PDA

View Full Version : HellRaiser - First Flight - First Crash - Picts

TManiaci
11-24-2005, 07:27 PM
This was my first foamie. The HellRaiser was a beatiful little bird, but it had an inherent wing-warp issue at speed. On the maiden flight, went into a dive and the plane became totally unresponsive.

It flew again with lots of tape and foam-safe CA. My son and I went thru 5 of these birds before moving on to better aircraft. We later discovered that the top wing would twist out of position when you went too fast, jamb the ailerons and became uncontrollable. Mod's to strengthen the kabanes and extra guy-wires made the problem go away.

cadconversions
12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Too bad you didn't know about the mods before you went through 5 of them. Big thread on RCG about the plane. I love it but never got around to picking one up. It's on sale at HL right now for a really good price.

TManiaci
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Yea, when we started with the HR, it was new. We started early in the first threads over on RCU about it. There was a lot of buzz about it when it came out, but better birds came out shortly after that and took away the hype.

We figured out the wing thing with the first one, after the first crash. We did love the little maniac, but it was frail and hated the wind. Since then, we moved thru a number of foamies until we hit the E-Flight Yak 54. That is an amazing plane, works in the wind, and flys much bigger than it is. So, we are cycling thru those now as we refine the mods to make it really durable. Sounds like we crash a lot, but most of the damage is always from hanger rash and other dumb stuff, not too many crashes really. We both fly with reasonable caution, but my boy is getting pretty ballsey on the deck hovering and such.

cadconversions
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Cool, I might have to do some checking on the yak. E-flite or Extreme Flight?

TManiaci
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
That is E-Flight. See it HERE (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2125).

An awesome flyer for sure. Will do anything with grace. KE is incredible. Great thumb practice for Nitro/Gasser pilots.

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
This was my first foamie. The HellRaiser was a beatiful little bird, but it had an inherent wing-warp issue at speed. On the maiden flight, went into a dive and the plane became totally unresponsive.

It flew again with lots of tape and foam-safe CA. My son and I went thru 5 of these birds before moving on to better aircraft. We later discovered that the top wing would twist out of position when you went too fast, jamb the ailerons and became uncontrollable. Mod's to strengthen the kabanes and extra guy-wires made the problem go away.

Hi!

Just finished building a "Hell Raiser". Havent flown it, yet, but was going to until I saw your pictures and read your thread...

Sorry about your crashes! It's really hard to look at your pictures. I feel so sorry for you for having to deal with 5 of them because of inherent problems. I know that particular model takes a lot of work to complete.

I read the tests before I bought it and they all said that it flys great. Didn't say anything about it having any problems, except for making the brace connections for the guy-wires stronger. It's a good thing that I stumbled on your thread.

I really like the looks of the HR and would like to modify it to make it more manageable before I try a flight.

Would appreciate any advice or pictures for me to modify it in more detail...

Thanks,

HGF

TManiaci
02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
HGF,

We put in a secondary thin CF rod from the outer Kaban to the lower rear wing on both sides to "box" it in. We also added an ice-cream stick running own the back of the center kaban thru the top wing and into the fuse, liberal epoxy use. That makes the top wing solid.

Sorry, no pictures, and the Hellraisers were given up to the RC gods long ago. We moved on to more wind-freindly birds.