PDA

View Full Version : Busted Ascent - How to fix?

goofeyfoot
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi guys.

I stored a powered glider, an "Ascent" with a speed four hundred motor.

Well things in the attic started to shift and something ended up on top of my plane.

The plane is still good except for the stab. It is bent to the left. I guess I need to replace the tail or at least cut it out and reset it.

Problem is that the tail is epoxied into the thin fusalage tail section. So getting the tail off is going to make a mess of things.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Michael

Don Sims
11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Michael any chance of taking the covering apart and CA'ing the balsa back together?

goofeyfoot
11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Interestingly, the balsa is all intact. The stab is just bent to one side. Somehow, none of the pieces is busted. So it is a question of resetting the stab which unfortunately is glued in with epoxy. Getting it free will be difficult - maybe impossible.

Michael

Don Sims
11-21-2007, 01:05 AM
No possibility of getting a dremel in there with a disk blade on it? Light hits of the epoxy may allow you to cut through it.

goofeyfoot
11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Guys:

Thanks for the ideas. But on closer examination, I think this may be hopeless.

You know that tube that forms the rear of the fuse? Well that thing looks like it got both twisted and also bent towards the left of the centerline. That's on top of the other problems I mentioned above.

Short of some sort of laser alignment and resetting that thing, then fixing the tail too, I don't think this thing can be made flyable at all. Seems like a shame to have all these twists and such. Everything else is good as new

Maybe cheap old me will have to break down and buy a new airframe. If I weren't so broke that wouldn't be a big deal!

Thanks again and best regards.

Michael

Don Sims
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Michael, I twisted the CF tube on mine with a unscheduled landing and just used that's about right twisting it back then some thin CA to keep it twisted where I wanted it. The plane still flew with some trimming.

goofeyfoot
11-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Don:

I see what you mean.

Maybe I could try some low level heat to loosen things up. Then maybe I can tweak her back into shape.

Thanks, and will let you know what happens.

Michael