PDA

View Full Version : Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC

flismall
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
I obtained a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 esc to use with a Eskay 400XT outrunner motor and it would not work, Loud noise and self shutdown when I tried it, used a Jeti and the motor ran just fine. I was told that the Castle Creations probably need to be retimed but I could not find any informatio on how to do that.I emailed CC twice about two weeks apart requesting advice but as yet I have had no response, this from a company that is supposed to pride itself on customer support. Can anyone in Wattflyer land tell me how to retime a TB18, if in fact it can be retimed. TIA
Jim M.

simibill
11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Castle Link allows setting of all ESC parameters including timing. Castle Link connects to a PC via a USB port and to the ESC. Software downloaded from Castle Creations makes setting everything a very easy and simple process.

rcers
11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
You can't change the timing on the TB series controllers. Not even the castle link will allow you to change the timing on the Thunderbird series controllers.

Just Brake on/off
LiPoly or NiMh/Nicad voltage
Motor reverse

That is it...

This is really good on current ESC's - worth a read...

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4892

Mike

simibill
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Mike,
Thanks. I wasn't aware of limitations in TB ESC's.

rcers
11-28-2005, 07:39 PM
simibill - yea the verdict (at least for me) is still out on those. My TP 9 smoked (they had a big issue and recalled them all) and my 18 has very little use. I have a Eskay I want to run with it, but if it is going to be flakey!

Mine does start and run that motor just fine. Just don't have it in the air yet, as that is reserved for a future review I am writing.

Mike

qban_flyer
11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
FWIW:

Of the six I own, I have three Eskay 400XTs in use currently. All are run with inexpensive ($34.95) Great Planes SS-12 B/L ESCs. Absolutely no problems.

Throttle control on these cheap ESCs is rather linear, and there is no programming fuss to get them going.

GallopingGhost
11-29-2005, 03:05 AM
I obtained a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 esc to use with a Eskay 400XT outrunner motor and it would not work, Loud noise and self shutdown when I tried it, used a Jeti and the motor ran just fine. I was told that the Castle Creations probably need to be retimed but I could not find any informatio on how to do that.I emailed CC twice about two weeks apart requesting advice but as yet I have had no response, this from a company that is supposed to pride itself on customer support. Can anyone in Wattflyer land tell me how to retime a TB18, if in fact it can be retimed. TIA
Jim M.

Hmmmm, mayby I got lucky I have the XT400 on a Yak with a Thunderbird 9 and it works perfectly right out of the bag. I never changed the default programing. The XT 400 hits 11 Amps at WOT with a 9X3.8 but I very seldom hit that in flight. The Yak only weighs 12 Oz so its a good combo for me.

qban_flyer
11-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Hmmmm, mayby I got lucky I have the XT400 on a Yak with a Thunderbird 9 and it works perfectly right out of the bag. I never changed the default programing. The XT 400 hits 11 Amps at WOT with a 9X3.8 but I very seldom hit that in flight. The Yak only weighs 12 Oz so its a good combo for me.

NAW!

We have five to seven of the 400XTs in use on a variety of models at our weekend get togethers at the Fulton R/C E-Flight Aerodrome field.

All of them are used with different ESCs, Some are G/P, others use some made in China, while others use the more expensive Jeti ESCs. Most are used with two and three celll Li-Po packs while others are run from eight cell NIMH packs.

The motors have not given any one a cause for grief. They have all operated flawlessly from the the get go. And yes, that Yak/400XT combo is one heck of a good flying affair. I have even flown mine with two cells swinging an 11X3.8SF APC, and while not breaking the sound barrier or allow me to do certain maneuvers, it still is an impressive performer. :)

Matt Kirsch
11-29-2005, 02:17 PM
One thing that can cause problems between ANY motor/ESC combination is a bad solder joint, and bad solder joints are pretty easy to make. Look for dull grey, lumpy joints, and reheat them with a clean, hot iron.

flismall
11-29-2005, 10:58 PM
My thanks to all who responded to my post, I received a lot of good info.

VACaver
12-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Just got and installed a TB-18. Not using LiPo's yet (gotta wait till Christmas), so I tried following the instructions for setting it up with NiMh.

Turned the radio on (with throttle up), plugged the battery in, and got the first multi-tone, follwed by three beeps (it thinks it's seeing LiPo's).

I'm supposed to hear another multi-tone after two seconds when the ESC recognizes full throttle. Nope...nothing.

Moving the throttle to the center, I get the tone like the instructions say I should.

So, any ideas why I'm not getting the multi-tone after the two seconds?

Thanks.

Matt Kirsch
12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Are you sure you're not supposed to move the stick to full throttle to prompt the ESC to recognize full throttle?

VACaver
12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Not according to the instructions.

I'm not getting the mulit-tone after waiting two seconds beyond the first tones (multi-tone, then 3 beeps).

VACaver
12-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Got the answer from Castle...After plugging in the battery, move the throttle trim all the way up to get the two second tone.

Works great.

Sky Sharkster
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I got my first Thunderbird (18) a few weeks ago. Put it on an AXI 2208-26 running 3S 1320 TP LiPos. No Problem! Got all the correct "beeps", good throttle response, smooth operation. Haven't hit LV cut-off. I have the "CC Link" but didn't need it.
It's powering my scratch-built 1/2 size Astro Hog (see Avatar) and I also bench tested it with a Himax 2025 4200, seems to work the same as the old CC's, perfectly.
Sorry to hear you're having problems, my experience with CC has all been very positive. I guess a bad one can slip out once in a while! Ron

VACaver
12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Got it worked out...

Turns out that in addition to having the throttle full up when you plug the battery in, you also have to have the throttle trim all the way up.

So, doing that, everything worked fine.

Hotshot Charlie
12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
The CC Phoneix Link also works with the T'birds. That is the easy way to program CC's controllers. :-)