problem: after 1 min, the esc gets very hot & shuts down. I am running:
2 GWS ips s1 geared
1 E flight 30 amp esc
1 7.4V 1200 MAH Lithium Polymer battery
3 servos GWS pico
What am I doing wrong???:confused:

Big_Bird
11-30-2005, 04:27 AM
1. Not enough cooling air flow. Get more cooling.
2. Too much current flow. Check with a meter. Unhook one motor and try again.
3. Shorted motor windings. Unhook one motor and try again.
4. Don't run continuously at high throttle.
5. Make sure you are not over propped.
6. It may be malfunctioning. Try a different ESC
7. Recheck your ESC programming.
or.........

trogdor
11-30-2005, 05:16 AM
I dunno, I don't see how ips motors could overload a 30amp esc without the battery also being stressed... maybe something with the BEC giving power to the servos? Those picos are known for being power hungry, maybe try unplugging all the servos and testing again.. if still a problem I'd guess a faulty esc.

Geoff_Gino
11-30-2005, 05:55 AM
problem: after 1 min, the esc gets very hot & shuts down. I am running:
2 GWS ips s1 geared
1 E flight 30 amp esc
1 7.4V 1200 MAH Lithium Polymer battery
3 servos GWS pico
What am I doing wrong???:confused:

Hi Guys

Just finishing up on a Soaring Star and experienced the same problem last night when test running the motor.

Using a 540 brushed motor and a Sailplanes ESC the motor quit at 60% throttle drawing 28 amps.
I reset the cut-off voltage on the ESC (this is the part I don't like) :eek: and it looks as though it is now set to 5 volts and for a 2S pack that is no good.

The ESC is programmed with the throttle and it is hard to tell if the setting is correct.

The motor is not cutting out any more and only drawing 32 amps, but I am still worried about the cut-off voltage.

Geoff

Rugar
11-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Hi Guys

Just finishing up on a Soaring Star and experienced the same problem last night when test running the motor.

Using a 540 brushed motor and a Sailplanes ESC the motor quit at 60% throttle drawing 28 amps.
I reset the cut-off voltage on the ESC (this is the part I don't like) :eek: and it looks as though it is now set to 5 volts and for a 2S pack that is no good.

The ESC is programmed with the throttle and it is hard to tell if the setting is correct.

The motor is not cutting out any more and only drawing 32 amps, but I am still worried about the cut-off voltage.

Geoff

What batteries are you using?

Geoff_Gino
11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Gerald

Using a 2S1P 2,5 amp Flightpower LiPo. Initially I set the cut-off to 6 volts but could not get more than 26 amps without shutting off.

I suspect the cut-off is now 5 volt which of course is not good.

Thanks
Geoff

Rugar
11-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Gerald

Using a 2S1P 2,5 amp Flightpower LiPo. Initially I set the cut-off to 6 volts but could not get more than 26 amps without shutting off.

I suspect the cut-off is now 5 volt which of course is not good.

Thanks
Geoff

Is it this pack?
http://www.flightpower.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=4200013

Geoff_Gino
11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Gerald

Nope - it's this one

http://www.flightpower.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=4200012

Geoff

Rugar
11-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Opps, you did say 2S.

Whats your voltage show @ 32amps? I assume your using a Watt meter to check your amps?

Geoff_Gino
11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Started with a full battery and during testing the battery got low and I recharged.

In the first run the voltage was 6.6 volts with 28 amps draw when the ESC cuts off. After the charge and reprogramming the ESC I got the full 32 amp but being charged the voltage was 7 volts.

I am not using a Watt meter, my meter switches between volts and amps.

Geoff

Rugar
11-30-2005, 11:42 AM
You really need to get that LVC set at 6v
Maybe that battery isnt going to handle even close to what they claim?

Geoff_Gino
11-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Pretty sure the battery can handle it, last night ran WOT for a full 3 minutes and it gave me 32 amps.

I'll do some more tests tonight and post tomorrow after I set the LVC back to 6 volts.

Geoff

walter boehm
11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks Big Bird, trogdor, and Geoff Gino....
I will give this info a try and get back to you later

Thanks again,
walter boehm

Geoff_Gino
12-01-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Gerald

Tests last night were a little better. Started with a full battery and managed to reset the cut-off to 6 volts. (MAN I wish them clever guys could write the instructions "in good English")

Pulling 32 amps and the ESC stayed alive for 3 minutes before cutting off at 6,1 volt. This was pretty good seeing as the WOT period should only be for 30 seconds or so.

Anyway even though I would like the brake on, the programming was so hit and miss I didn't want to chance resetting the cut-off and left it at that. The plane is a glider and the WOT should be for short bursts only.

Walter,
Sorry if I seemed to have hijacked this thread, but our problems appear to be the same and I knew that (in my case) the cut-off voltage was suspect. Perhaps yours is also solved now.

Gerald,
I do think the battery can deliver what they state as I whacked it pretty good with the 3 minute run.

Thanks for your input, it was great.

Geoff

Rugar
12-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Glad to hear things worked better for you. I still don't feel that battery is putting out what they claim though. According to their 20C discharge claim, it should be able to pull 50amps for 3 mins without hitting LVC. So at 32 amps it is still coming up short. As long as it works for you and your happy, that's all that matters.

Be careful doing WOT runs on the bench for that long without any cooling.

Geoff_Gino
12-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Gerald

Not entirely happy with the current draw, but the LHS only had a 40 amp ESC so I had to settle for that.

Had one hand on the battery and the other on the ESC :eek: Didn't have one left for the motor :D

Geoff

Geoff_Gino
12-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi Gerald

You were right, the battery cannot deliver. However on a closer look the pack claims 14C on climb out which only gives me 30,8 amps and that is not enough when there's no wind. Battery voltage drops dramatically, but at least the ESC is doing it's job.

Going to add another 2S pack in //llel and of course re-set the CG. :o
Shouldn't have any problems after that.

Geoff