PDA

View Full Version : Scale Electric Build-off Un-Contest

E-Challenged
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
We had a sponsored scale model design and build-off contest on the E-Zone's Scale Elecric Plane forum for propeller driven single engined models that started last December and ended in May. A number of interesting designs flew by the deadline. My Peashooter flew after the deadline and got an honorable mention. Winners received plaques, etc from the sponsors.

We are starting a smilar sponsored design and build contest for multi engined and EDF models starting next month.

Meanwhile, we also have un-contest that has already started for those who think that they don't have the talent to design their own. All vintages of existing kits or plans, military or civilian, all sizes are welcome. Rules are not yet established but there will probably be a 90-day target time limit to build and maiden the models. A number of builds are already started. There probably be no judging, voting or awards. The amount of enthusiasm for this un-contest is surprising.

It would be good to see something similar done on Watt Flyer's scale electric forum to liven things up , although you are welcome to join the un-contest on E-Zone.

Tucson Don
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
That sounds good to me. I want to enter a Fokker D-V!!!.
Don

Alpea42
11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
maybe this will get me to power up my B 2 Spirit model .The E flight 480s and edf units that power the jetliner prob. are not enough thrust.It weighs 4. 5 lbs as a glider.

E-Challenged
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Mine was the first entry to maiden successfully. It still needs a little tweaking but flew nicely. It would not ROG with the 8x6 GWS slow flyer prop but took off readily with a GWS 9x5 direct drive prop cut down slightly. Low KV outrunners put out best thrust with larger props and the GWS 9x5 DD prop seems best with either 2S or 3S on the Esskay 400XT outrunner and similar motors.

jofrost
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
E ,

Thanks for trying to recruit some more prospective builders , and great job on that Aeronca sedan !

For any and all interested , here is a quick link :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772148

Thanks ,
-John

gfdengine204
01-19-2008, 02:08 PM
What about a contest involving the build of the same aircraft? Give a time limit like the previous one posted, but all participants build the same plane, covering scheme at the discretion of the builder?

Just a random thought as I read through this......

jofrost
01-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I suppose you could if you can find enough people willing to build the same model at the same time :) Our thoughts were to stimulate some building in a world full of ARFs & RTFs

-John

E-Challenged
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
This contest is all about fun, a "same model" contest would be mostly about competition and some would shy away, IMHO. This contest gets a lot of musty old kit boxes and plans off the shelf and stimulates a lot of musty young and old modelers to get going and finish thier builds.

gfdengine204
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh......

I don't have any old musty kits on the shelf.....just the one I am doing now.... :(

Geoff
01-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Our thoughts were to stimulate some building in a world full of ARFs & RTFs

-John
And stimulate you have! E-Challenged built from old Berkeley plans, John's Lysander plans are even older, and I'm building from 1946 Cleveland plans. Lots of other strange and interesting builds going on, so find yourself a kit or a set of plans and start cutting and gluing! Forget the "I don't have time" BS! Neither do the rest of us, but we're doing it anyway!!! Never done it before? No problem! We'll pitch in with all the help you need!

Geoff

jofrost
01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Geoff ,

Thanks for the kind words . You guys have made it all possible !

For those curious here are a couple shots of my Lysander .:)

-John

pd1
01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
John, The lizzy looks great.
What are you flying this weekend?

Paul

jofrost
01-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Paul ,

Thanks . Too bad I can't get you to enter your Taylorcraft in the "contest"

Depending on conditions it may be the J3 , Fokker DR1 and either my Dauntless and or Corsair ( as long as the snow isn't too hard ):D

-John