PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick upgrade....brushless?

cliktobuy
11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi, i'm thinking its time to upgrade my slow stick. I have a few questions, would a brushless be a big improvement from my 300 brushed motor. And my second question can i used my brushed esc (great planes i believe?) with a brushless motor? I need something a little cheaper, does this seem ok, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKKK7&P=0 and what esc would be good and cheap to go with it? And my last question would it improve my battery life much (8.4v 750mah)?

Thanks, Kent

NotAnAceYet
11-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Kent - I'm running a brushless on my SS - you'll see a BIG difference.
If you go to a brushless motor - you have to have a brushless ESC - you can't use your brushed ESC.
I'm not familiar with that motor at Tower - I'll let somebody else respond to that question.

Larry

qban_flyer
11-30-2005, 01:53 AM
My set up:

$69.84 (I already had the batteries).

Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT outrunner B/L motor $29.90, E-flite EFLM1915 Stick Mount adapter $4.99, Great Planes SS-12 B/L ESC $34.95 spinning a 10X3.8SF APC propeller with a 900 maH 2 cell T/P Li-Po pack will generate enough power to make it climb at 30 degree angle, be able to loop from level flight and inverted as well. Current draw WOT = 6 Amps. Half throttle 1.5 Amps.

Go to a 9X3.8SF APC with a three cell Li-Po pack and it goes vertical on you! :)

For a few $$$ than the cost of the Ultrafly motor alone you can get your S/S to perform like you've never dreamed. It also looks more 'elegant'.

BTW, the Ultrafly is a great motor, but it's costlier and adds the complication and additional noise of a gearbox. The 400Xt is totally silent!

cliktobuy
11-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Awesome. Thanks! Thanks thats exactly what i was looking for. I can run my battery with that can't i?

Rugar
11-30-2005, 02:47 AM
Awesome. Thanks! Thanks thats exactly what i was looking for. I can run my battery with that can't i?

You can but your flight times will be short still. Get a 3S1P 1200 to 1500 Lipo and you could probably fly for 20 to 30 Min's at a time.

cliktobuy
11-30-2005, 02:48 AM
i would, but that would mean i have to buy another charger. i'd like to but am limited to what i can spend :(

cliktobuy
11-30-2005, 03:55 AM
More comments welcome!

qban_flyer
11-30-2005, 07:43 AM
More comments welcome!
There is one of the guys at Fulton R/C E-Flight Aerodrome in MD that flies his Slow Stick on 850 and 1100 maH NIMH seven and eight cell packs. While the flight times are somewhat shortened, the performance is so enhanced that he is still having a ball with it. He has five of the NIMH packs and says he is going to use them until they stop taking a charge! :p

His AUW is 18 oz. Mine a tad under 11. Going brushless outrunner (400XT) on the S/S will effect a marked improvement in the flight characteristics of yours for a minimal investment. :)

Walt Thyng
12-01-2005, 02:52 PM
clik,
go to the SLK (ecalc) website. Sid has an adaptor that will allow using almost any charger for LiPos. Reviews have been good. I think he calls his product "LiPodapter".
Walt

Rugar
12-01-2005, 02:54 PM
clik,
go to the SLK (ecalc) website. Sid has an adaptor that will allow using almost any charger for LiPos. Reviews have been good. I think he calls his product "LiPodapter".
Walt

Link?

qban_flyer
12-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Do you have a link to the SLK site you mention on your post to clik?

If so, can you post it here for everyone's benefit?

cliktobuy
12-01-2005, 05:16 PM
is this it? http://www.slkelectronics.com/lipodapter/index.htm

cliktobuy
12-01-2005, 05:23 PM
if u read the tutorial it says it only charges the battery about 85-90%. How long does it normally take to charge a li-po?

savydad
12-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a better suggestion for price-wise...the bp21 or 12 or 8/9 and their towerpro 15a esc to go along with it. They can be had for under $50 shipped for both. Almost as good and half the cost, and no need to worry about gearboxes. Lots of people are using them and have great results on the slowstick...as well as other gws planes. Good combo for ~20oz planes.

Todd

Walt Thyng
12-01-2005, 07:21 PM
www.slkelectronics.com

qban_flyer
12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
The set up mentioned and pictured above (post #3) costs $69.84 and we have proven it to outperform the BP/TowerPro set up mentioned. IMHO, it also looks more elegant on the Slow Stick than the TowerPro affair, and it is sturdier.

A member in our flying group bought two of the BP/TowerPro combos. One was wired and tested. The same thing was done with the 400XT/SS-12 I have been using with my Slow Stick.

