PDA

View Full Version : E-Flite Jenny

Fly Time
10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Anyone have the E-Flite Curtis Jenny? The ARF version is just $50. Seems like it would make a good cul du sac flyer on those zero-wind days.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL1900

aviatordave
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm getting it this week. I'll be mostly using it for indoor flying during the winter. I'm scoping out some economical power systems right now.

Grasshopper
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Good looking little plane. Here's a thread that might have some info in it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16485

Fly Time
10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Let us know how you set it up and how she flies. This one might be going on the Christmas wish list (along with about a half dozen others!).

Fly Time
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Good looking little plane. Here's a thread that might have some info in it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16485

Thanks Tom. I missed that thread. Of course no one on there talks about actually flying one! Seems like as soon as Fred jumps in things get off track pretty quickly. Case in point your thread about the P-47 maiden, ending with a discussion of baked potatoes! :)

Grasshopper
10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Tom. I missed that thread. Of course no one on there talks about actually flying one! Seems like as soon as Fred jumps in things get off track pretty quickly. Case in point your thread about the P-47 maiden, ending with a discussion of baked potatoes! :)

That's funny! Yep, the Monkey has a tendancy to do that. Occasionally he actually posts something relevant to flying and it kind of throws everyone off for a while. I still don't think he actually owns or flys an airplane because we never see pictures of them.:D

aviatordave
10-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Let us know how you set it up and how she flies. This one might be going on the Christmas wish list (along with about a half dozen others!).

Yep! Will do. I tried to buy this in August but cancelled since I thought I should wait till closer to winter. I'm thinking of going economical since eflite seems pricey as they prob should be with the good quality they provide.

I'm torn between these two set ups:

Dualskys outrunner with built in ESC XM2812RTR-27 (Cool btw)

http://www.dualsky.com/main.asp?mainset=31 cost is ~ $50 from http://www.knoxhobbies.com/

or Heads up RC who is a decent reputable ebay seller -

http://cgi.ebay.com/2712-12-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-12-Amp-ESC_W0QQitemZ220151710125QQihZ012QQcategoryZ34056Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem ~$35

Both would fit the jenny fine. I would use 500 mah 2 cell lipos as well.

BountyHunter51
10-24-2007, 12:25 AM
I've got this plane and it is a blast to fly. Nice and slow, and stable in no wind to a very light breeze.

This plane does require that you reinforce the rudder around the control horn area. I also added a small wire across the horizontal tail secured with clear packaging tape because it was mentioned that some had a problem with it bending out of shape with changes in temps. The wheels need to be drilled and an aluminum tube glued in to keep the center of the wheels from breaking out.

OK, now for the good news...........
John Redman from Horizon said (in a post somewhere?)that all of these issues have been addressed in their V2 ARFs, so they should be 'improved' right out of the box. I don't know when these will be available, but I have a V2 tailset on backorder to replace mine.

I fly mine with the Eflite Park 250, CC T-Bird 9 ESC. and Elfite 2s 800 LiPos (which I already had). I'm also using a CC Berg 4 rx and Eflite S75 servos (I had them too). This set-up gives you more than enough power for general flying with the recommended prop. I'm also using a GWS 7035 with good results. I generally fly for about 20 mins. or so before I bring her in. I'm sure that she'll fly longer with this set-up.

I would recommend this plane not only for it's cool looks, but for the way she flys. A nice relaxing plane for sure. Be sure to make the suggested mods before you assemble it if you get the V1 version. I discovered these things after my assembly and the reinforcing I did looks kind of shoddy. That's why I've got another tailset on order. I would also recommend adding the flying wires to make it a bit more rigid. I rigged a little dihiedral in mine when I added the wires.

One other note. Be sure that your wings are set correctly before you glue them. It's easy to add a warp to them by relying soley on the fit to the struts. The V1 struts are just a tad off. If I remember, I think that John said this will be fixed in V2 also. Just double check yours.

Now, before someone asks some technical questions, I'll give a few answers.........

AUW: I have no idea. It's dang light! Less that 9oz. by my guess.
Amps, WPP, etc: I have no clue. I haven't put it on a meter.
OK, that should do it for the technical stuff.....LOL!

I have no place for indoor flying, so my flights are reserved for dawn patrols and maybe a dusk flight if the wind cooperates. I fly it comfortably in roughly a 200'x200' open area for my 'down low' sorties and a much larger area when at altitude over the trees and such.

Alright, that's about everything that I know about or experienced with this plane. Sorry to be so long-winded, but I hope that it answers a few questions and is a help to someone.

details
10-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I have one that I am really enjoying flying and adding details to make it look more scale. I have made all new landing gear that is much closer to scale and has some suspension built in. I have rounded the trailing edges of all the interplane struts and have added a lot of the wing wires. I also added material under the bottom wing where it passes under the fuselage to comlete the bottom profile of the body. I am working on building some scale looking cylinder banks for the engine as well.

I have the suggested motor and 7.4v -500 mAh common sense batteries with a thunderbird ESC and my first Spektum receiver. A wonder to fly - should look great in early morning light fog!!!

Dave

Fly Time
10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Great info from both of you - Thanks! Would love to see some pics of the mods that Dave is making when they are done.

aviatordave: I would be curious to know if you end up with V1 or V2 that BountyHunter was refering to.

BountyHunter51
10-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Dave, I saw the pics of your plane on another post. 'Impressive' doesn't even come close to describing your plane. All of your detail work shows well. I generally 'have' to mod my planes because I think that the details make all of the difference. For whatever reason, until now I chose to just fly mine. I'll have to re-think my plan now.
Fantastic work! I can hardly wait to see your finished plane and look forward to seeing some more pcs of it. Keep us informed.

Cheers! BH

barmonkey
10-24-2007, 01:24 AM
I maidened mine a couple of days ago...as suspected...not good for windy/gusty conditions =). I wouldn't have tried if I didn't have the experience of flying in those conditions with my Tiger Moth. It was quite a handful and quite fun though...really gave my reflexes a workout!

It builds quite easily. The only issue I had was due to the fact that I used an ELE C-20 1500kv motor, which required me to modify the motor mount to get the motor to sit back a bit farther.

I did manage to wollow out one of the wheels as BountyHunter described BTW.

gfdengine204
10-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Hmmmm this looks like a fun little bird. I can't wait to see how it flies for you Dave.

Fly Time
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I have one that I am really enjoying flying and adding details to make it look more scale. I have made all new landing gear that is much closer to scale and has some suspension built in. I have rounded the trailing edges of all the interplane struts and have added a lot of the wing wires. I also added material under the bottom wing where it passes under the fuselage to comlete the bottom profile of the body. I am working on building some scale looking cylinder banks for the engine as well.

I have the suggested motor and 7.4v -500 mAh common sense batteries with a thunderbird ESC and my first Spektum receiver. A wonder to fly - should look great in early morning light fog!!!

Dave

Hey details Dave, please tell me the photos you posted are of a "real" Jenny and not your E-Flite model.

BUCKSHOT
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I Happen To Have A Couple Of Servo's & Some 3s 850mah Battery's
Lying Around,do Ya Think This Would Work In This Plane ?

BountyHunter51
10-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Buckshot,
Eflite recommends a 2s480mAh pack. I'm using 2s800 packs because I have them on hand. You need to build this plane light to get the full benifit of it's charm and slow flight characteristics. I personally would think that a 3s pack would be too heavy for this plane. I'd try to keep the AUW at 9 ounces or less.

Cheers! BH

aviatordave
10-30-2007, 04:29 AM
I got my Jenny today. (The plane, not some girl :))

Looks good, well packaged - lots of sealed bubblewrap, EFLITE quality throughout.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I got some time.

Crash Test Dummy
10-30-2007, 04:55 AM
My buddy Raynet11 has a Jenny with the E-Flight outrunner, I think it is the 250. He has flown it quite a few times on windless days and he is very happy with it. It should be a great indoor bird!!!

CTD

details
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey details Dave, please tell me the photos you posted are of a "real" Jenny and not your E-Flite model.
OK Doug, the photos are a real Curtiss JN-4D Jenny shot @ Apollo Field II . . . not!:silly:

Doug and BH,

Thanks for the encouragement:), I have started posting some pix of the mods I have done to my Jenny @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8446984&postcount=690 . It might take some time to put them all up but hopefully I'll get faster at it.

Oh BTW, the AUW comes out to 8 1/2 oz. with the Common Sense 2s 500 mAh battery. Flies like a dream and I really love shooting takeoffs and landings. I only put in a small amount of dihedral (close to the real plane) and think I'm going to add ailerons to her. I'd love to be able to side slip her in for cross wind landings!:tc:

Thanks,
Dave

Fly Time
10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
OK Doug, the photos are a real Curtiss JN-4D Jenny shot @ Apollo Field II . . . not!:silly:

I don't know what impresses me more......the airplane or the photography. Both are really spectacular! Detailing like that is really inspiring and something that I hope to be able to do myself someday.

