PDA

View Full Version : Wow; What A Great Airplane!!!

Alias
11-26-2005, 11:36 PM
When I got to the flying field there was no wind, the only thing in the sky was a couple of turkey buzzards.

With this being my first electric airplane I didn't realize I needed to program the ESC until I gave it full throttle. I got to half throttle and the motor stopped. After trying everything I could think of I gave in and read the instructions!!!

After figuring out how to program the ESC and doing a range check I was ready to fly!

The wind had picked up to about 5 mph with gust to about 8 to 10 mph by this time, still not to bad.

The flying field had been cut just the night before so the grass was very short, I still carried the Mini Edge 540 out to the center of the runway. I have never taxied anything without a tail wheel before and I had used the tail skid that came with the kit so I didn’t know how it would taxi.

I set the airplane down, step behind it and advanced the throttle to full. The airplane nosed over like it had brakes on. BAM, right over on it’s back!

I then picked it up and hand launched it. Two clicks of right aileron, one of up elevator and it was flying hands off.

I set the control throws the same as on my .60 size Edge 540 with 60% exponential.

Two laps around the pattern and it was time to set up for some touch and goes.

This plane slows down great, use the throttle to set the rate of decent and start pulling back on the stick!

If you pull back to fast on the stick it wants to go into a harrier and set down tail first, if you’re too fast, just go around and try again.

It only takes a couple times and your landing like a pro. Well, at lest you’re approaching like a pro. This plane will not land on grass with out nosing over, feet straight up in the air! But it lands so slow there was no damage at all.

I’ve never flown a glider but I’ve seen others do it so I thought, Hey, just take the wheels off before I tear them off and land it on its belly.

Hand launches and belly landing it just doesn’t get more basic then this!

After removing the main gear, changing batteries and putting the first ones on charge I hand launched it again.

One lap around the pattern, I brought it in low, The Wall into a Hover at half throttle, torque rolling like I have been doing them my whole life. Push the throttle to full and accelerate straight up!

Inverted, four clicks of down trim and its hands off, spins are axial. On low rates large loops are not a problem, on hi rate it will loop in its own length.

This Mini Edge 540 will do anything from pattern to 3D that anyone could want.

Using 2100 LiPos I am getting about 9 minuets of 3D flying. The CG is at 63.

If this is any indication of electric flight, I may just convert all my gas to batteries.

After a half day of flying I drove 60 miles to the LHS in Ft. Pierce and picked up a E-Flight Ultimate FX 3D.

I’ll start building this one tonight.

debhicks
11-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Oh boy, your gonna love that FX 3D. Sold out today on that one. Guy now has two. He has one set up brushless and he is going to go brushed with his second one so he can experiment. He is like a boy in a candy store. He loves it.

He can't stop grinning when he talkes about how well it flys. I don't know what brushless set up he went with as he already had that equipment on the first one. But he is a happy man.

Alias
11-27-2005, 12:26 AM
I really like the way that sounds. I canít wait to get it finished.

I'm working on it as we speak. I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to use hot glue or canopy glue.

Iíve read on here some place where hot glue will melt in South Florida if you leave the airplane in the car for a little while.

Also if anyone knows if I should use canopy glue, white glue like Elmerís or CA where it calls for foam compatible CA.

Does anyone know if Zap ca is foam compatible?

This really is a lot different than building glow ARFs.

Rugar
11-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Congrats on the maiden of your edge. I bet it sure was nice not having to clean your model up after flying. :D

The odorless Zap CA can be used on foam, not the regular. The problem is that it takes along time to dry if you don't use some kicker. And that presents another problem if you use to much kicker and it heats up to much, as that will also melt certain types of foam.

I use just enough small dabs of 5 min. epoxy to tack the pieces in place, and then use Canopy glue and make fillet beads along all the seams. Canopy glue dries clear so you don't see it when your done. It also remains flexible so it doesn't seem to split at the seams as bad when gravity takes over and over powers your thumbs ;).

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Hehehe. Addictive huh Alias? A suggestion. Leave your credit card number with your new found friend (the owner) at the hobby shop. :D

Welcome aboard. We don't need no steeenking slimers here!

Alias
11-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Addictive as all get out!!!

I love this not having to clean up after flying all day.

Now I just need to build up a tool kit, an electric flying box, to take to the flying field with me.

Iíve got the Ultimate FX 3D just about ready for the electronics.

It calls for a 370 brushless motor, I have a 400 brushless I think Iíll use.

With glow, I never really worried too much about over powering a little bit, is that something I need to watch real close with electrics?

Here is what I think will be my next electric. I saw one today at the LHS in Ft. Pierce.

http://theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanemodels/planeimage/E176.jpg

50 in / 1270 mmWing Area:700 sq in / 45.2 sq dmFlying Weight:3.3 lbs / 1450 gFuselage Length:50.0 in / 1270 mmRequires:4 channel radio w/ 4 mini servos & 350W motor system

debhicks
11-27-2005, 02:59 AM
I like canopy glue RCZ56. It's slow but flexible and I am patient. CA odorless and a little kicker sparingly. I don't like that the CA Discolors.

Just my thoughts.

Have Fun!!!

Ron S
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
You don't have to worry about overpowering the plane! It's just like glow! Always great to have a little extra power on tap! Ron:)

qban_flyer
12-27-2005, 05:18 PM
The one you are planning on getting is a Kool Looking Kat!:cool:

You are so right, the best part of e-flight is the no-mess to clean part. They don't smell like rancid oil either, which in turn won't smell up the interior of your car and or your home.:D

giflyrc
12-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Alias, quote:

With glow, I never really worried too much about over powering a little bit, is that something I need to watch real close with electrics?________________________________________ ______

Just like glow, we can always throttle back, ( but never do):D :D :D

Roger aka GIFLYRC