PDA

View Full Version : Guillows P47 Flies

Bill G
11-10-2007, 06:04 AM
Had this plane about 4 years now. Finally tried to fly with rud/elev. Rolled off every time.

Built a new semi-symmetrical wing with ailerons, and reduced the wing incidence by 3/32" in the rear.
Flies beautifully at 20.2oz. Those folks that constantly say that Guillows conversions won't fly at heavy weights, need not crack their mouths around me.:D

There's now a football size leaf pile at the public brush dump at the park. Excellent place to hand launch and land.

Grasshopper
11-10-2007, 06:06 AM
That's a beautiful P-47 Bill. It's meant to be in the air. The second picture looks like it's screaming by. Nice work.

Bill G
11-10-2007, 06:09 AM
That's a beautiful P-47 Bill. It's meant to be in the air. The second picture looks like it's screaming by. Nice work.
That was fast!:D
Ever since those Eflite P47s came out, I always wanted to get this flying. I almost bought one, but that would have been against my religion:D. Expecially since I already had a P47.

It has a Hacker Eseries 3700kv on 3s, in a Wattage 2.5:1 or 3something:1 gearbox. Not sure which one, but it works well. I flew today with a Master Airscrew 8x6 3-blader. The still pic shows it with a GWS 9070 prop. Flew the first time with it. It is reasonably fast. I might just have to put the Eflite 400-4200 in it, that I have laying around.:D

Grasshopper
11-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Did you put retracts in it? The static picture has the gear down but the in flights don't. Or are they removable?

Bill G
11-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Did you put retracts in it? The static picture has the gear down but the in flights don't. Or are they removable?
I remove the gear and bombs for flight. Would have loved to put retracts in when I built the new wing these past few weeks, but at 20.2oz AUW now, it doesn't exactly need the additional weight.:eek:

It actually slows down well to land, but you keep the speed up when turning hard, at this weight. Had a few nice saves learning that, but it is very conrollable, and no problem "digging" out of a hard roll.

Grasshopper
11-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Shoot Bill. That's a light weight at 20 oz. compared to my porker at 40 oz.

Bill G
11-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Shoot Bill. That's a light weight at 20 oz. compared to my porker at 40 oz.Your Eflite is 40oz?
I guess they have a bit more wing, than this plane does at 30" span?
I cheated a bit, and my new wing is 30.25":D

Grasshopper
11-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Your Eflite is 40oz?
I guess they have a bit more wing, than this plane does at 30" span?
I cheated a bit, and my new wing is 30.25":D

After I covered it with silk and WBPU, added retracts, steerable tail wheel and bigger motor, it tipped the scales right at 40 oz. It's about 10 ounces more than I wanted but what the heck, it still seems to fly fine. Sure doesn't float in like it used to though.

Bill G
11-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Tom I just looked yours up. Looks much better than with the bead foam finish. I always liked the bubble top more than the razorback. I wasn't sure why Eflite went with the razorback.

Fly Time
11-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Hey Bill, that is one nice lookin' jug! I especially love the in-flight shots. You can almost hear that big P&W radial engine!

CHELLIE
11-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Very Nice P47 Bill, it looks so nice , I would be afraid to fly it :) Take care, Chellie

Bill G
11-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey Bill, that is one nice lookin' jug! I especially love the in-flight shots. You can almost hear that big P&W radial engine!The noisy Wattage gearbox actually sounds like a scale P&W too.:D
Who says you need a sound system for electrics. Just use a cheap, noisy gearbox.

Thanks fo the comments Chellie. I was terrified to fly it at first. I have 2 flights on it now, and it actually surpassed my expectations, but I wonder how many more I'll brave putting on it.????

Twmaster
11-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Bill once again I bow to your modeling skills. That is indeed one sweet looking Jug.

I love the third photo. If I were a German in France I'd be ducking right about now.

Fly Time
11-11-2007, 07:24 PM
The noisy Wattage gearbox actually sounds like a scale P&W too.:D
Who says you need a sound system for electrics. Just use a cheap, noisy gearbox.

I run my E-flite P-47 with an inrunner/gearbox and I think the sound adds a lot to the character of the airplane! It's more trouble to set up and maintain but worth it for sure.

Grasshopper
11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I run my E-flite P-47 with an inrunner/gearbox and I think the sound adds a lot to the character of the airplane! It's more trouble to set up and maintain but worth it for sure.

I'm with you Doug. When I first got my P-47 I flew it for a while on the stock brushed motor and lipo. Then I changed it to the park 450 and it was too quiet. I like the sound of the gear box much better.

alienx
11-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Beautiful Bill! I saw it in the guillows conversion thread but didn't realize who's it was.

Man, I look at that 3rd pic and remember why the P47 is my favorite WWII bird!! Looks all business.

Andy

orionRider
11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Congratulations Bill!
Looks gorgeous; both like a plastic kit on static and like the real thing in the air ;-)

Bill G
12-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the comments.
I missed these replys. Have to dig up my posts every now and then.:eek:
Got a kick out of how many folks like the noisy gearboxes too.:D