PDA

View Full Version : hinges

canuck 2005
11-24-2005, 05:09 AM
I have just purchased my first foam electric plane. It is ae-flifgt P-47. It came in al wrapped up and as I took it out of the plastic wrap the hinges on all the surfaces were not secured in. Now the airleons were glued by were loose. I glued them with foam CA and one side held but the other side would not. Why would one side hold and the other just remain loose. :confused:

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 05:51 AM
It's possible the person assembling the plane made the slots too big. The P-47 I saw also had bad glue joints on the hinges. IIRC there was also an addendum to the instructions warning about this.

What I would recommend you do is remove the hinges and install a good quality CA hinge from your LHS. No sense losing a plane due to cheap hinges coming apart.

flypaper 2
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
If it's a loose fit, aliphatic resin carpenters glue works well to fill the gap.

debhicks
11-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I use RCZ56 Glue to put in my hinges in my foamies. It takes a while to dry however it's flexible and drys clear. It also makes the hinges a little stronger. That is canopy glue. I actually use it to put the majority of my planes together. CA is great if your in a hurry but I am a patient flyer and builder:)

Rugar
11-24-2005, 02:46 PM
I use RCZ56 Glue to put in my hinges in my foamies. It takes a while to dry however it's flexible and drys clear. It also makes the hinges a little stronger. That is canopy glue. I actually use it to put the majority of my planes together. CA is great if your in a hurry but I am a patient flyer and builder:)

I use the same thing on Foamies. I use CA to tack everything in place, and then use Formula 560 Canopy Glue.

timocharis
11-24-2005, 02:54 PM
::::::raises hand::::::

Another canopy glue fan! I inject it into the hinge slot, then squeeze out the excess. Makes sure any "overcut" gets stuck back together.

Dave North

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Wow, canopy glue. What a terrific idea. Personally I dislike CA glue. I am also usually not in a big hurry during a build so this is a great solution. Like others here I also use Aliphatic Resin glues to build with. (Super Phatic is great stuff!)

Places like this (WattFlyer I mean) are one of the really positive things to come from the Internet. Where else can you get the ideas of thousands of RC modelers into one place and not have a line at the restroom? :o

timocharis
11-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Mike,

Any luck finding an aliphatic that dries clear?

Dave

Twmaster
11-24-2005, 06:16 PM
No but I'm not using that glue in places easily seen. Or more precisely I not using it in places where I care about the color of the glue when dry. :)

larrymcg
11-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I've tried epoxy on the hinges but invariably some of them don't stay in. So I've taken to drilling a very small hole in each side (after they are glued in place) right thru the wing or aileron or whatever and epoxy in a short piece of a toothpick. I can't say that it looks all the good but it looks better than a crashed plan due to hinge failure!
--Larry

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Larry, I like your idea on the 'pin' through the hinge. One twist I'd like to suggest. Put the 'pin' in from the bottom. Just far enough to go through the hinge but not far enough to pierce the top surface of the wing/stab. This way you will only see it from the bottom. As for the rudder I suppose only one side being ugly is better than both!

TManiaci
11-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I quit using CA hinges altogether. They cause the foam to delaminate too easily, and are never "really" free swinging. I started using the Pivot Point Hinges (http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmq3950.html) from Great Planes, "Small Pivot Point" size. They work SO WELL. The surfaces swing super free, and never tear the foam up from fatigue. Unloads the servo a little, and provides extreme throws with ease. Try them next time, you'll love 'em.

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh those little things look great. And easy. I have a box of them somewhere around here that I got in a junk box bought off Feebay. Might have to give them a go.

ForestCam
11-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh those little things look great. And easy. I have a box of them somewhere around here that I got in a junk box bought off Feebay. Might have to give them a go.
A little hint, get one of these from Tower:
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/d/dubr1000.jpg
Only $3.09 and as you can see it comes with the centering die to drill for the pivot point hinges.
Picked one up just to fill out my last order and other then having to sharpen the blades it works great.

canuck 2005
11-27-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the help. I cleaned every thing up and used canopy glue then let it sit over night. All seems secure on the hinges but I notice now one of my airlerons is warp about 1/4'. I was wondering how much it would effect the flight and should I try and correct it. Thanks again

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Canuck: I would fix it. Stuff like that is important to be right IMHO.

Forest: I picked up a set of those hinge tools at my LHS yesterday. Were $3.69. :)

hoppy
11-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I use either Elmers white Glue All or polyurethane glue. (PU). The PU foams a bit and fills the cavity...just clean off any excess as it is curing. It's easy to get off while it's still rubbery. I haven't tried this but it seem that putting some small holes in the hinge would allow the glue to set up from side to side through the hole and lock it in.