PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Build A Boat

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 12:24 AM
This is about the closest forum I could get to discuss this.

Stevecooper gave me an idea. He made a boat to fetch his seaplanes in case something goes wrong. I would like to do that also, but try to improve on his design.

I'm thinking I could use thrust vectoring to turn my boat. I am also thinking of adding a rudder, but not sure if that will be necessary. Just a straight blade in the water centered on the hull to keep it from drifting.

I have a Himax 2015 which should be plenty to push this boat around.

What do you folks think? Will it work?

I haven't sketched any designs yet, it's still in the planning stages.

Thanks,

Frank

RocketMan
11-18-2007, 12:47 AM
This is about the closest forum I could get to discuss this.

Stevecooper gave me an idea. He made a boat to fetch his seaplanes in case something goes wrong. I would like to do that also, but try to improve on his design.

I'm thinking I could use thrust vectoring to turn my boat. I am also thinking of adding a rudder, but not sure if that will be necessary. Just a straight blade in the water centered on the hull to keep it from drifting.

I have a Himax 2015 which should be plenty to push this boat around.

What do you folks think? Will it work?

I haven't sketched any designs yet, it's still in the planning stages.

Thanks,

Frank

Are you thinking of something like an RC tugboat that can go out and do the rescue? Maybe there could be some kind of latch made out of rare earth magnets that the 'tugboat' could connect to and tow back...

RM

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I think it would be cool Frank... and very doable. The magnet idea is very good also.

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
No tugboat or rescue vehicle was in consideration, although that would be a good idea for fellow fliers, I was just going to build a boat to play with on the lake/pond nearby using airplane parts.

Frank

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Thanks,

Frank

Oh... that made me think you were doing the same thing...;)

One of those fan boats they use int he swamps would be cool!

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Yup, that's close to what I was thinking except my motor would be mounted on a movable turret (for lack of a better word) which would be controlled by a servo on channel 1. The motor would move left and right (port to starboard :)) which would make the boat turn.

What do you think?

Frank

PS I see my explanation let to confusion sorry about that.

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I think it would work very well.

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Hey check this out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UmAjMDc6BQQ

and this one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F3maP8tX3t8

stevecooper
11-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Murocflyer::sounds good!! TwoX8 PT wood and some alum, tube'in an so old gasser parts some tupper-ware an a sugar-cup, ceder roof shakes for rudders,she's good for loop'in the fetch-line around the fly'in water born navigation hassered, your bub, stevecooper

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Steve you have quite the imagination!

tupperware?!?!!:rolleyes::D

stevecooper
11-18-2007, 01:57 AM
firemanbill::Tuppy Keeps reciever& batt dry but somebody sugared my gas!!your bub, stevecooper

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 02:00 AM
firemanbill::Tuppy Keeps reciever& batt dry but somebody sugared my gas!!your bub, stevecooper

Yeah that's what I figured... sugar in the gas... LMAO!:D

TLyttle
11-18-2007, 02:32 AM
Consider a sternwheeler. They have VERY shallow draft, there is no prop to foul, and they have good buoyancy. Simply rig a "forklift" on the front deck with a winch, and pick the model up, or just push it.

Next thing you know, you will find that the wheelboats are fascinating in their own right...

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Good find Bill. Those videos got me stoked on getting this boat built. Time to get out my slide rule.

Frank

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Here is where I am at. Got the motor mount made and servo connections. I am using an old arrow shaft I found.

Total $$ invested to this point: $0.00 :D

Frank

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Total $$ invested to this point: $0.00 :D

Frank

Well so far it looks like you've got your money's worth!:rolleyes::D

Murocflyer
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
You bet Bill! It was such a beautiful day, I went flying instead of working on this. I didn't even get the foam from Lowe's. I need that next, then I will build the frame for the motor. This would have been quick and easy, but the thrust vectoring is throwing in a slight curve ball. No worries though, as this is fun stuff. If you haven't noticed, I decided to go with the BP-21 motor vs. the Himax. No reason to risk a $50 motor.

Frank

firemanbill
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh me too... we just got in a bit ago from flying at the field. Jrookie and pburt1975 came down from Richmond and we maidened his Christen Eagle, the one he won at the fly in.

That was cool. I got to give that airplane away and still got to fly it!:D

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Consider a sternwheeler. They have VERY shallow draft, there is no prop to foul, and they have good buoyancy. Simply rig a "forklift" on the front deck with a winch, and pick the model up, or just push it.

