PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it!!!!

Alias
11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Iím just getting started in electrics, and no one around here flies them or knows anything about them, so I get know help from the other fliers.

Letís see, where to start: There are three colored wires coming out of one end of the ESC that go to the motor: Does it matter what color of wire on the ESC plugs into what color wire on the motor. It says on the motor instructions, ďÖif the motor runs backwards change any two wires.Ē (The ESC and motor do not have the same color wires.) The ESC has pink, yellow and light green wires while the motor has red, black and white wires.

The other end of the ESC has a black and a red wire that are attached to an on and off switch, another pair of black and white wires that are attached to a battery plug and a set of black, white and red wires that are attached to a receiver plug.

What number slot would I use for the receiver plug-in on the receiver? The one where the batt. plugs into or the number 3 where the throttle would normally go?

The ESC (Out of a Typhoon) is a 25a brushless. The receiver is a Fubtaba 7 channel, The Batt. is a 3 cell LiPo 2100.

Iím trying to get a mini Edge 540 up and flying for tomorrow. I will order a new 25a ESC and a mini receiver Monday.

I just really donít want to wait another week to fly! (I havenít flown at all since the hurricane went through here a destroyed not only my house, but really messed up all of my airplanes!

I do have a little Blade CP that Iíve been trying to fly but I really need that airplane fix!!! (Withdrawals are killing me!)

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
The motor to ESC connection does not matter which wire color goes where. Just connect them. If the motor spins the wrong way swap any two of the three.

The red/black wires are kinda obvious as to their function. Connect the receiver plug to channel 3 on your receiver. This should get you going.

Have fun!

Alias
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Mike,

I really don't want to mess anything up.

Steve

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I hear ya. This stuff is a bit confusing sometimes. Any more questions just post away I am sure you will find your answers here on WattFlyer!

Big_Bird
11-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Iím just getting started in electrics, and no one around here flies them or knows anything about them, so I get know help from the other fliers.

Letís see, where to start: There are three colored wires coming out of one end of the ESC that go to the motor: Does it matter what color of wire on the ESC plugs into what color wire on the motor. It says on the motor instructions, ďÖif the motor runs backwards change any two wires.Ē (The ESC and motor do not have the same color wires.) The ESC has pink, yellow and light green wires while the motor has red, black and white wires.

The other end of the ESC has a black and a red wire that are attached to an on and off switch, another pair of black and white wires that are attached to a battery plug and a set of black, white and red wires that are attached to a receiver plug.

What number slot would I use for the receiver plug-in on the receiver? The one where the batt. plugs into or the number 3 where the throttle would normally go?

The ESC (Out of a Typhoon) is a 25a brushless. The receiver is a Futaba 7 channel, The Batt. is a 3 cell LiPo 2100.

Iím trying to get a mini Edge 540 up and flying for tomorrow. I will order a new 25a ESC and a mini receiver Monday.

I just really donít want to wait another week to fly! (I havenít flown at all since the hurricane went through here a destroyed not only my house, but really messed up all of my airplanes!

I do have a little Blade CP that Iíve been trying to fly but I really need that airplane fix!!! (Withdrawals are killing me!)
Plug the 3 wires (any order) from the ESC into the 3 wires on the motor. Color means nothing. I have a motor where all 3 wires are red. Since this is a 3 phase motor, reversing a pair of wires (phases) will reverse the motor rotation. After you get the correct rotation you can take a felt tip pin and mark a pair of wires for future reference.

Channel 3 is the throttle channel on my Futaba system and probably on yours. On two different ESCs I have had to reverse the throttle channel switch to get the correct action from the ESC. Initially the ESC ran the motor at full when the throttle was at the bottom. Be careful. Usually the instructions are pretty clear on the ESCs.

Good luck

Ken

Alias
11-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I really don't have any instructions with the ESC; it came out of a Park Zone Typhoon that didn't make it through the hurricane. The ESC works fine when I re-install it in whatís left of the Typhoon. (The receiver.) I just canít seem to get it to work with the Futaba receiver.

I hooked the ESC up and everything works fine except the motor. Iíve tried switching the wires around and still nothing. It does make some beeping noises when the switch is turned on and sometimes it will beep two times when I move the throttle forward.

Thanks for all your help,

Steve

slipstick
11-25-2005, 09:07 PM
If you have a Futaba transmitter you probably need to reverse channel 3 on it. That's normal for Futaba transmitters.

Otherwise make sure you switch the Tx on first and you have the throttle and the throttle trim all the way down when you plug in the battery in (or switch on if you're using the switch on the ESC).

Steve

Alias
11-26-2005, 01:36 AM
I want to thank each and every one of you for all the help.

I broke down and drove to the LHS, 60 miles away and bought a new ESC It worked first time I hooked it up!

I did need to reverse channel 3 and now it’s working great!

I will be flying in the morning!!!

Thanks again everyone,
Steve

Twmaster
11-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Happy to help. Let us know how your flight(s) go.