PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Motor - Recoverable????

DannyR
11-27-2005, 05:28 AM
I crashed my Space Scooter and inadvertently left the throttle on with the prop blocked. The motor started smoking before I realized what I had done. The motor didn't freeze up. I flew it again a few minutes later, but the motor was down on power, about half. Any chance the motor will be ok after it cools off?

After it cooled down I lubed it heavily with 3 n 1 oil and spun the motor by hand for about 30 seconds to move the oil throughout the motor windings.

Other than the hard landing that flipped the plane over, it was a good day of flying.

Danny

Twmaster
11-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Those can motors usually never come back from an unhealthy dose of letting the magic smoke out. The good news is that those can motors are not too expensive and are easy to get.

ragbag
11-27-2005, 12:29 PM
There is a good chance you oiled the brushs if you ran oil completely through the motor, as it seems you are saying. This will slow things down for sure.

Put some alcohol on the brushs and clean them, could drop the motor in alcohol and soak then reoil the bearings/bushings.

A can of commutator cleaner cost motr than a new can motor.

By George:)

hoppy
11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Only oil the bearings - You could try cleaning the commentator. It probably has burn marks on it. If you can't get at it and it still runs poorly you can try running it in a glass of soapy water at 3V for a couple of minutes, dry it, oil the bearings and give it a try.

Matt Kirsch
11-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, lubricating the windings really serves no purpose other than to trap dust... The only parts that could benefit from lubrication are the two bushings, only once in the motor's lifetime, and then only one tiny drop of oil per bushing.

Can motors can be taken apart, but you need to be very careful as they're not designed to be disassembled. The endbell is crimped in, and it's very easy to break off the crimp tabs.

Since a new 6V Speed 400 can motor can be had for less than $10 in many places, there's no sense in trying to save this one.

DannyR
11-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Looks like its time to buy another one. :) They are inexpensive, which is why I use them. I just thought I would see if there was a way to save the motor. Thanks for the information guys.

Danny

ron_van_sommeren
11-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Magnets are probably dead anyway due to high temperature.