PDA

View Full Version : is my battery peaked?

losi24
11-27-2005, 03:31 AM
i have a intellipeak AC/DC pulse charger and a 9.6V 750mAh battery. this is my first time using this charger and battery. i set it at 1 amp and hit mode select once and it had a red light on peak charge....so i know i did that right. after about 5 minutes it switched to slow charge and the green light on slow charge was flashing. can this have charged that battery that fast? thanks!

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 03:35 AM
Dumb question time. Are you using a Nicad or NiMH pack? If NiMH does the charger grok NiMH? It sounds like false peaking to me.

losi24
11-27-2005, 03:37 AM
yes its Ni-MH and it does take Ni-MH batteries up to 8 cells up to like 3800mAh. heres the charger....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUF43&P=ML

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 04:02 AM
This may or may not matter but most 'car' chargers are not too good at charging smallish battery packs like we use in airplanes. I see from the photo it will go down to 500mA charge rate. Maybe you could discharge the pack and then try charging at that rate.

Now this is pure supposition but that charger may not play well with smallish NiMHs. I used to have an FMA Supernova 250S charger. It was terrific with Nicad packs but blew chunks and false peaked every time on NiMH even though it was supposed to be NiMH compatible. :eek:

Just a thought for your consideration.

hoppy
11-27-2005, 04:06 AM
i have a intellipeak AC/DC pulse charger and a 9.6V 750mAh battery. this is my first time using this charger and battery. i set it at 1 amp and hit mode select once and it had a red light on peak charge....so i know i did that right. after about 5 minutes it switched to slow charge and the green light on slow charge was flashing. can this have charged that battery that fast? thanks!

It all depends on how charged the battery was when you started. Try it and see what happens...then you'll know.

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 04:12 AM
It all depends on how charged the battery was when you started. Try it and see what happens...then you'll know.

Hehe and there is that too! :rolleyes:

losi24
11-27-2005, 04:21 AM
the connection was bad i think because it ran for a couple of seconds and ran outta poop...i'll try charging it again.

losi24
11-27-2005, 05:41 AM
i tried again and it still did it....i hooked it up and got about 5 seconds of runtime. then i charged it on slow charge for about 20 minutes and it helped a lot! about 2 minutes of run time. i put it on peak charge about 20 minutes ago and it's still goin....its at 1A. i think it should be done charging soon now...thanks for the help!

slipstick
11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
If that's a new NiMH battery 1A is a bit high to hit it with for the first few charges. I'd either slow charge a couple of time or at least keep it to below about 0.5A if possible.

Steve

Matt Kirsch
11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Yes, you need to slowly work NiMH packs into their full rate charge. They're the only type of pack that needs any real break-in.

You can get a good idea of whether or not your battery is charging properly by how long it stays on the charger. Divide the battery's capacity in mAh by the charge rate in mA, and that leaves hours. Let's say you're charging a 2000mAh pack at 2.0 Amps, or 2000mA. 2000/2000 = 1 hour, so the charge should take AT LEAST 1 hour. If your known discharged pack is "peaking" after 5-10 minutes, it's false peaking.