PDA

View Full Version : Sig Kadet LT 40

canuck 2005
11-27-2005, 05:57 AM
I am new to electrics and have a question about E-conversion. I have just purchased a Kadet LT 40 and am wondering what I should use for power. I already have a 2000m 3 cell lipo batery. and a 25 amp speed control that I have just purchased for e-flight P-47. Will this equipment work on brushless and what size of motor should I get. Thanks for any input that you can give.

Rugar
11-27-2005, 06:17 AM
I am new to electrics and have a question about E-conversion. I have just purchased a Kadet LT 40 and am wondering what I should use for power. I already have a 2000m 3 cell lipo batery. and a 25 amp speed control that I have just purchased for e-flight P-47. Will this equipment work on brushless and what size of motor should I get. Thanks for any input that you can give.

Are you wanting to know what size motor to get for the Kadet, or for the P-47?

ragbag
11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Go to this thread and see the LT 25 conversion that I am doing. I am ready for the test flight, waiting for my two buddies to finish theirs so we can test them together.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012

Lots of pictures and the controler setup. Also the 40 amp controller that I selected turned out to be to small. Went to a 70.

There are several conversions ot the LT 40, Hobby Lobby has one listed on their site.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/g2e-sigkadetlt40.htm

Take pictures and send notes.

By George

Turbojoe
11-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I've got an LT-40 sitting in the back room with a slimer motor in the nose that I built about 4 years ago. I never flew it after I finished it because I didn't want to deal with the glow mess. I'd love to electrocute it but it's awful heavy. If I had it to build again I would replace all the plywood with balsa. I have a Goldberg Eaglet 50 on the way that I plan to do that with.

While the LT-40 is a little bigger than the LT-25, Ragbag's thread should be a fantastic baseline for you to work with. I know I'll be using some of his ideas with the Eaglet like moving the firewall forward rather than spacing the motor out. It'll help with CG and give more interior room.

Joe

Matt Kirsch
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
To directly answer the question, 3S LiPoly at 25 Amps isn't enough to fly an LT-40. It might do okay on a smaller trainer such as a Seniorita or Eaglet, but the much larger LT-40 needs more power to fly satisfactorily with all that drag. Specifically, a 4S LiPoly at 40 Amps is enough Watts to really make the LT-40 fly nicely.

To that end, I'd recommend the AXi 2826/10 or 2826/12 for a motor, and a Castle or Jeti 45 Amp ESC.

ragbag
11-29-2005, 01:20 AM
I never flew it after I finished it because I didn't want to deal with the glow mess. Joe

Thanks for the Kudo's Turbojoe. The Wife told me I could have all the E-birds I wanted after I got rid of the greasy ones. Not everyone has a wife willing to meet you in the driveway and help carry the stuff in the garage.
I know how lucky I am.:D

David at Hobby Lobby is a big help, He was the one that helped me set up the power. There are several threads with the LT 40 going. I will try and snag a cople and bring the back to this thread.

If you go into my thread you will see that I had to increase the 40 amp to a 70. With out looking at my notes I think I was pulling somewhere around 50 and need more, 70 was the next step.

By George

Pulled this from the other trhead. Note that I am now swingin the 12X8 MAS at static 43A, 435W, 4#14oz thrust, 7000 rpm, 53mph. Have the 13x8.5 MASready 52a,490w, 53+ thrust (scale only reads 5#), 6300rpm, 50mph.

I have the PQ3s2p2200 already. Would rather balance the 3s packs and put them together when I am ready to go. Have two sets ready and primed.

Swinging a 13x8 MAS, changed from a 11x7 at 7200 rpm. Haven't tached the 13x8 yet. Set it up with the 11x7 thinking I was going to have a clearance problem, not.

It came in at 4#8oz with both battery packs filled to the top.

If I realy have to, I have a set of 4s2p3300 PQ's ready also.
By George

ragbag
11-29-2005, 07:24 AM
I forgot about the Taxi Cup from Hobby Lobby. It is a good 40 size conversion. Look at this thread also for some good info. He did an ARF, so it would be the power that you would be looking at. It is down in the body of the thread by Fred Marks.

By George.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488&highlight=Kadet+LT+40+Conversion