PDA

View Full Version : Motor Security.

rcgeezer
11-29-2005, 03:42 AM
I converted an Earl Stahl Boulton Paul Defiant To electric. I installed an Ikaris geared unit on a stick mount. When I ran the unit the motor heated up causing the plastic mount to expand with the result that the motor slid back in the mount pulling the drive gear away from the drive assembly.
I can't seem to push the motor back in place. I dont want to break the mount. Should I run the motor till it gets hot and try to push it in or could I heat it wth my hot air gun and try it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

50+AirYears
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
If you do try to reheat the mount, be aware the original softening of the plastic probably resulted in some small distortions from internal molding stresses that could affect gear alighnment and that either method could accentuate the alighnment issues. You are probably better off replacing the mount.

rcgeezer
11-29-2005, 05:49 PM
50+airyears.
Thanks for the input. That problem hadn't ocurred to me. You are right of course. I don't think that unit was particularly efficient anyhow. it was in an Ikarus Euro flying disc and didnt fly all that well. being retired for a number of years I am always limited in funds an trying to make do with what I have. I need to bite the bullet and invest in an outrunner. That seems to be the way to go. as I'm new to electric I have a lot to learn. In any case Thanks again for your help. rcgeezer

wyatt
11-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi RCGEEZER,
You sound like you're in the same position that I am. I've been in RC for the past 35 years and would like to get started in electrics, but am having a tough time finding any info for newcomers. Any suggestions on a good model or system to start with? How'd you get started?

Matt Kirsch
11-30-2005, 07:26 PM
wyatt, pretty much anything can be electrified, and there's a parkflyer for pretty much any interest, so my question would be: What do you like to fly? With all the help available on sites like this, your best chances of sticking with electrics after being a glow flier for so long is to start out with something you'll enjoy flying, not something you'll get bored with.

wyatt
11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Matt,
I'm pretty much a sport/fun type flyer and I enjoy building kits. I've looked at some of the kits available and thought that a Great Planes BLT might be a good place to start (read "cheap"). I've been away from RC for about 8 years and things have moved real fast in the interim. I'm sure I can use my existing xmitters with the new lightweight receivers, but I guess my biggest problem lies in understanding how to select the correct motor/battery combo for a given plane. There seems to be a mind-boggling number of combinations and the nomenclature on the motors doesn't seem to indicate much about what sort of power they might put out, how long they might run with battery X, flying airplane Y, using propellor Z....

Where does one start? (I know, I know...go to my local hobby shop...but that's 30 miles from my house and I don't hang out there very often.)

50+AirYears
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
The Electric manufacturers definitely need to get some kind of standardization on their nomenclature to make selection as easy as it is with the IC people.
At least some of the Hacker ads have carried charts with combinations of motor/escs for certain categories with some examples to indicate size, and Hobby Lobby has tried to do the same.
There have been some posts on several of the Electric Flyer web sites giving examples on figuring out the motor run time from the battery capacity and expected current draw. A bit of time spent cruising these sight as well as some inquiries like this one should help. There are also a number of (real paper) books on the market on getting started with electric.

rcgeezer
12-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Hello Wyat..
I can't say that I'm really started in electric. Like you I'v been flying R/C for about thesane length of time. I've accumulated a lot of Glow stuff and kind of put off switching to electric. I'm accumumulating a lot of birthdays and can't stand the cold any longer. I thought maybe if I did some indoor electric I could fly in the school gym o the fire hall. I've always enjoyed building rubber scale and figured it woul be fun to convert them. The equipment I have was given to me by my old flying buddies who have either passed away or can no longer use it.
Iv'e read lots of stuff on electric but being non technical most of it confuses me. another problem is my lack of financing. I can't afford to invest in something that may not work. Benn there and done that too many times.
What I have done so far is build a Thomas Morse with a GWS out fit, so far unflown. Ditto for a Dumas GEE BEE. I have an Ikaus outfit in a Boulton Paul Defiant with motor problems. Have a Fairchild 24 yet to be coverted. Right now I'm building a Skyshark R/C kit of a TBM Avenger That my flying buddy gave me. After that i'm into the electric big time. Sold off all my old engines and stuff and going small. Right now I'm trying to suck up al t5he info you guys can give me. These forums are great. lots of good stuff. Thanks. Harry

wyatt
12-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi 50,+
If you know the titles of some of those books and where I could get them, I'd sure appreciate the info! I asked at my hobby shop and was told that electrics are advancing so fast that nobody has written anything to help us newbies. I'm the type who likes to read a lot about a new venture before I go investing my $ in it. I've got a lot invested in glow-fuel planes, but will admit that electrics do seem to be the latest and greatest. I'll cave in a bit and try an electric kit, but I'm still resisting the ARF craze. I enjoy the building as much as the flying and still remember the taste of Ambroid when you chewed it off of your fingers and the smell of butyrate dope applied to tissue. Guess that makes me old, huh?

wyatt
12-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Thanks Harry,
I know what you mean about the cold and the expense. I've got the technical training but I have yet to figure out how one converts amps or watts to thrust. There's a lot that has to happen before electrons get converted to a flying machine. I'll keep reading and see what I can learn. There's a lot of experience on these pages and sooner or later some of it ought to soak in to my noggin.