But for now, I am focusing on my flying skills. Putting that much of my time and effort into the air would be just plain nerve wracking! I will keep practicing though and hopefully that will change.

I really like the Jenny, so I think I will get one sooner than later.

details
10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Putting that much of my time and effort into the air would be just plain nerve wracking! I will keep practicing though and hopefully that will change.

I really like the Jenny, so I think I will get one sooner than later.
Doug,

Do it! If you want a really slow, relaxing plane to fly, do it. It is great!:D

This E-flite Jenny flies so steady and gently that I am not as afraid to fly it as say my Electrifly SE5a that I am detailing out.

I had stopped working on the SE5a for a while and couldn't figure out why I had stopped.:confused: It finally dawned on me that I was afraid to finish it because then I would have to fly it,:eek: and it was just too precious to me to fly - given my level of flying ability.:{

I started in on the Jenny thinking I would just put it together with no detailing and fly it and practice with my GWS E-starter until I got more 4 channel flight time in. Well, I couldn't just throw the Jenny together either!:eek::(

When I'm good enough (if ever?) I will fly my SE5a, but for now, I love flying my Jenny!:ws:

Dave

degreen60
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I got a used Jenny this weekend. Does the Jenny need about the same motor as the GWS Pico Tiger Moth? I am flying a TM using an unmodified brushless motor from a CD drive. I have some more of the motors and thinking of installing one in the Jenny.

aviatordave
11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm using the same motor for both. They appear to be the same weight and size.

Fly Time
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I maidened my E-Flite Jenny today, and it flew beautifully! :D

It is powered by a 2210-21 outrunner from Heads Up RC (eBay). This little motor is all the power this airplane will ever need. I am using a GWS 6x5, and at full throttle it jumps off the ground within about 2 plane lengths! The only thing I don't like about it is the sound. It makes a fairly high pitch whine that increases as the throttle advances.

A word of caution...

after my second battery I landed and noticed that the rudder had cracked right next to the control horn. Thankfully I still had control, though the rudder was pretty soft. I had heard this was a weak point, so be sure to strengthen it.

BountyHunter51
11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Congrats on your maiden, Doug! This really is a sweetheart of a plane. I try to get in a flight with mine most mornings before work.
You definately want to reinforce the rudder.

Cheers! BH

Fly Time
11-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Congrats on your maiden, Doug! This really is a sweetheart of a plane. I try to get in a flight with mine most mornings before work.
You definately want to reinforce the rudder.

Cheers! BH

I reinforced the rudder by inserting a toothpick soaked in foam safe CA into the trailing edge at a downward angle through the area where the control horn attaches. Hopefully that will add a little strength.

I actually have no idea how it broke in the first place. I did a couple of hammerhead turns on my second flight and that may well have been enough. It's not a plane for aerobatics, but a lot of fun to fly all the same. :)

Airhead
11-20-2007, 03:21 AM
I maidened my E-Flite Jenny today, and it flew beautifully! :D

It is powered by a 2210-21 outrunner from Heads Up RC (eBay). This little motor is all the power this airplane will ever need. I am using a GWS 6x5, and at full throttle it jumps off the ground within about 2 plane lengths! The only thing I don't like about it is the sound. It makes a fairly high pitch whine that increases as the throttle advances.

A word of caution...

after my second battery I landed and noticed that the rudder had cracked right next to the control horn. Thankfully I still had control, though the rudder was pretty soft. I had heard this was a weak point, so be sure to strengthen it.
Hey Doug,
Thanks for that extra information about the rudder. Congrats on your maiden. Good for you..:ws:

Fly Time
11-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I flew my Jenny this morning as the sun was coming up over a layer of morning fog. The visibility was probably just 1/8 of a mile and I would never have even considered launching any of my other airplanes for fear of flying them out of sight. But the Jenny is such a floater at 1/2 throttle that it was really no problem at all. In fact it was quite a beautiful sight, with her yellow airframe contrasting sharply against the gray background.

At half throttle, which provides perfect scale flight, the tiny little 500mAh li-po battery gave me a little more than 15 minutes of flying time before I brought her down for a gentle landing in the parking lot. What a way to start the day! :D

Fly Time
11-21-2007, 04:55 PM
This plane does require that you reinforce the rudder around the control horn area. I also added a small wire across the horizontal tail secured with clear packaging tape because it was mentioned that some had a problem with it bending out of shape with changes in temps. The wheels need to be drilled and an aluminum tube glued in to keep the center of the wheels from breaking out.

OK, now for the good news...........
John Redman from Horizon said (in a post somewhere?)that all of these issues have been addressed in their V2 ARFs, so they should be 'improved' right out of the box. I don't know when these will be available, but I have a V2 tailset on backorder to replace mine.

For anyone that is curious, I purchased my Jenny directly from Horizon Hobby on about November 9th. It was not the version 2 that BountyHunter says is coming. I reinforced the wheels before the first flight, but not the rudder until after it had already failed. Thankfully it was only a partial break which allowed me enough control to land without indcident. I also broke my tail during assembly (what a dork!) and ended up reinforcing it with toothpicks and a bit of hotglue (does that make me a MM???). It feels pretty sturdy now, but I may eventually add the support wires suggested by BH.

BountyHunter51
11-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Doug, Congrats on the successful maiden! There's just something special about those early morning flights. Especially with a little fog on the field.
I have no idea when the V2 kits will be available. I was passing on some info about the Jenny that I'd picked-up elsewhere. I'm still waiting on my V2 tailset, but I don't look for it any time soon. I'm still flying my Jenny, so it's not an issue. I just wanted to change mine out.
Congrats again, Doug. I'm sure that you'll enjoy your Jenny. I've been having a blast with mine. Who knew that flying SLOW could be so much fun??!
Happy Thanksgiving!! Cheers! BH

Fly Time
11-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey look, my 300th post! And I only found this place at the end of August. Jeez, I used to have a life :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Fly Time
11-24-2007, 12:39 AM
We have had great flying weather the last few days so I've had plenty of opportunities to fly all of my planes. I took the Jenny up in our cul du sac yesterday morning and had no problem flying over and around all the various obstacles. I probably won't do it frequently, but it's good to know I can.

BTW, I tried a 7x3 prop on it today and found that it flies a little better than the 6x5 recommended by E-Flite. Not quite as fast WOT, but who cares? The payoff is in the climb rate. It pulls over the top of loops with a little more authority now.

CHELLIE
11-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Hey look, my 300th post! And I only found this place at the end of August. Jeez, I used to have a life :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Hi Doug :ws: I think your having way too much FUN :D Take care, Chellie

Fly Time
11-24-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi Doug :ws: I think your having way too much FUN :D Take care, Chellie

Fun? Oh yea! Too much? No way!!! :ws:

Fly Time
02-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Well believe it or not, those flimsy stock wheels lasted me 3 months and probably 25 or 30 flights. But the other day, I was trying to bring it back to earth with a slight crosswind and onto a narrow patch of pavement and ended up shattering one wheel beyond repair.

Here's a picture of my Jenny with her new 2.25" E-Flite Park Wheels. A little heavier than stock, but I test flew them out of my cul du sac this evening and I really like them. :tc:

degreen60
02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I bought a used Jenny without a motor. I added flying wires, changed controls to pull-pull. Installed an AX-1806N brushless motor from UH that cost less than $9. 2C lipo and 7X6 prop. Temp 27f, everything covered with ice this morning but with a hand launch it climbed like a homesick angel. Turns nice. Wind came up some but still flew ok on half throtle.

barmonkey
03-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Had a nice Spring-like day today! So it was time to fly of course. Flew the Jenny around for a while as the winds picked up on me. Hardly any wind earlier...somebody obviously wants to make flying a challenge.

Anyway, as I was flying across the wind about 25 feet up I heard a crack, and the left wings folded straight up! I immediately chopped the throttle and she kept going forward for a bit, then abruptly stopped. Seams like it hung there forever. It then began a slow death spiral towards earth. I almost thought that I could bring her to a soft landing...NOT!

As always, I proudly present my carnage photos...should have installed those flying wires!

degreen60
03-14-2008, 01:37 AM
If I remember correctly you even took pictures of my brace wires so you could add them to your Jenny.

barmonkey
03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Yup, thought about doing it today...I thought "Nah, I'll get one more flight in like this". Yup, I got one more flight in like that.
It looks repairable. I will let her sit for a few days before I begin repairs.

