PDA

View Full Version : Charging 2S+3S Lipos in series.

Warden
11-27-2005, 12:06 AM
OK, so I took the bait and picked up a couple of Polyquest 4400's 12C/16C burst, at HL's sale yesterday. I needed a 5S pack so I got one 2S and one 3S. Obviously, I'll hook them up in series. The motor/prop I'm using should be drawing 49 amps at WOT so I'll only be hitting constant C sometimes and burst C, never.

My charger is an Astro 109 and I also picked up two of the Poly Quest charge guards. I'm thinking that this arrangement should work out fine. The only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of time it will take to recharge the batteries since I'll have to charge each pack separately.

So, what I'm planning on doing is to leave the cells in series and charge them as a single 5S pack, then before they reach full charge, separate the packs, attach the charge guard and finish them off as two separate packs. I should get back in the air quicker with that arrangement.

What say ye on my planned charging regimen? Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Warden

Warden
11-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, no replies so I'm thinkin' it's one of two things. Either the answer to my question is so simple that it doesn't warrant a reply or my planned charging regimen is so ridiculous that no one wants to say what an idiot I am. :D

Geoff_Gino
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, no replies so I'm thinkin' it's one of two things. Either the answer to my question is so simple that it doesn't warrant a reply or my planned charging regimen is so ridiculous that no one wants to say what an idiot I am. :D

Hi Warden

Highly unlikely that you are an idiot. :D

I have an Astro 109 charger and BOY do I love it. My Corsair has 2 - 3S 3,5 Amp cells in series and my 109 picks up the 6S immediately and it takes me about 50 minutes to put 1,8 amps back in the pack.

I don't seperate them and have had no problems.

Geoff