Next thing you know, you will find that the wheelboats are fascinating in their own right...

I am really getting into this RC rescue boat idea although I'm not sure Frank is really too focussed on that...

In any case no matter what reason to build the boat I think it should be made only of parts that are left over!

Cheers,

RM

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 12:58 AM
RM,

A rescue boat is not my intent since I don't know anyone who regularly flies off the water, but if this design proves airworthy, err I mean seaworthy, I will definitely look into that more. This is a prototype version so I'm not sure how well this is going to work. I'm sure I will learn more as I go along.

Most of the parts will be stuff I have laying around, although I need to buy foam. That should be it though.

Thanks for the interest.

Frank

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 01:13 AM
RM,

A rescue boat is not my intent since I don't know anyone who regularly flies off the water, but if this design proves airworthy, err I mean seaworthy, I will definitely look into that more. This is a prototype version so I'm not sure how well this is going to work. I'm sure I will learn more as I go along.

Most of the parts will be stuff I have laying around, although I need to buy foam. That should be it though.

Thanks for the interest.

Frank

Well if you don't mind I will tag along in this thread with the rescue boat idea and follow your design for the boat itself.

The things that have occurred to me that are important for rescue are:

- the radio system should be completely different because for rescue you don't want to use the same radio as for your downed plane (for me I have several 27 MHz radios kicking around that would be perfect).

- there needs to be some kind of good mechanism to fasten onto the downed airplane. A boom with rare earth magnets would latch onto an outrunner with no problem (as one idea)...

Cheers,

Rick

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Sure Rick you are welcome to come along for the ride. I hope I don't disappoint.

Maybe some other folks will pop and provide some ideas/methods that worked for them.

Frank

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Sure Rick you are welcome to come along for the ride. I hope I don't disappoint.

Maybe some other folks will pop and provide some ideas/methods that worked for them.

Frank

Hi Frank, after my last post I realized it would probably be more effective to mount a couple of magnets in the nose of the seaplane to attach to the rescue boom. Just in case and all that. But it would still be good to be able to rescue other planes that are not so well equipped.

BTW, I already have some spare foam. lol.

Rick

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Or maybe even two 45 degree dowels pointing out from the front to corral the plane and then push it towards the shore?

Just a thought.

I'll have plenty of left over foam after my trip to Lowe's tomorrow. :)

Frank

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Or maybe even two 45 degree dowels pointing out from the front to corral the plane and then push it towards the shore?

Just a thought.

I'll have plenty of left over foam after my trip to Lowe's tomorrow. :)

Frank

Yeah that's a good idea about the dowels. Probably a whole lot smarter than the robotic arm I was starting to think of...

Rick

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Sure, but the cool factor in a robotic arm would be over the top!

If you go that route, it would be cool to have a second guy controlling that and also have a video down link. Not that would be totally awesome!!

Frank

Biplane Murphy
11-19-2007, 02:19 AM
The older guys in my club fly at a lake sometimes..... one has an RC retrieval boat.....he has a long string that is tied to the back.....he circles the plane several times to wrap the string around the plane and tows it to shore....

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Sure, but the cool factor in a robotic arm would be over the top!

If you go that route, it would be cool to have a second guy controlling that and also have a video down link. Not that would be totally awesome!!

Frank

Sheesh, you are a bad influence! I think that flying the boat (oops driving) and operating the robotic arm with camera at the same time wouldn't be out of the question. Unless you get close to the dam at the end of the lake...

Cheers,

Rick

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 02:28 AM
The older guys in my club fly at a lake sometimes..... one has an RC retrieval oat.....he has a long string that is tied to the back.....he circles the plane several times to wrap the string around the plane and tows it to shore....

Is that a robotic string Murph? :D

I guess that will work -simple and effective.

Frank

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Is that a robotic string Murph? :D

I guess that will work -simple and effective.

Frank

Maybe a shallow net would be better? I can imagine situations where a string wouldn't work. In any case sound like a great idea. Lots of room for experiment by the looks of it!

RM

Biplane Murphy
11-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Robotic Lasso?.........:D

syberjunkie
11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Thought I'd add this, I built this out of foam board and leftover parts from a HZ firebird commander, works really well.

http://syberjunkie.secretsquirrelclub.com/forums/whitelightning.jpg

RocketMan
11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Thought I'd add this, I built this out of foam board and leftover parts from a HZ firebird commander, works really well.

That is great! I can see a new life for some of the parts from my defunct Aerobird Swift that is going to be decommissioned tonight...

