons!!! Wasn't much good in a dive though! The Germans loved it. That's how they came up with the idea for the Fokker DRI. Martin

WWI Ace
10-14-2005, 11:49 PM
6 ailerons and skinny wings!!! HMMMM, but will it 3-D?

WWI Ace
10-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey

WWI Ace
10-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Martin!! You working on your plane yet?

scalercflyer
10-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Does a cat have whiskers WWI Ace?

WWI Ace
10-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Martin. I'm going to start cutting wood tomorrow. I hope I can get it all "kitted" in one day. I'm going to try to get your foamie Fokker plans out tomorrow also.

Walt Thyng
10-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Martin,
contact me PM about those Sopwith Triplane plans. by the way i haven't heard from you about my Dr.! plans
Walt

walterk
10-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Scalercflyer

I like to see those Sopwith Triplane Plans. There was a 1/3 scale version at Rhinebeck this year. It wasn't covered yet but the guy did a beautiful job.
Walt

watt_the?!
10-16-2005, 12:34 AM
just uploading the DARE Sopwith video we took..another one to come...

http://www.relexaustralia.com.au/rcstuff/sopwithtripeatschool.wmv

15mb.

Tim.

scalercflyer
10-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Walt, the plans are from Flying Scale Models. They are plans that Peter Rake drew up. Check his website for more info. Model was featured in Nov 2003 issue. Martin

scalercflyer
10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Hey Watt-the can't run the video. Can you help? Martin

turnwaldw
10-16-2005, 01:16 AM
help need a video fix:D

watt_the?!
10-16-2005, 01:38 AM
tri it now....sorry.

WWI Ace
10-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Great tripe!!!! You Aussies have all the cool stuff!!

turnwaldw
10-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Great video watt_the nice plane just need a albatros chasing ya

watt_the?!
10-16-2005, 02:04 AM
lol actually you mightve noticed that it looked hard to fly...has almost full right rudder to fly straight, and doesnt like turning left.

had to retire her due to it being so unmanageable.

ill upload the dr1 next...

Tim.

turnwaldw
10-16-2005, 02:44 AM
It still a very nice plane just to site on a shelf would be nice. Yes the Aussies do have nice things over there. I was over there in 85 or 86 getting old for the world roar championships it was great. I was in the military and used military hops to get there only took me three days to get there but it was great being there. I was back in 2000 for GM working on the GTO that we built from on of there cars which slips my mind right know again had a great time went to the outback seen some roos and other weird stuff they have there.

scalercflyer
10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Found this site recently. Hope you Guys find it useful. Lotsa good stuff here. Martin
http://www.eflight101.com/onlinecalculators/performancepredict/

scalercflyer
10-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey WWI Ace and company! I won a Ben Buckle Fokker DVIII kit on E-bay tonight! I've wanted this kit for years. Looks like I have 2 winter projects!! :D :D
http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/2f/92/47_1.JPG

Martin

WWI Ace
10-17-2005, 12:54 AM
So give us more details about it!!! I'm curious!!!

Walt Thyng
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi All; I'll be out of touch for about a week and then come back to a very heavy work load. The Dr.1 is ready for final fitting and finish sanding. Probably be a couple of weeks before I have any more build photos. Until then you'll have to keep guessing on the color scheme. All I'll say is that I've never seen it on a model (-:
Walt

Nobert
10-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Anybody know of an Albatross kit suitable for ax AXI?
Thanks,
Neal

scalercflyer
10-18-2005, 02:48 AM
NOBERT try Aerodrome RC for a fabulous kit of that Albatros. Kurt has a DIII and DVa available. Check his site: www.aerodromerc.com (http://www.aerodromerc.com) Hey Guys! it's another German fighter! Looks like Bloody April all over again for the Allies :eek: Martin

hstew
10-18-2005, 04:29 AM
At Rough and Ready Aviation www.roughandreadyaviation.com (http://www.roughandreadyaviation.com) we have a foamie Albatros that is perfect for an AXI 2208-34

Nobert
10-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Scalercflyer and hstew
Thanks for the info. I particularly liked teh aerodromerc stuff.
Thanks again,
Neal
PS: Gotta finish the Balsa Products Tiger Moth first.

mikeceleskey
10-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Hey I just found you guys!!!! I am currently building the Aerodromerc Halberstadt DIII. Aerodrome rocks!!!!! Also, I'm looking for plans of a "Star-strutter". Any help out there?

DennisK
10-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Mike,
As far as I remember there's a nice 1/6 Starstrutter plan available from Traplet by Dave Hurell.
It's for glow,but could be easily converted to e-power I imagine.
http://www.traplethouse.com/index2.html
Dennis

watt_the?!
10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Found this site recently. Hope you Guys find it useful. Lotsa good stuff here. Martin
http://www.eflight101.com/onlinecalculators/performancepredict/

great link!!!!

watt_the?!
10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
guys, do youáll have any objection to having this thread moved to scale?

tim.