PDA

View Full Version : Balsa Builds?

pd1
11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Would there be any interest in a thread for posting balsa builds?
There are a few planes that don't fit into the warbirds or parkflyer threads.

Just wondering.

Paul

grubbyjeans
11-05-2007, 02:25 AM
As a newcomer to r/c flight, I'd like to see such a thread. I've never built a balsa kit and have lots of questions.

I want to take my time, get good information before I screw up, and build a flyable kit that looks nice.

Yes. Let's do it!

Grasshopper
11-05-2007, 02:29 AM
I always enjoy following build threads. There's always something to learn from them. Especially with experienced builders like Paul.

Airhead
11-05-2007, 03:48 AM
I enjoy them too. I haven't built a balsa kit since my control line days..:o

Slowjohn
11-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I'd follow along on whatever you'd build Paul :ws:. Have you something in mind yet?

Standing By,
SJ

pd1
11-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I was hoping others would posts some build threads as well.

So I guess I should have said a balsa build forum, like the foamies section.

I do have a few I want to build, and they really don't all fit as warbirds, parkflyers, vintage or foamies.

Some of the planes are civilian scale. Some are my own designs and some are too large to be "parkflyers".

I've been posting builds all over the place and some really didn't quite fit the forum.

Paul

grubbyjeans
11-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I was hoping others would posts some build threads as well.

So I guess I should have said a balsa build forum,
Paul

Yes, all we need is a heading to post to. Is that a 'moderator' thing?
grubby

Slowjohn
11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I got to thinking after I posted and decided that you had meant for it to be a "Balsa Build Forum" section. I didn't take the time to go back and edit my post due to rushing to get a customers plane ready for it's maiden this morning. Brand new flyer and a Slow Stick set up I sold him so should be fun. He built the kit but I had to go back and redo lots of things but at least he's listening to me and doing what I tell him like bringing it back to me to check it over and letting me help teach him how to fly it. I doubt though that won't last as it's a 120 mile round trip for him.

Back on track here. I think we do need a separate "Balsa Build" Section for the same reasons you stated. I myself have several builds that are hard to figure out which section they should go in. It was suggested that I place them in the "General" section but... So where would we put a plane that's both foam and balsa that's a scratch build patterned after nothing but a vision?

Standing By,
SJ

grubbyjeans
11-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Just wandering, is there anything further on this idea?

Slowjohn
11-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Not near the response I was hoping to see and I'm sure Paul was hoping for more also. I'll post some photos tomorrow (later today now) of the Twin Lanier ST-40 I'm building. I bought the wings but USPS stomped on the box and of course broke the wing. I decided then that the break was right where a nacelle should go so I got the plans from the seller and scratch built the fuselage and added the nacelles. I've been working on the tail feathers today. Anyway I'll post some photos of it and maybe that'll get it going.
Now what would you classify a Biplane with a scratch built balsa fuselage & tail feathers but having foam wings?

Done for the Day,
SJ

pd1
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Now what would you classify a Biplane with a scratch built balsa fuselage & tail feathers but having foam wings?

A great idea.

Paul

I've got to help sort out a Decathlon, then I think I'll start a simple design.

Slowjohn
11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey Paul,
Thanks, I have a Ace Simple Series Ultimate kit that I wanted to use as a pattern of sorts for a quick build. Right, it's turned into me being as picky as ever building it.
I narrowed the fuselage 1/2", changed the rear fuselage from the slab sided Simple Series trademark to a rounded top. Changed the tail feathers to add more control surface and then the hard part. I wanted to enclose the motor in something resembling an Ultimate. It took me 5 tries before I settled on what's on it now. The wings are some spares I had from another plane that I just didn't like the way it flew so I mothballed it and used the spare wings for this build. I've done some more to it since these pictures were taken so it's about ready to cover now, hopefully I'll finish it this week. It weighs 24.75 ozs. as is now with the 3s 2200mAh WOW lipo. I'm over by several ozs. that I was wanting but will still come in under the weight of the stock Simple Ultimate of 28 to 34 ozs AUW. Most I've read about came in over the 34 oz. mark so I'm doing okay I guess.

Standing By,
SJ

Murocflyer
11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Balsa build forum??

You bet! How can we get one added?

Great idea.

Frank

pd1
11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
SJ, You've got some great ideas there. I love the cabane assembly and the hatches.
Need more pictures.

Frank, glad you're here too. Maybe you could help get a balsa build section started.

Paul

Slowjohn
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks Allot Paul,
It's been a fun build for something off the top of my head. The only thing I didn't change was the main fuselage sides except to make them from balsa. I'll take some more photos to day of it and the Twin ST-40 I'm converting/bashing. Another one off the top of my head.

SJ

Murocflyer
11-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I think a balsa build forum would be great. I'm guessing it would fall into the scratchbuilt category? And it would be a forum under General Topics. Any scratchbuilds would go here and also a plane that doesn't quite fit in the other forum categories? Does this sound correct Paul?

Good time of the year to ramp this up since it is building season.

Frank

pd1
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Frank, That's exactly right.

Paul

Murocflyer
11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Got it Paul. We'll see what we can do.

Frank

Mike Parsons
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry I am late to the party guys :o

Let me digest this with the team. I never mind adding forums if the traffic will support it. We have had to combine some forums and kill a couple due to the lack of participation/interest among the member base. That is always a hard decision to make.

We already have so many categories that cover essentially all avenues from Parkflyers, Scale, Warbirds, 3D, Wings, indoor, jets, seaplanes etc. Can you give me examples of what wouldnt fit into these categories.