Airhead
03-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Ouch,
Sorry to hear about your mishap barmonkey..:(

Airhead
03-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Well believe it or not, those flimsy stock wheels lasted me 3 months and probably 25 or 30 flights. But the other day, I was trying to bring it back to earth with a slight crosswind and onto a narrow patch of pavement and ended up shattering one wheel beyond repair.

Here's a picture of my Jenny with her new 2.25" E-Flite Park Wheels. A little heavier than stock, but I test flew them out of my cul du sac this evening and I really like them. :tc:
I like those E-Flite wheels.. and you say the added weight did not afect your planes performance. Good......

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 02:03 AM
hotglue fixes everything...

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 02:08 AM
hotglue fixes everything...

Not his feelings.

Well now Barmonkey has a reason to get the SE5a now if he dont already have it.

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 02:11 AM
just sniff the hotglue, the feelings will go away.

Well, look at the bright side, now you have the gear to put in that SE5 you were thinking about buying.

barmonkey
03-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I keep thinking that I might have been able to fly out of it :silly:

Looks like the entire front end will be reconstructed. Fortunately, I was flying without the cowl on. Most of the reconstruction will be covered, except for a couple of mm behind the cowl. As an added bonus, I will have easy access to bury an aileron servo in the fuse.

The lower wing is cracked at the wing root and a half crack just inside the outer strut. The upper wing cracked just off center. I think some C/A glue will make things right. I'll add a carbon rod to reinforce the top wing (along with the flying wires).

Oh yeah no sniffing hot glue...I burned my nose last time :D

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 05:15 AM
and....you are going to add the flying wires? (right?)

Wilbur is the only guy I know who sniffs hot glue

FlyingMonkey
03-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Actually, Diggs from All Things That Fly, has admitted to it.

degreen60
03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
With brace wires you probably won't need to CF reinforce the top wing. I repair my foam "landings" with Gorilla glue. I put the glue in the break and cover with masking tape till dry. Apple Barrel makes a real close match in yellow paint. It is 20542 Pineapple. Now if you had a pilot in that plane he would have landed before the wings folded.

I have found out my Jenny will fly up-side down. Now I just need to learn how to fly it up-side down. I can keep it straight for a little while but usally move the control the wrong direction when it start to turn and loose alitude but it is easy to flip back upright before I get too low.

aviatordave
03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm just waiting to be able to fly mine outside. We still have lots of snow on the ground...

degreen60
03-15-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm just waiting to be able to fly mine outside. We still have lots of snow on the ground...

Make a set of skis for it. I made a set for my GWS Tiger Moth from foam meat trays. Used the lip of the meat tray for the turned up part of the front of the ski.

aviatordave
03-15-2008, 01:51 AM
I thought about that, but I figured the cold would make things brittle.....The tiger moth has some decent strong wings, I have one of those also.

barmonkey
03-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I have done some initial repairs to the Jenny. I fixed the cracked wings with some Thick CA. It takes quite a while for the thick CA to set up...after it dried I then reinforced with some thin CA. I also applied some thin CA to the strut attachment points. It appears to be a good solid repair so far. I did a similar repair to my Pico Tiger Moth a couple of years ago and that has held up fine.

Earlier, I think I mentioned adding a spar to the upper wing. I now think that adding one to the lower wing, at least between the inner struts would be beneficial. Not only because I already have a crack there, but I believe that the structural failure began at the wing root. Of course, If I add ailerons...a spar on the top wing may be necessary.

aviatordave
03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Nothing of interest here.....came across this picture from rcreport that had kimberly twilly doing a photoshoot with the Eflite Jenny. Does that rudder look straight? I'm pretty sure this is still PG rated.

http://rcreport.ws/Kimberly%20Twilley%20(4).jpg

scalercflyer
03-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Now that's what we need! :D More women interested in our hobby!!! :D:D I wonder if she's available to pose with my SE5a!!!???? :eek::D Martin

HobbyJumper
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm very close to picking up and building one of these Jennys. Anything to add about the kit -- tips, update-wise, etc., since three years ago?

Cheers...

TM4197
06-17-2011, 04:30 PM
HJ..

Mine was built per manual. I added the flying wire (big help). The only dress up I did, was place straws over the metal landing gear and painted it wood color. The plane flies wonderful as does the D-VII and the Bristol Scout. So, if you fly her out of the box as is....its a great plane. Other than that, all the mods listed on this thread all great ideas that probably do inhance the flight. Just depends on what ya want!
Take some pics!! love to see another Jenny!

degreen60
06-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm very close to picking up and building one of these Jennys. Anything to add about the kit -- tips, update-wise, etc., since three years ago?

Cheers...

When set up right the Jenny is a nice flyer. I changed mine into the Navy N9. It will fly upside-down. If I catch the wind just right it will do rudder only rolls. I made a set of floats and a set of skis. Haven't tried upside-down or rolls with the floats or skis.

scalercflyer
06-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Cheers...

Don't listen to Degreen! He wants you to crash your plane so he can get it and rebuild it! :eek::D;):) Take that D! Marty

degreen60
06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't listen to Degreen! He wants you to crash your plane so he can get it and rebuild it! :eek::D;):) Take that D! Marty

BLABBER MOUTH. Paint it red so Marty will like it. LOL

tenacious101010
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I just picked up a new in the box kit last weekend for $5. I am going to put this together to fly indoors. I also purchased a Maxford jenny RTF with reciever and batt for $20. Looks like I will get to fly the plane I always wanted to. I would really like a 36 inch wingspan model of a Jenny.
I actually have a daughter I named Jenny because my grandfather used to talk about them from when he was an aircraft mechanic back in the mid 1920s. While my wife was relaxing and goofing off after delivery, I decided I wanted her name to be Jenny. The wife was not real happy and never really forgave me, but honestly I have no regrets. I divorced my wife and now all is good :)
Denny

details
06-18-2011, 05:52 AM
tenacious101010,

If you have any photos of your grandpa and his tools from the mid-twenties I'd sure like to see em! I'm trying to make a small diorama with a mechanic and his tools from WWI in 1/32 scale and also in scale to my E-flite Jenny.

It sounds like you got a great deal on both of those Jenny's - Good Luck! I love mine. You can see it wayyyy back in this thread.

Dave

Nieuport Fly Guy
06-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Just ordered my Jenny a few days ago. For a newbie found the perfect time to fly...just as day breaks. Should look great as the sun breaks over the mountain tops. From the pic's you posted I may have to replace wifes pic in wallet with a pic of Jenny J!

HobbyJumper
06-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Incredible deals! Was the vendor the ex-owner's widow perchance?

I just picked up a new in the box kit last weekend for $5. . I also purchased a Maxford jenny RTF with reciever and batt for $20. Denny

degreen60
06-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Here is my well used E-flite Jenny.

tenacious101010
06-19-2011, 03:23 AM
LMAO, careful replacing that picture, could come back to haunt you. I dont have any tools, and after looking at his picture album, there was only one Jenny and it was crashed. Most of his pictures are of Dehavilland DH-4s. Here is a link to a website I scanned most of his pics and posted them from the Army Air Corps in the 20s and a bunch of aviation pictures I have taken over the years dealing with full scale military aviation.
Denny
http://rides.webshots.com/album/552141172xfdmUK

scalercflyer
06-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Here is my well used E-flite Jenny.
D You are an artist extradinare! :cool: I love your Jenny. :) Marty

HobbyJumper
06-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Well I brought home the Jenny kit yesterday. Building begins. Looks like I wound up with version one, with all the shortcomings not fixed. Must have been in the store a long time.

HobbyJumper
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Actually, I can't find any evidence on the web that the promised version 2 mods were ever shipped. Anybody?

My elevators are flat, but my stab is curved like an airfoil. Have to fix that somehow.

Nieuport Fly Guy
06-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Junp...what are the shortcomings...so I don't have to dig thru the posts? My Jenny J comes Monday!

degreen60
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Junp...what are the shortcomings...so I don't have to dig thru the posts? My Jenny J comes Monday!

If you use push rod to the rudder you need to reinforce where the horn attaches to the rudder or the foam will break. I used pull-pull control in the middle of the rudder instead of push rod at the bottom and have had no problems. Do not fly without bracing the wings. I braced my wings with bamboo skewers on the bottom wing and run thread for brace wires as the real plane had. If you do not brace the wings they will break while flying. My plane will loop and do rudder only rolls.

HobbyJumper
06-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Version 1 shortcomings...Back in 2007 or so the designer from HH indicated that version 2 would have a reinforced rudder horn area and a carbon fibre insert in the horizontal stab to keep it flat. I would have thought they would also enlarge the servo mounting hole so that the recommended servos actually fit.

