PDA

View Full Version : Biplane Challanges?

haze_b
11-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Aloha,

I've been thinking about getting a biplane for my next model and came across this beauty http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6506 I think I'm in love!! :$

I've already got the power system for it, so I think I'll be grabbing this after the holidays. :ws:

Just a shout out the you biplane guys, wondering if there are any unique challanges to flying a biplane. Any tip would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays with aloha from Hawaii.

firemanbill
11-23-2007, 02:06 AM
She's a beauty! Gotta love the Waco. I have this one.

This one looks about the same size wise, mine has a 72" span. It flies very well and looks great in the air.

That one looks similar in color so I'll give you this tip... don't fly in the setting sun... it matches the color of the sky really well...:o

Mine needs to come in with a bit of speed to. I thought it would float down pretty good for landings but it likes to tip stall at what I though would be a good approach speed... turns out that speed was a bit higher than I thought it would be.

Other than that I have no complaints over how she flies.

What motor are you going to put in it?

TLyttle
11-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Yup, sure is pretty alright! The only thing I would say is that biplanes seem to require more care during setup than monoplanes; other than that, not much difference.

haze_b
11-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Firemanbill,

Thats a beautiful Waco you've got there.

Gonna use the following setup:

AXI 4130/16
Hextronik 80A ESC
15x10 prop
6S 4200 lipo

I have a 6v regulator, so I'll be using a 2S 900 TP lipo for a flight battery.

Hopefully this will give it scale-like performance.

firemanbill
11-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks, I really enjoy it. It sure does get a lot of attention.

I'd say your power will do well. I have the following in mine and it has more than ample power but is just a bit bigger than that one

Cox 5030/18
Cox 90 Amp Opto ESC
20x10 APC Prop
8s 4000mah (2x in series)
6v radio battery
Spektrum radio gear, JR Servos

AUW on mine is around 14 lbs

I'd say you'll really enjoy it. Make sure to post lots of pics as you build it! I'll be waiting.:D

Alpea42
11-25-2007, 11:14 PM
setting up incidence on scratch built bipes is challenging but kits should pose no problem.Took me 3 tries setting up a scaled up outrage electric powered bipe.I scaled up the outrage by electricfly 150% then powered it with E Flight power 25 outrunner ,2100ma li po and 45 amp pheonix besc.I made the top wing by hot wiring dow bluecore the bottom wing and fuse came from a hobby ppl simple stick.it flew great till u know what lol

haze_b
11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh No!!!!!

I'm in big trouble.... I found another sweet looking 1/6th WACO here
http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006109 .
This one is a YMF, like Bill's, and is $100 cheaper. Decisions, decisions.....

I'd get 'em both if i could. (ie: if the wife would let me) ;)

pburt1975
11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I've seen that Waco of Bills on the ground and in the air, very nice plane, but it makes my Cox Christen Eagle look matchbox size.

firemanbill
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh No!!!!!

I'm in big trouble.... I found another sweet looking 1/6th WACO here
http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006109 .
This one is a YMF, like Bill's, and is $100 cheaper. Decisions, decisions.....

I'd get 'em both if i could. (ie: if the wife would let me) ;)

Thanks Paul, you are too kind!

Yes that is a very nice bird too Haze. Just a tad bit smaller than mine which makes it a tad bit cheaper to power as well.

I haven't seen one but suspect it would be comparable in build quailty to it's big brother!:D

haze_b
01-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Well, I finally done, done it!! :Q

I ordered my PICA 1/6 YMF-5 (Blue) from http://www.quicktechhobby.com today. (The Cox site was sold out. If you want one, you'd better move quickly)

I guess I'll be joining the WACO brotherhood soon. :ws:

I'll take lots of pics during assembly.

FlyingMonkey
01-09-2008, 03:52 AM
I'll take lots of pics during assembly.

that's manditory!

firemanbill
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
You'll love it Haze! They really do make nice flying planes!

haze_b
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Aloha Bill,

I'm really excited about this model, looking forward to getting it. (and getting in in the air!) :ws:

I'm curious how you built your battery compartment. You wouldn't happen to have some build photos, would ya?

haze_b
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
OH NO!!!!!!

I just found out that my plane is on backorder. It will be at least 4 months before I get my plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley35.gif

I was really looking forward to getting my hands on the YMF.
Now I'm debating whether to wait it out or cancel the order and go for the SIG WACO SRE for $100 more. (or the SIG P-51B)

haze_b
01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Aloha,

Well I decided to cancel the order, for the Cox/PICA 60" YMF-5, when I found out, from another source, that the next shipment isn't expected 'til late fall 2008. So with that knowledge, I went to my LHS and ordered the SIG WACO SRE I was originally considering. I ran the numbers and it seems the power system I have will fly it just fine on 7s vice 6s. (good thing I already have the battery packs:tc:)

I will do a build/conversion thread when i get my hands on it.

