PDA

View Full Version : Cobra

Walt Thyng
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Here are a few pics of my latest project ---one year in the building. Dan Santich plans from MAN. 1/4 scale. My version is with Doug Watts' mods. Power MegaMax 3.7/2Y on a 12S2P A123 pack running thru a CC HV85 esc. Prop APCe 16/12 drawing 60 amps. A terrific flyer. Did a full set of pattern maneuvers on the test flight. Stalls were very gentle and it landed like an STOL bird. Covering is Ultracoat. Decals all made on an inkjet.
Walt

BuzzardBait
11-19-2007, 01:48 PM
WOW.. that is truely spectacular!!!

Wanna give insight on the inkjet decals??? Been looking for something like that for my scratchbuild warbirds!!

Walt Thyng
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
BB, i've used both Micro Mark and Testor's inkjet decal paper. I don't see any real difference except that Micro Mark comes in 8.5 by 11 sheets and Testors in 5.5 by 11. It's available in both clear and white. Since most color printers don't do white, if you need a white background you use the white sheet. Just download your decals from an on-line source (I got the Shell, Autolite and Perfect Ring decals from their web-site logos). Then set your printer for the correct medium (most printers have a decal paper setting) and quality level. The quality thing may take some testing if your printer does not ahve an automatic setting for decal paper as too much ink can lead to smearing. I've heard of some guys reprinting the decal after the ink has thoroughly dried to get a more opaque color. I seal my decals with Krylon Crystal Clear in either satin or gloss depending on the use. One trick I learned is to cut the decal slightly oversize and do the final trimming after sealing. They slide off the backing more easily this way. After that it's jsut a matter of using yur favorite method for getting bubbles out, but do it with care as these are more fragile than the commercial decals.
Walt