PDA

View Full Version : Best way to connect motor to speed control?

peter pan
11-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi,

I am brand new to electrics and just purchased a GWS E-Starter with the EM400 motor. Also got the ICS400E speed controller. The guys at the hobby shop said to simply solder the leads from the motor to the speed controller, but I noticed the motor wires have blade type connectors from the factory. When I asked about matching connectors for the speed control (it has just bare wires), the guys at the hobby shop said "just solder the leads together".

I'm thinking I might want to try different motors in this model and want the easiest/best way to make the motor/controller connection. Once the model is assembled, unsoldering the leads might be a little tricky.

Are there connectors for the speed controller? I was thinking of changing everything over to Deans Ultras. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!:)

hoppy
11-28-2005, 01:51 AM
You could do that. Most motor/ESC connectors are bullet type like the 2.4mm ones shown here http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=33&cat=battery+%2D+WIRE+and+CONNECTORS

Although they are in Japan, shipping is cheap and delivery is less than a week. Cover Female connector with shrink tubing. Use male on one lead from ESC and Female on the other.

Nice weather, huh?

ragbag
11-28-2005, 01:55 AM
The best way is with a bullet connector between the motor and controller on the small setups like you are doing.
Like you say it makes it easier to change motor and try new setups.

If you are sure that you wont be changing anything, the best of all is directly to the motor, no loss of any kind, but that's not where you are yet. That would be for the high power setup.

Most GWS setups come with a black connector that is not polarized like the red ones are, you can reverse them and they go between the motor and the controller. Don't want to do that with the battery end, it lets the smoke out of the little box built in all controllers and other electronic devices. Once the smoke is let out you replace that unit. Can get exspensive if you do that to many times.:eek:

I would look for the GWS connectors to start out and "grow" from there.

We are all new at something.

By George

Big_Bird
11-28-2005, 02:25 AM
I highly recommend these 3.5 mm gold bullet connectors for the battery and both ends of the ESC. I always put the female end on the battery and the triple wires on the motor end of a brushless esc. I put heat shrink on the bullet (male) end of the motor wires. After plugging the male end into the female end I pull heat shrink up over the male connector and shrink it. I think that the photo tells the story.

Ken

http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1856

Elfwreck
11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey now,
I personaly use Dean's ultra or micro connectors on most all of my set ups. Of course they don't work for BL set ups, no third post. I use bullets on those. But for brushed motors I always use Deans.
I can't afford dedicated ESCs.
Of course soldering isn't so hard if you practice, and as stated above, it is the best connection.
RobII

hoppy
11-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey now,
I personaly use Dean's ultra or micro connectors on most all of my set ups. Of course they don't work for BL set ups, no third post. I use bullets on those. But for brushed motors I always use Deans.
I can't afford dedicated ESCs.
Of course soldering isn't so hard if you practice, and as stated above, it is the best connection.
RobII

Hey Rob, Deans makes a 3 and a 4 pin micro connector which would work for brushless (as long as you had the wiring correct or are using a CC ESC). http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS.Deans.Connectors.php

Elfwreck
11-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey now,
Doh! I forget about those, yeah they're great for the smaller BL motors, but they're too small for my Kontronik 400-23 and Hacker B-40 & B-50 motors. Not sure about all the smaller fifteen to twenty ampers either.
But I got them on my CDrom motors and some of the other little ones too.
Thanks for reminding me.
RobII

peter pan
11-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks to all for the helpful ideas :)

hoppy
11-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Hey now,
Doh! I forget about those, yeah they're great for the smaller BL motors, but they're too small for my Kontronik 400-23 and Hacker B-40 & B-50 motors. Not sure about all the smaller fifteen to twenty ampers either.
But I got them on my CDrom motors and some of the other little ones too.
Thanks for reminding me.
RobII

Your right, I only use the micros on planes with a 10A or less constant current draw.