PDA

View Full Version : My F-27C Stryker

platinumjason
10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Here is my F-27C Stryker. Got this after putting about 3 hours flight on my Aerobird 3 which is pretty much junk now along with my Stryker body. I made the jump to the Stryker too fast but its just too much fun for cheap.

What you see here is about 15 different crashes. Its been windy here lately and cant get flying time when the wind is down so I went flying in the wind. Shes pretty beat down but flys decent for the most part yet. I got a new painted up body waiting after this one is totally trashed.

Fly Time
10-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll bet it makes great left turns - LOL!

I was flying mine this weekend and hit the ground coming out of a fast loop. It bounced, flipped over and landed hard upside down. A guy who was also flying at the park said "Wow, that was a pretty hard hit. My balsa plane wouldn't have survived that." I walked over to it, picked it up and looked it over, brushed off a little grass and mud and then tossed it back into the air :tc:

firemanbill
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
They are tough huh?!

My son loves his... He even let's me fly it every now and then...:D

platinumjason
10-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah these things are great in terms of durability. I jumped into this plane way to quickly for my flying skill so I went and bought a Super Cub this past weekend to practice up on so I dont trash my new Stryker body. I must say the Super Cub for being on the slow and sluggish side is a fun plane to fly!

firemanbill
10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
yep... You don't have to do a hundred miles an hour to have fun!:D

Fly Time
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah these things are great in terms of durability. I jumped into this plane way to quickly for my flying skill so I went and bought a Super Cub this past weekend to practice up on so I dont trash my new Stryker body. I must say the Super Cub for being on the slow and sluggish side is a fun plane to fly!

I have one of each and love them both! Obviously very different flyers. With the SC I work on finesseful flying: nice gentle scale turns, low banking passes and smooth landings. With the Stryker I like to use a big piece of the sky, but also trying to keep the turns and loops nice and smooth as if it were a big powerful jet fighter. It is also a plane that you can push the limits of your abilities with because it is so durable. If I aim for 1' off the ground and miss it by 13" no big deal. But no way I'm going to come out of a loop so low with my P-47!

platinumjason
10-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Yeah Im just trying to get down the whole gentle turning and keeping altitude while banking. I tend to let the plane drop while making turns and before you know it Im down to 20 or so feet off the ground which is a bad spot to be where I fly.

I also have XPD-8 on the way. Im interested to see how that flies.

Fly Time
10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
I also have XPD-8 on the way. Im interested to see how that flies.

I've seen that plane at my LHS and was curious to know how it flies too. I've heard it is "responsive" (as in easy to over-control). Let us know how it goes.....

though hopefully not on the crash forum :)

hondo33
12-16-2007, 05:14 PM
The best thing about the Stryker is you can get a whole new airframe for 30 bucks. I have not used the Stryker C radio system by the early PZ radios are a POS. If you buy a new air frame add some additional carbon spares. I use two length ways along the fuse and two across the wing. If you fly a Stryker hard it will soon take on a banana shape even if never crash. These planes are awesome when tuned properly. With a programmable radio they are very stable and have excellent glide characteristics. Keep your controls to about an 1/8 on low and no more than 3/8 on high. Adding some exponential will help you from falling out of your turns.

platinumjason
12-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I've seen that plane at my LHS and was curious to know how it flies too. I've heard it is "responsive" (as in easy to over-control). Let us know how it goes.....

though hopefully not on the crash forum :)

Yeah flew this bird a few times and you can definatly say its squirrely. Its likes to be flown without huge turns or the whole deal will flip and roll without warning really. Was almost a bad situation my first flight out.

platinumjason
12-18-2007, 12:51 AM
The best thing about the Stryker is you can get a whole new airframe for 30 bucks. I have not used the Stryker C radio system by the early PZ radios are a POS. If you buy a new air frame add some additional carbon spares. I use two length ways along the fuse and two across the wing. If you fly a Stryker hard it will soon take on a banana shape even if never crash. These planes are awesome when tuned properly. With a programmable radio they are very stable and have excellent glide characteristics. Keep your controls to about an 1/8 on low and no more than 3/8 on high. Adding some exponential will help you from falling out of your turns.

Yeah the radio in it is ok, I do get some glitching though so Im gonna swap out the servos and receiver and put in a spektrum receiver in the spring.

I did end up adding some spares too it because something going that fast just simply needs more support in my eyes. On the good side though, since I installed the new airframe with paint job I've had it out about 6 or 7 times and no crashes or near crash encounters yet.

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah flew this bird a few times and you can definatly say its squirrely. Its likes to be flown without huge turns or the whole deal will flip and roll without warning really. Was almost a bad situation my first flight out.
Hmmm...

I was just wondering about how the XPD-8 was treating you just today.

Weird, huh?

platinumjason
12-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Hmmm...

I was just wondering about how the XPD-8 was treating you just today.

Weird, huh?

Yes very weird.

I actually totally forgot about this thread until I checked my email and it said that I had a response on this forum.

Anyway if you do indeed decide on the XPD-8 I'd stick to some gentle banks and what not until you get a feel for it. This thing just rolled hard and did about 4 or 5 barrel rolls before I knew what was going on. Also the winglets are a pain. I had them break off just landing in semi-tall grass. I bought some magnets for it and am gonna try using those to hold them on. Be easier for transport to.

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Yes very weird.

I actually totally forgot about this thread until I checked my email and it said that I had a response on this forum.

Anyway if you do indeed decide on the XPD-8 I'd stick to some gentle banks and what not until you get a feel for it. This thing just rolled hard and did about 4 or 5 barrel rolls before I knew what was going on. Also the winglets are a pain. I had them break off just landing in semi-tall grass. I bought some magnets for it and am gonna try using those to hold them on. Be easier for transport to.
I had seen that plane at my LHS, but I think my next purchase will be an E-Flite Mini Pulse XT. I am also going to trick-out my ArtTech Corsair with some retracts and a stronger motor. In fact I just ordered the retract set today.

Meanwhile, the Stryker continues to fulfill my need-for-speed! I've been working on my low flying skills. If I back off the throttle a little, I can usually keep it under 2' for about the entire length of a soccer field :D

platinumjason
12-18-2007, 01:18 AM
I had seen that plane at my LHS, but I think my next purchase will be an E-Flite Mini Pulse XT. I am also going to trick-out my ArtTech Corsair with some retracts and a stronger motor. In fact I just ordered the retract set today.

Meanwhile, the Stryker continues to fulfill my need-for-speed! I've been working on my low flying skills. If I back off the throttle a little, I can usually keep it under 2' for about the entire length of a soccer field :D

Very nice, I commend you on the low stryker flying, Im not quite at that stage yet, dont wanna bust up my new airframe just yet. :D

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Very nice, I commend you on the low stryker flying, Im not quite at that stage yet, dont wanna bust up my new airframe just yet. :D
I would like to be able to do it going really fast, but so far about half throttle is all I can manage for a long low pass. I've hit the ground a few times too, but at that speed there is rarely any damage.

platinumjason
12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
I would like to be able to do it going really fast, but so far about half throttle is all I can manage for a long low pass. I've hit the ground a few times too, but at that speed there is rarely any damage.

Yeah I dont trust myself quite that low to the ground yet and I also hit some dead spots which causes my radio to cut out once in a while so being that low isnt a good idea for me.