RM

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 11:26 PM

Hey that's cool! Nice work. How does it turn though?

Frank

Murocflyer
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Robotic Lasso?.........:D

Now you are talking!!!

Frank

Murocflyer
11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
I picked up my foam tonight and started making my boat. I forgot one little thing though when I decided to make this boat.

I don't know anything about boats! :o :o :o

Frank

Biplane Murphy
11-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I picked up my foam tonight and started making my boat. I forgot one little thing though when I decided to make this boat.

I don't know anything about boats! :o :o :o

Frank

You should talk to our Bub (Steve Cooper)...... He is a proffesional boat builder........I bet he would be full of great advise.....Just make sure you have your Steve Cooper post decoder ring ready....:D;-):Q:)

Murocflyer
11-20-2007, 02:12 AM
That's a good idea. Maybe I'll post some pics and he can let me know if I'm on the right track.

Frank

syberjunkie
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey that's cool! Nice work. How does it turn though?

I was kicking around the idea of using a air rudder, but i decided it would be easier to do a water rudder, so i bent one up out of alumn. it's a "breakaway rudder" meaning it will bent up if i run over a log or something...

http://syberjunkie.secretsquirrelclub.com/forums/whitelightning_rudder.jpg

syberjunkie
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
oh ya'll might like this, this is the first version (i.e. same electronics):

http://syberjunkie.secretsquirrelclub.com/videos/MFT-1_0001.jpg

and a 6mb video of it doin it's thing, worked great on carpet/hardsurface but didn't float.

http://syberjunkie.secretsquirrelclub.com/videos/MFT-1-3-11-07.wmv

Murocflyer
11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I was kicking around the idea of using a air rudder, but i decided it would be easier to do a water rudder, so i bent one up out of alumn. it's a "breakaway rudder" meaning it will bent up if i run over a log or something...

I see. Great idea. Thanks for the reply.

Frank

Murocflyer
11-21-2007, 01:53 AM
oh ya'll might like this, this is the first version (i.e. same electronics):

and a 6mb video of it doin it's thing, worked great on carpet/hardsurface but didn't float.

http://syberjunkie.secretsquirrelclub.com/videos/MFT-1-3-11-07.wmv

Wow, that little motor puts out some thrust. What is it?

Frank

Murocflyer
11-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Well without our bub's help, I'm struggling through this on my own. I made some foam strips and put them on the bottom of the boat to help it to track straight in the water. I took a short video of the basic setup, still need to add the battery housing and such. You can see the servo pull arm is a little stiff, but should loosen up over time.

Here is a link to the video.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/users/murocflyer/42e3e831b7d197ec6636fc761db498e0?index=0

Frank

Biplane Murphy
11-21-2007, 02:10 AM

Murocflyer
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Here she is. Ready for the 3-hour tour :)

It actually slides and turns around on the garage floor quite nicely. I was pleasantly surprised.

Frank

PS It cost me $10.29 (for the foam)

syberjunkie
11-22-2007, 12:01 AM
coooool! can't wait for the video on the water!

btw, the motor in my vid is a 400 brushed

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 12:34 AM
No wonder it scooted along so well.

OK couldn't wait, had to go play some more.

Here a video of my boat in the garage. Hard to video and steer at the same time. Should have used my headcam.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/users/murocflyer/99c301240990feaf9771d14c561e3c0e?index=0

Frank

RocketMan
11-22-2007, 01:19 AM
No wonder it scooted along so well.

OK couldn't wait, had to go play some more.

Here a video of my boat in the garage. Hard to video and steer at the same time. Should have used my headcam.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/users/murocflyer/99c301240990feaf9771d14c561e3c0e?index=0

Frank
I love it! It's really just a 2D airplane, don't you think? :D

RM

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 01:25 AM
That's all it is. I am seriously considering adding a wing to this once I get tired of it just to see if I can get it to fly. How cool would that be??

Frank

RocketMan
11-22-2007, 01:58 AM
That's all it is. I am seriously considering adding a wing to this once I get tired of it just to see if I can get it to fly. How cool would that be??

Frank
We will call it 2.5D then... It sounds like a great plan to me.

RM

Sparky Paul
11-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Got this ready for the weekend, but the winds are predicted to blow out the lake... Drat!

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Wow Paul, that's pretty sweet looking! I bet it will fly just as good as she looks. What lake will you be flying off of when you get the chance?

Frank

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Anyone seen Stevecooper (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=8969) around?

I'd figure he's be stopping in by now. How could he resist boats AND planes?