Not saying these are huge issues. Just reporting what transpired.

HobbyJumper
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
It would not surprise me to learn that the initial production run never sold out. I mean, how big can the market be? Hence, there was no version 2.

Nieuport Fly Guy
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
If you use push rod to the rudder you need to reinforce where the horn attaches to the rudder or the foam will break. I used pull-pull control in the middle of the rudder instead of push rod at the bottom and have had no problems. Do not fly without bracing the wings. I braced my wings with bamboo skewers on the bottom wing and run thread for brace wires as the real plane had. If you do not brace the wings they will break while flying. My plane will loop and do rudder only rolls.

Where did you place bamboo...between the struts...or on underside of wing. Just finished building mine over the weekend and she is a looker. Just don't want to crash and burn on first flight ( or any for that matter). Also rudder snapped just putting the horn on...so did need to reinforce! :concern:

degreen60
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I placed the skewers about an inch behind the leading edge on the bottom of the lower wing. It runs from center of the wing to about midway between the struts. On my newer planes I use CF I have split from old arrow shafts.

Where did you place bamboo...between the struts...or on underside of wing. Just finished building mine over the weekend and she is a looker. Just don't want to crash and burn on first flight ( or any for that matter). Also rudder snapped just putting the horn on...so did need to reinforce! :concern:

scalercflyer
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I placed the skewers about an inch behind the leading edge on the bottom of the lower wing. It runs from center of the wing to about midway between the struts. On my newer planes I use CF I have split from old arrow shafts.
D you shouldn't share all of your secrets about how to make the airframes stronger and more CRASH PROOF! :eek: After all, how are you going to get anymore wrecked airframes??? ::o LOL!!!! :D;) Marty

degreen60
06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
D you shouldn't share all of your secrets about how to make the airframes stronger and more CRASH PROOF! :eek: After all, how are you going to get anymore wrecked airframes??? ::o LOL!!!! :D;) Marty

My high priestness knows how to hex my reinforcments so now she know just what to do. LOL

I been trying to make my own wrecked airframes. I went to fly my Sopwith Pup, slipped and set the transmitter to Sopwith Camel. Pup climbed up to about 30 feet then dove straight in. Main damage was only a broken prop. My transmitter chart is now changed to just Camel and Pup.

Darwin
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
My daughter is a Jennifer also, named after Jonathan Hart’s wife.
(Stephanie Powers for you younger folks) ;) My spouse wasn't going for Stephanie...:)
I picked up my e-Flight Jenny at LHS this past weekend. Still in box. I was raised in the Air Force and always RTFI first.
Thanks for all the info on reinforcement; I will follow your guidance.
The Jenny is my second most favorite bird just after the Tiger moth. That's because in the late 60's while assigned in the Philippines, I help restore one, refabric and all. Wonderful little bird. I will 'try' to post pictures.
Thanks again.
Dar = MSgt. USAF Retired...

Fly Time
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
The mods to strengthen the tail and rudder are so easy to make that it should hardly take any time at all. I just used a wood toothpick with a little foam safe CA pushed into the foam. I also added flying wires between the vertical and horizontal stabs, top and bottom. Not only does it look good but it adds a lot of rigidity.

A couple of things to keep in mind (probably just repeating myself if you've read the entire thread): the assembly instructions do not address the importance of building some dihedral into the wings, and in fact many of the E-Flite stock photos even show it with a perfectly straight wing. DO NOT BUILD IT LIKE THIS! :eek: 3-channel planes (rudder, no ailerons) will fly like poo without dihedral! The only way to build it without dihedral is to overtighten the flying wires, forcing the wings flat. If you keep the wires just a little loose, the weight of the fuselage when supported by the wings will give you all the dihedral you need.

Also, just like in the full-scale Jenny, the flying wires really are important for structural integrity. Make sure that any slack pulls out of the wires when you support the plane by the wing tips. Don't skip that step before you fly, figuring you will get around to it later :rolleyes:

scalercflyer
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
My high priestness knows how to hex my reinforcments so now she know just what to do. LOL

I been trying to make my own wrecked airframes. I went to fly my Sopwith Pup, slipped and set the transmitter to Sopwith Camel. Pup climbed up to about 30 feet then dove straight in. Main damage was only a broken prop. My transmitter chart is now changed to just Camel and Pup.
Glasses would help you old Geezer! :eek::rolleyes:;) marty

degreen60
06-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Glasses would help you old Geezer! :eek::rolleyes:;) marty

No, but a new brain would. My biggest fear is I will get Alzheimer's and no one will notice.

HobbyJumper
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
There's a good video on the HH website showing you how to rig the Neuport so it has the right dihedral. Supposedly works for the Jenny too.

the assembly instructions do not address the importance of building some dihedral into the wings, and in fact many of the E-Flite stock photos even show it with a perfectly straight wing. DO NOT BUILD IT LIKE THIS! :eek: 3-channel planes (rudder, no ailerons) will fly like poo without dihedral!

the flying wires really are important for structural integrity. Make sure that any slack pulls out of the wires when you support the plane by the wing tips. Don't skip that step before you fly, figuring you will get around to it later :rolleyes:

Fly Time
06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
There's a good video on the HH website showing you how to rig the Neuport so it has the right dihedral. Supposedly works for the Jenny too.
Good find! I'll have to check it out to see if I've been doing it right ;)

But seriously, on my to-do list is to re-rig the flying wires on my Jenny, so I will check out that video before I start. I used cotton thread, and over the course of a few years it has gotten pretty loose. I read somewhere that dental floss makes good rigging because it does not stretch over time, so maybe I will try that this time :D <==that guy flosses!

TM4197
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Make sure its mint flavored. I have used that as well and works pretty good. But, I now use a string that DeGreen gave me...this stuff works really nice and looks good! But, I have no clue what its made out of! Help me out here DeGreen.

scalercflyer
06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Good find! I'll have to check it out to see if I've been doing it right ;)

But seriously, on my to-do list is to re-rig the flying wires on my Jenny, so I will check out that video before I start. I used cotton thread, and over the course of a few years it has gotten pretty loose. I read somewhere that dental floss makes good rigging because it does not stretch over time, so maybe I will try that this time :D <==that guy flosses!

Use carpet thread. End of the problems you are having. marty

scalercflyer
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Make sure its mint flavored. I have used that as well and works pretty good. But, I now use a string that DeGreen gave me...this stuff works really nice and looks good! But, I have no clue what its made out of! Help me out here DeGreen.

It's carpet thread. D also gave me some (thanks buddy!). Marty

TM4197
06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Ahhhh....no wonder its so nice. The black thread almost appears metalic when outdoors.

HobbyJumper
06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Somebody said SpiderWire fishing line works (is best?), so I bought and intend to use that.

http://www.spiderwire.com/cat.php

I got the braided green stuff, though not the Ultimate -- too expensive.

degreen60
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Here is a picture of the dihedral on my well use E-flite Jenny. I used the brown upholstery thread. The black is heaver and has less streach. If anyone would like some free thread PM me your address saying you want some thread.

scalercflyer
06-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Here is a picture of the dihedral on my well use E-flite Jenny. I used the brown upholstery thread. The black is heaver and has less streach. If anyone would like some free thread PM me your address saying you want some thread.
D that upper wing is more warped than the humor found on this thread! :eek: How does it fly? :confused: Marty

Fly Time
06-29-2011, 11:56 PM
That does not look like much dihedral! Mine flexes out a bit when loaded up, so there is more dihedral when airborne. Under load, the skids under the wings are about even with the bottom of the fuselage on mine, and I think it flies great. I have heard others complain about how their Jennys don't bank into turns, but mine banks beautifully with just a rudder. I think it has everything to do with getting the right amount of dihedral.

degreen60
06-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Most of the warp is in the leading edge. Brace wires are tight enough the wing does not flex when flying. It turns good. I can even do rudder only rolls with this plane. I bought this plane from someone that said they could not get it to turn. I kept changing setup until I got it flying good. Not much dihedral, lots of rudder.

HobbyJumper
06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
This is from the outrunner 250 manual, yet the Jenny manual says to use the 6X5 instead of a 7X4. ????The 6X5 seems really puny on the airplane. So, what prop are you all using I wonder...?

