PDA

View Full Version : Art tech coota

Flying B
10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi! Does anyeone have any experience with the Coota seaplane from art tech? It looks like a fun amphibious rtf plane, and its actually a scale model (of the Coot A), but im not sure about the electronics that comes with it... Are they reliable/good quality?

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.art-tech.com/

woodsy
10-31-2007, 03:23 AM
Here in Aussie a company called EGO imports them. the guy that owns EGO has them speced up with 36mhz TX/RX.

i have one and they fly great :)

There also available as an airframe only kit over here.

Flying B
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks:)! I know they fly great, thats why I want one so bad!! I plan on using my own rx and tx. But are the ESC, motor, battery and servos any good?

bhatch21
10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi. If its an Art-Tech, the servos will be junk and the battery will be underpowered. The servos don't center well, and the batteries they send are rated 10C but perform more like 6 or 8C. $3 servos and Loong Max batteries from unitedhobbies.com will fix that though. Their RXs are fine, been using one in their Edge 540 for 9 months.

Tireshred
10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I've always wanted one of these and it looks to be the exact same thing, they even use the Art Tech video.

http://www.parkflyers.com/html/hybrid-air.html

Like others have said, I have had a couple of Art Techs and the servos are crap and the ESC usually won't handle lipo upgrade, but for the money...

woodsy
11-01-2007, 02:21 AM
While i agree the servos as a rule only just do the job i dont think you can blame art tech if you hook up a lipo to a non lipo ESC and aren't happy:red:, over here there suplied with 8cell NiMi packs and i've never heard of discharge C being an issue

Flying B
11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Tireshred: im pretty sure art tech and parkflyer is the same. But what do you mean the ESC wont handle lipo upgrades? The stock battery is a 7,4V lipo, and I have read about people fitting the stock coota with a 11,1V lipo...

Anyways..If I have to replace all the stock electronics, I might as well go for something else..:(

Tireshred
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Never had a coota, but some of the other Art Tech stuff I've had won't handle more voltage for long, no big deal as ESC's aren't that much.

Tireshred: im pretty sure art tech and parkflyer is the same. But what do you mean the ESC wont handle lipo upgrades? The stock battery is a 7,4V lipo, and I have read about people fitting the stock coota with a 11,1V lipo...

Anyways..If I have to replace all the stock electronics, I might as well go for something else..:(

Flying B
11-01-2007, 09:16 PM
OK, thanks:) but im giving up the coota.. going for a gws p-38, wanted something more scale!

woodsy
11-02-2007, 12:08 AM
OK, thanks:) but im giving up the coota.. going for a gws p-38, wanted something more scale!

??? the Coota IS scale

Flying B
11-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I know, but it looks like something out of a cartoon..:ws:

rnkeng
11-12-2007, 01:04 AM
I bought the Parkflyer Coot A, which is the Art-Tech. It has a tendency to porpoise in the water, once airborn it flys OK. Hard landing popped canopy and motor cover loose. NO PARTS available from PARK FLYERS, for six months. NO SUPPORT. DO NOT BUY from PARK FLYERS. To sell with NO PARTS support is ridiculous.

woodsy
11-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Parts are available out here no probs, we can even get it as an airframe only kit and add our own electrics :)

Tireshred
11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I bought the Parkflyer Coot A, which is the Art-Tech. It has a tendency to porpoise in the water, once airborn it flys OK. Hard landing popped canopy and motor cover loose. NO PARTS available from PARK FLYERS, for six months. NO SUPPORT. DO NOT BUY from PARK FLYERS. To sell with NO PARTS support is ridiculous.
Well, I guess there's another problem I don't need. Thanks for the heads up.

ccdevmike
05-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Hey ya I have flown the Coota and learned on the thing. I have had not problems.

gnul
05-16-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX3dky8tynQ

ccdevmike
05-17-2008, 08:55 PM
thats a cool vid

dghutt
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I played around with Gary Gunnerson's free FMS simulation of the Coota last night (http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm):

http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/coota_150x150.jpg

If you haven't tried the FMS free simulator or Gunnerson's models you really should. In general his models are very close to the real thing.

To be honest the Coota didn't seem like that much fun in the air. In the sim it seemed quite squirrelly and underpowered, stalling easily, nearly falling out of the sky at half-throttle, sensitive, tough to fly inverted, and really tough through a roll. It also showed a real tendency to nose-down that I found myself struggling with. Does this square at all with the real thing? I would love to hear from someone who's flown it and can say what it's like. Maybe the sim exaggerates its weirder traits. I sure would love to find an inexpensive way to use ponds as instant airfields though!

Dave

ggunners
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
The Coota model for FMS was never finished. The flyer who requested it could only provide low resolution camera phone images and did not help adjust the flight characteristics. Without a good 3-view, good photos and owner feed-back, an rc-sim modeler can not do the model justice.

That said, having the motor so high above the wing will lead to nose down attitude under power. After reading some flight reviews of the actual airplane, I believe there are some quirks to successfully flying this airplane. With no help regarding motor thrust angle, wing incidence and other critical model details, the FMS sim version has languished.

If anyone else has the model and can provide some more detail and feedback concerning the flight characteristics, please respond.

-- ggunners

dghutt
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Gary -- thanks for your reply. Didn't mean to cast any aspersions at your FMS model of the plane; thanks for making it and your other great sims.

I now have a Coota but I've only flown it once so can't offer much in the way of tune-up detail for your sim. I can say that the real thing seems to be a fair bit more forgiving than the sim, at least in level flight. If you would like any photos or measurements (that is, if this project is still on your radar), please let me know and I'd be happy to contribute.

Dave

ggunners
07-15-2008, 03:23 AM
I would love to finish the FMS model and even move it into ClearView.

If you look at the coota.bmp image map file, I will need a right and left fuselage picture without wings, a top and bottom picture with wings and a front on picture. It is best if you can make hi-res pictures in good light from a distance so the airplane is not warped by the camera lens.

I also need to have the wing and motor angle of incidence i.e. compared to the center line of the fuselage, the angle the wings are tilted up and the angle the motor is tilted down. Also, if the horizontal stabilizer is tilted, how much (usually a little bit negative).

And a bit more subtle, is there any washout in the wing tips.

If you can help, PM me and we'll set up some email.

-- ggunners

moodier
10-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi;Where can I buy the Coota here in the US?Seems that it is the Hybrid-Air that Park Flyer sells?Thanks

dghutt
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi moodier -- The Hybrid-Air is the same plane.

Dave