Adding a forum that generalizes too much is confusing to new members and something we want to avoid. If we did do a balsa build forum and someone wanted to talk about or do a build thread on their Stevens Aero kit, it might be confusing to them whether to start it in Balsa Builds or Parkflyers as it really fits in both. Maybe a Scratchbuilt forum? or are you wanting to include ARF's and Kit's too? ie..all planes primarily balsa.

stinkweed007
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
How about a sub-forum called The Build Threads or something, with three sub categories, Balsa - Foam - Scratch. set it up like the Regional forums or give it its own category.

Murocflyer
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Mike/Stink,

From what I understand from Paul is that this forum would focus on balsa scratchbuilds and not parkflyer kits you would find at Stevens Aero. It would not have scale plane builds since we have a forum for that. I'm thinking this forum would detail homebuilt planes along with design techniques, building materials, tooling, and ideas on how to build scratchbuild balsa planes to include LASER cutting, gluing methods, plans, and a tad bit on motor, battery, prop and ESC info as this is what flies our planes of course. Basically all aspects on how a plane can go from pile of balsa sticks to covering then flying it.

Paul, did I get that right?

Thanks Mike and Stink, we appreciate your effort into making this happen.

Frank

pd1
11-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks Mike , Stink and Frank.

I was just hoping to get a place for planes primarily built from balsa.
Scratch, plans, kits or even ARF's.
Could be larger than parkflyers, or even parkflyer sized.

Hopefully more scratch builds than ARF's, but whatever works.

I built a balsa delta, Mini Taurus and a Trainermaster.
I don't think they really fit in the forums they were posted in as well as a foamy would fit in their respective forum.

I was wondering if the idea was valid and if anyone else thought Wattflyer would benefit from one.

Paul

Gnascher
11-13-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm going to put in my vote for this as well.

I recently did a build thread for a scratch-built replacement wing for my Super Decathlon. I put my thread in the "Builder's Tips, Techniques and Composites" forum, since that was the 'most appropriate'. However, it's still feels like a forced fit. It wasn't really a Tip a Technique or a Composite... But it was a build that didn't belong in Foamies, warbirds, Park Fliers (though the plane is a parkie), Scale E-powered Aircraft (though my new wing brings my super decathlon a little closer to scale), etc...

It would be much better if we could have a forum dedicated to the time-honored tradition of making flying stock out of sticks, glue and covering. It'd be ok if a build incorporated other materials such as a foam wing, as long as some major aspect of the build was dead tree.

Perhaps we need a Major Section for build threads, that has sub-section such as "Scratch built balsa", "Scratch Build Foam", "ARF Balsa", "ARF Foam", etc...

There are LOTS of great build threads in this forum ... but there is no way to easily browse for them. It'd be kinda nice if you could have a place to just look through build threads.

Murocflyer
11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Here's to hoping it happens.

Frank

Mike Parsons
11-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Were kicking around a couple of ideas that I think might solve our concerns with your need for another venue. I'll update soon.

pd1
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Great, Thanks Mike.

Paul

billintn
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
My vote for a Balsa Build thread, YES. I have dreamed of building a Navion for years. Recently found set of plans on net and would love to build. (28-32" span) .

Franny
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Paul and All,

I too have wondered just where to put my build threads. I just figured that "Ground-Up" builders were kinda fringe so I tried to plop it in where the airplane seemed the most appropriate. I think that may have confused people. It would be great to have a place for build threads on kits and such. The scratch is so cool because of all the great techniques involved in working the design from paper to flight. The kits are neat in that others can buy one and have at it. The balsa Arfs I think pose a special problem when they need repairs. Even if you are familiar with the typical balsa construction, it is still a mystery as to what is inside a wing and how best to repair it (been there, done that, got the T-shirt).

Ya know, I just joined a very large club here and out of hundreds of members, there are only a couple Master Builders. I hope to add one to that list at the next competition, but it would be fun to have a few building competitions on line too. There are soooo many good new kits out and thousands of plans, that I bet, if more give it a try, we could get some real interest. What else are those cloudy, windy and cold winter days for?

Franny

Mike Parsons
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Ok, This is what we came up. The Builders tips, techniques and composites in all essence is a slow traffic forum. It also is along the lines of what would continue to be discussed in a Scratchbuilt type of forum. Having said that, in meeting your alls need in wanting this type of forum and our cautiousness in creating additional forums and one that is too generic for builds as well as mediums, our proposal is to rework that BTC forum.

We would rename it to Scratchbuilt and Kit Aircraft and in the description it would be something like "discuss and share your scratchbuilt aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

This would be a specific to stick building whether from plans, laser cut or CNC. I think ARF's can be categorized in one of the other forums as appropriate. Park, Scale, 3D, conversions etc.

Mike Parsons
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh, and this forum would move up to Aircraft Electric.

stinkweed007
11-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Cool Mike! I too like that a home will be given to the build threads!!

Oh.. and Mike..
... in meeting your alls need ..
You are from Atlanta.. you can say " Ya'll ":ws:

Mike Parsons
11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Cool Mike! I too like that a home will be given to the build threads!!

Oh.. and Mike..

You are from Atlanta.. you can say " Ya'll ":ws:

LOL. I am trying to be multicultural. Ya'll know what I mean? :D

Franny
11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Papa Dawg!

pd1
11-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks Mike, that sounds like a great solution.

Paul

Murocflyer
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Sounds like a plan Mike! Appreciate the quick turn around. Not lets see those scratchbuilds!

Frank

Mike Parsons
11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
It is done :). Now Ya'll go build something!

Gnascher
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I love this place. :)

Mike Parsons
11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I love this place. :)
:D

Slowjohn
11-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Geez, I feel like old Rip Van Winkle. I take a long nap and the whole thing is a done deal. Thanks Mike.

Gone to Build Something,
SJ