Examples of Airplane Setups:
Indoor Profile 3D Airplane
Weight w/Battery: 4.3 oz (122g)
Prop: 6 x 5 Slow Flyer
Battery: 480mAh 2-Cell 7.4V Li-Po (THP4802SJPL2)
ESC: 10A Brushless
Comments Extreme 3D performance. Will hang on the prop at stick and when you add full throttle it takes off straight up like a rocket.
Jenny JN-4 Slow Flyer 250 (EFL1900)
Weight w/Battery: 8.2 oz (232g)
Prop: 7 x 4 Slow Flyer

scalercflyer
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
This is from the outrunner 250 manual, yet the Jenny manual says to use the 6X5 instead of a 7X4. ????The 6X5 seems really puny on the airplane. So, what prop are you all using I wonder...?

Examples of Airplane Setups:
Indoor Profile 3D Airplane
Weight w/Battery: 4.3 oz (122g)
Prop: 6 x 5 Slow Flyer
Comments Extreme 3D performance. Will hang on the prop at stick and when you add full throttle it takes off straight up like a rocket.
Jenny JN-4 Slow Flyer 250 (EFL1900)
Weight w/Battery: 8.2 oz (232g)
Prop: 7 x 4 Slow Flyer

7X4 or 7X5 is better. marty

degreen60
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
When I was flying single channel long time ago I learned to put dihedral in the wings not so the plane would bank when rudder was applyed but so the plane would recover and fly straight after the rudder returned. Only control was full rudder left or right and straight. The dihedral made the plane stable. I try to only have enough dihedral now the plane will fly without ailerons. If the dihedral is not enough to return the plane to straight flying but leaves it in a bank when the rudder goes back straight I just move the rudder to level the plane into straight flight. A flat mid wing will not recover on its own. A flat wing high enough above the COG needs no dihedral to recover on its own. I think my Fokker DVIII(high wing) has too much dihedral cause its recovery from a turn is fast and not smooth which makes for jerky turns. With the dihedral I have in my Jenny I can knife edge the wings by applying full rudder.

TM4197
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I tend to agree with Degreens experience. I played around with dihedral on my Sig D-VII and got it to the point where she would always come back to a smooth level attitude from any sort of hard or soft rudder turns. I set up a lot of rudder throw. My Tiger Moth is rigged the exact same way. It flies very smooth. I use a Headsup RC 2712-12 with a 10x4.7 prop on the Moth, D-VII and my JN4. With a 800ma lipo..I can get 20 min+ flights. :D

degreen60
06-30-2011, 05:41 PM
My Jenny has an AX2306N motor from HK. I use an 8x6 prop on the Jenny cause I need the extra umph when I fly with floats. My other Eflite plane has a 7x6 prop. The Jenny draws 5.5 amps at WOT. A 7x6 prop draws 5 amps. Get plenty of flight time with ether prop. Use 2s lipo.

TM4197
07-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Had a very interesting flight today with the JN4. Wind was about 5-8 mph, and I was getting really good flight times at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Down wind turns had to be done gently, on occassion she would just hover, so a little shot of throttle and off she would go. Well on one pattern I heard the motor getting louder, almost like a binding sound..then at about 100 feet, the motor seized..I could still here it buzzing and whinning. I brought her down. I could not even turn the prop by hand. Took the cowl off and holy :censor:
The motor had spun herself around all three wires to the point where it had stretched them and pulled the yellow wire from the ESC. I had to use a pick to get the wires undone and by accident, broke the wires off at the motor itself. Iam sure they were about to break anyway. Anyway, thats a first for me and I love these headsup motors. My fault...didnt secure it the way I was suppose to. OWAIT....thats those darn maintenance guys. Darn boozers. Two new motors en route to the front lines.

degreen60
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
The motor had spun herself around all three wires to the point where it had stretched them and pulled the yellow wire from the ESC. I had to use a pick to get the wires undone and by accident, broke the wires off at the motor itself. Iam sure they were about to break anyway.

I have repaired wires that broke and left only about an eighth inch sticking out of the windings. Was able to solder new lead on the wires, cover with heat shrink, and enforce with hot glue. Had another motor break wire in the windings, manage to rewind that motor.

HobbyJumper
07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Amazing coincidence.

Yesterday morning I went to the park to maiden my freshly constructed Jenny! Yippee.

6am. Not a lick of wind. Throttled up, let her go. She went about thirty feet. WOW. Is that thing slow. What a floater. Then something went funny with the motor and I had to do an emergency landing (a little hard on the nose unfortunately).

Upon inspection the motor wires were wrapped around the carbon tube like a candy cane and the motor was hanging there. The silicone had done f**k all, despite me following the directions to the letter.

At home I added a layer of ply to the motor mount box, bolted on the X mount, and secured the motor using those tiny set screws. (Prior to assembly the x mount had seemed like a smarter/better design. Should have trusted my instincts.)

Too windy today. Hope to maiden for real, next weekend.

HobbyJumper
07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Here's a shot of my completed Jenny, btw. Must be in France, judging by the poodle.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~pdk/planes/jenny/1.JPG

HobbyJumper
07-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Here's some thumbnails of my Jenny.

HobbyJumper
07-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm also working on a pilot, since every plane should have one.

Here he is so far. I carved him out of a block of pink foam insulation using a dremel and sand paper. He's painted grey since that colour happened to be closest at hand.

TM4197
07-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Nice Jenny. Arn,t you glad she wasn't going mach 1 when the wires spun? I mounted mine with headsup mount glued to the firewall, still fits nice and dosnt extend too far out from radiator. I mounted my servos upside down, for some reason they fit with out cutting the slot. The control wires went straight in with no angle at all. To windy today for her, shes grounded. Happy Flying!

DeGreen: want the motors?

HobbyJumper
07-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks. You know it, my Jenny was on the verge of stall speed when the motor let go. Whew.

My servos are also upside down, as per the manual, except that instead of mounting against the underside of the cutout, mine are dropped in from the top with the fastening screws facing down. And, yes, in this position the control rods line up perfectly. Go figure.

Here's some more progress pics. Still looking for a nice pice of silk to make the scarf...

Nice Jenny. Arn,t you glad she wasn't going mach 1 when the wires spun? I mounted mine with headsup mount glued to the firewall, still fits nice and dosnt extend too far out from radiator. I mounted my servos upside down, for some reason they fit with out cutting the slot. The control wires went straight in with no angle at all. To windy today for her, shes grounded. Happy Flying!

degreen60
07-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Sure, put in a padded envelope and ship the cheapest way. If I can't fix I will pass on.

degreen60
07-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Here's some thumbnails of my Jenny.

Take a piece of plastic screen wire and mount in the nose of the cowl. Go look at my last picture and you can see it. Kind of hides the motor.

HobbyJumper
07-04-2011, 01:17 AM
On my to-do list. I have the perfect screen, but can't bring myself to hide that way-cool-looking motor.

Incidentally, the reason I removed the oem radiator grille was that the end-of-a-loaf-of-bread-shaped hole punched in the end of the cowl was horribly, horribly off-centre. Whatever factory worker did it should have realized his mistake, thrown it in the garbage and tried again. I had to bust out the grey grille, file the opening into some semblance of decency, and glue in a piece of styrene.

Take a piece of plastic screen wire and mount in the nose of the cowl. Go look at my last picture and you can see it. Kind of hides the motor.

scalercflyer
07-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks. You know it, my Jenny was on the verge of stall speed when the motor let go. Whew.

My servos are also upside down, as per the manual, except that instead of mounting against the underside of the cutout, mine are dropped in from the top with the fastening screws facing down. And, yes, in this position the control rods line up perfectly. Go figure.

Here's some more progress pics. Still looking for a nice pice of silk to make the scarf...
Can't be sure, but I think that's Sir Percey! :D;) Marty

HobbyJumper
07-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Yeah. I was thinking WWI British the whole time I was carving him, and lo and behold he doesn't look at home in the Jenny does he? Just gonna have to get me an SE5a and put him in that. ;)

Can't be sure, but I think that's Sir Percey! :D;) Marty

tenacious101010
07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Finally did my first flight on my Jenny, what a fun little plane! Even tho I didnt have guns, I had fun doing strafing runs on a poor little Tigermoth.
Denny

HobbyJumper
07-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Excellent. Where abouts is your CG, might I ask? And did it feel either nose or tail heavy at all? I'm still waiting for these hurricane winds to die down before I try again.

Finally did my first flight on my Jenny, what a fun little plane! Even tho I didnt have guns, I had fun doing strafing runs on a poor little Tigermoth.
Denny

HobbyJumper
07-06-2011, 01:37 AM
. Still looking for a nice pice of silk to make the scarf...

The only white silk I could find was in the back of the tie I wore at a rather important event (wedding), and i couldn't trash that. So cotton will have to do for now.

TM4197
07-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Gauze works really well. Easy to trim and flies well while in flight!:D

HobbyJumper
07-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, we had our maiden flight this morning and all went well. The Jenny flew sweet until the breeze picked up, and she got tossed around some. Two rough landings, but all in all a great flight. Very impressed with how the plane looks in the air.

