PDA

View Full Version : A Few Newbee Questions!

Alias
11-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm new to electrics, I have a mini Edge 540 with a Park 400 brushless motor, 2100 LiPo and I was wondering, I have a Fataba 7 channel radio that I have been using for glow and gas planes, can I use one of the receivers I have for glow power planes with the electric or will I need to get a mini receiver? I understand weight differance in the two receivers.

Next question: I have a Park Zone 25A ESC, will that work with this setup or will I need to use a Pack Zone receiver with this ESC?

Thanks

Steve

debhicks
11-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Steve,

Sounds like the ESC should work just fine. The weight is the issue on the receiver. If your comfortable with what you got try it and see. If it doesn't do well then go with something different.

Not sure on the parkzone esc. I suppose if it manages what it is supposed to manage it should work just fine.

If it does the job it needs to do for your battery and motor it should be ok. Experiment.

Don Sims
11-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Steve, back in the old days before micro gear, we'd take the cases off of our recievers to cut down the weight. But the micro recievers are the way to go.

qban_flyer
11-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Next question: I have a Park Zone 25A ESC, will that work with this setup or will I need to use a Pack Zone receiver with this ESC?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

If the Park Zone ESC you have is Li-Po capable, it should work with your battery pack and whatever RX you may decide to use in that model, provided it has a universal type connector where it plugs into the RX, some do, some don't.

I personally would get a smaller RX for the type of model you have. Some of the older units are rather heavy when compared to the ones being offered these days for these models. Besides they are not that expensive anymore.

FMA has a full range, dual conversion RX. The M5v2 is a five channel affair that only weighs in at .3 ounces and sells for $39.95. Weight is a rather important factor to consider when e-flying. :)

debhicks
11-24-2005, 01:35 PM
It will probably be cheaper in the long run if you go ahead and invest in proper equipment. There was a reason the industry made the smaller stuff. Afterall, the Edge is not a foam airplane and the damage to it will be labor intensive to repair due to faulty or heavy equipment.

But I do know a lot of people who try to make what they have work. Some successfully and some not so much:)

Alias
11-25-2005, 02:17 AM
I tried the ESC and all the servos work fine. The motor just doesn't seem to work!

I guess I'll order a mini receiver and a 25a ESC.

Thanks for all your help.
Steve

Jaugernaught
11-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey guys,
Is anyone here from the south texas area (san antonio)?

Jeremy Z
11-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Yes, the ESC from the Parkzone would have to be a brushless ESC. I believe those are three phase outputs, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't worry about getting a new receiver though. If you're concerned about the weight, take the case off. If it comes in an ounce heavier, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Alias
11-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks alot John, Thats just what I did.

Steve