Madman
01-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Now I'm debating whether to wait it out or cancel the order and go for the SIG WACO SRE for $100 more. (or the SIG P-51B)I'm interested in the SRE, too. Know of anyone that's electrified it? I just cranked up a thread on that one today. EVERYONE has a P-51. Know what? It has one too few wings!:Q

firemanbill
01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey Haze just saw this. Missed it the other day when you posted it.

Sorry to hear the YMF is on backorder...:( The Sig You and Madman are looking at should be a great choice too!

E-Challenged
02-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Follow kit directions about motor thrust angles and control surface throws. Make sure top wing is set up at proper angles on the cabanes. Now warps allowed.
Avoid tail heaviness during the build and having to add lots of ballast to the nose later increasing wing loading. Choice of motor, battery pack, location of R/C gear, tail surface linkage , tail wheel weight and mounting and covering are important with all short nosed radial engine designs. 100 watts per pound with a high drag large cowl model like this is a good idea. Motor must be happy swinging a prop that is twice the size of the cowl ring.

You will probably need to use up elevator to keep tailwheel on the ground during early part of takeoff run and rudder to keep it straight. Bipes have a tendency to rotate too much and go nose up after lift-off so maybe use a little down trim, accelerate gradually and use rudder to keep straight while tail raises and let it lift off when ready, Let it gain altitude gradually before attempting trim settings. Tip: have a trusted buddy gradually set elevator and aileron trims while you hang onto the sticks. You will find that coordinated rudder and ailerons are needed to counter adverse yaw. Two wings and a big flat engine cowl make for a lot of drag.Your motor must be capable of swinging a prop that is nearly twice the diameter of the cowl. Keep about 1/4 throttle on during early landings and keep the nose level until just before touch down and give up-elevator to prevent tip overs just after you are down . If you are relatively inexperienced you might consider letting a trusted veteran with bipe experience do the maiden/trim flight and turn it over to you in the air. Good luck!

haze_b
02-29-2008, 01:42 AM
E-cahallange,

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting the SRE and have about 8 flights on her now. I've noticed some of the flight characteristics you've mentioned (especially wanting to rotate early and hard). They were managable, but if my CG was off, it could have been a bit ugly.
It happens to be a really sweet flyer with my setup. I'm really hooked now. I love the look and flight profile of a scale biplane. It's also good to break away from the usual H9 warbird crowd.
Right now I'm considering which Bipe is next on the list. Maybe another WACO :Q

Madman
02-29-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm really hooked now. I love the look and flight profile of a scale biplane. It's also good to break away from the usual H9 warbird crowd.
Right now I'm considering which Bipe is next on the list. Maybe another WACO :QI just saw my 2nd e-conversion of this Beech Staggerwing ... what a fantastic scale model it makes! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLVG5&P=ML

haze_b
02-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Madman,

I agree, the Beech Staggerwing looks great! I've also been looking at the Kanghe WACO http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHRD0&P=ML. or the 1/5th Cox/PICA YMF-5 like Bill's (if they ever get back in stock). Maybe a big Pitts 12 ;-).

I think I would go gasoline power on any of the above though, vice electric. (Much cheaper :p)

Madman
02-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Madman,
I agree, the Beech Staggerwing looks great! I've also been looking at the Kanghe WACO http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHRD0&P=ML. or the 1/5th Cox/PICA YMF-5 like Bill's (if they ever get back in stock). Maybe a big Pitts 12 ;-).

I think I would go gasoline power on any of the above though, vice electric. (Much cheaper :p)That particular Waco is stunning. Love it. Since i belong to an all-electric club (in a neighborhood and community that despises fossil fueled engines), I'm building THIS Pitts 12:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2550
and she's GREAT, so far. However, with a 40 inch wingspan, she might be just a tad undersized for you?

haze_b
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Madman,

I hear ya man. Flying sites are scarce in many places because of the noise issues. I feel fortunate to have a variety of flying sites within 20 mins of my home. The e-flite Pitts is sweet. I've just gotten accustomed to .40 - 60 sized planes, they fly so well and are easier to see (my eyes suck ;-)).

I perfer to fly electric, but with the high cost and fragility of Lipos, electrifying anything above a .60 szie plane, is not very economical for me.