HobbyJumper
07-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Here's a pic...

HobbyJumper
07-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Flew again this morning in virtually no wind and was grinning ear to ear the whole time. Made many lovely landings without flipping onto the nose, and that's new.

Btw, I had one rough landing. The timer had gone off telling me to land, but I pushed my luck and did some more sky circles. As I was setting up to land the LVC kicked in, causing the motor to pulse on and off, which, I have learned, may save your batteries, but it makes the plane inpossible to land safely. Scary stuff. Almost smashed her up. Wound up with bent undercarriage and snapped prop saver o-ring. From now on, when the timer goes, I land.

tenacious101010
07-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Wow, Just two fairly gentle flights and the rudder broke just like some have said it would. I used a bit of epoxy and some carbon fiber strands and repaired it. A very fun little airplane. Looks like it will become part of the TRAC dawn patrol squadron.

kyleservicetech
07-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Take a look at this model. It was flown in 12 MPH crosswinds, making it a real hand full. For apparent size, that propeller is 33 inches in diameter!

Every turnbuckle in this model was made the same as the photo shows.

degreen60
07-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Flew again this morning in virtually no wind and was grinning ear to ear the whole time. Made many lovely landings without flipping onto the nose, and that's new.

You do not just have to land on wheels. I made a set of skis using foam meat tray. I also made floats.

HobbyJumper
07-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Wow.

I assume with all the attention to detail the same goes for his wheels. On the real Jenny (and others), I assume the wheels were spoked, with some sort of covering applied in the name of streamlining -- some sort of tight fitting fabric so you could see the impression of the spokes? Anybody know?

Take a look at this model. It was flown in 12 MPH crosswinds, making it a real hand full. For apparent size, that propeller is 33 inches in diameter!

Every turnbuckle in this model was made the same as the photo shows.

kyleservicetech
07-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Wow.

I assume with all the attention to detail the same goes for his wheels. On the real Jenny (and others), I assume the wheels were spoked, with some sort of covering applied in the name of streamlining -- some sort of tight fitting fabric so you could see the impression of the spokes? Anybody know?

I don't have a real good photo of the wheels, but blew up one to show that they were spoked, with fabric covering the spokes.

Take a look:

TM4197
07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
One of the reasons why canvas covers were used to cover spoked wheels was to keep mud from building up in the rim of the spokes, causing some interesting vibrations and could cause the wheel to break off the axle. A past relative who flew JN4's once said ..once the canvas dry rotted off from being wet and dry so many times, they left them off. I also remember him saying it took a little getting use to the adjustment because the covers on the wheels acted like a rudder. He said if one cover riped off one wheel, you better pull off the other one or you would be holding constant rudder correction...Interesting huh!! Many of the fields used in training american pilots especially in the south, were very muddy.

HobbyJumper
07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the history! Now I know.

ps: I replied earlier but some messages were apparently lost.

HobbyJumper
07-16-2011, 05:33 PM
I have found it necessary to beef up the landing gear slot. In addition to the plywood seen in the photo, another small piece is attached perpendicular inside the fuse.

oops photo to come

HobbyJumper
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
photo

degreen60
07-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I have found it necessary to beef up the landing gear slot. In addition to the plywood seen in the photo, another small piece is attached perpendicular inside the fuse.

I did almost the same thing except I use plastic cut from a liter bottle. I made it large enough the wing mounting screws go through it. I did the same on the top wing. I run my brace wires through the wings and over the plastic that way I can take my wings off without removing the brace wires.

TM4197
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
ooooooooo. I like that Idea!!! I'll take either method, but darn I hate it when I have to re-bind the darn RX.

HobbyJumper
07-17-2011, 02:07 AM
That's a neat trick.

I mounted my radio gear such that it can be removed through the nose without taking off any wings and stuff. Plenty of room in the nose. Receivers must have been bigger and heavier when this kit was designed.

I run my brace wires through the wings and over the plastic that way I can take my wings off without removing the brace wires.

TM4197
07-17-2011, 03:33 AM
how did you do that exactly...I use a orange box 2.4, how do you keep it all clear of the servos. Only a small portion of my servos are sticking up, but do you clear the wires? Sounds great. Might give that a try.[popcorn]

HobbyJumper
07-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Very happy with the Spiderwire indeed. The combination of stiffness and flexibility made it very easy to work with -- pass through the holes, tie, glue, etc. Zero stretch factor. It has passed flight tests and looks good too.

Btw, it was very windy today -- too windy; shouldn't have taken off; VERY lucky to land in one piece. As I stood there holding the Jenny aloft I could hear the wind whistling/humming/singing in the rigging. Pretty cool, I must say.

Somebody said SpiderWire fishing line works (is best?), so I bought and intend to use that.

http://www.spiderwire.com/cat.php

I got the braided green stuff, though not the Ultimate -- too expensive.

TM4197
07-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Heres my Jenny on finally no wind part of Sunday, right at sundown. Shes a sweet flyer, Headsup 2717 series motor, 8x6 prop. No rigging yet (take it easy DeGreen, don't get too excited...Iam gonna rig it):silly: Pretty much hands off except when the wind puffs! She lands by herself! REALLY!

TM4197
07-19-2011, 04:11 AM
wooops..try this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYkXxEKmgug

degreen60
07-19-2011, 04:19 AM
Heres my Jenny on finally no wind part of Sunday, right at sundown. Shes a sweet flyer, Headsup 2717 series motor, 8x6 prop. No rigging yet (take it easy DeGreen, don't get too excited...Iam gonna rig it):silly: Pretty much hands off except when the wind puffs! She lands by herself! REALLY!

You do not have to rig it. Just send me the pieces after the wings break. LOL Do you have a couple of pilots(hexed) I sent you in that plane? Going to start looking to see what WW1 plane is close to the Jenny so I will be ready to change it when the pieces arrive. LOL

TM4197
07-19-2011, 04:30 AM
I have one of your pilots in a ME-109...and believe me...he's trying darn hard to destroy it, not sure what ya can do with a ME??

HobbyJumper
07-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Rigging is a lot easier than the manual and especially the online video make it look. Two guys to do it? Come on. It was a breeze by myself. No excuse not to do it, imho.

degreen60
07-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Rigging is a lot easier than the manual and especially the online video make it look. Two guys to do it? Come on. It was a breeze by myself. No excuse not to do it, imho.

I do not think it was too hard to rig the plane. I even did it as a 4 bay plane not as a 2 bay as the manual shows. Had to drill extra holes. I did not run the brace wire through the fuselage either but over the top wing and under the bottom wing. I can take my wings off with the rigging attached.

TM4197
07-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Ive probably rigged 50 planes in my Rc building. I've still had wing snaps, and wasn't flying it like a jet either. So, what ever floats your boat I guess. I must say they look more scale, I think we all want that special look. My e-flite SE5 flies loops all day long with no rigging, its how you pull it out of the loop. Now try that with the Slow flyer Sopwith Pup..and you'll be shipping parts to DeGreen!:blah:

HobbyJumper
07-21-2011, 01:39 AM
I tried taking a photo, but it's not helpful. So to describe, I glued a postage stamp size piece of model airplane plywood to the underside of the forward cavity -- just aft of the bulkhead which supports the front of the landing gear -- and double-side taped the rx to that. So it hangs upside down between the servo rods with .25 inches to spare on either side.

Cheers...

how did you do that exactly...I use a orange box 2.4, how do you keep it all clear of the servos. Only a small portion of my servos are sticking up, but do you clear the wires? Sounds great. Might give that a try.[popcorn]

degreen60
08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Here is a video of my Eflite Curtiss N9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBm-xfqSiqg

TM4197
08-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice flying there Don! I don't remember ever seeing a navy plane fly that well!!! ::o

Great video and music selection!!

NICE!!!!

Rockin Robbins
08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
wooops..try this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYkXxEKmgug
Whoa! That IS a nice flyer. There go all my reservations about it. Your video removed all doubt.

Nieuport Fly Guy
08-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Rockin...very nice video. I see you have the dx6i like myself. Any special settings for the Jenny? Is it all stock? (prop size, motor, battery etc). I still have to maiden mine...(was one of my first builds so just want to get everything right!)

HobbyJumper
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Flew the Jenny all morning in perfect conditions -- so calm it was like being indoors. What a terrific plane. A total joy to fly.

(ps: Motor, prop and electronics used are as per the instructions, save for 800mah packs)

degreen60
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Nieuport Fly Guy
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Nice video's...the sight of these WWI biplanes silhoutetted against the sky is just stunning! I just had some nice am fly weather with the Fokker. Video soon!

