PDA

View Full Version : E-Flite Power 46 Outrunner ?????

KenK
11-30-2005, 01:03 AM
I Just posted this in Power forum but thought I would try here too!!!

I am converting a Carl Goldberg Clipped Wing Cub to electric. It started out about 7lb 8oz with old radio sys. & gas setup. I have the weight down to around 5lb :D now with everything but the motor/esc & bat.
Anyone have any input on E-flite's new 46 Outrunners??? I was going to try one in my latest gas to electric conversion project.
I thought there might be some info by now on these new motors???
I have had good luck with my 370 & 400 outrunners so I wanted to stay with an E-flite motor.
I will be looking forward to seeing Iif anyone has any comments.

qban_flyer
11-30-2005, 01:32 AM
From their web site and the owner's manual:

Ideal for 40- to 46-size airplanes 4- to 7-pounds (1.8-3.2 Kg), 25- to 40-size 3D airplanes up to 5-pounds (2.2 Kg), or models requiring up to 800 watts of power.

Comes with:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Images/px-clear.gif
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Images/blue-bullet-big.gifGold Bullet Connector Set,3.5mm (3) (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLA241)http://www.horizonhobby.com/Images/blue-bullet-big.gifProp Adapter with Collet, 6mm (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM1926)

Needed to complete:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Images/px-clear.gif
60A Brushless ESC
4S - 5S Li-Po or 12 - 16 Cell Ni-MH/Ni-Cd
12x8 to 14x10

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4046A

I believe it will definitely haul you Cub up with no problems. I have had this motor and its larger brother (Power 60) in my hands at my favorite LHS. They are stunning looking motors.

The Power 60 will fly a ten pound plane with ease. :)

Matt Kirsch
11-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Cubs are magical creatures. They seem to need only a spinning prop to achieve flight, not necessarily lots of power.

Like qban says, the Power 46 would be a great choice. I would run a 4S LiPoly and a 13x8 or 14x8 prop, judging by the performance of motors with similar specifications (i.e. AXi 4120/14).

debhicks
11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll tell you this, not having seen it run it is an impressive looking motor. We have the 46 and the 60 in stock. And if your local shop doesn't have em free shipping as they are both over $100.00.

But having seen it, as I said in my new arrival announcement WOW. We don't have batteries in stock to support it but will get them in for those that want it. It's a relatively hefty investment. :)

Not for the faint of heart

Matt Kirsch
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
The battery investment isn't all that bad... A 4S Kokam Cellpro 3200mAh pack, which will take anything this motor can throw at it, and give 10 minute flights, is only about $170.

debhicks
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Whew!:)
What about that speed control?

It's a big investment for a small shop or even a shop that does not have the interest quite yet. You can stock in a good supply of batteries, speed controls and motors for parkflyers vs the specialized larger stuff. It's specialized right now. But as the demand grows, and I can't wait, then they to will be commonly placed on the shelf for eager customers to add to their toy bins. :)

Rugar
11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
The battery investment isn't all that bad... A 4S Kokam Cellpro 3200mAh pack, which will take anything this motor can throw at it, and give 10 minute flights, is only about $170.

I think she might have meant a Heavy Investment to stock her store with them, which would be several.

KenK
11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi; Do you think I should use only 1 4S Kokam Cellpro 3200mAh pack ?? For some reason I was thinking I needed 2 of these bat's ??? These are 14.5 oz WOW I sure will be up to the 7lb I started at!!! Looks like I could expect 5+ minutes at 7+lb ???
Speed controler will be in tomorrow ...Castle Creations Phoenix 60
I picked up the E-flite 46 Outrunner at LHS $109 he invested in 6... 46's & 6.... 60's.... I figure if it isn't big enough for my Cub I will just get a plane that likes it!!! Only problem is I want one of everything.It is hard to decide. I would really like a Biplane ...Pitts or WWI Spad!!!!!

:confused: which one first :confused: maybe both. Got a long winter to get them ready:D

Thanks for info;

qban_flyer
12-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi;
Only problem is I want one of everything.It is hard to decide. I would really like a Biplane ...Pitts or WWI Spad!!!!!

:confused: which one first :confused: maybe both. Got a long winter to get them ready:D

Thanks for info;

Don't we all? I have so many in their boxes, still I keep getting more and more planes. Most everyone in this area behaves the same was. Could it be the R/C Flu? :D

Milton
12-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi; Do you think I should use only 1 4S Kokam Cellpro 3200mAh pack ?? For some reason I was thinking I needed 2 of these bat's ??? These are 14.5 oz WOW I sure will be up to the 7lb I started at!!! Looks like I could expect 5+ minutes at 7+lb ???
Speed controler will be in tomorrow ...Castle Creations Phoenix 60
I picked up the E-flite 46 Outrunner at LHS $109 he invested in 6... 46's & 6.... 60's.... I figure if it isn't big enough for my Cub I will just get a plane that likes it!!! Only problem is I want one of everything.It is hard to decide. I would really like a Biplane ...Pitts or WWI Spad!!!!!

Thanks for info;

The plane will unload in the air and not draw as many amps, I have a Rearwin Speedster that weighs 19 1/2 lbs and draws 68 amps static with a 8S battery, My average in flight amp draw is 35 amps.
I make my large packs from small pack's, Setting up a 60 Ultra stick now with a 5S3p set using 3-3S-2200 mAh and 3-2S-2200 mAh pack's.
If you set it up with a 5S 2P set they would weight 19.7 oz and be 4400 mAh that could draw 52 amps.
If you set it for 40 amps at 5 X 3.4 volts (under a load) = 680 watts in.
With a 4S at 3.4 volts (under load) will be 544 watts in.
By the time you get it in the air I will bet your average amp draw will be around 25 amps and give you about 12 to 13 min flying time.
It is better to have high voltage and low amp draw than low voltage and high amp draw.

Matt Kirsch
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
KenK,

I believe you certainly can get away with a single 4S pack. They are rated to handle bursts of 60 Amps, and you will probably want to prop for 40 Amps, perhaps less. This is, after all, a Piper Cub, not a 3D barn-burner.

The Cub may come out at 7lbs or so, but you'll never notice a lack of power. I have an 81" Cub myself, powered by a *gasp* .46 glow engine. Running the engine at any more than half throttle just makes more noise... Cubs just don't need that much power.

KenK
12-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I think I know what you mean but can you clear up the 2s2p/3s2p/5s4p & 5S3p/ & 3-3S-2200 mAh and 3-2S-2200 mAh . I have to do some research on the terminology I guess???
=Packs
=Cell
Thanks I figured I would try to use 2 batt packs so if 1 failed I would loose onle 1/2 my cost? If I use 1 bat then it craps out I have to replace the whole thing. Does this make sense??
:confused: Thanks:confused:

rcfoamy
12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Ken,

Take a look at the Tanic battery packs at Tanicpacks.com or call Brian at Tanic and see what he can do for you...
Tell him Scott Anderson sent you..

Scott Anderson

Turbojoe
12-03-2005, 12:55 AM
I agree with Deb. This is one nice looking motor. I got to see one in a gorgeous Seagulls models Zero ARF this past weekend. Unfortunately I didn't see it fly. I'm waiting to hear more on this motor as I want to do a .40 size conversion. I'm waiting for a Goldberg Eaglet 50 to get here that I already have an AXI for. I have a Sig Somethin' Extra that's ready to cover that I may decide to convert too. This motor will work well in it I hope.

Joe