While the BP/TowerPro set up did an admirable job with the Slow Stick, the Esskay 400XT/GP SS-12 Combo outdid it in every repect. What's more, the 400XT/GP combo drew just under 10 amps with three cells while providing in excess of 17 oz of thrust. The BP/TowerPro delivered similar performance but its current draw reached to 15 amps and was noticeably noisier.

The owner of the BP/TowerPro set up ended up selling both the used and the new TowerPro motors, and bought himself six (at last count) of the 400XTs which he is using with the TowerPro 18A ESCs.

In the end, it is a matter of choice, though I wouldn't trade one of my 400XTs for two of the BP motors. Stunning performance within the reach of everyone's budget. :)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25517&postcount=3

qban_flyer
12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
www.slkelectronics (http://www.%3Cb%3Eslkelectronics%3C/b%3E).com

Thanks for the link.

Interesting site, though I will have to read more about the Lipodapter.

savydad
12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
I gotcha qban, I was suggesting an alternative for his original choice, like you said it's more expensive and IMHO overpriced. When regular brushed/can motors are going for $10 max, there's no reason for a b/l to cost that much, as they are easier to build. I've read lots of good about the 400xt, and I don't have any experience with any b/l yet, but lots of research.

Todd

qban_flyer
12-02-2005, 01:03 AM
I gotcha qban, I was suggesting an alternative for his original choice, like you said it's more expensive and IMHO overpriced. When regular brushed/can motors are going for $10 max, there's no reason for a b/l to cost that much, as they are easier to build. I've read lots of good about the 400xt, and I don't have any experience with any b/l yet, but lots of research.

Todd
No problem.

I have dealt with many of these motors and am trying to prevent others from making the same mistakes others have made.

WARNING:
There is a currently revived post here in Watt Flyer (10-16-05) selling "400XTs". For those who may be interested in "buying" it, I would suggest that they stop by the link I have included below and read every post and inspect every photo carefully. The thread it will take you to will be an eye opener, especially posts #15 and #16.

There are Esskay 400XTs, those are sold by Hobby Lobby, then there are others claiming to be the same thing. That thread will assist everyone here make the correct decision.

Hopefully no one here will go through what Tw has experienced with his first "400XT" one not purchased from Hobby Lobby.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2544

cliktobuy
12-02-2005, 03:32 AM
thats something ill keep an eye out for, i havn't looked yet but ebay may not be the place for stuff since it could be a knock off.

TopFoam
12-03-2005, 05:21 AM
I use a BP-12 combo, and an Apache 202 for charging 1200 2S packs. It is the cheapest way to get into brushless if you are on a budget. I use them on a Slow Stick and a Foamfly P-47. Both are fantastic to fly and get me at least 25 minutes of flying time.

cliktobuy
12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
wow that BP-12 is cheap at $20 but what would the climb rate and performance be. if i get a good motor it should be the last one i buy for a while. thanks

qban_flyer
12-03-2005, 06:44 AM
thats something ill keep an eye out for, i havn't looked yet but ebay may not be the place for stuff since it could be a knock off.
The ones being sold here on Watt Flyer by an individual in China are "knock offs", copies. :mad:

cliktobuy
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
ok i'm getting ready to order now. do i want the 10x3.8sf with the 400xt using 750mah ni-mh? or should i get a different size? thanks!!!

cliktobuy
12-03-2005, 05:55 PM
and where (link) can i find the E-flite EFLM1915 stick mount or similiar?

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 01:00 AM
ok i'm getting ready to order now. do i want the 10x3.8sf with the 400xt using 750mah ni-mh? or should i get a different size? thanks!!!

11X3.8SF when using 6 cell NIMH. 10X3.8SF when using 7 cell NIMH packs. 9X3.8SF when using 8 or more cells or three Li-Pos. :)

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 01:04 AM
and where (link) can i find the E-flite EFLM1915 stick mount or similiar?

Manufactured/distributed by Horizon Hobby. You can get your LHS to order it for you.

Link to the mount at Horizon below.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM1915

cliktobuy
12-04-2005, 05:50 AM
thanks everyone for your help :) i didn't know what to order without the help. i had to order from 3 sites and spent a lot of money :eek:

qban_flyer
12-04-2005, 02:57 PM
thanks everyone for your help :) i didn't know what to order without the help. i had to order from 3 sites and spent a lot of money :eek:

I know the feeling.