Fly Time
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Of all the planes I own, this one probably flies closest to scale. It is just beautiful to watch on a nice calm day :)

HobbyJumper
09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Pretty too with its delicate lines and pale yellow.

HobbyJumper
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Well, seems everybody else is posting videos, so here's mine.

As you can probably tell, filming was sort of an afterthought. I discovered that you can fly or you can film, but you can't do both at the same time...at least not well, particularly when it's breezy.

Anyway, listen for the geese. On an earlier unfilmed flyby their wake was so strong it really tossed the Jenny around.

ShratIbtxYg

kyleservicetech
09-24-2011, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=HobbyJumper;835690]Well, seems everybody else is posting videos, so here's mine.

As you can probably tell, filming was sort of an afterthought. I discovered that you can fly or you can film, but you can't do both at the same time...at least not well, particularly when it's breezy.

Anyway, listen for the geese. On an earlier unfilmed flyby their wake was so strong it really tossed the Jenny around.

[QUOTE]

Having done more than a few videos of fellow club members model flights, not bad! Especially doing both flying the model and doing the camera thing.

What kind, model camera? How did you hold both the camera and the transmitter? I've been using a Canon SX20IS camera, it would not be possible to record and fly at the same time with this setup!

Fishbonez
09-24-2011, 06:34 PM
That was great vid Pete and a beautiful plane to boot. I have to tell ya when my dog Lavi, a yellow lab, heard the geese she began barking and searching the house for them

TM4197
09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Nice video. I use a Flycamone2 with velcro on it , just stick it to the brim of a baseball hat. Any bigger than the Flycam, I guess would be hard to do. You stayed with the plane nice! Nice area to fly as well!!

HobbyJumper
09-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks, guys, for the very kind words.

Knowing how hard it can be to shoot good stuff, period, in the past I've been careful not to criticize anyone's model airplane videos, which come with a unique set of inherent difficulties.

The camera was just my daughter's Nikon Coolpix pocket point & shoot. I held it say 12 inches out from my left eye and peeked at the credit card size LCD now and then, mostly to keep the horizon level. The plane was too small to see in the display 90% of the time. Right hand held the dx5e (I use thumbs) so throttle was set and forget.

Half the footage wound up on the cutting room floor.

Having done more than a few videos of fellow club members model flights, not bad! Especially doing both flying the model and doing the camera thing.

What kind, model camera? How did you hold both the camera and the transmitter? I've been using a Canon SX20IS camera, it would not be possible to record and fly at the same time with this setup!

degreen60
09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks, guys, for the very kind words.

Knowing how hard it can be to shoot good stuff, period, in the past I've been careful not to criticize anyone's model airplane videos, which come with a unique set of inherent difficulties.

The camera was just my daughter's Nikon Coolpix pocket point & shoot. I held it say 12 inches out from my left eye and peeked at the credit card size LCD now and then, mostly to keep the horizon level. The plane was too small to see in the display 90% of the time. Right hand held the dx5e (I use thumbs) so throttle was set and forget.

Half the footage wound up on the cutting room floor.

If I tried this I could show video of how trees catch my planes and hold them. Glad my son takes the video for me.

scalercflyer
09-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey D! What's up next?:confused::D Here's my next project for the indoor flying season. Started it last night. What do you think about the camo scheme in the picture? Maybe you can suggest something. Comments Boys? Marty
http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=42

HobbyJumper
09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Ha! The grass is always greener.

Up close the meadow is ugly rock-hard scraped clay speckled with construction refuse, standing fetid water and coarse weeds. That lovely treed area in the distance is the town dump! There's a patch of grass on which to land but you have to flirt with trees, poles and fences. Houses are going up all around it, and it will soon be gone.

But I am lucky to have it, and it sure looks nice on film.

Nice area to fly as well!!

degreen60
09-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey D! What's up next?:confused::D Here's my next project for the indoor flying season. Started it last night. What do you think about the camo scheme in the picture? Maybe you can suggest something. Comments Boys? Marty
http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=42

Camo scheme is of a home night fighter. There was one in blue as shown but I think you should make the other one, it was RED. LOL

I am almost finished rebuilding the Bristol Scout. I will have son video it. I have another crashed Eflite SE5A and a crashed GWS Tiger Moth to rebuild but they are going to have to wait. I just bought and waiting to arrive a model of a very old German plane. I am not telling much about it except German pilots learned to fly in it. It should not take long to rebuild back to flying shape. Not sure the German military every used it but think it was build for military use. I found how the first German WWI planes were marked. Going to use that info and mark the plane.

scalercflyer
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Camo scheme is of a home night fighter. There was one in blue as shown but I think you should make the other one, it was RED. LOL

I am almost finished rebuilding the Bristol Scout. I will have son video it. I have another crashed Eflite SE5A and a crashed GWS Tiger Moth to rebuild but they are going to have to wait. I just bought and waiting to arrive a model of a very old German plane. I am not telling much about it except German pilots learned to fly in it. It should not take long to rebuild back to flying shape. Not sure the German military every used it but think it was build for military use. I found how the first German WWI planes were marked. Going to use that info and mark the plane.
Excellent D! Can't wait to see what you came up with. BTW, I have an extensive reference library on early German planes/markings etc. Holler if you need help. Marty

degreen60
09-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Excellent D! Can't wait to see what you came up with. BTW, I have an extensive reference library on early German planes/markings etc. Holler if you need help. Marty

What I found was the early planes had a black strip on the underside of the wing. I am going to put black strip on both upper and lower side of the wing. Here is the cross I found. The black tips on the corners will be cut off and leave white round corners. I plan on putting it on the rudder. If you have something odd looking or differant I would love to know about it. I am not trying to make the model as it really was but look like what it might have been if use as a military trainer. It was built about 1913.

TM4197
09-25-2011, 07:48 PM
You gonna attempt the "Rumpler"

degreen60
09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
You gonna attempt the "Rumpler"

No. But to help you guess, here is a picture of part of the tail of the crashed model.

TM4197
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
The only early version I know might have been the M5...but that tail does not look familier...emmmm

Marcy
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't have it but I found this rave review:
http://z8rc.blogspot.com/2011/07/e-flite-jenny-jn-4-slow-flyer-arf.html

wolfewinde
10-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Maiden + 1 on my Jenny tonight. I had one of these a while back and just traded a Night Vapor for this one. It was build but never flown. These things fly great - even had a bit of wind tonight and it was still cruising at half throttle.

Wolfe

TM4197
10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
They do fly sweet! Glad you got one in the air!!! Happy Flying!

wolfewinde
10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Flew the Jenny out in front of the house tonight - took off on the street and got her up and over the palm trees then just some lazy eights over the neighbors front yards. Nice to have another plane besides my Champ I can do that with when the wind dies off just before dark

Wolfe

HobbyJumper
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah. What a great plane. It actually lowers your blood pressure (not raises it) when you fly it.

HobbyJumper
11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
This new HeadsUp motor was supposed to go in my new Se5a, but when I opened the box and discovered how HUGE it was I figured it would fit better in the Jenny --and she could donate her eflite outrunner 250 to the Se5a.

The Se5a also got my original Jenny pilot, so I carved this new one out of balsa. I call her, "Jenny". How original.

Cheers...

TM4197
11-05-2011, 07:03 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a nice bright yellow or bright green scarf!!!

TM4197
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
BTW you do a nice job for carved figures.....you might want to make some this winter and sell emm!!

wolfewinde
11-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I agree - I think you could sell those pilot figures.

Wolfe

HobbyJumper
11-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow. Flew the Jenny this morning, unsure how she would perform with that big honkin motor sticking out front, and guess what...she flew superbly.

She took off smartly, cruised nice at half throttle; pulled nice loops; had some guts if I needed it (though not appreciably more than the eflite outrunner 250, I would say).

Now, I've only gone through five batteries with this setup, but if you don't mind the prop sticking out kind of far, I seriously recommend this set up for the Jenny.

1 HURC 2712-17 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor @ $12.95 = $12.95
1 iPEAKA 10 Amp Brushless Motor ESC @ $12.95 = $12.95

My prop is an APC 7X4 electric (the normal one not the canoe paddle one)-- much better-looking than the fine but too-small-looking GWS 6X5.

HobbyJumper
11-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Good point.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a nice bright yellow or bright green scarf!!!

TM4197
11-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice job Pete! She looks as dapper as he does! Want a little more performance? just throw on a 8x6 or 8x7 with that HURC motor...you'll like it!

here is the exact setup!

wolfewinde
11-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Grats on the Jenny flight. It always so nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Wolfe

HobbyJumper
11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks Wolfe.

