PDA

View Full Version : wattflyer business model?

NCguy
08-07-2005, 11:43 PM
How is wattflyer supported. The announcement email said no banner ads but it really didnt say how this site generates revenue?

admin
08-07-2005, 11:54 PM
It does not have a business model as crazy as that sounds. It is fully supported by RC Universe and will continue to be supported. The RC Universe business model is self sustaining and can & will continue to support this banner ad free website.

Taking a page from the Google playbook we wanted to build something mean and lean which did not rely on traditional methods of support such as banner ads. If this site never generates a penny that is perfectly fine as monetization is not part of WattFlyer's purpose/mission.

This site should truly offer something different and exciting that other sites who's mission is monetization cannot provide effectively. For starters a super fast banner ad free platform for even old 28.8k modem users! Next the first website dedicated strictly to eflight.

If you like it please spread the word. This site is all about the community, period.

NCguy
08-08-2005, 12:03 AM
First of all the all electric air model is very cool to say to say the least. I will support the site for that reason alone. As far as banner ads go I know this will sound absurd but I have a broadboand connection and actually find the ads useful. This is simply because they are so targeted. On the other hand, it must be great for dialup users because it would definately speed up their session not to have them.

If you ever make banner ads optional I think I would actually opt in. I'm sure you've done your research and I am the exception.

Just my 2c.

admin
08-08-2005, 12:28 AM
If we ever did an ad they would have to be off by default for guests and users so unless you specifically hunted to opt them in to find them you would never see them. That is not in the plans but if everyone felt it would make their experience here more enjoyable then programatically it is easy.

In the meantime to compensate for access to the latest and greatest information vendors are allowed to announce products free of charge in the announcement forum and in ONE forum most appropriate for the product they are announcing. They may not exceed one post per week to keep spam completely curbed here. However the net effect will be access to informative posts announcing cutting edge products that are not based on whether a manufacturer pays to support WattFlyer. The vendors can include photos, specs, etc and take questions from the members here who want more information. Mods will monitor vendors to ensure they are not spamming and adhering to the one per week maximum so members do not get inundated with commercial threads here.