PDA

View Full Version : Is Google tracking us?

Twmaster
11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
When I perform a search I notice data being sent to the web site 'google-analytics.com'.

What gives? Are we being tracked?

This gives me the creeps knowing how firms like Google use this sort of info.

CHELLIE
11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
When I perform a search I notice data being sent to the web site 'google-analytics.com'.

What gives? Are we being tracked?

This gives me the creeps knowing how firms like Google use this sort of info.

this might give you a little more information, take care, Chellie

http://www.google.com/analytics/

Bill G
01-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Every bit as annoying, are these clowns that do Google searches, when they want to see if their business, or something they have to sell has been mentioned somewhere. For example, you're talking about some type of ARF, and suddenly someone who NEVER posts mysteriosly butts into the thread, with one for sale.

fr4nk1yn
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Yes google is tracking you. I monitor the kids internet usage through OpenDNS and Google analytics is the top site.

I use Firefox along with the customize google add-on to screw with the results and tracking. I just hope it works.

Gnascher
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
It's not as sinister as you think.

Google analytics comes from a code-snippet that's voluntarily put on this site to provide the site operators with statistics about how the site is used. It's a very good package, and as a web developer I use it extensively myself.

E-commerce sites can use it to see how well their site design is driving sales. Online advertisers use it to see how well their advertising is driving business to their websites.

I'd expect wattflyer uses it for a few reasons:

1. Keep track of traffic volume so they know how valuable their adspace is and charge the advertisers appropriately.

2. Keep track of traffic volume so they can understand if their servers can handle the traffic ... and for how long with expected growth. (One of the things analytics can track is page load time)

3. Keep track of what features of the site we users are finding useful ... and how long we spend browsing those features. If used properly, this can help them prioritize what features of the site get the most development attention.

Anyway ... Firefox (or any other browser) doesn't screw with the statistics at all. Really the only way to avoid it (and other tools like it) is stay off the internet. Well, you could also disable javascript and image downloads and disable cookies ... but then you might as well just go read a book.

Also, don't use credit cards, your supermarket discount card, or your gym membership. All of these devices are used in similar ways by their issuing entities outside of the internet.

Mike Parsons
01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd expect wattflyer uses it for a few reasons:

2. Keep track of traffic volume so they can understand if their servers can handle the traffic ... and for how long with expected growth. (One of the things analytics can track is page load time)

3. Keep track of what features of the site we users are finding useful ... and how long we spend browsing those features. If used properly, this can help them prioritize what features of the site get the most development attention.

Yes and Yes :) You hit the nail on the head.

FlyingMonkey
01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Every bit as annoying, are these clowns that do Google searches, when they want to see if their business, or something they have to sell has been mentioned somewhere. For example, you're talking about some type of ARF, and suddenly someone who NEVER posts mysteriosly butts into the thread, with one for sale.

Yeah, but those guys usually don't do well here because no one knows them.

Bill G
02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah, but those guys usually don't do well here because no one knows them.
Correct, but on the same lines, users on the forums do that, and its downright annoying. Folks know who they are, but they keenly show up in forums that they normally are not in, as soon as a thread about a type of plane they are selling comes up.:rolleyes:
We all know they are doing a forum search, to see what threads are out there, so they can solicit them.