Frank

firemanbill
11-22-2007, 02:18 AM
pretty cool Frank... Do you think you might need to form the nose of it up just a bit? It want to try and submarine on ye if the nose dips...:eek:

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:33 AM
pretty cool Frank... Do you think you might need to form the nose of it up just a bit? It want to try and submarine on ye if the nose dips...:eek:

Shoot I don't know Bill. Maybe. It's pretty light though in the front so I don't know how much it will dip or want to dip. If it does, I can certainly add a little foam up there. I got plenty!

Frank

firemanbill
11-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Give it a shot and see what it does first. is you prop level. If you point it up a bit it may keep the nose up.

Sparky Paul
11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Wow Paul, that's pretty sweet looking! I bet it will fly just as good as she looks. What lake will you be flying off of when you get the chance?

Frank
Frank,
Lake Elizabeth, wind and fire closure permitting.
This is the first version.. the horizontal turned out to be too close to the water, and broke during a landing. The newer one has the horizontal raised quite a bit.. and stiffer (1/4" instead of 3/16" stick construction).

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Give it a shot and see what it does first. is you prop level. If you point it up a bit it may keep the nose up.

That's exactly what I did Bill. Are you reading my mind? Weird huh?

Frank

firemanbill
11-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Hey Great minds think alike...:p:D

Airhead
11-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Got this ready for the weekend, but the winds are predicted to blow out the lake... Drat!
Hey Frank,
That is sweet.....:ws: What a great project you have going on...

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Frank,
Lake Elizabeth, wind and fire closure permitting.
This is the first version.. the horizontal turned out to be too close to the water, and broke during a landing. The newer one has the horizontal raised quite a bit.. and stiffer (1/4" instead of 3/16" stick construction).

Ahh, Lake Elizabeth. Used to do a lot of cycling past that lake.

Good luck with your maiden. It sure is a sweet looking plane.

Frank

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Hey Great minds think alike...:p:D

I guess so! :D

Frank

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Hey Frank,
That is sweet.....:ws: What a great project you have going on...

Thanks Bruce. I'm looking forward to trying her out on the lake. Should be fun. And a diversion from flying planes.

Although...

What I am really looking forward to is seeing if she'll be able to fly somehow. That'll take some head scratching for sure.

Frank

Airhead
11-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Shoot,
You can do it Frank... good luck. Let us know how it goes..:ws:

firemanbill
11-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Thanks Bruce. I'm looking forward to trying her out on the lake. Should be fun. And a diversion from flying planes.

Although...

What I am really looking forward to is seeing if she'll be able to fly somehow. That'll take some head scratching for sure.

Frank

You know what else will be fun with that thing... When it snows!

Airhead
11-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Thats right Bill, I hope we con't get any in Alabama...:Q

Murocflyer
11-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you are right.

Bill,

That's a great idea. I bet it would be a blast. Not much of chance though 'round these parts.

Frank

firemanbill
11-22-2007, 03:12 AM
yeah not much... You got more of a chance than I do though...

I bet we'll get some this winter though.

CHELLIE
11-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Here you Go :ws:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VOSxjQR7L5w&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oNubB7RwyBM&feature=related

Jim Casey
11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
http://http://www.southeastrc.com/WebImages/200/dum1505.jpgAm I the only one who remembers the Dumas Swamp Buggy?
http://www.southeastrc.com/WebImages/200/dum1505.jpg

TLyttle
11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but what is that big, stinky lump between the fins? ;-)

The airboat in the 2nd video looks to be a bit nose heavy; try moving the battery pack around a bit...

Murocflyer
11-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Bill,

You were right. The nose wanted to dive in the water. I gotta build it up. Video later tonight.

Frank

firemanbill
11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Maybe a bend the front upward a bit so it'll ride above the water line

Murocflyer
11-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Here's the video of before and after the front end work.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/4d05eb69ffb910cc4ca3cb0314cadb16?index=0

Mods worked well and it was a success.

Although I did find the whole boat thing to be somewhat boring. My next project is to build a boat that flies. It will also have thrust vectoring and actually work on land and water. My son dubbed it a "barplane." Boat-Car-Plane. He's 10. He's allowed to say stuff like that.

Frank

CHELLIE
11-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Here's the video of before and after the front end work.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/4d05eb69ffb910cc4ca3cb0314cadb16?index=0

Mods worked well and it was a success.