I am lucky to have enough to have two nice LHS, one is three miles from home, the other one is 11 miles away. Both can get me anything I want, and that's how I bought four of thos EFLM195 mounts. For the bargains I go on the web. :D

savydad
12-05-2005, 03:28 AM
Ooh, I hope you didn't get the batteries yet...if they are AAA's they won't be the best for power. I have 7 cell AAA's (730mah) and 6 cell 2/3aa's (600mah) and the 2/3aa's perform better on my setup, even with less cells. On a 6a and up power system, the 2/3aa or even 2/3a cells are much better, and not much difference in price. On a slow stick, the 1100-1200mah cells 2/3a will give much longer flight times and much better overall performance...it can handle the weight. I might have caught you too late, but you also might have been informed well already. Let us know how it goes!

Todd

cliktobuy
12-05-2005, 03:52 AM
those are the batteries i had, ill get what u mentioned when i get more, where can u get em' cheap? thanks!

savydad
12-05-2005, 07:04 PM
cheapbatterypacks.com or battlepack.com I've ordered from both, great service, excellent prices. If you can build your own, then an 8 cell 2/3a pack would cost about $18 shipped, $15 for 2/3aa. Did you mean you had AAA or 2/3AA? Anyhow, you'll still get stick time which is more important in the beginning than performance/overall airtime.

Todd

cliktobuy
12-06-2005, 01:03 AM
cheapbatterypacks.com or battlepack.com I've ordered from both, great service, excellent prices. If you can build your own, then an 8 cell 2/3a pack would cost about $18 shipped, $15 for 2/3aa. Did you mean you had AAA or 2/3AA? Anyhow, you'll still get stick time which is more important in the beginning than performance/overall airtime.

Todd

AAA

qban_flyer
12-06-2005, 01:14 AM
AAA 730s will work fine, though they might get a bit warmer than normal @ 8A or higher current draw.

Since there is no danger of them igniting or bursting you can use them until you can afford to get 2/3AA packs. I have used 2/3AA packs up to 12A with no problems.

Let your AAA packs cool off for a while before recharging them. :)

cliktobuy
12-06-2005, 01:19 AM
yeah i plan on gettin some packs soon prolly after i try out my stuff when i get it. i like to fly nice and easy at 1/4-1/2 throttle and don't go full too long (i like the long flights).:)

savydad
12-06-2005, 05:16 AM
that's exactly how I like to fly, relaxing and slowww. My 2 setups that I use the AAA's in will not allow me to go less than 1/2, but they are good enough for relaxing, slow flights. 2/3aa are excellent, but for hour-long flights, I've heard the 2/3a are perfect for, especially when throttle management is used.

Todd

cliktobuy
12-06-2005, 05:20 AM
i couldn't seem to find any small packs on www.battlepacks.com (http://www.battlepacks.com) :( the one hour flights that would be awesome

savydad
12-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Ah, forgot they don't have the 2/3aa, the smallest is 2/3a. Cheapbatterypacks.com has the 2/3aa, and for the price I'd go with the 2/3a myself. battlepack is a hair cheaper on the IB and they are the best one out there right now. Either way an 8 cell is gonna be less than $20 shipped. The 4/5a go way up in price, so that may be out of your battery budget. I know when I go to get some packs, I'll be getting the IB 2/3a for the slowstick and an upcoming warbird I plan on.

Todd

SBR_RV
12-07-2005, 06:09 AM
lol dont forget to strengthen those tail FEATHERS :D
you will have an even greather time flying your SS wether its flying slow or straight up vertical.
good luck;)

Bombardier97
02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok I just got trying fly my slow stick with 400xt outrunner on it. I moved the wing back a lil bit.. I hand launched it not even half throttle. It went straight in the air again. I could not get it to fly in a straight line. Just went straight up.. I still think Im tail heavy.... My battery is just under the wing. I think It needs to be behind the motor for nose weight .. Thanks

Rugar
02-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Ok I just got trying fly my slow stick with 400xt outrunner on it. I moved the wing back a lil bit.. I hand launched it not even half throttle. It went straight in the air again. I could not get it to fly in a straight line. Just went straight up.. I still think Im tail heavy.... My battery is just under the wing. I think It needs to be behind the motor for nose weight .. Thanks

Measure back from the front edge of the wing and put a line 4 1/8" on each side of the bottom of the wing next to the fuse. Make the plane ready to fly with everything on it including the battery. Now balance the plane on your finger tips on the two lines you marked on the bottom of the wing. Move the battery, ESC, RX, or the wing forward or backwards until it will balance level.

Team_Orion_Avionics
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
We just updated our Fitment Guide today to include GWS, here you will find all our recommendation for running our product in any of the Slow Stick aircraft GWS makes. Incase anyone is interested.

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Menu/Downloads/Fitment+Guide