Hey TM, I have that prop in my inventory and will give a go. Honestly though, I think it already has plenty of power to fly prototypically, eh?

btw how did you mount the motor without it sticking out real far? Did you remove the plywood box thing in front of the firewall?

ps: Your Jenny looks so pristine compared to mine it made me laugh. No fractures, patches, dents, splices etc. :-)

TM4197
11-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks!! photoshop works wonders! :tc:
I dropped the firewall back on that one, the second one I have, I cut the radiator out like yours. It actually helped with the CG doing that. The 6 inch prop works very well as you found out. Since you have the 8 inch, I'am sure you will see a big difference in response on the throttle side. She just bites better. But, you really can't have any more fun with a plane like the Jenny flying around all day on 1/2 throttle. Let me know when you have some spare pilots completed..I LOVE what you did with both. I will buy it from you! I can just see me cutting foam to shape a pilot, it would look like a troll...and I HATE trolls! Good job on your successful flight!

degreen60
11-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Remove the front plywood piece so you can mount the motor back in the cowl. Cover the opening with a piece of screen wire.

hillbille
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
These planes are still around flying. Shot this one at the Ace-In-The-Hole all electric fun fly in Las Vegas in early October of this year. Flew very nicely too! Stock as far as I know.

http://www.bakehead.com/2011_LV_SAT_s/Tiger_Moth/IMG_5619_sm.jpg

Hillbille

TM4197
11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
All I can say is, when I want to relax and enjoy a slow flight and obsorb all the beauty these planes display in flight, I break out the e-flite 250 series! You just cant beat em! Just sitting on a table top looks great! I hope they keep rolling them out!:D

HobbyJumper
11-07-2011, 10:53 PM
And maybe the fact that you can't fly these feather-lights any old time makes you appreciate them more. For me, the quest for calm air meant getting up at sunrise every weekend this past summer, and far from a drag, that translated into unforgettable quality time with mother nature.

wolfewinde
11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
No question, when you want to relax, these are the planes to fly.

Wolfe

degreen60
11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
No question, when you want to relax, these are the planes to fly.

Wolfe

I love the 250 planes. I modify them so they no longer look like all the ARF ones. My Jenny is now the Navy N-9. Nieuport 17 is Capt Harry Gwynne "Flying Fish". SE5a is now a night fighter. Second SE5a is being made into a Thomas Morse Scout. My only problem with them is which one do I want to fly.

TM4197
11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Now I know you have the expertise to get three in the air at onetime !!::o

I like every change you made too..they all look great! and they all say...
DeGREEN!:D

degreen60
11-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Now I know you have the expertise to get three in the air at onetime !!::o

I like every change you made too..they all look great! and they all say...
DeGREEN!:D

I do run 2 of my ships at one time, one on right stick and one on left stick but I don't think I can do that with my planes. LOL

TM4197
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
:Q

cwolfe
11-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Thought about getting one of these. I was eyeing the one up at my local hobbyshop. Just waiting for pay day. Went back and it was gone. Now I can't find one. :(

TM4197
11-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Atlanta Hobby has them backordered. You can order one through them and they usually ship ASAP. You might email them first!

also: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-EFL1900.html

cwolfe
11-10-2011, 03:40 AM
I understood E-flite discontinued them.

cwolfe
11-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I did order that Green Models 33" Nieport 28 tonight though. From AtlantaHobby

TM4197
11-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Well, SIG also discontinued the SIG D-VIII parkflyer, way back when...but you can still buy them on line! and if Iam not mistaken, SIG got it back on the shelf again since the 250 series planes are hot and heavy. Google search it, there are a few out there!:D

TM4197
11-10-2011, 03:44 AM
O cool...make sure you let us know how that one is! I dont know much about that one!!

wolfewinde
11-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Green Models makes some sweet WWI birds. I love that Jenny with the transparent yellow covering.

Wolfe

cwolfe
11-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Green Models makes some sweet WWI birds. I love that Jenny with the transparent yellow covering.

Wolfe

Can't wait to get it and do some authentic modofications. I was eyeing that 38" Jenny as well. I just wanted to keep it smaller. Perhaps at another time. Wolfe think we're related? Any family in Ohio? Though I now reside in Texas.

wolfewinde
11-10-2011, 04:08 AM
I doubt we are related, although I am from Ohio. Wolfe is just a forum name - short for Wolfewinde - which is an old D & D name.

I see you are recently registered on the forum - welcome - you will find this a good source of info and companionship

Wolfe

cwolfe
11-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks! Go Buck! I've been a member of RCG for a while. Found this site when looking for reviews on that Nieuport.

HobbyJumper
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Really? What's your info source? If so, that's too bad.

edit: Wow. Not finding it on the HH website anymore.

I understood E-flite discontinued them.

TM4197
11-12-2011, 03:37 AM
I think its a big mistake to take it off the shelf, even if they are about to release a new one, which I have no evidence of that...its a super airplane in the 250 series!

HobbyJumper
11-13-2011, 03:00 PM
You mean DVII right?

Well, SIG also discontinued the SIG D-VIII parkflyer, way back when...but you can still buy them on line!

TM4197
11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Good grief....slapped that "I" key one too many times!! good catch!!

indeed it was the D-VII....and a nice flying plane.

HobbyJumper
11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Wasn't trying to be a nit-picker. It's just that the DVIII is my favourite (I don't know why) and I would love an ARF flying razor that size. So when I saw that my eyes widened.

TM4197
11-13-2011, 08:16 PM
LOL..didnt take it that way..and I can see why you got excited..I wouldnt mind the same plane!:D

degreen60
11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Wasn't trying to be a nit-picker. It's just that the DVIII is my favourite (I don't know why) and I would love an ARF flying razor that size. So when I saw that my eyes widened.

Kavan made a foam ARF Fokker DVIII. I saw one for sale new in the box I think on the RCG for sale site not too long ago. Don't know if it would fly on a 250 motor, I have a little larger motor in mine.

HobbyJumper
11-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks, degreen. I've seen/researched that kit too.

I also discovered that Electrifly built two prototypes for a 400 size DVIII a la the DVII and DRI. But reading between the lines, even in the hands of an expert pilot it was impossible to control, so never went into production (though there may have been other reasons). Too bad.

degreen60
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Here is my Kavan DVIII. I did not have the instructions and had to guess at the COG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVJa8pss2U

degreen60
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Thought about getting one of these. I was eyeing the one up at my local hobbyshop. Just waiting for pay day. Went back and it was gone. Now I can't find one. :(

Here is an Eflite Jenny for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230701395529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TM4197
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Nice find!

Fly Time
11-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Glad to see this thread pick up again. It has inspired me to finally get mine re-rigged and back in the air. Finished it last night, so hopefully the wind will back off a little for the weekend.

wolfewinde
11-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Seems like the wind rarely drops below 10 mph here lately - haven't been able to get mine out in awhile

Wolfe

cwolfe
11-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks degreen60!

degreen60
11-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks degreen60!

No problem, just remember the buzzard is hungry. Send him the pieces after the plane crashes. LOL

HobbyJumper
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks! I will take that under advisement as there is clearly a lack of pilot busts in the smaller scales.

btw, years ago I used to make and sell large scale model railroad figures. Unfortunately, turning my hobby into a business (even a cottage one) kind of sucked the fun out of it.

One day very soon we'll all have 3D printers and be able to zip off as many pilots as we like in whatever size we want.

cheers...

BTW you do a nice job for carved figures.....you might want to make some this winter and sell emm!!

TM4197
12-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I am sure that was lucrative doing that...thats a fairly big hobby as well!
If you ever get a few up, let me know for sure!!:D

HobbyJumper
04-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Can't say enough about this awesome little plane with the Headsup set-up. That "big heavy" motor transforms this wind wimp into wind wasp.

Was wrong when I said it has about the same guts as the eflite 250. It has way more, for when you need it.

Cinch your seatbelt, give it lots of gas and shave the weed tops with impunity.

Wow. Flew the Jenny this morning, unsure how she would perform with that big honkin motor sticking out front, and guess what...she flew superbly.

She took off smartly, cruised nice at half throttle; pulled nice loops; had some guts if I needed it (though not appreciably more than the eflite outrunner 250, I would say).

Now, I've only gone through five batteries with this setup, but if you don't mind the prop sticking out kind of far, I seriously recommend this set up for the Jenny.

1 HURC 2712-17 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor @ $12.95 = $12.95
1 iPEAKA 10 Amp Brushless Motor ESC @ $12.95 = $12.95

My prop is an APC 7X4 electric (the normal one not the canoe paddle one)-- much better-looking than the fine but too-small-looking GWS 6X5.