Although I did find the whole boat thing to be somewhat boring. My next project is to build a boat that flies. It will also have thrust vectoring and actually work on land and water. My son dubbed it a "barplane." Boat-Car-Plane. He's 10. He's allowed to say stuff like that.

Frank

That looked like fun, looks like the boat has a lot of drag to it, add 2 pontunes/floats under it, like the Miss hydro has, to cut the drag, and it will scream, take care, Chellie

http://www.nitroplanes.com/redrarecohyh.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RC-3-in-1-Hydro-Foam-Glider-Flying-Boat-Airplane_W0QQitemZ150114135299QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3 4058QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UkxkvxTsBx8

firemanbill
11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Don't get in a spot where ya have to back up huh?!

It does look like it has a LOT of drag.

RocketMan
11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Frank, you might want to have a look at the Capricorn at this thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26120&highlight=capricorn

Not only is it a great boat but it looks like it flies amazingly well. I'm expecting that it will be excellent in the snow too.

I've been collecting materials and plan to build one before the end of the year. I'm currently traveling on business until the middle of December unfortunately or I would have started by now. You will see that I asked a lot of questions there. Maybe you can take up the slack and beat me to it! Hey you've already got the foam for the 'sponsons'...

Cheers.

RM

Murocflyer
11-25-2007, 10:59 PM
It does appear to have a lot of drag, mainly because of the steps in the foam on the front piece. Next one will be smoothed out and a lot smaller. I'm thinking 18"L x 9"W.

I'm gonna stick with the thrust vectoring concept as that seems to work well. Next thing is making a version that flies. That will be something to see.

Frank

Murocflyer
11-25-2007, 11:05 PM
RM,

Thanks for the link. That does look like a very interesting project there. It seems like a very capable flying/boating machine.

Good luck with yours.

Frank

Sparky Paul
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Miserable failure.. couldn't get up on the stop. Drat!

Murocflyer
11-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Paul,

Say it ain't so?! What happend?

Frank

Sparky Paul
11-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking there's not enough depth in the forebody aft to the step.
It's just pink foam, so I sanded off the vee that was there and added a plank of foam to get the step further down.
Will be sanded to shape when the glue dries.

Murocflyer
11-26-2007, 01:12 AM
So you are saying it is sitting to low in the water?

And the step is not just slightly aft of the CG?

Frank

Murocflyer
11-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I believe I have come up with a better method for turning the motor for my thrust vectoring. But I don't want to get side tracked from building my LoLo. That is next on my list.

So standby for my barplane. I'll post with updates when I get started back on it.

I don't know if anyone else has attempted this type of plane before. I'll have to do some searching.

Frank

GreenAce92
11-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Hey these guys have a good tugboat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3I9E1dFLSY

ElCapitanAmerica
11-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Hey these guys have a good tugboat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3I9E1dFLSY

Well, I could have used this yesterday so I didn't have to go into almost to the waist deep dirty water to recover my Super Cub. Mine looked exactly like that one, which I guess saved the electronics from getting completely drenched since they seem to be working fine now.

CHELLIE
11-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Miserable failure.. couldn't get up on the stop. Drat!

Hi Paul :ws: it looks like it cant break the surface tention on the water, it might need a step on the bottom of the fuselage to break the surface tension, look at the floats used on sea planes to get an idea, the step is normally at the CG, Take care, Chellie.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/pb720.jpg

Murocflyer
11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Chellie,

FYI about Sparky Paul. He is probably one of the most experienced aeromodelers on WF if not the most. That's why I was so surprised that his plane did not fly off the water after the second try. I have no doubts that it will though.

Oh and the step, from what I have been told, needs to be slightly aft of the CG mark, not right at it.

Frank

Sparky Paul
11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
The new bottom adds a taper all the way back to the step.
This should raise the plane as speed increases.The previous was flat back to the step with not much of a rise at the nose.
The earlier plane was also reluctant to get off smooth water, with a similar almost flat bottom line.

Sparky Paul
11-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I was looking at those seaplane floats myself yesterday.. be easy to take one of those and add a motor-tail-wing structure on top.

stevecooper
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Sparky Paul::CHELLIE's right on!Put gws float on an she'll step right on up!! your bub, stevecooper

Murocflyer
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Here are a few thoughts on how I'm going to make my next one:

1. It's going to made out of rediboard and not the blucor foam. Should be lighter.

2. There is only going to be 4 contact areas with the ground/water. This will decrease the amount of drag on the water.

3. I will build the wings with dihedral so it can self right itself after a turn.

That's about all I got for now.

Frank